• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Advisor on climate: "Science has gotten a lot wrong in our 5,500 year history"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
5,500 years ago an ape stood up and was like "fuck this shit!" And then all the other ones were like "yeah this sucks" and thats how the humans started

Dice//

Banned
Picture of the advisor

vSd7Sjs.jpg

It's just amazing how he uses the knowledge we gained from science to tell us how science got things wrong, so that's why we shouldn't trust science.

0uvNAqR.gif

"science isn't always right"

but sir it's scientific fact

"facts aren't always right"

but sir a fact by definition is--

"LALALALALALABLUHBLUHBLUHBLUHBLUH"

darklin0

Banned
My favorite part about this is that by being wrong, science is bad. Being wrong is literally half the work in science.

Being incorrect is the answer to a different question we have not asked yet.

OraleeWey

NASA needs to launch some of these people into space so they can stare down Earth and feel the overview effect. These people desperately need it so that we can press the future of humanity the right direction.

cress2000

True science never intends to be "wrong". It is based on objective logic, which is incapable of being misleading by intention.

Projections, however can be wrong. Scientists with incomplete information try their damndest to try and put the known pieces together in a logical way. Uninformed idiots will cry bogeyman and make up their own illogical bullshit when the scientific projections are off the mark.

A fucking businessman and his advisor, if they have no real scientific background, yet clearly have no ability to think objectively, have no fucking business saying this shit about something which they know absoliutely nothing about. Manipulative cunts.

iFirez

Every time I read 'Trump Advisor' all I can imagine is a website like Trip Advisor and you give advisors a rating out of 5 wigs.

Two Words

Oh shit, at first I thought he said 5,500 years because he thought that's how long humans have conducted some form of scientific research. Then I realized why he really used that number.....

earth_temperature_timeline_2x.png

This image/meme is being shared on my facebook a lot lately and I do have some questions about it. How is it that in B.C. times, Earth's temperature varied a lot without all of these harmful pollution interferences of today? What exactly made Earth in 8000 B.C. as warm as the Earth today without all of these harmful emissions back then?

Also, what makes temperature readings from sooo far ago scientifically factual? I'm all for a cleaner environment, but it seems like if the effect and cause matched, we would have seen a big spike in the Industrial Age and with coal-powered steam engines on trains.

Nature itself already produced the worst case in ancient times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmeTCw5Xk1I without our help, doesn't mean it's a good idea to reproduce it in some way or another.

RocknRola

Whelp. You dun goofed bros. You're stuck with a bunch of idiots for 4 years. Not that it hasn't happened before elsewhere in the world, the difference is that your idiots have the power to actually have a long lasting impact on a WW scale.

Dumber people are winning the gene pool race, fuck by fuck. I see it everywhere. It won't matter much in the end (we're fucked anyway and we're insignificant as a species) but untill then the rational, responsible people will have a really sad life here.

Moosichu

It's both a law and a theory.

A Law is just a historical term, which is basically a synonym for a theory. The reason the word theory is used now, is because we know that many of them will turn out to be slightly inaccurate. The reason Newton's Laws are still called laws is, as said, for historical reasons. Technically they should be called Newton's Theories, as it turned out, they were inaccurate.

Now we have the Theory of General Relativity which is a lot more accurate than Newton's "Laws", however, they may be shown to be innacurate in the same way Newton's Theories were.

It's also worth pointing out though, that this doesn't make the theories worthless. Newton's Laws are still used on a regular basis, as they are far simpler than GR and provide a good approximation for them on the scales we encounter on a regular basis. It's not like that as soon as Einstein wrote down his theory, that all the bridges and buildings built under Newton's principles spontaneously collapsed. The reason they lasted so long without question, is that they were proven to work again, and again, under many different circumstances.

Drencrom

How come it's only American Christians who believe in creationism and that earth is ~6000 years old? I never hear about that nonsense anywhere else besides from them.

Circinus

It's honestly surprising how much misconceptions and misinformation he manages to fit in a sentence.
flat earth was basically never a scientific conensus.

and yes, science has been wrong, but it needs to be disproven by better science. Nothing climate change deniers have is better scoence

I would say that science in itself has technically never been wrong, because science doesn't offer some kind of absolute truth. Certain older scientific theories were disproven and/or continually adjusted over time, yes, but the science itself is not wrong or right. Science is a methodology to acquire information and ultimately knowledge. It doesn't work in absolutes and is thus never really 100% right or unchallengable, but that's what makes it very reliable.

Here is what puzzles me. I know there are a lot of people even here on neogaf that are quietly supporting of trump. Sometimes they show this side in other topics where they feel they can argue the other side, without getting banned or shouted at.

But they don't show up in this kind of topic.

How can a trump supporter here handle the cognitive dissonance of only selectively standing up for him? If there is one thing he shows with his appointments is his contempt for climate science or at least his near zero care for it. It's a core value. One of the few he actually has, other than claiming to be good at deals.

How do you quietly support the guy but you won't try to argue that the atmosphere can in fact deal with digging up and burning the rest of the fossil fuels?

Is it because you don't care? You really only care about your paper wealth for next 4 years?

Is it because science wasn't a subject you really were interested in at school and you suspect most scientists are politically motivated so untrustworthy?

Do You think trump will change his mind and sack his appointees and hire better ones?

Can't think of a fourth reason.

I am struggling to understand the quiet supporter of trump who isn't a rally going, guns and bible type. Those guys I get. I don't get the smarter other half, some of them are here.

Foffy

Banned
Here is what puzzles me. I know there are a lot of people even here on neogaf that are quietly supporting of trump. Sometimes they show this side in other topics where they feel they can argue the other side, without getting banned or shouted at.

How can a trump supporter here handle the cognitive dissonance of only selectively standing up for him? If there is one thing he shows with his appointments is his contempt for climate science or at least his near zero care for it. It's a core value. One of the few he actually has, other than claiming to be good at deals.

How do you quietly support the guy but you won't try to argue that the atmosphere can in fact deal with digging up and burning the rest of the fossil fuels?

Is it because you don't care? You really only care about your paper wealth for next 4 years?

Is it because science wasn't a subject you really were interested in at school and you suspect most scientists are politically motivated so untrustworthy?

Do You think trump will change his mind and sack his appointees and hire better ones?

I am struggling to understand the quiet supporter of trump who isn't a rally going, guns and bible type. Those guys I get. I don't get the smarter other half, some of them are here.

They likely lean heavily on Trump for the things that they personally resonate with and let that be a flame to support him, even if that flame is coal and is toxic for the entire cultural climate. ;)

Too Many Americans Treat Politics Like Just Another Sport, And It’s Causing Problems

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Some Trump supporters have shown up in these kinds of topics. IIRC, they usually say that Trump and his people don't really mean the crazy shit they say, they just say whatever pops into their head to get attention and appeal to their base. But they'll act "normal" when in power.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the same Trump supporters think that Trump and co. are only being truthful when they talk about the things the Trump supporter in question cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom