• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Advisor on climate: "Science has gotten a lot wrong in our 5,500 year history"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never, in my wildest years, imagined that there would be an administration dumber than George W's. Jim Christ below, I think it's time the world pivots to China as the major world Constable, gross humanitarian crimes or not.

jelly

Wow, that's some crazy talk. It's scary you could think that way or is he just making up a BS answer to suit his agenda of making money?

Spenny

The myth of a flat earth is exactly that: a myth. America still teaches that people of only 500 years ago thought the earth was flat. So fucking stupid when I try to explain to my younger sibling that that is wrong and we've known the earth was a sphere 2000 years before Columbus ever set sail.

The second argument was only accepted because of dogma.
The church would literally arrest, torture, and kill you if you believed otherwise.

Xe4

Banned
I'm saying natural scientists aren't as smart as you think are. What you wrote about the invisible hand is bizarre. Knowledge is self-regulating? Knowledge cannot make decisions which it needs to be able to do to self-regulate. Of course, researchers self-regulate. They also create journals which impose rules, have qualifying exams for research programs, etc. as measures to try to ensure quality.

Also, the process of buying and selling in a market is not invisible. The reasons why they do so are not hidden either. The invisible hand is used as analogy to refer to how privately made decisions could lead to a Pareto efficient result.

Perhaps you are not as smart as you think you are.

Maybe you should consider that before dumping on the near consensus of atmospheric scientists that anthropocentric climate change is happening. I do research in this field, and I know others who have done this for far longer than me. They have spend their entire adult lives studying climatology and atmospheric dynamics, so unless you happen to be an atmospheric scientist as well, I would highly suggest you take the opinion of the overwhelming consensus of experts.

You know that analogy for climate change about a frog in a pot of water slowly being brought up to a boil? Part of the frog's brain was cut out during that presentation.

Climate change deniers are that brainless frog.

Hypron

Perhaps you are not as smart as you think you are.

Maybe you should consider that before dumping on the near consensus of atmospheric scientists that anthropocentric climate change is happening. I do research in this field, and I know others. They have spend their entire adult lives studying climatology and atmospheric dynamics, so unless you happen to be an atmospheric scientist as well, I would highly suggest you take the opinion of the overwhelming consensus of experts.

Nah I skim-read 2 papers and some stuff on a totally-not-biased-blog and that makes me qualified to say that you and everyone in your field are full of shit.

Violet_0

Banned
doesn't like roughly half of America believe in Young Earth creationism? I remember seeing that number in a survery a year or two ago, anyway

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I’m saying people have gotten things wrong throughout the 5,500-year history of our planet

BVbv7ZY.gif

Not

Banned
I mean, don't have kids if you don't want. No pressure. Be human.

But if you're cool with having kids, now would be a great time.

This image/meme is being shared on my facebook a lot lately and I do have some questions about it. How is it that in B.C. times, Earth's temperature varied a lot without all of these harmful pollution interferences of today? What exactly made Earth in 8000 B.C. as warm as the Earth today without all of these harmful emissions back then?

Also, what makes temperature readings from sooo far ago scientifically factual? I'm all for a cleaner environment, but it seems like if the effect and cause matched, we would have seen a big spike in the Industrial Age and with coal-powered steam engines on trains.

1. http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/schmidt_01/

2. The "industrial age" was 250 million tons of coal annually by the 1900s globally. China ALONE digs out 3000 million tons annually now. Then you add in Oil, Gas, Methane from farm animals, clearing of forests and you can see that what we did to the atmosphere in the dawn of the industrial age was just a drop compared to what we're doing now.

And lastly - it isn't so much that the warming is unprecedented in absolute value terms, what is crazy is the speed with which it is happening. The speed is beyond what a lot of nature can adjust to so adds another pressure among many already driving things to extinction and then on top of that even if you ignore nature, heat waves and ocean level changes drive crop failures, unrest, migration and inundation during storms that mean the potential $BILL to humanity (if that is what you care about) is crazily higher than the $cost of doing something about it now.

Xe4

Banned
doesn't like roughly half of America believe in Young Earth creationism? I remember seeing that number in a survery a year or two ago, anyway
Most people around the world have pretty shit science knowledge. America fucks up particularly bad WRT religious based questions, but isn't so bad (relatively speaking) on everything else.

Nah I skim-read 2 papers and some stuff on a totally-not-biased-blog and that makes me qualified to say that you and everyone in your field are full of shit.
LOL
O
L

Misleading title ended abruptly and taken slightly out of context.

Later, Scaramucci added, “You’re saying that you do, and you’re saying the scientific community knows, and I’m saying people have gotten things wrong throughout the 5,500-year history of our planet—human history, I should say.”

Still frightening as hell that they basically offhandedly dismiss science as though we are still in a phase of science from the renaissance era.

leroidys

Misleading title ended abruptly and taken slightly out of context.

Still frightening as hell that they basically offhandedly dismiss science as though we are still in a phase of science from the renaissance era.
I couldn't fit the entire quote in the title, but it is an accurate summary.

How is it taken out of context?

I couldn't fit the entire quote in the title, but it is an accurate summary.

How is it taken out of context?

The title by itself implies he believes the planet is only 5500 years old. Nothing else is inaccurate and the guy is clearly a nut.

Edit: Actually my bad, I guess "our" history clears that up.

Vena

You know that analogy for climate change about a frog in a pot of water slowly being brought up to a boil? Part of the frog's brain was cut out during that presentation.

Climate change deniers are that brainless frog.

That really isn't fair to the frog, it was lobotomized against its will. These people are just fucking stupid.

leroidys

The title by itself implies he believes the planet is only 5500 years old. Nothing else is inaccurate and the guy is clearly a nut.

Edit: Actually my bad, I guess "our" history clears that up.
No worries. It took me a few passes to parse this idiot's nonsense as well.

5,500 years? Lol. I hope the aliens arrive to finally shut these religious fanatics up and make religion a relic of the old world, which it should be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nuclear scientists seem to think that the best way to split the atom is to get very radioactive material and destroy it with a finely tuned shaped explosive. However, my pastor thinks that it is more likely that a very sharp splinter of metal from the bomb is piercing the atom and knocking the nucleus away from the electrons. And honestly, we don't know for sure.

Not

Banned
Nuclear scientists seem to think that the best way to split the atom is to get very radioactive material and destroy it with a finely tuned shaped explosive. However, my pastor thinks that it is more likely that a very sharp splinter of metal from the bomb is piercing the atom and knocking the nucleus away from the electrons. And honestly, we don't know for sure.

Does this have something to do with "God holding together the atoms" or something

Why did I start following the news, again? I guess I was hoping things weren't as bad as I had feared since the election but they are as bad if not worse and he hasn't taken office yet.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Once they dismantle the education system, they just have to wait for our generation to die out because our children won't know enough to see through this bullshit

Yes, that's well and good. But we're talking about an outright climate denier, who things neither human history or the universe is any older than 5500 years old.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/12/16/trump-advisor-not-sold-on-science/

In a longer cut of the video, however, it does appear that Scaramucci said "or I should say human history" to himself as Cuomo was speaking. In a later tweet, Scaramucci said that he accepts 4.5 billion years for the age of the Earth. In a response for clarification on what Scaramucci meant by his 5,500 year comment, he provided us with the following response:

"Was referring to well-recorded human history. Cuomo understood what I was saying but the segment was ending."

Many anthropologists and historians would agree with Scaramucci on this final point. The written historical record is generally thought to begin at around that time with advent of Sumerian cuneiform tablets, which is roughly in line with his assertion that 5,500 years referred to written human history.

It should also be noted, however, that historians have, from time to time, been wrong as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

KInda assumed that from the getgo. One thing about trump, actually way less jesus than many republican administarations. However if republicans administrations used the new, rather than old testamnet rules for "jesus" I wouldn't even be worried.

And another good thing about Trump win: Evangelicals literally exposed as giant hypocrites and actually just suckers/racists.know nothings. If you're a gaf evangelical Trump voter, go ahead and say anything at all in your defense, because now you got nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom