• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 159 |OT| The Great White Hopeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Lol Jones is a fucking monster.

I still say Machida can win in a rematch

i9iRBNG8Eh7JL.gif

Phone died during the main event and i just got home..

WHAT THE FUCK AT THAT STOPPAGE

No way JBJ would've won if it kept going on.. God dammit Keith Peterson

Chael telling it like it is with the Serpentine.

EDIT: But oh shit Anderson called Dana tonight and apparently wants to fight JBJ FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

MrHicks

Banned
what a waste of time this fight was
everyone who bought this PPV should kick themselves in the balls

vote with your wallets people
when dana makes retarded matchups make him feel it

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Roy Nelson could finish Cain.

I love Cormier but I think Roy puts him to sleep (I hope not)

This happens every time Nelson drops an overhand right on a mid-ranked heavyweight. Werdum, Two Saints and Mir wrecked him. You can depend on Roy for two things: knocking out overmatched opponents and staggering around absorbing abuse against anyone in the top 10. The only elite opponent he has even a chance against is Overeem and that's only because there's always the possibility that Overeem gasses before he finishes him.

This happens every time Nelson drops an overhand right on a mid-ranked heavyweight. Werdum, Two Saints and Mir wrecked him. You can depend on Roy for two things: knocking out overmatched opponents and staggering around absorbing abuse against anyone in the top 10. The only elite opponent he has even a chance against is Overeem and that's only because there's always the possibility that Overeem gasses before he finishes him.

Eh whatever. Big Country looks better than ever. Cain can't take the type of advantage that Werdum took against him anyways.

Eh whatever. Big Country looks better than ever. Cain can't take the type of advantage that Werdum took against him anyways.

Everyone looks great in a first round knockout victory. But let's not pretend that Cheick isn't a strong breeze away from rubber legs at all times in the cage.

Roy can knockout pretty much anyone in the HW division but he needs to connect to make that happen and he doesn't seem to have the tools necessary to do that against the top ranked guys in the division.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Eh whatever.
Strong argument.
Big Country looks better than ever.
Against Kongo? Or do you mean his bf%?
Cain can't take the type of advantage that Werdum took against him anyways.
What?

Nelson is 36, has been fighting since 2004 and his biggest wins are Kongo, Struve and The Ghost of Mirko Past. If he'd dropped to lightheavy a few years ago or taken HW more seriously he could maybe have made a run at a title. As it stands he has a chin, an overhand right and an ok ground game with no wrestling to use it. If you think that's enough to get him a title or even beat Cormier you're dreaming.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Strong argument.

Against Kongo? Or do you mean his bf%?

What?

Nelson is 36, has been fighting since 2004 and his biggest wins are Kongo, Struve and The Ghost of Mirko Past. If he'd dropped to lightheavy a few years ago or taken HW more seriously he could maybe have made a run at a title. As it stands he has a chin, an overhand right and an ok ground game with no wrestling to use it. If you think that's enough to get him a title or even beat Cormier you're dreaming.

Really? What's Cormier got on Roy? Wrestling. That's it. He can't knock him out or submit him. Hell, I doubt he can even get Roy down..

I thought it was interesting that Dana hinted he got message from Anderson saying he wanted a superfight.

I wonder when Anderson decided? Personally, I'm guessing when he saw Jones letting Sonnen just clamp the Plum Clinch on him, ole Spider asked his old lady to hand him his iPhone.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Really? What's Cormier got on Roy? Wrestling. That's it. He can't knock him out or submit him. Hell, I doubt he can even get Roy down..

So Roy can knock Cormier out but Cormier can't knock Roy out? If he can K.O. Bigfoot then he can certainly K.O. Roy. I'd say they are pretty close in the stand up. It will be a challenging fight for both of them.

Anderson called Dana for a fight after the card? It's got to be Jones because GSP will never accept the Anderson fight.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Wrestling, speed, strength, striking. Why does it matter if Cormier can't finish him? Nelson hasn't been finished since Arlovski, but he's lost plenty of times. Cormier could hold him against the cage or the canvas and beat him up or he could outstrike him on the feet. You doubt Cormier can take Roy down? Roy Nelson who got double legged by Dos Santos?

I don't mid Big Country but it seems his fans are delusional.

Into

A dull PPV overall, the main event was never in question, Chael does not even look like he cares anymore, that second loss to Anderson basically did him in.

UFC needs to stage better main events

The best moment was the freaking interview with Rogan and Jon Jones. Bones looked so happy and as the interview went on and he realized his injury you could tell he was freaking in pain.

Main event: His foot

Should get all the bonuses

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Best thing is how after Pacman lost Lorenzo was crowing on Twitter about needing to strike while the iron is hot for super-fights. Not a lot came of that, unless you count Aldo vs Edgar.

kinggroin

Banned
Best thing is how after Pacman lost Lorenzo was crowing on Twitter about needing to strike while the iron is hot for super-fights. Not a lot came of that, unless you count Aldo vs Edgar.

Yeah man. Would have been great for UFC growth to leverage that into a massive card backed by much advertising zenny.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Wrestling, speed, strength, striking. Why does it matter if Cormier can't finish him? Nelson hasn't been finished since Arlovski, but he's lost plenty of times. Cormier could hold him against the cage or the canvas and beat him up or he could outstrike him on the feet. You doubt Cormier can take Roy down? Roy Nelson who got double legged by Dos Santos?

I don't mid Big Country but it seems his fans are delusional.

This the the same Cormier that was too afraid to take Frank Mir down for fear of being submitted. Nelson's bjj is just as good. It would be all stand up and Nelson isn't getting knocked out. I don't see Cormier winning that fight.

Silva phoned Dana to ask for Jones when he saw him with the vapors.

Even John Jones thought it was stopped early.

Also MMA math being applied right now, Silva koed Belfort in the first round. Does that mean Silva is better than Bones?!?!?! MMA MATH

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This the the same Cormier that was too afraid to take Frank Mir down for fear of being submitted. Nelson's bjj is just as good. It would be all stand up and Nelson isn't getting knocked out. I don't see Cormier winning that fight.

Cormier played it safe against Mir but there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't take down Nelson. Nelson has 0 sub victories against high level opponents, Mir was coming off breaking Nog's arm. There's also nothing Roy could do if Cormier wanted to dirty box him against the cage like he did to Mir. To reiterate, Dos Santos, Werdum and Mir all beat the piss out of Nelson. You don't have to KO someone to beat them on the feet. Nelson has a lot of KOs but his striking isn't as good as you seem to think. He has an overhand right and a chin, so he always has a chance, but against elite opponents that's not enough.

So ironic once Rogan said "This night is cursed" 3 fights were called early, one being th co main, and the main could have easily been stopped given another 48 seconds. Dat shi cray

Dysun

You guys excited for Bantamweight Title Fight #I Dont Give a Fuck up next?? Or the rematch of bloody murder Cain/Bigfoot 2?! AHH YEA

strobogo

Banned
I think "fighter" isn't quite the right term for GSP. The man has had no fire in years. He coasts on his super athleticism. If he was actually a fighter, he'd really fight people and finish guys in the first round. Not go to decision against guys far below his skill level.

Plenty of people think GSP is the best fighter in the world.
I believe he is one of the best. He might be boring to watch more often than not, but he is smart and totally believes in a decision victory. I can see him literally making a point judgment his game plan lol. Not the most exciting fight (hype removed), but it's as legit a threat to a loss as a knockout or sub.

But yeah, Silva/Bones would be far more entertaining I believe.

Dysun

All this super-fight talk is a waste of time, GSP and Silva both know if they move up their gonna lose. It wont happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom