• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remake and Factions are nearly finished, could release in the second half of this year

Hunnybun

Nah you are reading too much into it. That was just Neil trying to score some woke points.

I would think that if it were in isolation, but literally the entire game is written as a rebuke against revenge and unforgiveness, and Ellie herself suffers greatly directly because of her stubbornness. It's a bit hard to imagine Neil being so tone deaf that he wrote the game around that message, but also put in a specific scene that carried the literal opposite message, without even realising or caring that he'd done it. I don't think that's very plausible.

MiguelItUp

The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by a TLOU Remake. I don't really feel it's necessary, but the additions to it are what's interesting.

Still definitely interested in seeing more about Factions. I hope it's all solid!

kyliethicc

Terms like bigot, simp, magot, etc... All get attention between Trump vs Biden era, engagment by social media like Facebook/Twitter.
Um... bigot is not a new term lol.

vwlcvU2.jpg

tassletine

A remake of a remaster of a game that is less than ten years old. Creative bedrock?
I agree. It’s not like they haven’t been trampling their 3rd person, overly stretched out ‘story‘ template forever — but this is a new low.
Their games take far too long to make for such a conservative company. It’s almost like they delay their games to add weight to them.

Fake

Um... bigot is not a new term lol.

vwlcvU2.jpg

Never said ND/TLOUS2 invented the term bigot. If you want more information about those terms go to know your meme.

Most of the memes/terms have a long long time ago, but they got revived/remember by someone or something over Twitter, Facebook and Tik Tok.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Of course, this makes sense. I was wondering how they charge for the multiplayer in 2022 bit this makes perfect sense. Went completely over my head. Sell the remake with factions hopefully September / October time with god of war in November or December?

I still can't see how a multiplayer game can be popular enough to turn a profit in 2022 without being free to play and chock full of microtransactions / season passes. I guess naughty dog kind of go for both like a battlefield or cod.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Of course, this makes sense. I was wondering how they charge for the multiplayer in 2022 bit this makes perfect sense. Went completely over my head. Sell the remake with factions hopefully September / October time with god of war in November or December?

I still can't see how a multiplayer game can be popular enough to turn a profit in 2022 without being free to play and chock full of microtransactions / season passes. I guess naughty dog kind of go for both like a battlefield or cod.

Naught dog is the worst of micro transactions having actual pay to win mechanics. Surely fractions will be free?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Naught dog is the worst of micro transactions having actual pay to win mechanics. Surely fractions will be free?

Nope factions won't be free. Someone explained this perfectly to me the other day. Sony want to sell ps plus subs and free to play games don't require it. So they will sell factions and then have season passes and mtx on top as well as the requirement for a sub to ps plus. Money galore baby.

I'm really looking forward to it and I don't think they will get away with paid to win in 2022 as it would kill the game.

Mahavastu

Nope factions won't be free. Someone explained this perfectly to me the other day. Sony want to sell ps plus subs and free to play games don't require it. So they will sell factions and then have season passes and mtx on top as well as the requirement for a sub to ps plus. Money galore baby.
maybe like "Legends", the Multiplayer of Ghost of Tsushima.
It was part of the full game, but also on Sale for small money ($10?) on its own. It was also given for free for PS+ a few months ago.

So officially they sell it but still require PS+ to run.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
they milking their best devs ...i hate this continuous remake/remaster Sony thing ........ Wake up Cerny or have someone fix the console's operating system so they can exploit the potential of the new console even with older games...and if you really have to, at least get new releases of the same game developed

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'm really looking forward to it and I don't think they will get away with paid to win in 2022 as it would kill the game.
A better option would be charge $20 - $30 for MP on PS4/PS5 and PC. Make it a paid product so it requires PS+.

Then give it away for free on PS+ day one. Non-subscribers on PS can buy AND subscribe to PS+ to play the game. PC players can buy to play the game. PS+ subscribers can play the game day one without doing anything else.

This achieves every goal:
  • Retail sales on day one
  • Incentive for people to subscribe to PS+
  • Incentive to stay subscribed to PS+
  • Lots of players on day one because of PS+
  • PS+ day-one game word-of-mouth

Bartski

Gold Member

One thing we know for certain now - the multiplayer project is a standalone game. If the remake is on schedule to launch with the HBO series and/or 10 year anniversary of TLOU PS3 (june 2023), that doesn't add up.
Unless the standalone multiplayer game is not Factions 2, that doesn't add up either.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Game really didn't need a Remake.
tbf i went from playing TLOU2 and decided to do a replay of the first one and it was a massive massive difference in quality, now TLOU1 is an absolute classic and imo the sequel is just as good so i'm all for replaying the stellar first one with the incredible graphics of no.2, no brainer for me.. fuck id love them to remake all 3 of the Uncharted's with the same engine and look as UC4

kyliethicc

maybe like "Legends", the Multiplayer of Ghost of Tsushima.
It was part of the full game, but also on Sale for small money ($10?) on its own. It was also given for free for PS+ a few months ago.

So officially they sell it but still require PS+ to run.
One thing we know for certain now - the multiplayer project is a standalone game. If the remake is on schedule to launch with the HBO series and/or 10 year anniversary of TLOU PS3 (june 2023), that doesn't add up.
Unless the standalone multiplayer game is not Factions 2, that doesn't add up either.

Could see it being offered standalone for $20 (like Ghost Legends) and later given away as a PS Plus monthly game.

Then bundle it in with the TLOU remake / TLOU2 remaster for $50-$70.

It can be both standalone and packaged with singleplayer.

Last edited:
They better not want to force people into buying this unnecessary remake to have access to the multiplayer.

This remake makes no sense to me and I just can't see how it won't cause a lot of controversy, I doubt anyone ever asked for it before it was rumored.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They better not want to force people into buying this unnecessary remake to have access to the multiplayer.
They won’t.

This remake makes no sense to me
Better version. Looks and plays better. (Like Demon’s Souls.)

and I just can't see how it won't cause a lot of controversy, I doubt anyone ever asked for it before it was rumored.
Nobody asked for most games made. And nobody is making you play them.

You’re safe.

Bartski

Gold Member
Could see it being offered standalone for $20 (like Ghost Legends) and later given away as a PS Plus monthly game.

Then bundle it in with the TLOU remake / TLOU2 remaster for $50-$70.

It can be both standalone and packaged with singleplayer.
Yeah but the tweet sounds like we should expect multiplayer mode in the remake as it was in the original game.
That would mean what they are making is an expanded Factions for TLOU Remake made in a brand new current-gen only tech, that will be sold as a standalone.
Or, what makes way more sense to me (and everyone else I guess), we're talking about a TLOU2 tech-based cross-gen MP, sold standalone on PS4 and bundled with TLOU2 PS5 Remaster and/or the TLOU Remake later on, but not part of the Remake game, as made in older inferior tech.

Hugare

Naw, it came out two years after Dead Space and thats getting a Remake also.

These games came out on 2006 hardware.
Wut?

Dead Space was released in 2008. The Last of Us in 2013. 5 years difference

Check Google first, dude

Anyway, I really hope that Factions will be F2P

Apex, Fortnite, Warzone and many many others prove that you can make a F2P game without pay to win stuff and still be successful

Being locked to a $60 release or even $10 will cut the amount of players substantially. Would be dumb.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah but the tweet sounds like we should expect multiplayer mode in the remake as it was in the original game.
That would mean what they are making is an expanded Factions for TLOU Remake made in a brand new current-gen only tech, that will be sold as a standalone.
Or, what makes way more sense to me (and everyone else I guess), we're talking about a TLOU2 tech-based cross-gen MP, sold standalone on PS4 and bundled with TLOU2 PS5 Remaster and/or the TLOU Remake later on, but not part of the Remake game, as made in older inferior tech.
It’s definitely a standalone multiplayer game. Naughty Dog have said the multiplayer game is standalone but that just means it will at least be sold on its own, but not necessarily only on its own. I think people are just speculating that Sony will add the multiplayer game to the remake, probably for a $70 package. If that happens, my guess is something like this:

The Last of Us
$50 PS5 (PC later?)
$70 PS5 - includes The Last of Us Online

The Last of Us Part II
$60 PS4 - includes The Last of Us Online
$70 PS5 - includes The Last of Us Online

The Last of Us Online
$20 PS4 PS5 (PC?)

Then rumors of a TLOU2 Director’s Cut. Well, the multiplayer added to TLOU2 could be the “new content” Sony has said all their Director’s Cut releases will have. Since Druckmann said they aren’t doing story DLC for it. (Unless he lied, which I doubt.) Could end being kinda like Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut. $60/70, PS4 PS5, with the multiplayer being a $20 standalone option as well. Bunch of upgrade paths, etc.

And I could sell them selling the remake for $50 on its own on PS5 (and probably PC.) But then also offering a $70 version with the multiplayer included. Kinda like the $70 version of Miles Morales. As to not force people to buy the multiplayer twice, depending on what games they’ve bought.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's no way it's not offered as a standalone multiplayer game.

The venn diagram of TLoU single player fans and potential Factions 2 fans doesn't have a substantial middle. Plus, there's really no precedent to force a single player purchase on players interested in multiplayer.

saintjules

Then rumors of a TLOU2 Director’s Cut. Well, the multiplayer added to TLOU2 could be the “new content” Sony has said all their Director’s Cut releases will have. Since Druckmann said they aren’t doing story DLC for it. (Unless he lied, which I doubt.)

Maybe this isn't in the same context, but Neil has known to lie a few times in order to hide things:

Druckmann: From a marketing standpoint, something we were very conscious of initially—We said, “Here are things we will lie about in interviews.” If somebody asks, “Do you play as Ellie?” we would say no. Even though we knew from the beginning that we were working toward this climactic moment where the roles of the characters shift.

Straley: I’m surprised no one called us out on that in hindsight. “You fuckers lied!” [Laughs]

Druckmann: We did dozens of interviews where we outright lied about it. “No. Joel is the only person you play.” We also decided we would never talk about the prologue where you play as Sarah.

kyliethicc

The venn diagram of TLoU single player fans and potential Factions 2 fans doesn't have a substantial middle. Plus, there's really no precedent to force a single player purchase on players interested in multiplayer.
Wasn’t GTA Online only available via GTA5 for many years?

I for one would love the first one that looks and plays like the second. With a few more additional tweaks I'm sure in Joel rage-mode.
Same. I bet it will sell millions.

Maybe this isn't in the same context, but Neil has known to lie a few times in order to hide things:

Yeah it’s always possible, but this felt like he was just being honest. Given the context of the interview.

Like next in that interview, he got asked about the multiplayer, and he just didn’t say anything and smirked.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

This is Sony we are talking about.

I was hoping for some SP DLC for Last of Us 2. Love Last of Us but I have no interest in beating part 1 for like the 6th time or any multiplayer. I'll keep hoping and waiting, but this is dope for those who are interested

Top Bottom