• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 411 71.0%
  • LCD

Votes: 108 18.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

kiphalfton

Bought an Alienware AW3423DFW QD-OLED monitor. Playing games on my current 34" IPS Alienware monitor is cancer, and always looks washed out.

Already have a LG B9 TV, which probably has some burn in but if it does (I only say that as sometimes I see darkish shadows on solid color screen) it is what it is.

Life is too short to play games on anything but OLED TV's/monitors.

Last edited:
I recently got the ASUS PG27 whatever the fuck it’s called monitor and I’ve been noticing headaches after using it.

I was wondering if this could be related to the pixel sub layout?

I’ve had a LGC2 for awhile with no issues and I had the Alienware for awhile but didn’t like the 21:9 so returned it but I never had issues.

Yerd

I nearly bought the 57" G9 monstrosity today. I don't think my 3090 could drive it well enough. I'll wait for next GPU cycle, and hopefully the price of the monitor will be same price or lower by the time they release.

I don't think the thing can even be supported by my monitor arm or fit on my desk properly. Besides the giant cost of GPU and monitor, if I wanted to continue using an arm, I think I need a stronger one. The giant curve makes me think the posts on the side of my desk could be avoided if I use the stand. I need it on the desk to find out. The posts are not far enough apart for it to fit between, but the curve might put the edges of the monitor in front of the posts.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Been waiting for the right opportunity to buy an OLED PC monitor. And 2024 seems to be it. There's a new range of QD OLED panels coming next year, and it's safe to assume most of them will surface at CES.

Alienware already announced two of theirs, and thus the AW3225QF is my current target. But what shows up at CES eventually decides.

AW3225QF
- 32"
- QD OLED (Samsung panel I assume)
- 240Hz
- Glossy screen
- Three-year burn-in warranty

Coming early January 2024.

There's also a 360Hz 27" version, AQ2725DF.

Last edited:

Field

How common are dead pixels? I just got LG c3 77” and it has one in the top left corner.

It is literally impossible to see or notice it from my normal viewing distance but still little bit annoying since it’s expensive purchase for me haha

dcx4610

I'm definitely going OLED for my next TV since they've finally fixed the auto-dimming. I'm on the fence about PC though. Anyone recommend an OLED for PC? I've heard if you are doing anything other than gaming like web browsing and anything else (which I do more than game), it's bad because of the auto-dimming and text isn't sharp.

I'm on my 3rd IPS that has developed white spots over the years and that's getting really annoying.

Whitecrow

Banned
How common are dead pixels? I just got LG c3 77” and it has one in the top left corner.

It is literally impossible to see or notice it from my normal viewing distance but still little bit annoying since it’s expensive purchase for me haha
I have one side full of them. Dont bother me one bit. They are literally invisible.

recursive

I'm definitely going OLED for my next TV since they've finally fixed the auto-dimming. I'm on the fence about PC though. Anyone recommend an OLED for PC? I've heard if you are doing anything other than gaming like web browsing and anything else (which I do more than game), it's bad because of the auto-dimming and text isn't sharp.

I'm on my 3rd IPS that has developed white spots over the years and that's getting really annoying.
I have a LG C2 42" inch I use for PC. I haven't had any issues with dimming or blurry text. It sits about 3ft back from me.

I just ordered LG OLED G3 65 inch to upgrade from LG OLED B6 55 inch.

Going to be a happy boy soon.

Happy If You Say So GIF

MacReady13

Return it. If you feel it's defective surely a replacement is warranted...

dotnotbot

From my experience it's very common with OLEDs to have at least one dead subpixel. Out of 8 different OLEDs I tried and returned each one had at least one. If the white subpixel is dead it will be the most noticeable (black on white background, other colors will be dimmer unless it's pure R/G/B), if it's the other color you probably won't even notice unless you inspect the screen closely while displaying solid color.
I would definitely exchange stuck subpixel but I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 dead ones, especially R/G/B and especially if you don't intend to use it on desk as a PC monitor.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
That rumor may have been wrong as I don’t really see any info about it online. Sorry nevermind.

Last edited:

thatJohann

I’ve had a multiple OLEDs for like 7 years but I’m tired of them. They’re too dark and contrasty and hurt my eyes after a while. I end up cranking the brightness cause I play in a bright environment. Defeats the purpose of inky blacks.

Ozzie666

We've had our LG for a few years now, maybe 4 or 5 years.. There is some burn in only noticable at certain solid colours situations. I'm curious how newer LG OLED's are now for burn in. I'm looking at buying the newest model of LG OLED. I think the major burn in was from Genshin based on the hud.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Had 55'' cx since 4/01/21 still going strong its done 1000s of hours on everyday for like 12 hours on average ( I use it for job as I work from home).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fuck, I wont be getting an OLED for a while.

I sent in my shitty Sony 900e in for repairs this year and the company Costco uses for repairs said they cant fix it due to no parts available. At least thats what they claimed. I wanted them to fix my screen and arc port issues. Costco sent me an email saying they will send me a replacement TV for free. They gave me 3 choices. Based on rtings.com the LG Nanocell TV is the best one so I chose it. Not a great reviewed tv but it does 4k at 120 with hdmi 2.1. So I'll milk this tv for a while.

So far, way better than the Sony TV.... knock on wood... No dead pixels, the OS works fine, and zero sound arc issues with my multi speaker soundbar system. Got a thinner bezel too.

Yerd

Fuck, I wont be getting an OLED for a while.

I sent in my shitty Sony 900e in for repairs this year and the company Costco uses for repairs said they cant fix it due to no parts available. At least thats what they claimed. I wanted them to fix my screen and arc port issues. Costco sent me an email saying they will send me a replacement TV for free. They gave me 3 choices. Based on rtings.com the LG Nanocell TV is the best one so I chose it. Not a great reviewed tv but it does 4k at 120 with hdmi 2.1. So I'll milk this tv for a while.

So far, way better than the Sony TV.... knock on wood... No dead pixels, the OS works fine, and zero sound arc issues with my multi speaker soundbar system. Got a thinner bezel too.
Don't they give you an option for cash out? I swear my dad did that with his costco warranty once.

Been very impressed with the more recent ones like Phillips 808 with the EX panel and the new Sony and Samsung Oled.

When I looked about 4 years ago they were hyped but overly dark, like a smoke screen effect and didn't handle quick transitions from light to dark. I wasn't that swayed. The definition and motion they can do now really takes it to another level, mesmerizing in a way.

saintjules

Talked about it in another thread but I got the 77" LG B3 for the living room and moved the 65" C9 to the bedroom. Definitely sticking with OLED for the long haul.

Yerd

Nope. They said nothing about it. I didn't ask either, since I assumed there wouldnt be a cash out option. Damn, I shoulda had asked.
Didn't mean to get your hopes up. I asked him and he said it was after a battle. He did get a cash out, but it was because the options they gave him did not have some feature that was in the broken one and he got costco involved.

kiphalfton

My LG B9 OLED TV has developed a fair number of dead pixels on the right edge of the screen. Wouldn't have probably otherwise noticed them, had I not run the "OLED burn in test" video.

It's not "throw this thing in the trash" worthy, actually far from it, but something I cannot unsee.

It hasn't been mishandled per se, but I have moved several times since I bought it 4 years ago. If anything, I'm surprised the screen hasn't been cracked from moving it so often, despite being in the box each time. Although not as bad as that it's still sad to see so many dead pixels as it's just over 4 years old and hasn't even hit 3k hours on.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

My LG B9 OLED TV has developed a fair number of dead pixels on the right edge of the screen. Wouldn't have probably otherwise noticed them, had I not run the "OLED burn in test" video.

It's not "throw this thing in the trash" worthy, actually far from it, but something I cannot unsee.

It hasn't been mishandled per se, but I have moved several times since I bought it 4 years ago. If anything, I'm surprised the screen hasn't been cracked from moving it so often, despite being in the box each time. Although not as bad as that it's still sad to see so many dead pixels as it's just over 4 years old and hasn't even hit 3k hours on.

OLED is a glass cannon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know lots of people consider the LG C3 to be the go-to TV these days, but is there also a clear-cut non-OLED tv these days that y'all would recommend? (I'm assuming not and it will require researching the pros and cons of several popular choices)

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I know lots of people consider the LG C3 to be the go-to TV these days, but is there also a clear-cut non-OLED tv these days that y'all would recommend? (I'm assuming not and it will require researching the pros and cons of several popular choices)

Sony makes the best OLEDs if money is not a problem.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Ulysses 31

Samsung high-end 4K/8K TVs.

doubt. it's the same lg panels. They just calibrate differently.
For movies? maaaybe.
For games? lg C3,g3, c4, g4 all the way
My friend, I have the C9, C1, and Sony a95k. The Sony is noticeably better, particularly for sub-4K content. It's like night and day. QD-OLED is just better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My friend, I have the C9, C1, and Sony a95k. The Sony is noticeably better, particularly for sub-4K content. It's like night and day. QD-OLED is just better.
but you don't have c2,c3,c4 or g series.
Besides, sub 4k content? like what? You sure it's not placebo?
Because on ps5, if game sare 1080p, the console is still outputting 4k. The tv would not do any upscaling to 4k signal.
As for sub 4k output, you have options on c1 too. But imo, the best option is always to disable everything.
QD-Oled is brighter and oversaturated. it might look better but is it really? not for me

Diddy X

C3 is all great except for the white, when there is a white screen it is not very bright, I tried moving settings but nothing worked.

Yerd

Sony makes the best OLEDs if money is not a problem.

doubt. it's the same lg panels. They just calibrate differently.
For movies? maaaybe.
For games? lg C3,g3, c4, g4 all the way

That specific A95L sony is a QD-OLED. It's not an LG panel, it's a Samsung panel. The other sony models are LG panels. If you want QD-OLED it's probably the best pick. If you want QD-OLED and dolby vision, you have to get the sony. Samsung doesn't do DV because of their own competing tech HDR10+.

From what I have read, there is not going to be a new model for this TV this year. They released it so late last year, that it's barely been on the market.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That specific A95L sony is a QD-OLED. It's not an LG panel, it's a Samsung panel. The other sony models are LG panels. If you want QD-OLED it's probably the best pick. If you want QD-OLED and dolby vision, you have to get the sony. Samsung doesn't do DV because of their own competing tech HDR10+.

From what I have read, there is not going to be a new model for this TV this year. They released it so late last year, that it's barely been on the market.
ah yeah I forgot.
LG is making MLA and samsung is making qd oled for high end.
MLA is just brighter in bigger windows. QD oled is even brighter but don't have white pixel and is a step back technologically compared to lg innovations.

th4tguy

Still rocking my Bravia 55” LCD from 2009 as my main tv. It has dead pixel lines through the middle.

I am looking to get the A80 oled from Sony this year. Just waiting to see if the 2024 model is the way to go or if I should grab the 2023 mode on discount

Xellos

Currently, Sony x93L or x95L. Sony is supposed to have a new FALD LED this year that improves their local dimming tech, so when that arrives it will probably the the best non-OLED.

Currently, Sony x93L or x95L. Sony is supposed to have a new FALD LED this year that improves their local dimming tech, so when that arrives it will probably the the best non-OLED.
These TVs are probably the best non-OLEDa for gaming.
Samsung QN95C/D (or whatever they call the current year) is also an option. They are 4K panels of the Q900C 8K flagship.

unlurkified

Mini or micro LED tech does look pretty promising, but side-by-side comparisons still put OLED on top. Got Sony’s top of the line OLED a few months ago and it was absolutely jaw-dropping for the first few weeks.

Top Bottom