• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda" "Must fight them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

So now he just has to tweet an insult about himself to complete the "Trump shit talks everyone but Russians" narrative.

This is such a dumb move. He's desperate and angry.

So what does a Republican Trump supporter do now? Do they just fall for the usual 1984ish Doublethink and go "Yeah! He's right, I HATE those extreme right wing conservatives and always have! MODERATES ALL THE WAY!"

Or do they think "Wait, no, I agree with those guys. Trump is WRONG."

Trump's die hards are stupid they'd probably all jump off a bridge if he said follow me but then sat on a lawn chair watching them dive after him. He'd then turn around and say "I never told them to jump I just said it wouldn't be a good idea if we did but I can't stop them"

Shoeless

Trump's die hards are stupid they'd probably all jump off a bridge if he said follow me but then sat on a lawn chair watching them dive after him. He'd then turn around and say "I never told them to jump I just said it wouldn't be a good idea if we did but I can't stop them"

Is there a reaction to all this on that TheDonald thread on Reddit? They're the guys that universally support everything he does without question and call all his actions genius 4D chess moves, right? So I guess they're once again thinking "What master deal maker" over this?

So what does a Republican Trump supporter do now? Do they just fall for the usual 1984ish Doublethink and go "Yeah! He's right, I HATE those extreme right wing conservatives and always have! MODERATES ALL THE WAY!"

Or do they think "Wait, no, I agree with those guys. Trump is WRONG."

Oh they are certified experts at double think.

Let's not go that far. Yes, the Freedom Caucus did help swat down bad legislation, but they aren't our friends, nor are they friends among their own blind supporters.

We aren't saying that the Freedom Caucus are our friends. They aren't, but they have been unintentionally helping our goals (since Trump was elected at least). The ACA is safe because of them.

If they turn out to have substantial power within the GOP and start writing laws that actually pass, then I'll want them gone. But what they want politically is political suicide to vulnerable Republicans and ones in the Senate, so I'm not sure they'll ever get that power.

Republican infighting is always a good thing.

Kurdel

Banned
I actually think this is the best move for the republican establishment, after years of tiptoeing and appeasing the Tea party taliban.

I don't think it's the smartest move, considering how many of them comprise their base, though.

It's quite telling that we have a extreme right wing in our government, but no extreme left wing at all.

And the worst part is that... To Trump supporters and the GOP in general, Hilary was extreme left. :(

JP

Donald Trump fighting freedom? Well, there's a turn up for the books.

EDIT:
Having said that, I'm not really sure that "freedom" is their thing, either.

This is, like, the tenth time since the election that I've looked back on Paul Ryan bragging about a "newly united Republican party" after Trump won and just laugh.

image.php

I like to think this is a portrait of you during the laugh.

BriGuy

It's quite telling that we have a extreme right wing in our government, but no extreme left wing at all.

And the worst part is that... To Trump supporters and the GOP in general, Hilary was extreme left. :(
Yeah, general ineptitude aside, the GOP are masters at shifting the Overton window.

"Fall in line" doesn't work with benefactors, only with beneficiaries.

Unless Trump can outspend the Freedom Caucus, he won't get those GoP votes.

And lumping them in with Democrats is dumb because now you're waging war on two different fronts.

johnsmith

remember me
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

If @RepMarkMeadows, @Jim_Jordan and @Raul_Labrador would get on board we would have both great healthcare and massive tax cuts & reform.
3:20 PM · Mar 30, 2017

Where are @RepMarkMeadows, @Jim_Jordan and @Raul_Labrador?
#RepealANDReplace #Obamacare
3:21 PM · Mar 30, 2017

Chumley

Banned

If @RepMarkMeadows, @Jim_Jordan and @Raul_Labrador would get on board we would have both great healthcare and massive tax cuts & reform.

This fucking guy is senile

pigeon

Banned
A group of people who had the easiest job on earth of just being obstructionists because they knew any bill they would pass would get vetoed and they would never have to face the consequences of it

They wouldn't pass New Testament today if they had to vote

Soft on crime. This night thou shalt be with me in Paradise? Guy's a thief! Whatever happened to law and order?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Question. If all democrats and all freedom caucus members vote no, is that enough to block any bill?

Yes, and if they appease the "Freedom" caucus, then moderate Republicans probably won't vote for whatever it is.

oti

Banned
I actually think this is the best move for the republican establishment, after years of tiptoeing and appeasing the Tea party taliban.

I don't think it's the smartest move, considering how many of them comprise their base, though.

Too bad Paul Ryan, who is supposed to be a "good" Republican, came up with that rubbish of a bill that nobody likes. There's no hope for this party.

Ac30

I think it's telling that the thing that's getting under Trump's skin is the fact that the Freedom Caucus is getting more airtime than he is. There is going to be a government shutdown because Fox News booking policies hurt the President's feelings.

Does a shutdown happen when they can't get 60 votes to pass a budget?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Negotiation via publicly calling out people on twitter. This must work.

Ithil

I want a Trump press conference where they ask what he likes about the healthcare bill.

It's a great deal. It's the best deal, we're gonna have a great deal with this bill and we're gonna get rid of the disaster that is Obamacare. We will have tremendous healthcare with this bill and we'll repeal the disaster that is Obamacare which was one of the biggest disasters we've had, one of the worst deals.

Shoeless

I wonder how this will play out for conservative news outlets. Will they stick with Trump and insist its democrats and other republicans that are at fault while Trump is the Republican Messiah being crucified? Or, if he continues to attack fellow Republicans will they finally turn on him?

I really wonder how Fox will play this if they have to entertain him constantly attacking other Republicans for the rest of his administration.

Zolo

So he's continuing to attach himself to that trash AHCA bill that no one supported.

It's a shame because he really has the power through Twitter and other forms of media to clean up this mess. If only the GOP would support a conservative version of universal health care. It's ok that losers like Paul Ryan don't want to work with the Democrats and believe in patient-centered care. However, the AHCA harms patients that are most at risk from the top killers. Non-starter bill and needs to be thrown out.

Incarmine

Banned
People predicted that the 2016 election was going to be the end of the Republican party.

So I guess the prediction is actually playing out true, just not in the way everyone expected.

Armaros

It could return stronger than ever if he were to veto it. I don't think that'll happen though due to Trump's love of deregulation though. I suppose it's possible one of his advisors is more internet-savvy and realizes what signing the bill could do to his popularity at least online.

His WH staff have already all but said he will sign it. Spicy at a briefing let it slip with 'when Trump signs the bill'

Ithil

People predicted that the 2016 election was going to be the end of the Republican party.

So I guess the prediction is actually playing out true, just not in the way everyone expected.

They've consistently refused to address the fundamental problems in their party that are only getting worse. They've covered the cracks with shitty voter ID laws and gerrymandering, and the populist garbage that won them the 2016 election, but none of those fix the problems.

They rely entirely on dirty tricks, obstruction, division, the works, none of which actually help them govern. They appear to have forgotten how to govern, in fact. Look how incompetent they are and how little they've gotten done in spite of having total control of the government.

So while this infighting is happening the Bernie and Obama/Hillary crowds have realized their fighting is pointless and are ready to vote for whoever can stop this madness right?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If only the GOP would support a conservative version of universal health care.
Man, if conservatives thought they could end all government taxes, programs, laws and regulations relating to health care TOMORROW, and still somehow maintain their political power, they would trip over themselves to do it.

There is no conservative version of universal health care.

Mael

Man, if conservatives thought they could end all government taxes, programs, laws and regulations relating to health care TOMORROW, and still somehow maintain their political power, they would trip over themselves to do it.

There is no conservative version of universal health care.

Yes it exists, it's called no care.

Exactly! The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Nah, in this case the enemy of my enemy will never be my friend, but I'm lucky in that the only reason things aren't getting worse is because their version of what they want is also not happening.

The deadlock is temporary and they will find common ground on measures that will ruin millions of lives. At best there's some grumbling about Trump eating his young, or some of these districts get primaried during midterms, creating an opening for a darkhorse Dem or Independent to loosen the GOP's grip on the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom