• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda" "Must fight them"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The optics on this is just terrible-"we need these insurgent members of our party to fall in with the establishment corporatist base". Not really a winner for Trump given the coalition that provides most of his support.

Horns

Divisive even amoung his own people. He's going to tear his own party apart and sink them in future elections with his own unpopularity.

Apathy

Ryan 's CBS interview where he was threatening the Freedom Caucus that Trump might work with the Dems is the biggest idle threat since your dad telling you hes going to turn the car around and go home if you and your sibling don't stop fighting in the back seat on the way to Disneyland.

Like anyone with even half a brain realize that any changes to the bill that would make the Dems happy would make the Republicans that voted for the bill already unhappy and change their votes. Like, he really thinks this is a one sided business deal. Dude is a fool

What are the chances that he primaries the FC members up for re-election with pro-trump agenda candidates, and dems even lose to those?

Because we all know dems don't show up for midterms.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
kyzyrmF.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Like, the bill was really bad. Why is he blaming the FC? Tweeting this shit will just hurt him later on when he needs them for other things.

The FC represents a pretty significant chunk of the house of representatives(30+) that were against the bill and no matter how many backroom "negotiating/blackmailing" that occurred prior to the vote, they refused to kiss the ring.

Thus Trump is following the only strategy he knows. Throw a hissyfit until he gets what he wants, which is hopefully to install future yes-men by calling out all whom oppose his will.

shem935

Banned
"Democrats fall in love. Republicans fall in line". This was said many a time on GAF. Do you still believe this?

In the context of voting for president yes. The Freedom caucus has always been a bundle of intractable assholes in congress, only people who weren't paying attention would dispute that.

Vectorman

Banned
Shame that no one probably saw the morning MSNBC guy who was interviewing a Freedom Caucus member as pull out that Trump tweet. The member didn't even want to touch that. He instead talked about bipartisanship as if the Freedom Caucus and Dems suddenly see eye to eye and not talking about Trump ragging on him and his fellow congressmen.

They'l come around. Reducing taxes is something that the Freedom Caucus would vote for anyhow. Easy D might be looking for an easy win here.

Hell, they might even get a fair amount of Dems on their side if they play it straight. I know I want to see tax reform.

Not if they stick to their current plan of getting rid of tax deductions that help the middle class.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What chapter is this exactly in "The Art Of The Deal"?

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Trump made most of his deals by being aggressive and threatening people. Or abusing his power position. Business, women, presidency, this is his modus operandi.

This tweet is clearly a threat that he will try to sabotage them in 2018 if they don't fall in line. It will be interesting to see if they are that weak to fall for it.

rambis

Banned
From CNN

House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows responded to Trump's tweet slamming the group, saying "no comment."

“I don’t have anything to say at this point. No comment,” he said.

No comment. I try to always be accessible, but no comment.

Trump keep on winning

I hate them both. Is there a scenario where both entities lose?

yes. the freedom caucus is only about 30 people. when they break from the core of the republican party, it becomes very difficult for the republicans to pass anything. if they make the party look weak and cost enough reps in moderate districts their seats, the republicans will be a minority in congress and the freedom caucus will still just be 30 dudes in solidly-red districts.

What are the chances that he primaries the FC members up for re-election with pro-trump agenda candidates, and dems even lose to those?

Because we all know dems don't show up for midterms.

dems don't show up for midterms when a president they like is in the white house. they showed up and took both houses in 2006 because of the list of objections to Bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom