• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 205 at MSG |OT| Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez | Who Da Fook Are These Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.

Watch how he paws the jab about Canelo

7_medium.gif

Then catches him with the right.

Watch him throw a half-hearted jab to get Guerrero to commit

Mayweather-Guerrero%202_zpsbdfukkta.gif

Then the right struck him almost instantaneously.

Conor is a natural counter puncher and if people are willing to stand in front him, we we continue to see the same result because he understands distance better than his opponent. The tapping of the jab is also a measurement of distance. Conor is smart and currently, I don't know if the current pool of MMA fighters around him can match up if they can't get him to the ground.
MMA striking defense is at a pretty poor standard compared to boxing and Mayweather's defense is supernaturally great, he's easily in the top 5 greatest of all time defensive boxers. I can't stand him but he's a goddamned master of space and distance and has genius countering skills...CHECK HOOK KING!!!

Levito

Banned
God not the Mayweather stuff again. Look Conor is incredible but if you think he could last even one round against Mayweather in a boxing match you are lying to yourself.

Chumley

Banned
Conor wants his money and the UFC will give it to him. They pretty much have to.

Also yeah he said his injuries from the Diaz fights weren't even fully healed tonight. Lol.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Over 200K hanging on to every fooking word.

He is gonna get what he wants.

Rhonda or anyone else is not in the same universe as Sir McGregor. 😂

Fuck he is funny cunt.

Conor wants his money and the UFC will give it to him. They pretty much have to.

Also yeah he said his injuries from the Diaz fights weren't even fully healed tonight. Lol.

I think that adds more to Diaz stock value as well to be the only one in there with conor for 5 rounds, almost beating him and the first match victory as well.

those two deserve a 3 trilogy.

I mean conor did say "maybe the 3rd"

so who knows.

Tryxx

i've read stuff like mayweather gets paid when they freakin sell a hot dog at his fights.
Conor is only in the tens of millions mayweather is in he hundreds of millions two different leagues. Not saying Conor won't get there eventually but as of now not even close.

Could Conor make more money than Mayweather?

No he cant make as much, because the reason Floyd is able to make the insane paychecks he makes is he is also his own promoter. Conor doesn't get any sort of promotion cuts since the UFC is the promotion.

That said, if he can work himself a piece of the UFC then yes, he can

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Conor vs Diaz will def happen again if UFC do right by both fighters.

I'm happy for both because they'll be rolling in that money like an armadillo down a hill.

I would love to see this Mayweather for the fun of it. Would be a perfect time to make it happen on the high he's on right now or he should fight diaz and let tony vs kabib fight for title shot on the same card.

Macattk15

God not the Mayweather stuff again. Look Conor is incredible but if you think he could last even one round against Mayweather in a boxing match you are lying to yourself.

I see no reason why Conor couldn't last a round ... or several with Mayweather. If Conor didn't have to worry about takedowns or anything else I am sure he could hang in there for a bit.

They are both counter punchers so it might be a little boring also.

Would he win the fight? No way.

Chesskid1

Banned
it's interesting that conor wants to be an owner instead of you know, asking for more PPV points, bigger cuts, etc.

residual income i suppose, not that he needs it

The Beard

He deserves some equity at this point. The guy is an ultra huge mega draw. Without him who does the UFC have? Ronda, who's head is no longer in it, and is one loss away from calling it quits for good?

No one on the roster is even a terd as valuable as him.

Worth noting Conor's last fight with Nate would be the 6th largest boxing PPV ever, and this fight beat that. We don't know by how much but its going to likely be in the top 5 highest boxing PPV's ever or close to it.

McGregor is just a few steps below the biggest boxing PPV's ever (though obviously not near Manny vs Paq. That PPV may never be beaten)

Worth noting Conor's last fight with Nate would be the 6th largest boxing PPV ever, and this fight beat that. We don't know by how much but its going to likely be in the top 5 highest boxing PPV's ever or close to it.

McGregor is just a few steps below the biggest boxing PPV's ever (though obviously not near Manny vs Paq. That PPV may never be beaten)

He should have the top 3 UFC PPVs of all time after tonight, and four 1 million+ buy PPVs to his name.

Johnson was so close to that KO but he got mauled.

I now have no confidence my KO prediction will hold, but he has a puncher's chance.

certainly an interesting prediction though, and there is some merit to it. Someone with some better accuracy and power could do something possibly.

Oscar

it's interesting that conor wants to be an owner instead of you know, asking for more PPV points, bigger cuts, etc.

He's planning an exit IMO, smart of him.

Picture him becoming an owner and then just retiring when it's no longer fun for him anymore. He's already in the legend books of MMA due to this two weight class champion feat, he's already rich.

Chumley

Banned
It also doesn't sound like Conor is taking as long as a year off. I'd guess something more like 8 months, we'll see him again next summer.

sirap

Smart man. Realistically, he only has 3-4 years at the top. Once he's out of his prime/starts losing his earning potential goes down.

Having a stake in the company is much better long term.

He should have the top 3 UFC PPVs of all time after tonight, and four 1 million+ buy PPVs to his name.

Yep he is a certified mega star for any industry. He's so big its not just "Oh he's big for an MMA athlete" as the big fighters have been in the past.

Conor is a true draw under any metric you slice it

Holy shit, Woodley and Wonderboy are both beast-mode warriors and standup guys. That's good shit right there.

And Connor...dude is hilariously entertaining. Definitely makes the sport so much more from that perspective.

Levito

Banned
Boy all those folks that talked all that shit about Nate Diaz and his skills look pretty fucking silly now, eh? (Not that they didn't before)

I'll just add I feel bad for Eddie through this. By all accounts he is a good guy and got totally humiliated. It's gonna be a tough loss but hey he's still gonna get a huge paycheck for it

Oscar

So uh, he's gonna take time off due to the baby.

Both FW and LW are fucked for at least a year till he returns, got it.

Nobody gives a shit about interim champs.

Could Conor make more money than Mayweather?

No, McGregor would be rich as fuck if he had a super fight with Mayweather...100+ million each. But Mayweather style would make it a tough night for Conor so maybe a fight with Manny Pacquiao who just came out of retirement recently would make more sense as he's easier to hit.

Conor vs Diaz will def happen again if UFC do right by both fighters.

I'm happy for both because they'll be rolling in that money like an armadillo down a hill.

I could possibly see it happen at 209. Gives Conor time to go home, rest up properly, spend time with his family over Christmas and New Years, before beginning to start back up in January for a fight in February before the kid is due, after which, if he wins, he'll have 1 defence at 155 and could more easily justify time off to look after his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom