• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 410 70.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 108 18.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

Forth

Personally I just don't like HDR, the TV uses more energy with HDR activated, it reduces the panels lifetime and the brightness is just to much.
I own a LGCX become of the wonderful true black it produces but I just don't see the hype with HDR.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Personally I just don't like HDR, the TV uses more energy with HDR activated, it reduces the panels lifetime and the brightness is just to much.
I own a LGCX become of the wonderful true black it produces but I just don't see the hype with HDR.
For me personally when HDR is done right its one of the bigger game changers there is

Problem is, especially on PC, HDR is so hit or miss

CAPSOL

OLED brightness is getting better but can be an issue if you don't have a dedicated dark room for it. But then again, even bright TVs look like shit in light rooms with reflections all over your screen.

Bojji

Miniled is the future. Don't listen to these OLED cultists when your TV has burn in damage they won't send you money to buy a new one.

Mini led is just (another) update to old and tired LCD tech. If someone cares about IQ there is only option right now, OLED. In the future micro LED will be the best in everything but we are still few years away from it.

Hardensoul

13 years is a long time! tv tech has matured and evolved a lot in the last 10 years or so.

grab an OLED on sale if you can (or even a modern LED LCD... just be careful about which one you choose).
it'll be a substantial upgrade.
I’m fine streaming on the 1080p TV. I play PC games on my 1440p 27inch 144hz LED monitor G Sync.

I’m fine for now!!

Quasicat

Anyone that knows anything about TVs know OLEDs are on the dim side.

Look at even the run down for the C2 from Rtings

The best mid-range TV we've tested is the LG C2 OLED. It's a premium TV that delivers stunning picture quality, especially in dark rooms; thanks to its near-infinite contrast ratio, there's no blooming around bright objects. It looks fantastic in dark rooms, whether you're watching movies or gaming. It gets bright enough to fight glare even in moderately-lit rooms, and the reflection handling is incredible, but it doesn't use quantum dot technology, so colors aren't as bright as the Samsung S95B OLED or the Samsung QN90B QLED.

It's an excellent TV for watching various content because it doesn't have issues upscaling lower-resolution content, from DVDs to native 4k content. Its built-in webOS system is also easy to use if you stream your favorite shows and movies. It's best suited for a dim or dark room, so if you're looking for a mid-range TV with better brightness to overcome glare, the QN90B is a great alternative.

I have owned the C9 since they launched and tried a 42" C2 on my desk for awhile and currently have the LG 45" 240Hz OLED monitor on my desk so I know what OLEDS can and can not do

If an OLED works great for you in your setting thats great but they are in fact a dim TV
I was up in the air last week on which LG to pick up…an OLED or a QNED. I have a ton of natural lighting in my living room and love to watch TV with the windows open during the day. After going back and forth, I did go with the QNED. For me it was a good compromise as it has a much better picture over what I had before but is something I can practically use in my home.

mitchman

Gold Member
Anyone that knows anything about TVs know OLEDs are on the dim side.

Look at even the run down for the C2 from Rtings

The best mid-range TV we've tested is the LG C2 OLED. It's a premium TV that delivers stunning picture quality, especially in dark rooms; thanks to its near-infinite contrast ratio, there's no blooming around bright objects. It looks fantastic in dark rooms, whether you're watching movies or gaming. It gets bright enough to fight glare even in moderately-lit rooms, and the reflection handling is incredible, but it doesn't use quantum dot technology, so colors aren't as bright as the Samsung S95B OLED or the Samsung QN90B QLED.

It's an excellent TV for watching various content because it doesn't have issues upscaling lower-resolution content, from DVDs to native 4k content. Its built-in webOS system is also easy to use if you stream your favorite shows and movies. It's best suited for a dim or dark room, so if you're looking for a mid-range TV with better brightness to overcome glare, the QN90B is a great alternative.

I have owned the C9 since they launched and tried a 42" C2 on my desk for awhile and currently have the LG 45" 240Hz OLED monitor on my desk so I know what OLEDS can and can not do

If an OLED works great for you in your setting thats great but they are in fact a dim TV
LG OLED G3 is 1500+ nits with HDR and above 200 nits with SDR (above 200 nits is considered almost too bright with SDR).

Picked up a Philips OLED last year, was reduced at Currys as it was the previous years model (806) and the latest was about to drop (807). Would have had no issue getting an LCD instead so long as it was Philips (for Ambilight) as the Panasonic I had for several years before was great with some bias lighting to help black levels with HDR. Luckily the 806 dropped into my price range so I jumped on it, decent jump in features going from HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 too, but I was sold on the TV when getting home and firing up Dune in Dolby Vision for movie night. I'll probably stick with OLED until micro-LED so we can get a decent bump in dimming zones to at least get close enough to the way OLED works.

Pretty much, just choose what's best for you. I don't get all the bickering on GAF over TV's myself
Sure but the type of TV is a pretty big deal if you're trying to get the most out of games or movies. Not everyone cares that much and others simply don't know the differences. It just depends on how in depth you want to go.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
New video from these guys, basically what everyone knows don't watch anything with a static element for hours/days/weeks on end and you're fine

Forth

I own a LGCX for the past year but I'm to anxious to play anything in HDR on my PS5, I constantly worry I'm reducing the panels lifespan and also my PS5.
I know, I'll admit that I have a problem!

