• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Xbox to clean house and plan the next-generation console

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Mediocrity requires that it be in the middle of the pack. Xbox is not mediocre, it is abysmal. We are discussing how abysmal Xbox is as a failing division of Microsoft, that is why it is a popular topic.

Xbox doesn't come second in gaming; it came in THIRD.

By all means, enjoy your Xbox and your games. Nothing anyone else say or do would invalid any joy you derive from your gaming experience. The same way Dreamcast players have all the reason in the world to play the best arcade ports the industry had to offer. But your enjoyment doesn't change the direction the wind is blowing.
If it's abysmal, why are you here talking about it? How many other "abysmal" companies or games do you actually talk about on these forums?

3rd or not, especially after the ABK acquisition, not one of you naysayers will be able to sleep soundly until you actually see what Xbox plans to do with all those studios. How many studios are working on brand new exclusives that won't hit PlayStation. How well the Xbox division is doing once ABK is fully integrated. If Sony can stand the tsunami that's well on its way after.

It's one of the reasons why all of the sudden console sales are back at the top of discussions (even though it's been the biggest open secret that Xbox isn't dependent on solely console sales for years) and Sony fans continue to take Phil's statement out of context. There's a whole ass ongoing discussion about Xbox going out of business if "console sales don't improve by 2027". The whole discussion is made out of a straw man argument.

It's also why there are threads upon threads about Starfield being a flop or failure even though there have been numbers stating empirical facts and the absolute opposite. It's text book denial and the definition of living in an echo chamber. I've never seen a collective of gamers lean so heavy on misinformation and delusion in all my years of gaming.

Xbox may be 3rd but they move like the top dog. The whole industry is feeling it and sees it. I could go on but, there's no reason to. I'll leave it here..

2024 will be very interesting, indeed.

RCU005

Or go 3rd party publishing and get access to Playstation and Nintendo installbase.

People make fun of this statement, but it really is the next logical step for them. With Activision purchase, they would be a huge third party publisher with potential to have colossal success. Of course, they would still need to change management in order for all the IPs the have to become great games, but they could be huge as third party.

They could still make exclusivity deals for Nintendo and Sony depending on the game. They could have GamePass be a part of all consoles (and all media).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If it's abysmal, why are you here talking about it?
People don't really discuss mediocre things. Hence why no one here has uttered the words Atomic Heart since it's release. Abysmal things are fun to rip apart, hence why Redfall keeps getting attention. The opposite of love is not hate, it's apathy. Both love and hate give something attention, whether wanted or unwanted attention. People here love to rip on Xbox because for 10 years it has been fucking up and making mistake after mistake, especially after their wins from 2001-2010.

Like let's be real here, would the Xbox hate even be as great as it is if the OG and 360 never existed? You'd definitely get some heckling and teases from the other side of the camp but otherwise it'd be just peachy. No one would have any reason to care if the only thing Xbox knew for the past 20 years was mediocrity. It's the fall from grace that results in the reactions and attention you see here. Look at Stadia for example. hardly anyone discussed it when it was a thing (and when people did talk about it, it was mostly to shit on it) and now no one even mentions it.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
If it's abysmal, why are you here talking about it? How many other "abysmal" companies or games do you actually talk about on these forums?

3rd or not, especially after the ABK acquisition, not one of you naysayers will be able to sleep soundly until you actually see what Xbox plans to do with all those studios. How many studios are working on brand new exclusives that won't hit PlayStation. How well the Xbox division is doing once ABK is fully integrated. If Sony can stand the tsunami that's well on its way after.

It's one of the reasons why all of the sudden console sales are back at the top of discussions (even though it's been the biggest open secret that Xbox isn't dependent on solely console sales for years) and Sony fans continue to take Phil's statement out of context. There's a whole ass ongoing discussion about Xbox going out of business if "console sales don't improve by 2027". The whole discussion is made out of a straw man argument.

It's also why there are threads upon threads about Starfield being a flop or failure even though there have been numbers stating empirical facts and the absolute opposite. It's text book denial and the definition of living in an echo chamber. I've never seen a collective of gamers lean so heavy on misinformation and delusion in all my years of gaming.

Xbox may be 3rd but they move like the top dog. The whole industry is feeling it and sees it. I could go on but, there's no reason to. I'll leave it here..

You're literally crying...

Give it a rest man, no one is out to get neither you, nor your beloved multi trillion company.

JFC wtf am I reading, it's eye rolling stuff...

Gavon West

You're literally crying...

Give it a rest man, no one is out to get neither you, nor your beloved multi trillion company.

JFC wtf am I reading, it's eye rolling stuff...
Oh, FFS. I point out that the Xbox platform is anything BUT abysmal by staying facts, but I'm the one crying? Eye rolling stuff indeed...

Go have a fruit roll up and play spiderman, bro. Seriously.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Oh, FFS. I point out that the Xbox platform is anything BUT abysmal by staying facts, but I'm the one crying? Eye rolling stuff indeed...

Go have a fruit roll up and play spiderman, bro. Seriously.

Hey bro, talking about "delusion"...
At the very least, try to have some friggin' self-awareness when you start typing things on your keyboard.

Your "facts" are based on your bias - and while "persecution complex" gets thrown out a lot in here , unfortunately, this is yet another case suffering from it.

It's not healthy in the end, everyone's an "enemy", everyone's out to get you and your beloved multi trillion company, everyone else is biased except, well, you...

It's gotten comedic at this point and the funny thing is that you don't even get it.

Again, zero self-awareness whatsoever, but sure, keep fighting the good fight friend !

PS : Thanks for getting cute but I hate both fruit roll ups and anything super-hero related

I said it before, but the XBOX needs an IDENTITY. XBOX is a good platform imo, but what’s really persuading people to buy it over a PlayStation at this point? Gamepass is nice, but when you basically have the exact same games and features as the competition, it’s simply not enough when the competition has more critically acclaimed exclusives and a better reputation. Also, day one XBOX exclusive PC games imho was another huge contributing factor because it’s yet another reason not to invest in your platform.

Klayzer

Hey bro, talking about "delusion"...
At the very least, try to have some friggin' self-awareness when you start typing things on your keyboard.

Your "facts" are based on your bias - and while "persecution complex" gets thrown out a lot in here , unfortunately, this is yet another case suffering from it.

It's not healthy in the end, everyone's an "enemy", everyone's out to get you and your beloved multi trillion company, everyone else is biased except, well, you...

It's gotten comedic at this point and the funny thing is that you don't even get it.

Again, zero self-awareness whatsoever, but sure, keep fighting the good fight friend !

PS : Thanks for getting cute but I hate both fruit roll ups and anything super-hero related
Something is definitely wrong with him. Rampage after rampage, with no self-awareness, bat shit crazy Xbox future predictions, and a unhealthy victim complex.

OrtizTwelve

A lot of hyperbole on here without much understanding of business and Microsoft’s true ambitions.

The future of XBOX is not as a stand-alone console, but as a platform / service via GamePass. There’s a reason why Microsoft has been investing so heavily with acquisitions... within the next half-decade they will likely become the largest game maker/publisher on the market if they aren’t already on their way and the goal is to make GamePass akin to a Netflix or Disney+, a service most people will want/need to subscribe to with guaranteed monthly revenue for Microsoft.

Whether this is the right step for the future of gaming and consumers remains to be seen, however it seems likely this is where the future lies in video gaming: services. In its current form, GamePass is EXCELLENT value for the subscription fee and I can’t think of other comparable offerings in the marketplace. Yes, I understand there’s PS+, but from what I have seen it looks mediocre.

In summary, Microsoft doesn’t care if you play their games on an XBOX console, PC, mobile, cloud —- they just want you to pay them monthly and subscribe to GamePass as that’s their end goal.

Last edited:

XXL

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

This is worthy of becoming copy pasta and getting spread all over the internet like the "Japanese expert" meme.

Bless your heart.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

A lot of hyperbole on here without much understanding of business and Microsoft’s true ambitions.

The future of XBOX is not as a stand-alone console, but as a platform / service via GamePass. There’s a reason why Microsoft has been investing so heavily with acquisitions... within the next half-decade they will likely become the largest game maker/publisher on the market if they aren’t already on their way and the goal is to make GamePass akin to a Netflix or Disney+, a service most people will want/need to subscribe to with guaranteed monthly revenue for Microsoft.

Whether this is the right step for the future of gaming and consumers remains to be seen, however it seems likely this is where the future lies in video gaming: services. In its current form, GamePass is EXCELLENT value for the subscription fee and I can’t think of other comparable offerings in the marketplace. Yes, I understand there’s PS+, but from what I have seen it looks mediocre.

In summary, Microsoft doesn’t care if you play their games on an XBOX console, PC, mobile, cloud —- they just want you to pay them monthly and subscribe to GamePass as that’s their end goal.
Realistically how can Microsoft be the Netflix of gaming? Movies can be made on a strict timeline, be released when promised, and most movies have at least the potential of being profitable if not at least make their money back. Gaming has no such assurances. There are too many wildcards to guarantee anything. The gaming crowd is much more fickle, more vocal, more ready to take a dump on anything that does not suit their tastes. I can't see how Gamepass can really be profitable without an outrageous monthly fee. Microsoft is floating Gamepass because they can, but I doubt they want to do that forever.

Last edited:
I would love to live in a world of just one console that has games. Competitive prices based on need to be seen so it creates a race to the bottom benefiting consumers, one set of development tools, one price tag that shouldn't be influenced by greed or any external competitors. The choices would be phenomenal, from your GaaS infested hellscape to your once a gen singleplayer cinematic experience that sells like hot cakes.

What a world to live in.
You just described mobile

meech

Microsoft about to drop the windows machine. A box that plays games, does intensive rendering tasks, browse the Internet, download apps, and ton more utility.
Well, its actually already possible to use another browser than the Edge, for example(but the Edge is actually a decent to control with a pad, new tabs, copy and paste, everything avaiblable like on a desktop browser). Call me crazy, but i love big screen browsing on a couch.

meech

Realistically how can Microsoft be the Netflix of gaming? Movies can be made on a strict timeline, be released when promised, and most movies have at least the potential of being profitable if not at least make their money back. Gaming has no such assurances. There are too many wildcards to guarantee anything. The gaming crowd is much more fickle, more vocal, more ready to take a dump on anything that does not suit their tastes. I can't see how Gamepass can really be profitable without an outrageous monthly fee. Microsoft is floating Gamepass because they can, but I doubt they want to do that forever.
Were do you get the information that it is not profitable already?

"In a Wall Street Journal Live segment reported on by journalist Tom Warren, Spencer shed more light on the subscription service and said that it is currently profitable. However, Game Pass may be reaching a saturation point with users."

SteadyEvo

I hear you… but it’s the same story every year for Xbox. The games are coming next year. Next year will be better. In the Xbox world better days are always a year away.

Who knows? Maybe 2024 will be amazing.

Sorcerer

Were do you get the information that it is not profitable already?

"In a Wall Street Journal Live segment reported on by journalist Tom Warren, Spencer shed more light on the subscription service and said that it is currently profitable. However, Game Pass may be reaching a saturation point with users."
Sorry, If I came across as assuredly knowing, I thought my post was merely casting doubt. If it is profitable at it's current pricing I would be shocked, but I guess it's somehow possible?

SteadyEvo

I wonder how many of the decision makers are gamers? Feels like they’re more business men/women and are clueless when it comes to what their customers want.

Gavon West

I hear you… but it’s the same story every year for Xbox. The games are coming next year. Next year will be better. In the Xbox world better days are always a year away.

Who knows? Maybe 2024 will be amazing.
Only, they did have a pretty banger year this year with the exception of redfall. And even that is on the Steam uptick. We got Avowed, HBII and who knows what else next year. Hoping to hear something about the next Gears.

Brucey

They need to bring back whoever was in charge of Xbox during the first gen and 360. Whoever got promoted towards the end of 360's life just ruined the whole thing.
J Allard, Ed Fries, Seamus Blackley, even Robbie Bach are long gone now. A good read on those core guys that birthed the OG Xbox.

Alan Wake

J Allard, Ed Fries, Seamus Blackley, even Robbie Bach are long gone now. A good read on those core guys that birthed the OG Xbox.

Even Peter Moore is long gone. Things really changed.

DryvBy

Here's an idea: start giving a shit. That would make a huge difference. And I don't mean pumping tens of billions into questionable studios, I mean for them to actually give a damn. Because right now, Microsoft does not.

Their emails revealed a key strategy of just buying out the competition. They don't care and won't. They're not just behind after major acquisitions, they're actually further behind this gen than last somehow. And as someone that's owned every Xbox, I have no idea how they managed to do that since Xbox One was one of the worst consoles I've ever owned.

They don't want to invest in games. They want to dominate without the work.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Jack of all trades, master of none. Will Microsoft bet on Gamepass work out for them? No idea. But saying that our posts here are hyperbole is missing a few key points. Xbox is first and foremost a console, and the services you are talking about are heavily relying on it. The games on Gamepass must work on Xbox. Most consumers do so from a Xbox console. Games have to be made with those consoles limitations, like the Series S small amount of memory. This is not a critic. The series S is sold heavily below cost. You can't see the sales of their consoles failing and simply saying that it don't matter. Microzoft ambitions can't be realized if their core offering is not judged valuable by their customers. If they go third party then yes a lot of what you said would make more sense. But right now they are still in the console market. And as we have often seen, once clearly behind the problems are only beginning.

SimTourist

People said the same thing before Series released, the hardware is not the issue, it's the games, quantity and quality of those games. But the writing was on the wall when people worshipped Spencer as the savior of Xbox, conveniently forgetting that he was in charge of 1st party during 360's second half of it's life and he never brought the goods, it was dumb to think anything would change when he got promoted. The situation has been the same for nearly 15 years at this point, except back then at least Halo, Gears and Forza were still good.

Last edited:

yazenov

In what way will 2024 be interesting for Xbox? Serious question here.

Starfield failed to change the decline for the XBS in 2023 YoY, and that game was supposed to be the biggest Xbox game of the generation. What game in 2024 will make a meaningful impact on Xbox that will stop the decline in hardware sales? Because I believe 2024 will be much worse for XBS than in 2023.

But I would love to hear your opinion on why 2024 will be interesting. We have heard the same song and dance that will be interesting next year, every year since the launch of the console. Yet every time you guys are disappointed at the outcome. Is it wishful thinking or blind faith?

Last edited:

havoc00

To be fair, BC may never have been important to havoc00 havoc00 but It is often cited as an advantage for owning Xbox. Of course, there are plenty of multiplayer games on PS4 so not sure where his claim that 99% of PS4 games are single player comes from.
What are some active bc mp games that are ps exclusive right now ?

havoc00

What does being exclusive have to do with anything? If people bought MP games on PS4 then that's reason to stick with PS and not jump to Xbox. That's exactly the point Phil Spencer made not too long ago about why losing last gen was the worst gen to lose.
When I fire up both systems I don’t want to play sp games I beat I fire up the Xbox to play active mp games I can’t play on ps I play mcc weekly gears,infinite … most ps games are one and done for me. If killzone mp got a remaster or resistance and was on ps plus I’d prob play my ps5 a lot more or even if they added the mp to the uncharted remasters

Topher

Gold Member
When I fire up both systems I don’t want to play sp games I beat I fire up the Xbox to play active mp games I can’t play on ps I play mcc weekly gears,infinite … most ps games are one and done for me. If killzone mp got a remaster or resistance and was on ps plus I’d prob play my ps5 a lot more or even if they added the mp to the uncharted remasters

That's fine, but the fact is the most popular MP games on PS are the same games on Xbox so, for most, exclusives are not even a factor for multiplayer games. Obviously, I'm not going to debate your own personal preferences.

Last edited:

Three

To be fair, BC may never have been important to havoc00 havoc00 but It is often cited as an advantage for owning Xbox. Of course, there are plenty of multiplayer games on PS4 so not sure where his claim that 99% of PS4 games are single player comes from.
Oh it has been, after the ABK acquisition of course:

Screenshot-20231129-083123-Chrome.jpg

Same way that everyone would happily patiently wait 2+ years for PC ports but Ratchet, demon's souls, Returnal, Death stranding, spiderman 1, Miles Morales, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima, HFW, etc are damaged goods and shit on PS+ because they're not "day 1".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh it has been, after the ABK acquisition of course:

Screenshot-20231129-083123-Chrome.jpg

Same way that everyone would happily patiently wait 2+ years for PC ports but Ratchet, demon's souls, Returnal, Death stranding, spiderman 1, Miles Morales, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima etc are damaged goods and shit on PS+ because they're not "day 1".

Ah.....well then his argument doesn't make a bit of sense. Can't have it both ways.

SimTourist

In what way will 2024 be interesting for Xbox? Serious question here.

Starfield failed to change the decline for the XBS in 2023 YoY, and that game was supposed to be the biggest Xbox game of the generation. What game in 2024 will make a meaningful impact on Xbox that will stop the decline in hardware sales? Because I believe 2024 will be much worse for XBS than in 2023.

But I would love to hear your opinion on why 2024 will be interesting. We have heard the same song and dance that will be interesting next year, every year since the launch of the console. Yet every time you guys are disappointed at the outcome. Is it wishful thinking or blind faith?
Yeah, they've got nothing big planned really and even then the studios seem to be struggling, Hellblade 2 was shown at the Series reveal and still nothing, Perfect Dark is in dev hell, Fable looks bad, Awoved looks super bad, etc. None of these will put Xbox into spotlight.

Klayzer

Yeah, they've got nothing big planned really and even then the studios seem to be struggling, Hellblade 2 was shown at the Series reveal and still nothing, Perfect Dark is in dev hell, Fable looks bad, Awoved looks super bad, etc. None of these will put Xbox into spotlight.
Disagree on Fable. Playground is one of the best Xbox studios. Complete faith, they will make something interesting with the IP.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Gears 🤣

Would rather play a great sp game multiple times than play some mid ass multiplayer game that isn’t even popular.

The truth is that Xbox has lost its identity. The lack of console-only exclusivity has hamstrung sales. As the install base shrinks in comparison to its competitors Xbox is becoming more and more insignificant.

It's all been so very avoidable and unnecessary. I would like to see Microsoft clean house and go in a completely different direction.

For the next system I would like to see a portable device like a Switch/Steamdeck hybrid, essentially it would be the new 'S' tier console. The 'X' or premium home experience would simply be an upgraded dock containing a discreet GPU. That way the console would be comparable in power with the next iteration PlayStation when docked but would be able to play all games on the go. The other benefit is that gamers could purchase the dock for the premium experience at any time. This would be waaay more interesting than what they are doing now.

xrnzaaas

They already have the world's most powerful console(TM). ;) They've backed themselves into a corner when they introduced Game Pass titles for PC and streaming. Now not that many people want to buy an Xbox when there are other ways of playing the "exclusives".

An even bigger problem is the software. Microsoft's biggest existing brands keep undelivering or straight up failing with the exception of Forza Horizon, but that IP is staying in the same safe spot and just bringing more maps & content. I'm not convinced people will keep consuming Horizon forever. Sure they have a breakout hit here and there (like Hi-Fi Rush this year or Pentiment last year), but it's not enough to make people switch to Xbox and/or Game Pass.

Overall it's looking quite dim. They need to make some big changes, because the current model ain't working for them and Game Pass won't continue to grow as fast as they'd want to.

Top Bottom