• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Dont mind if I do....
tumblr_ni8jczXRk11sodo64o1_500.gif
That’s fucking hot.

near

Gold Member
I'm going to download it tomorrow and try it out. I might be the only one on GAF playing this on PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll say I didn’t do enough research prior to but the combat is once again a big old “why is this even here” like 13 sentinels.

Yes there is strategy and I see how it will layer it on… but not getting to decide actions in combat itself is such a big miss. When a game has to add a fast forward AND a skip battle function , that’s a clear sign the combat is whatever.

It animates and looks great, but the meat of the gameplay is everything outside of actual combat taking place.

I really think vanilla just needs to make visual novels. :/

Arsic

You'll set up gambits for your units. You can micromanage every single one of them.
How? During actual combat right now it’s just watch what happens. I don’t pick anything but prior to combat. Prior I can select composition, gear, where someone stands, and if I want to fire off a valor skills, right?

Once combat starts I can’t do shit except fast forward or skip it… and as the game goes on I know I’ll just skip non stop.

Labadal

How? During actual combat right now it’s just watch what happens. I don’t pick anything but prior to combat. Prior I can select composition, gear, where someone stands, and if I want to fire off a valor skills, right?

Once combat starts I can’t do shit except fast forward or skip it… and as the game goes on I know I’ll just skip non stop.
I don't know how far in you are, but you will be introduced to a gambit style system a la FFXII, if you are familiar with that. The combat is still automatic, but you'll get to tailor unit behavior to your liking.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Watch this.....

You are micro managing every move your unit makes, I would even argue you have more options compare to other SRPG like Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Arsic

Watch this.....

You are micro managing every move your unit makes, I would even argue you have more options compare to other SRPG like Fire Emblem.

Sorry what am I watching here? The time stamp you took me to showed me an auto battle, no tinkering, into skip battles, while the guy starts to talk about bad writing in the game.

Wrong time stamp or something?

Danjin44

Sorry what am I watching here? The time stamp you took me to showed me an auto battle, no tinkering, into skip battles, while the guy starts to talk about bad writing in the game.

Wrong time stamp or something?
Watch 4:15 if the combat in the demo doesn't sell you then I guess the game is not your cup of tea, I personally loved the gambit style system here and how you have control over all your units actions.

Last edited:

Arsic

Watch 4:15 if the combat in the demo doesn't sell you then I guess the game is not your cup of tea, I personally loved the gambit style system here and how you have control over all your units actions.
Hmmm.

Yeah I may play despite the combat. 13 sentinels combat was whatever and the game was still my GOTY thanks to everything else being a 10/10.

I may not day one unicorn depending on what else I’m playing.

Danjin44

Hmmm.

Yeah I may play despite the combat. 13 sentinels combat was whatever and the game was still my GOTY thanks to everything else being a 10/10.

I may not day one unicorn depending on what else I’m playing.
The combat was huge highlight for me, escpially if you are familiar with Ogre Battle 64.

NanaMiku

Tried the demo but still haven't finished.

The battle systems seem pretty complex. As expected of a programmer when become the director.

Now I cannot decide to get the game for PS4 or for Switch

BASED DESIGNER

[14 days left until #ユニコーンオーバーロード release]I was in charge of heroine character animation and food graphics. Unable to control my own quirks, Scarlet became bulky and Unifi's legs became thicker...!The trial version has started distribution, so if you are interested, please check it out! (Designer: Shigatake)

Danjin44

Now I cannot decide to get the game for PS4 or for Switch
I’m getting PS5 version but honestly it doesn’t matter, the game so gorgeous no matter what system get it in.

Vanillaware doesn’t miss! They don’t release games often compare to other devs but when they do they go all out with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Saber

Gold Member
Played the game and my thoughs are from outside from the first looks is kinda resembles Fire Emblem but its not one at all and its very deep. The team mechanics might need you to get used to but once you do you slam enemies. Also the visuals are so good that even calling FE is kinda insulting to the work done. Vanillaware work is amazing, the game is very pretty. It brings my talk about graphics aging because this right here will not.

One thing that I might notice is that the tutorial suggestions for team composition didn't help.
My conclusion is that yeah this game is for me.

Last edited:
Will try the demo soon. Normally Vanillaware = day 1 but unfortunately this is launching at the wrong time, will still be super busy with FF VII Rebirth, still haven't finished Yakuza 8, the last thing I need is another, massive RPG on my plate, will probably pick it up sometime around May, give it my full attention and complete it before Elden Ring DLC drops 👌

Last edited:
The demo looks to be quite meaty as I'm 5h into my save and I feel like I have at least 1 or 2 more hour of content to go through. Really enjoyed what I've played so far and good thinking from Vanillaware there with the demo progress transferring over to the main game. Now I'm even more happy that I managed to lock in my PS5 physical pre-order at €50 with free shipping lol.

Last edited:

Mercador

After returning to the Switch after playing on the Steam Deck since 3 months, it's really a bummer they don't release that on PC. OG Switch is so pale in front of the OLED SD. No chances it gets release on PC right?

And that's a wrap! I'd say that Vanillaware has struck gold with this SRPG — art direction, character design, music, combat are all top tier (ofc, didn't expect anything less from them)!

It also runs excellent on the Portal which helps tons as most likely I'll be putting many hours into it while at work during breaks and late night when I'm bed.

Now the wait till launch day begins...

20240225_004406.jpg

Last edited:

Kacho

No chances it gets release on PC right?
Hard to say. Given Vanillaware’s small size they may not be able to support more than a couple platforms.

I do think a PC port would do incredibly well for them though. The market is there. Once Atlus saw how well Persona 4 sold they were all in on PC. I’d expect a similar result for Vanillaware.

near

Gold Member
Only had time to complete the intermission, explore menus and what not. I haven't really got to explore the intricacies of the game mechanics, but on a surface level it looks like it can be loaded with strategies. I was going to get this digitally, but I'm going to pre-order a physical copy off Play-Asia I think. I wonder if I'll be able to continue my save using a different region disc tho?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom