• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US investigating possible Russian involvement in Syrian chemical weapon attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://m.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Trump-defends-attack-on-Syria-demands-end-the-11057130.php

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The United States is looking into whether Russia participated in the Syrian chemical weapons attack that provoked President Donald Trump's airstrikes against the Assad government, a revelation that could have dramatic implications for relations between Washington and Moscow.

On Friday, senior U.S. military officials said a drone belonging to either Russia or Syria was seen hovering over the site of the chemical weapons attack after the assault earlier this week. Russia is one of Syria's most important patrons and has long resisted U.S. efforts to push President Bashar Assad from power.

The Trump administration sent conflicting messages on what the strikes signaled for the overall U.S. policy in Syria. White House officials said the assault was not a step toward deeper involvement in Syria's civil war, though Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said Washington was prepared to take further military action.

A spokesman for Vladimir Putin said the strike "deals a significant blow to the Russia-U.S. relations, which are already in a deplorable shape," and poses a "serious obstacle" for creating an international coalition against terrorism.

flkraven

Incoming threats by Trump to Russia, just so they can 'negotiate' peace which involves removing Russian sanctions.

Poppy

Damn how did we get from the russian puppet Trump to this so fast?

it honestly makes me question whether or not its some kind of way to draw attention away from his russia connections, but as soon as i start thinking about that i imagine myself wearing a tinfoil hat

i dunno anymore

I'm surprised Trump isn't on Twitter trashing Putin as Assad's lackey.

I guess when you are facing someone with nukes, the Tweet-muscles go into atrophy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump attempts to take us to war with Russia just to 'prove' that they weren't colluding together.

Red

The Trump campaign can have coordinated with Russia to tilt the election, and still act in hostility following the election. There is no reason both things can't be true at once.

Slime

Banned
Incoming threats by Trump to Russia, just so they can 'negotiate' peace which involves removing Russian sanctions.

Or Trump-Russia is about to blow wide open, and Trump is getting out in front of it by doing the opposite of what we'd expect.

If everyone is about to see the pee pee tape anyway, why not puff up your chest at Russia to counter claims that you're Putin's puppet? Trump always throws his allies under the bus anyway.

At this point I'm suspicious anything America does related to Russia. It's rarely what it seems to be these days. If Russia was involved though I'd be surprised how Trump reacts. He's NEVER said a bad word about Putin.

What would Russia have to gain from participating in a chemical attack on Syrian civilians?

Obviously Russia is willing to jump to Assad's defense on just about any abhorent thing he does after the fact, but them willingly taking part just doesn't make sense to me.

One lesson to be drawn here is that foreign policy is directed by perceptions of what is in a nation's material and strategic interests, and that such considerations do not radically change with the transition to a new administration.

Trump may have warm feelings towards Putin, and Putin may have judged him useful as an agent of chaos, but nothing changes the fact that many US and Russian foreign policy goals are irreconcilable with each other.

Engell

it honestly makes me question whether or not its some kind of way to draw attention away from his russia connections, but as soon as i start thinking about that i imagine myself wearing a tinfoil hat

i dunno anymore

Well Russia would have to turn off the air defence they provided for assad for the tomahawk missiles to reach their target.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
In b4 Russia drops a beautifully gift-wrapped hard drive to every news station in the US.

Trump won't start a war he has shin splints or whatever was wrong with his foot during Vietnam
As long as he's not the one in danger, he'll happily throw lives away just for the sake of his ego.

Why would I have a link? Why you asking silly questions.

The idea that Assad used chemical weapons when he had nothing to game makes no sense to me, but the idea of Russia using them is just plain stupid.

So did ISIS fighters learn to fly in order to drop that gas on people? Who would have carried out the attack if not Assad? He has been murdering his own people for years now, what do you mean by that?

Do we know yet why Russians were in that base at all?

To help keep Assad in power.

He buys their warplanes and other military equipment.

$$$$$$

As long as Assad is in power, Russia has a buyer and free access to a military base for their own military operations.

Effect

He's still a puppet and easily lead. Don't be mistaken about that. Deflection and distractions are important here and should not be forgotten. That's their go to about everything.

Skyzard

Banned
Drone hovering over the area after it was attacked doesn't seem like it has any connection, seems weird as a reason to prompt a focused investigation on them.

Not that I would trust any investigation by the US on this.

So did ISIS fighters learn to fly in order to drop that gas on people? Who would have carried out the attack if not Assad? He has been murdering his own people for years now, what do you mean by that?

... Then who did?

Was it a false flag operation?
Who the hell knows. That's why we have investigations to see what occurred instead of appealing to confirmation bias. And chemical weapons don't have to be delivered by air, stop it.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure US military has the capability of telling what kind of aircraft launched the strike. Anyone denying this was Assad is just ignoring reality.

US is super reliable in this situation. They definitely don't have an agenda to remove Assad since the start of the protests.

They'd never lie about something serious like that and would 100% verify their facts before acting.

They don't just make excuses to go to wars that suit them.

So when does Wikileaks turn on Trump?

Haven't even considered this.

tenor.gif

MUnited83

For you.
Meh, nothing more than empty useless bravado that won't result on finding anything. Trump just wants to appear tough on Russia to make the Russia collusion story to awaym

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't tell what's a work and what's a shoot anymore.

From CNN:

The US military official said the Pentagon was examining specifically whether a Russian warplane had bombed a hospital in Khan Sheikhoun five hours after the initial chemical attack, with the aim of destroying evidence.

A US defense official says intelligence shows a Russian drone flew over the hospital in Idlib that was treating victims of the chemical attack, prior to the site being later bombed by an unknown aircraft.

The Russians operate drones in the area routinely so the Pentagon cannot be certain the drone operator even knew what was happening, but the drone was a Russian asset. The US military has a variety of classified technical means to determine who is operating aircraft in the region.

Apparently after the chemical attack, either RUSSIA or SYRIA went back and bombed a hospital treating chemical victims to conceal evidence of the chemical attack.

Fucking bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom