• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 205 at MSG |OT| Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez | Who Da Fook Are These Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
I could possibly see it happen at 209. Gives Conor time to go home, rest up properly, spend time with his family over Christmas and New Years, before beginning to start back up in January for a fight in February before the kid is due, after which, if he wins, he'll have 1 defence at 155 and could more easily justify time off to look after his family.

February makes sense if the baby is due in March, then he can take a break till the end of 2017.

The Beard

Member all the shit-talking/baiting Eddie has been doing for almost the past year? Conor made him look real bad tonight.

Santa Claus is real, motherfuckers! 🎅🏻

sirap

So uh, he's gonna take time off due to the baby.

Both FW and LW are fucked for at least a year till he returns, got it.

Nobody gives a shit about interim champs.

That's alright, nobody gives a shit about Aldo either way.

Not that I agree with it, but that's just the way it is with lighter weights. Mighty Mouse is my favorite fighter but no one cares about his division. How can you not love a champ who enjoys Dragon Ball? :(

Has anyone besides BJ Penn and Conor even ever actually tried to hold the championship in two divisions before?

Conor is the first to do it simultaneously. Impressive at is, there were other deserving champions that wanted to move up but weren't allowed to hold two consecutive belts. Aldo, for example, wanted to go up to 155 and fight Pettis for the belt. The UFC said no. I believe the same happened with a supposed superfight between GSP and Silva, though I don't know if that was meant to be a title fight as well.

Along comes Conor and his record numbers and the UFC changed its mind.

iLLmAtlc

Sizzling take

I like Conor but his 2 belts reflect more his drawing power than any fighting achievement. This feat is so rare in the UFC because it's so hard to clean out the divisions AND gain the weight necessary to fight the bigger fighter.

Conor did neither. He was so much bigger than Alvarez that you would have no idea he held the higher belt and he bypassed the literal 145 interim champ to take this fight. Hyping him up as the first ever 2 division champ is a joke.

Oh yeah I haven't mentioned that Eddie had no business being in a super fight. He had like one good fight at 155 and never defended his belt either.

Seriously this is like being impressed that Mr. McMahon won the world title when he's the boss and gets to make any match he wants.

The Beard

Sizzling take

I like Conor but his 2 belts reflect more his drawing power than any fighting achievement. This feat is so rare in the UFC because it's so hard to clean out the divisions AND gain the weight necessary to fight the bigger fighter.

Conor did neither. He was so much bigger than Alvarez that you would have no idea he held the higher belt and he bypassed the literal 145 interim champ to take this fight. Hyping him up as the first ever 2 division champ is a joke.

2edgy4me

Sizzling take

It's simply the truth. The fact that at his size he is able to cut to 145 is itself a skill in the same way a natural 145 lber going up to 155 would be.

VoxPop

What a fucking night! Crowd was super hot and got insane for Weidman/Conor. Irish fans are awesome.

The "who the fuck is that guy" chant during the Stephens fight was gold.

Conor Diaz III is the logical money fight to make right now but hard to justify a Nate title shot with all the killers at 155.

I say let Ferguson and Khabib duke it out for a shot while they wait.

All around fantastic card aside from the Meisha fight. Worth every penny.

Levito

Banned
If Conor fought Nate over Khabib it would be the first time I legitimately believed Conor was ducking a fight.

Not that I blame him, though. Khabib is like a villain out of a 80s slasher flick.

Chumley

Banned
It's simply the truth. The fact that at his size he is able to cut to 145 is itself a skill in the same way a natural 145 lber going up to 155 would be.

Yep. There is so much shit that goes into this besides the fight itself. The weight cut and boring ass meals to go with it, the run-up to the fight, the mind games, the training. Conor isn't lying when he says he's working at this 24/7.

Woodley Wonderboy could be fight of the year, fucking amazing. Conor was first to win 2 belts and he totally deserves it. But let's be serious here, if UFC actually let other fighters do it what Conor did there would probably be others before him. Demetrious, Cruz, Cormier, Jones, etc.

Levito

Banned
No one has been allowed to even try until now.

Not true:

Ufc_94_poster.jpg

sirap

Sizzling take

Here are some lemons for your salt.

Bigger isn't always better. Many fighters thought they could drop down and win (hell, plenty of lightweights and welterweights do that). How many of them have actually won titles?

The Beard

If Conor fought Nate over Khabib it would be the first time I legitimately believed Conor was ducking a fight.

Not that I blame him, though. Khabib is like a villain out of a 80s slasher flick.

If Khabib can get rocked by MJ's sloppy boxing, Conor would knock Khabib's head clean off.

iLLmAtlc

I already said I like Conor guys. If all fighters were like him this sport would be freaken amazing. Exciting fighting style, great on the mic, and great fights.

Amazing performance, great striking, so on and so forth.

McGregors boxing is plenty sloppy. That chin is just waiting to be checked by the right guy.

Certainly wouldn't be Khabib

And Conor's boxing is far from sloppy. He just has the speed and timing to be able to lower his guard and the skill to manipulate his opponents boxing in a way that makes him look like he is fighting with a low guard

Now if he went to 170 he is asking for trouble. But nobody from 145-55 is near Conor

Also who has Khabib beaten of considerable note? I see Dos Anjos by decision over two years ago but is that it?

Seems like he has pulled out of the majority of his big scheduled fights. Conor makes a fair call

dopplr

McGregor in the second by TKO
JJ by Decision
Woodley in the first by TKO

Fuck me, shoulda put money on this. Mcgregors left hand is unreal. The amount of power along he produces and the precision is fucking ridiculous.

Edit: Also as predicted, his reach advantage and his utilization is amazing - only reason Nate had a chance against him is due to his long torso and long arms. That guy took dozens of shots that have completely destroyed Conors opponents and yet he still gets back up. Best thing that ever happened to him was losing that fight and evolving as a fighter.

karasu

Certainly wouldn't be Khabib

And Conor's boxing is far from sloppy. He just has the speed and timing to be able to lower his guard and the skill to manipulate his opponents boxing in a way that makes him look like he is fighting with a low guard

Now if he went to 170 he is asking for trouble. But nobody from 145-55 is near Conor

I was going to mention his speed. But I was going to say it makes up for his sloppy boxing lol.

I was going to mention his speed. But I was going to say it makes up for his sloppy boxing lol.

Hmm I don't think it's sloppy, it's just an understanding of timing and distance that allows him to get away with things that he probably couldn't in a pro boxing match if he were facing a Mayweather for example

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Also who has Khabib beaten of considerable note? I see Dos Anjos by decision over two years ago but is that it?

Seems like he has pulled out of the majority of his big scheduled fights. Conor makes a fair call

If Conor can get a title fight for beating Siver than you can't question who Khabib has beaten lol

Radec

These wannabe badass commentators are the worst. The man is carrying two belts, one of which he won in 13 fucking seconds. But no he needs to fight this one guy because reasons.

And when Conor eventually fight and beat* that guy, there would be another one. It's an endless bullshit.

Jezbollah

If Conor can get a title fight for beating Siver than you can't question who Khabib has beaten lol

Conor's Siver fight was a stop-gap - he didn't need to fight him. He was already top 3 and was lined up for a title shot. That fight was seen as an unnecessary risk at the time, which you would have known and noted if you were really honest :)

danthefan

Watching the fight now, just at the end of round 1. Can see in Eddie's face that he's basically gone after that first knockdown, he's done.

karasu

Hmm I don't think it's sloppy, it's just an understanding of timing and distance that allows him to get away with things that he probably couldn't in a pro boxing match if he were facing a Mayweather for example

I mean there are plenty of boxing favorites who had sloppy technical boxing too. Their athleticism just let them get away with crazy shit. It's not really a knock against them, though. If it works for you, it works. But the openings ARE there.

danthefan

The reverse angle of that four punch flurry that ended showed how much Eddie's head is rocking around with each shot. The power Conor has is unreal.

I've been reading through the thread and people saying he'd stuggle with X or Y fighter... I mean of course he struggled with Diaz. If you go from 145lb in one fight to 170lb in the next, how the hell are you not going to struggle?

Conor wants to have his stake of the ownership and Khabib is waiting in line for a classic striker vs grappler matchup.

This'll be interesting.

Braag

Conor's preicision and power is pretty crazy. I can't believe how many times he dropped Alvarez.
Khabib is gonna be the toughest challenge he has ever faced though. Unless he knocks him out before Khabib takes him to the ground. If they end up fighting that is. I mean Ferguson probably wants a title shot as well after beating RDA.

The stand out performance for me was probably Wonderboy though, I can't believe how he managed to still keep going after those shots and endure that guillotine choke. Woodley didn't feel like a winner at all even before they corrected the score.

lol @ Woodley lending out his belt so Conor could showboat.

Company man to the end.

That was Woodley's belt? And after all that weird stupid drama with Conor. He's a stand up guy.

JB1981

I was pretty lit when I watched this fight so I watched it again this morning sober and I can't believe how absolutely outclassed Eddie was in every respect. Eddie is a champion fighter and Connor knocked him to the mat 5 times effortlessly. Maybe the best performance of Connor's career. He also stuffed Eddies takedowns with relative ease. He is just getting better. Scary

I was just surprised how durable Alvarez was until the stoppage. Dude got dropped and rocked so much but Conor's striking was just too much and the end came. Fuck, Eddie just made a shitload of money despite the outcome, right?

Jezbollah

Looking at the Lightweight rankings, I think Fergurson is going to get screwed. I suspect we'll see Khabib next in line to fight then we'll see the third Diaz fight to finish the Trilogy and for the 155lbs title. Everyone else? Doesnt look like a clear path outside the top 7 for an immediate shot.

1 (C) - Conor
2 - Khabib
3 - Fergurson
4 - Alvarez (starched by Conor last night)
5 - Dos Anjos (beaten by Fergurson and Alvarez in a row)
6 - Nate Diaz (makes the most logic beyond Khabib, but thats unfair on Fergurson IMO if he gets it before him)
7 - Johnson (got beaten by Khabib)
8 - Barboza (I think he's one fight away from a title shot given he's beaten Pettis and Melendez in a row)
9 - Melendez (three loss streak)
10 - Chiesa (potential fight with Melendez maybe?)

I suspect Conor goes back to 145lbs but think he'll take his time with the transformation. I'll be stunned if he legitimately goes for the 170lb title given how fucking huge they are compared to him.

gogogow

I was just surprised how durable Alvarez was until the stoppage. Dude got dropped and rocked so much but Conor's striking was just too much and the end came. Fuck, Eddie just made a shitload of money despite the outcome, right?

Alvarez made 540k. He is ranked no.3, behind Woodley's 590k and Conor's 3.590m.

But damn, Conor seems to feel extremely comfortable at 155. Conor has come a long way with his takedown defense since the Mendes fight. Conor isn't going for takedowns any time soon, but as long as he can defend himself from takedowns, he's going to be very dangerous.

geardo

That fight was kind of a letdown to be honest. I really thought it was gonna be a 5 round war - not a one-sided beatdown. What the hell was Alvarez doing trying to box Mcgregor like that? I don't see a guy at lightweight that can beat Mcgregor at this point other than maybe Khabib or Nate.

Waiting for Woodley vs Wonderboy 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom