• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remake and Factions are nearly finished, could release in the second half of this year

This is what I said.

But I think that in addition to sell it separatedly (who knows, maybe it's even F2P) I think they can also bundle it in a Director's Cut with TLOU2.

Or to blundle TLOU1R & TLOU2 PS5 in the Director's Cut. Or to bundle TLOU1R+TLOU2+TLOU2 MP game in the Director's Cut.

As we seen in many other games re-released in PS5 with some improvements and extra DLC or some other game bundled, I think they'll do the same with TLOU2. They'll sell it again for PS5 (likely with a PC port following some months later) and that the 'extra content' bundled this time would be the TLOU1R or the TLOU2 MP game, or both.

This is compatible with selling the TLOU1 remake and TLOU2 MP separatedly outside the bundle.

I think TLOU1 may even be the “extra” they throw into the multiplayer at this point.

It will be intersting to see how they do it all, between the remake, the multiplayer, and im sure the director cut of the 2nd game it’s gonna be a lot of releases

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hold on what about last of us 3?
neil was still writing the story according to rumors last year. He might have it ready by now but ND is busy with a new IP, remake and factions. All rumors, but dont expect TLOU3 until the end of the gen. 2027 or 2029 since this gen isnt going to end any time soon.

yurinka

neil was still writing the story according to rumors last year.
It wasn't a rumor, he said publicly that he wrote a draft of the main story of TLOU3 just in case they decide to develop it somewhere in the future. He and the other ND copresident said they were interested to continue working with TLOU, Uncharted and to make a new IP.

Like all the other Sony gamedev studios ND has been growing a lot and has a lot of open job positions more. They already have been working on multiple games at the same time, and in a few months the TLOU MP game, TLOU1 remake and the PC port of the U4 collection will be released.

Once released, very likely they have been drafting ideas and making preproduction stuff of their next new IP and TLOU3, so I assume these teams will move there in addition to overview an outsourced Nathan Drake Collection remaster for PS5 and PC.

Regarding their next Uncharted, they are hiring now for one, and according to Bloomberg some years ago they already were working on an Uncharted spinoff with Bend, so unless they cancelled it when Bend left the project the project can be the same one and to be in development since some years ago.

There are 655 ND workers listed on LinkedIn, enough to work in 3 AAA titles at the same time, plus a small team for other things:
-TLOU3
-New IP
-Uncharted 5 (or Uncharted spinoff)
-Small support team to overview and support outsourced PC ports, remasters, remakes, movies, tv shows and other merchandising

kyliethicc

Once released, very likely they have been drafting ideas and making preproduction stuff of their next new IP and TLOU3, so I assume these teams will move there in addition to overview an outsourced Nathan Drake Collection remaster for PS5 and PC.

Regarding their next Uncharted, they are hiring now for one, and according to Bloomberg some years ago they already were working on an Uncharted spinoff with Bend, so unless they cancelled it when Bend left the project the project can be the same one and to be in development since some years ago.

There are 655 ND workers listed on LinkedIn, enough to work in 3 AAA titles at the same time, plus a small team for other things:
-TLOU3
-New IP
-Uncharted 5 (or Uncharted spinoff)
-Small support team to overview and support outsourced PC ports, remasters, remakes, movies, tv shows and other merchandising
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

kyliethicc

What do you think they are going to do instead?

Crypto Metaknackverse 3 for VR maybe?
They’ll ship their TLOU games this/next year.

Announce a new IP or a new Uncharted. Ship it a few years later.

After that? Who knows. They don’t even know rn.

Last edited:

Novacain

It's nice to have something from naughty dog, but these two projects are probably the least interesting things they could come up with for my taste.

Hope to see a new franchise from them or something more original soon.

I'd much rather the last of us 3 than uncharted.

We have already have 4 and a half uncharteds. Give it a bit of time before going back to it.

yurinka

They’ll ship their TLOU games this/next year.

Announce a new IP or a new Uncharted. Ship it a few years later.

After that? Who knows. They don’t even know rn.
Studios and publishers work with 5 or even 10 year roadmaps. Make sure they know what projects they'll start developing in a year or two. Specially being their most prestigious studio, they mostly have blank check to do what they want.

I think this is doable:
2022: U4+LL (during Q1 PS5, during Q3 PC port)
2023: TLOU1R + TLOU2 + TLOU2 MP game (during Q1 PS5 -and the MP in PS4 too-, during Q3 PC port)
2024: (fully outourced) Nathan Drake Collection remastered (during Q1 PS5, during Q3 PC port)
2025: Uncharted 5 or spinoff (PS5) if it's the same project they were making with Bend in 2018/2019 or at least rehash stuff
2026: New IP (PS5) if a small team started preproduction after shipping TLOU2 in 2020
2027: (fully outsourced) Uncharted 1 remake (PS5 & PS6 launch game)
2028: TLOU 3 (PS5 & PS6) if the start to move people here after being done with TLOU1R + TLOU2 PS5 + TLOU2 MP

This would be done with 3 teams + a smaller one, which a similar size they already have:
-Big TLOU track (200+ people)
-Big Uncharted track (200+ people)
-Big New IP track (200+ people)
-Small team supporting and overviewing ports/remasters/remakes/movies/tv shows/etc (15+ people)
-General studio extra staff like HR, finantials, CM, studio managment, etc (15+ people)

I'd announce all the projects around half a year before release. With the exception of Uncharted 5, new IP and TLOU3 that would be announced with a teaser 18 months before release, and 12 months before release would show the first gameplay bit (not much) and then 6 months before release they would go hard.

Last edited:

Moses85

Studios and publishers work with 5 or even 10 year roadmaps. Make sure they know what projects they'll start developing in a year or two. Specially being their most prestigious studio, they mostly have blank check to do what they want.

I think this is doable:
2023: TLOU1R + TLOU2 + TLOU2 MP game (during Q1 PS5 -and the MP in PS4 too-, during Q3 PC port)
2024: (fully outourced) Nathan Drake Collection remastered (during Q1 PS5, during Q3 PC port)
2025: Uncharted 5 or spinoff (PS5) if it's the same project they were making with Bend in 2018/2019 or at least rehash stuff
2026: New IP (PS5) if a small team started preproduction after shipping TLOU2 in 2020
2028: TLOU 3 (PS5 & PS6) if the start to move people here after being done with TLOU1R + TLOU2 PS5 + TLOU2 MP

This would be done with 3 teams + a smaller one, which a similar size they already have:
-Small team supporting and overviewing ports/remasters/remakes/movies/tv shows/etc (15+ people)
-General studio extra staff like HR, finantials, CM, studio managment, etc (15+ people)
Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Hopefully you are wrong

kyliethicc

I think this is doable:

lol

yurinka

Hopefully you are wrong
Please elaborate.

Do you think it isn't realistic?
Do you think that 6 years of development with a lead studio team of 200+ people isn't enough?
Do you think they won't port Nathan Drake collection or that will remake the 1st Uncharted?
Do you think the ND presidents were lying when said they want to make more TLOU, Uncharted and new IP?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Please elaborate.
Ok
Do you think it isn't realistic?
Yes
Do you think that 6 years of development with a lead studio team of 200+ people isn't enough?
For?
Do you think they won't port Nathan Drake collection
Yes
or that will remake the 1st Uncharted?
No
Do you think the ND presidents were lying when said they want to make more TLOU, Uncharted and new IP?
No but they can’t do it all

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Unless they bundle them together, wouldn’t releasing TLoU remastered remake, TLoU 2 director’s cut and Factions as three separate products in rapid succession just saturate the market with TLoU content?

kyliethicc

Unless they bundle them together, wouldn’t releasing TLoU remastered remake, TLoU 2 director’s cut and Factions as three separate products in rapid succession just saturate the market with TLoU content?
Sorta would yeah. Will probably be 2 separate full releases max.

Like a TLOU1+2 collection and then the online is standalone.

Not sure if the online game will get a physical release or be digital only.

I wonder if ps5 version of tlou2 ever coming. I am waiting with my replay
Of course, eventually. Alongside the remake.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Depending on how they’re going to do this, this whole situation with the remake and the standalone multiplayer could confuse a lot of people, especially if TLoU 2 gets a PS5 remaster too. Imagine someone searching on Amazon for the "new TLoU game", and he‘s presented with the following options:

The Last of Us (PS3)
The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
The Last of Us: Remake (PS5)
The Last of Us: Deluxe Edition (PS5, also contains Factions)
The Last of Us 2 (PS4)
The Last of Us 2: Director‘s Cut (PS5, also contains Factions)
The Last of Us: Factions (PS5, maybe PS4 too?)
The Last of Us: Complete Edition (PS5, TLoU Remake+TLoU2 Director‘s Cut+Factions)

Granted, this would be kind of a worst case scenario, lol, but if both Factions and the TLoU Remake are really standalone, and TLoU 2 get‘s its own Director‘s Cut on PS5, then things start to get crowded with how they‘re going to bundle all this stuff.

I think they should just make Factions the multiplayer mode of the TLoU remake, for PS5 only. If they want, they can release Factions as a standalone thing later down the line, but for marketing purposes it would be best if they keep it linked with the TLoU remake at release. TLoU 2 doesn‘t need a ‚director’s cut‘ right now, that would just confuse people.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The Last of Us (PS3)
Irrelevant for PS4 PS5. Not sold anymore.

The original yeah. Not going anywhere.
Won’t call it that lol. And will obviously be different than the original.

Most games have a deluxe or whatever edition. Not an issue nowadays.

The Last of Us 2 (PS4)
A sequel. Different game. Nobody is confused by the concept of a sequel.

Will probably be discontinued/delisted like Ghost of Tsushima was. If there’s a Director’s Cut on PS4.
Could replace the current release. Or is just a basic remaster like Spider-man. Nobody’s confused by that.

Just like GTA Online, Red Dead Online, and so on. People get the idea of standalone multiplayer games.

The Last of Us: Complete Edition (PS5, TLoU Remake+TLoU2 Director‘s Cut+Factions)
Doubt this will ever happen.

Maybe a Part 1+2 collection, but then that’s even simpler since the Part 1 remake and Part 2 remaster become one.

Remeber, there’s like 30+ SKUs of Call of Duty out there. People have no issue.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Depending on how they’re going to do this, this whole situation with the remake and the standalone multiplayer could confuse a lot of people, especially if TLoU 2 gets a PS5 remaster too. Imagine someone searching on Amazon for the "new TLoU game", and he‘s presented with the following options:

The Last of Us (PS3)
The Last of Us 2 (PS4)

Granted, this would be kind of a worst case scenario, lol, but if both Factions and the TLoU Remake are really standalone, and TLoU 2 get‘s its own Director‘s Cut on PS5, then things start to get crowded with how they‘re going to bundle all this stuff.

I think they should just make Factions the multiplayer mode of the TLoU remake, for PS5 only. If they want, they can release Factions as a standalone thing later down the line, but for marketing purposes it would be best if they keep it linked with the TLoU remake at release. TLoU 2 doesn‘t need a ‚director’s cut‘ right now, that would just confuse people.

I think a Complete Edition or "Collection" would be the best option with TLoU Remake + TLoU 2 Director's Cut. Making TLoU Remake a standalone game, and locking Factions behind it, would be a big mistake imo. If they care about long term revenue as a live service game, then it needs to be accessible as a F2P game. It won't compete with the other big battle royale titles otherwise.

Another issue is player-base. If it's PS5 only, then Factions 2 is essentially DOA. They really need to release on PS4 (sadly) or maybe consider releasing it on PC.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think a Complete Edition or "Collection" would be the best option with TLoU Remake + TLoU 2 Director's Cut. Making TLoU Remake a standalone game, and locking Factions behind it, would be a big mistake imo. If they care about long term revenue as a live service game, then it needs to be accessible as a F2P game. It won't compete with the other big battle royale titles otherwise.

Another issue is player-base. If it's PS5 only, then Factions 2 is essentially DOA. They really need to release on PS4 (sadly) or maybe consider releasing it on PC.
If it were PS5 only it would not be DOA..... wtf kind of logic is this? PS5 does indeed have exclusive games that are not on PS4 and none of them were DOA look at the sales for the cross platform games as well ..... not sure but check I think for HFW 70% of all physical was PS5.

Rac3r

If it were PS5 only it would not be DOA..... wtf kind of logic is this? PS5 does indeed have exclusive games that are not on PS4 and none of them were DOA look at the sales for the cross platform games as well ..... not sure but check I think for HFW 70% of all physical was PS5.

I’m talking about Factions, the multiplayer component which is rumored to be a battle royale game and possibly free to play. Obviously the single player will sell great even if it's a PS5 exclusive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I think this is doable:

I'd announce all the projects around half a year before release. With the exception of Uncharted 5, new IP and TLOU3 that would be announced with a teaser 18 months before release, and 12 months before release would show the first gameplay bit (not much) and then 6 months before release they would go hard.
It takes a gargantuan effort to get a fully fledged naughty dog game out of the door. It's not a 200 job team, it's more like 2000 plus with main studio staff at like 600 and then outsourced staff plugging away as required. It then still takes like 5 years for a game on the level of
last of us 2.

I'd like something new from them from a different director, would be amazing to get something set in the future or scifi. But still have that grounded awesomely characterised naughty dog flavour.

Tbh I'd love to see some smaller projects from them, like something that's 8 hours long and maybe 40 to 50 bucks that then sees expansions or spin offs within a year or so that's another 8 hours long. Like a blockbuster TV series in seasons or something.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It takes a gargantuan effort to get a fully fledged naughty dog game out of the door. It's not a 200 job team, it's more like 2000 plus with main studio staff at like 600 and then outsourced staff plugging away as required. It then still takes like 5 years for a game on the level of
last of us 2.

I'd like something new from them from a different director, would be amazing to get something set in the future or scifi. But still have that grounded awesomely characterised naughty dog flavour.

Tbh I'd love to see some smaller projects from them, like something that's 8 hours long and maybe 40 to 50 bucks that then sees expansions or spin offs within a year or so that's another 8 hours long. Like a blockbuster TV series in seasons or something.
They’re like 350 devs, not 600. Per the studio head himself.

kyliethicc

Oh, OK. Apologies I thought they were bigger. 350 plus the extra 2000 outsourced devs then.
Lol no game has that many involved. The credits to Sony games are very very generous. Overly so.

There’s probably like 500 or so support / outsourcing people who actually worked on TLOU2 in some respect, last time I checked.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol no game has that many involved. The credits to Sony games are very very generous. Overly so.

There’s probably like 500 or so support / outsourcing people who actually worked on TLOU2 in some respect, last time I checked.

So this is incorrect?

kyliethicc

So this is incorrect?

Yes. That’s just the raw credits. And it includes many people from Sony who didn’t work on the game.

For example: Days Gone lists 1679 people. Happens with every big Sony game.

You can just look at the credits and count the totals yourself.

Don’t get fooled by clickbait.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes. That’s just the raw credits. And it includes many people from Sony who didn’t work on the game.

For example: Days Gone lists 1679 people. Happens with every big Sony game.

You can just look at the credits and count the totals yourself.

Don’t get fooled by clickbait.

K, thanks.but the 14 outsourced studios must be fact right?

kyliethicc

K, thanks.but the 14 outsourced studios must be fact right?
Yeah it’s 2 for audio work and like 10+ for art work. Some of which list like 5-10 people and may have done just weeks of work.

Obviously all the big Sony games, including Naughty Dog’s, are huge projects with lots of people involved.

But people can take some of the numbers a little too seriously at face value and overstate it a bit.

For example, there are 7317 names listed in the credits for Red Dead Redemption 2. LOL

4585 listed for Ass Creed Odyssey. Etc.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's not a 200 job team, it's more like 2000 plus with main studio staff at like 600 and then outsourced staff plugging away as required.
Most AAA games with 2000 or even 5000 people working on the whole project had only around 150-200+ devs in the lead studio.

No Sony game has been made with a staff of 600 people of the lead studio working in a single game. And same goes with most AAA games. They could have that amount of people in the studio, but working on multiple games.

I said 200+ because I think they'll continue growing (mostly in the artists division) and may reach this gen teams of almost 300 people.

It then still takes like 5 years for a game on the level of last of us 2.
I counted 6 years for TLOU 3, their new IP and the next Uncharted.

Me too.

I think they could do this as standalone DLC between big games specially if their main games end being too big.

They’re like 350 devs, not 600. Per the studio head himself.
They were around 350 people in the studio including non dev staff and having them split into multiple projects. They are now over 600 people and once they hire the almost 50 job offers open will be above 700. And will be working on more (big) projects at the same time than before.

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

Chances of new Factions being PS5 only? I Really hope with them saying the Scope of the game increased they ditched any PS4 version.
I know there is a lot of PS4 consoles out there and maybe from a business point of view PS4 players will be buying whatever skins/ add ons etc they going to be selling....
I just feel as a Id rather everyone be on something like 60 FPS 1440p with fast SSD load in times and Naughty Dog not having to water down anything on PS5 version to have a PS4 version.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Chances of new Factions being PS5 only? I Really hope with them saying the Scope of the game increased they ditched any PS4 version.
I know there is a lot of PS4 consoles out there and maybe from a business point of view PS4 players will be buying whatever skins/ add ons etc they going to be selling....
I just feel as a Id rather everyone be on something like 60 FPS 1440p with fast SSD load in times and Naughty Dog not having to water down anything on PS5 version to have a PS4 version.
High if they make it come to PC as well.

If not, its def crossgen

kyliethicc

Low

93xfan

Banned
Bet they’re waiting for a few new genders to be made up before they finalize any additional story elements.

Same thing here
- Jason already said the game was in development for a long time last year;
- Tom Henderson said this was going to be released this year in January
- 5 months later, Grubb says the same thing.

I don't know...one source is one thing...but we got 3 different ones.

kyliethicc

- Jason already said the game was in development for a long time last year;
We all know its real. The question is the release date.

- Tom Henderson said this was going to be released this year in January
Wasn’t talking about that.

- 5 months later, Grubb says the same thing.
Grubb is saying he’s heard its coming this fall, just like he said he heard Sony will buy Square.

And he didn’t run it as a story. He mentioned it on a podcast. Same as the Square rumor.

My comment was that Grubb is often wrong.

Xbox Live multiplayer will be free, 4K Switch Pro in 2021, Metroid Prime Trilogy remakes, Sony buying Square, etc.

We all know its real. The question is the release date.

Wasn’t talking about that.

Grubb is saying he’s heard its coming this fall, just like he said he heard Sony will buy Square.

And he didn’t run it as a story. He mentioned it on a podcast. Same as the Square rumor.

My comment was that Grubb is often wrong.

Xbox Live multiplayer will be free, 4K Switch Pro in 2021, Metroid Prime Trilogy remakes, Sony buying Square, etc.
I guess we'll see if he's right or wrong. Probably soon.

Top Bottom