Bojji

I own a LGCX for the past year but I'm to anxious to play anything in HDR on my PS5, I constantly worry I'm reducing the panels lifespan and also my PS5.
I know, I'll admit that I have a problem!

Dude, there is no way you can damage your tv, only with some static screens and both LG and PS5 have protection against that.

HUD elements are other thing that can potentially do some damage but you would have to play only one game for many hours every day.

DryvBy

I have an OLED and LED 4K. OLED is nice but it's extremely overpriced imo. Some people swear it's the best thing since the TV was invented and if you go from a nice 4K to a nice OLED 4K, you're not going to be instantly blown away.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s all cool and dandy until you’re in a dark room and suddenly LED TVs have terrible blacks.

Good luck with subtitles. Yeah you gotta make them grey and get used to the halo effect.

If you are afraid of burn in, and are generally an anxious person avoid them, because it’s not worth losing sleep over that.

Macaron

Banned
I've gone from high-end LCD to OLED and back to LCD(8K QLED), the difference wasn't that earth shattering unless in a dark room watching star fields.
Again, screen size matters. I went from 65 inch LCD to 78 inch OLED and the difference is very, very significant. My TV is now a better experience than going to the movies.

Ulysses 31

Again, screen size matters. I went from 65 inch LCD to 78 inch OLED and the difference is very, very significant. My TV is now a better experience than going to the movies.
I does but in my case I went from a 85" QLED to a 77"OLED(LG CX) to a 75" newer QLED, I stand by what I said.

DryvBy

Yes you are. Screen size matters.
I have a 65" OLED Bravia. It definitely looks good but it's not near the eye popper OLED fanatics claims. Its a cleaner overall image but my bedroom 55" Bravia I changed from I use daily too and it's perfectly fine.

Macaron

Banned
I does but in my case I went from a 85" QLED to a 77"OLED(LG CX) to a 75" newer QLED, I stand by what I said.
I have a 65" OLED Bravia. It definitely looks good but it's not near the eye popper OLED fanatics claims. Its a cleaner overall image but my bedroom 55" Bravia I changed from I use daily too and it's perfectly fine.
Shit I don't understand this at all :pie_roffles: to each their own but its a night and day difference for me with 4k content and videogames

if you go from a nice 4K to a nice OLED 4K, you're not going to be instantly blown away.
i did that, and the depth of OLED color instantly blew me away, even after having a kuro plasma.

but ive been waiting decades for "perfect" blacks, and poor black levels have always really annoyed me.
black levels affect all color gradients.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Idk. That’s a good question. I personally play on an older Samsung LED and have no qualms at all about it. It has game mode and HDR and has done me well since pre-Covid. My brother has a newer high end OLED and I legitimately can not see the difference in the two. I would say, go with OLED high end (or even Q) if you are deep into recognizing visuals…if not, don’t waste your money.

As a disclaimer, I care more about smooth and colorful gameplay more than anything.

Last edited:
I have a high end Mini Led Samsung tv. My friend said it was like looking through a window.

It was expensive so im not upgrading anytime soon.

When i do upgrade it will be micro led.

reinking

Gold Member
OLED owners. I need some input. I went with a cheaper (TCL 6 Series) as a stop gap for a few years as mini-LED tech settles. I am surprisingly happy with the TV except it has some issues where it loses sound and randomly powers off. Having to return it I am not sure I want another TCL TV.

I did consider a C2 before getting this TV. There are a few things about OLED that I think would drive me nuts if I notice it.

1. Auto-dimming. I know there was an issue with auto-dimming that was updated but I am still concerned about it auto-dimming in the middle of a movie/show/game. Does this happen in normal use?

2. Pixel/image shift. How noticeable is this? I don't expect the image to jump by a half inch but it would still annoy me to notice the image shift.

I do not plan to abuse the tv but I am also not going to baby sit it. It will be used about six hours a day on weekdays and more on weekends. I doubt I would want to dabble in removing these features but I need to know how noticeable they are before making a decision.

Edit - Thank you for the answers but it looks like I am stuck with the TCL. I thought BB had a 30-day return policy. It turns out I am on day 17 of a 15-day return period. I would have picked up a TV from Costco or through Amazon if I had realized BB did not offer at least 30 days. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED owners. I need some input. I went with a cheaper (TCL 6 Series) as a stop gap for a few years as mini-LED tech settles. I am surprisingly happy with the TV except it has some issues where it loses sound and randomly powers off. Having to return it I am not sure I want another TCL TV.

I did consider a C2 before getting this TV. There are a few things about OLED that I think would drive me nuts if I notice it.

1. Auto-dimming. I know there was an issue with auto-dimming that was updated but I am still concerned about it auto-dimming in the middle of a movie/show/game. Does this happen in normal use?

2. Pixel/image shift. How noticeable is this? I don't expect the image to jump by a half inch but it would still annoy me to notice the image shift.

I do not plan to abuse the tv but I am also not going to baby sit it. It will be used about six hours a day on weekdays and more on weekends. I doubt I would want to dabble in removing these features but I need to know how noticeable they are before making a decision.
Auto Dimming was only fixed on C3 that is releasing now.
1.You can disabe it with a service remote. it's nmed TPC and GSR... but I only have c1 experience so maybe I am wrong.
2.Not at all. It's not visible to me

over 5k hours on my c1. looks brand new

To be honest you don't need to babysit an OLED much given all the protective stuff they have these days, your usage sounds exactly like mine and I've had Philips 806 a year with no issue - even use it mainly with the PC.

1. Only time I notice the auto-dimming is around static elements like a game HUD, but this is supposed to happen and can be disabled on my Philips in the regular menu anyway. Haven't noticed any other dimming, I hear much talk about ABL but I haven't faffed with that, but general use for me is playing games, streaming anime & watching UHD Blurays and it seems fine

2. Pixel shift is not noticeable at all. If it wasn't for running MSI afterburner occasionally I wouldn't even know the TV was doing it.

Last edited:

MikeM

I have a C1. Never noticed anything except for the odd time auto-dim does its thing in dark games. Usually a pause menu corrects it.

Soodanim

Mini led is just (another) update to old and tired LCD tech. If someone cares about IQ there is only option right now, OLED. In the future micro LED will be the best in everything but we are still few years away from it.
I'm under the impression that it's not quite as simple as this because of motion, where OLED isn't quite as good as LCD. If image quality includes motion clarity, that for me is the key factor

Ulysses 31

I'm under the impression that it's not quite as simple as this because of motion, where OLED isn't quite as good as LCD. If image quality includes motion clarity, that for me is the key factor
It's also a bit of simplistic view that LCD is sub par now that there's OLED, a high-end LCD will look pretty similar to an OLED in a lot of cases and in cases where it doesn't, it's still not in bad territory.

He also overlooks the color volume advantage LCDs have over OLEDs.

Bojji

It's actually because OLED is better with motion, near instant pixel response time can make 30fps content without motion blur look juddery. LCD smears image much more so it has natural motion blur to compensate low refresh content. Most games have some kind of motion blur toggle, plus 40fps modes and VRR (with low frame rate compensation) makes this non issue most of the time. With PC even drops to 30fps in games can look quite ok thanks to frame doubling (or tripling) with gsync\feesync engaged.

High end LCDs can look quite good but price difference between them and OLEDs shrinks too much. I wanted to buy Hisense mini led before my B2 but price difference was to small for me to stick with LCD tech.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Been replaying Uncharted 4 remaster and it's still INCREDIBLE playing and looking game.
Since I disabled GSR, TPC and started using DTM, some games just got a new life like this one.
It has no right to look this breathtaking. I am playing this game for like 6th time lol and I always take such along time.
I spend especially long swimming around the pirate island with the boat. The weather change with overcast, wind and distant lighting booms is just something else. Must be my fav non story moment in the game.

Just to highlight how awesome Oled handles highlights when playing at night. 1st photo of whole tv and of course iphone dynmic range cannot handle it. it somewhat gets the picture right on the iphone but then it converts when copying.
2nd pic close to the tv, so I can focus just on the opening. It's so brigh

4tnamEL.jpg

QOeM7iw.jpg

Rob_27

My LG C2 42 turned up today. But its faulty. Managed to gain Internet access and then it started flashing like a hardcore club. Proper strobes. So got another coming Saturday in exchange. It better be OK or I'm going to be pissed. Haven't had a new oled since my 65 C6.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nothing compares to my Sony OLED. I was disappointed with the motion processing (as well as just general computing power for menus/apps) of competitors but Sony has got the real shit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you who use an OLED, do you it out of the box as-is or did you buy a service remote to stop the auto-dimming?

Chronos24

The fear of burn in is just too great for me to ever own an OLED. I've personally seen so many TV's (yes even recent ones) with that problem and as a gamer I definitely couldn't. While I agree that PQ is best with an OLED, it's not THAT much better than LED-LCD. Speaking of that, the brightness is also a big thing for me. I love a very bright TV that's also color accurate and my recent purchase of a Samsung Qn90c has been excellent in that regard. OLED TV's have gotten brighter, much so in fact but still the overarching problem of burn in is just too great.

Bry0

I’ve been using a 48 inch CX almost every day with my pc. I hide the taskbar and use a black background. I have no detectable burn in and the tv is around 4000 hours of screen time, and I turn it off if I step away from my pc for more than 5 minutes or so.

It’s amazing looking in games, but I will admit it would be nice to not have to think about these things and just leave it on like I do with my lcd monitors, but once you taste those perfect black levels it’s REALLY hard to go back to a normal backlit lcd. Going from playing LAD gaiden on my oled to steam deck at night was brutal. The game has tons of high contrast noir lighting that looks incredible on oled and awful on the deck screen.

I had to install the steamos 3.5 preview just for the better screen calibration options to make it look better.

MicroLED will be the future where each pixel is a micro LED that can independently turn off. Could be vaporware too though.

Top Bottom