• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Oscars ratings on ABC down 6% to eight-year low in the overnights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think most Americans, on their downtime, want to watch a bunch of rich white people get gold trophies, and then talk about how great they all are.

hollomat

Banned
I so, so, so hope everyone starts realizing how specifically racist Hollywood is to Asians too. Maybe even more so than black people.

I was shocked how much this has been ignored. Could've made a great punchline/awareness thing for Chris Rock to bring up too.

Nipo

Don't have it end at midnight on a Sunday and maybe i'll watch it. Also the whole should should only be 90 minutes.

KAP151

Although I didnt watch the entire thing, the fact that they at least put the whole 'id like to thank' 15 min speeches in text form at the bottom of the screen was a HUGE plus.

Don't have it end at midnight on a Sunday and maybe i'll watch it. Also the whole should should only be 90 minutes.
So just spitfire awards then? No one will watch the damn thing. People would rather watch the skits and the opening monologues, dance routines, live songs and good visual candy than sit through the awards stuff and the boring 10 minute thank you speeches.

I'm probably late to point this out, but wasn't there a study a month or two ago that said that Oscars where the acting nominees contain less ethnic diversity tend to have lower ratings than in the years where there's a greater swath?

I so, so, so hope everyone starts realizing how specifically racist Hollywood is to Asians too. Maybe even more so than black people.

Yup. Some GAFfers feel that it wasn't Rock's obligation to talk about the larger group of people of color that get looked over when it comes to roles (I disagree, but fair enough), but the Asian jokes in a year that's especially focused on how minorities are marginalized was really not the smartest/funniest/best idea. I can't put that on Rock specifically since I don't know the joke was specifically his idea, but it was still lame.

*poignant joke about how if blacks had their own categories it'd be a bunch of cliché "black best friend" categories*

30 minutes later

*joke about Asians being good at math*

Heyyy awesome.

As bad as I feel about being underrepresented in quality roles in cinema I feel even worse for Asians, Latinos, and Native Americans.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I blame the horrible discrimination in the Best Animated Feature category.

A friend put it this way to me

"I am making payments every month on an Optima for a 60 month term. I don't feel like watching people who get $250,000 gift bags to go to a place that wants to *insert sexual act with a hand here*"

BobLoblaw

Banned
Besides the diversity thing (which people think only means black actors, but it's bigger than that), I'm gonna say that the movies people WANTED to see win major awards (MMFR, SW:TFA, etc) are never taken seriously. Personally, I would've LOVED to see MMFR win Best Picture, but I knew it had a snowball's chance in hell of being both nominated AND winning. If I thought there was a chance, I might've watched. Oh well.

dream

Besides the diversity thing (which people think only means black actors, but it's bigger than that), I'm gonna say that the movies people WANTED to see win major awards (MMFR, SW:TFA, etc) are never taken seriously. Personally, I would've LOVED to see MMFR win Best Picture, but I knew it had a snowball's chance in hell of being both nominated AND winning. If I thought there was a chance, I might've watched. Oh well.
But those people would be watching the MTV Movie Awards and the Teen Choice Awards, no?

Huh ? WTF ?

Why else do you think Disney has won the award for 'Best Animated Feature' eight years in a row?

The reason that Inside Out won isn't because Studio Ghibli's When Marnie Was There isn't a better movie than Inside Out
it is
or that Hiromasa Yonebayashi isn't more deserving of an Oscar more than Pete Docter
he is
, it's because the Oscar voters are clueless about animation. They clearly don't watch all the films in the categories they are asked to vote on and often default to the safe, "popular" vote (which in the case of Best Animated Feature basically means whatever the hell their kids liked).

I blame the horrible discrimination in the Best Animated Feature category.

THIS. #OscarsSoDisney

Why else do you think Disney has won the award for 'Best Animated Feature' eight years in a row?

The reason that Inside Out won isn't because Studio Ghibli's When Marnie Was There isn't a better movie than Inside Out
it is
or that Hiromasa Yonebayashi isn't more deserving of an Oscar more than Pete Docter
he is
, it's because the Oscar voters are clueless about animation. They clearly watch all the films in the categories they are asked to vote on and often default to the safe, "popular" vote (which in the case of Best Animated Feature basically means whatever the hell their kids liked).

THIS. #OscarsSoDisney
Holy moly, that article.

Holy moly, that article.

Yep.

I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw. That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

MisterHero

How do I go about getting sent the year's best animated movies so I can vote for them
Disney/Pixar would probably never win

it is
he is
, it's because the Oscar voters are clueless about animation. They clearly watch all the films in the categories they are asked to vote on and often default to the safe, "popular" vote (which in the case of Best Animated Feature basically means whatever the hell their kids liked).

THIS. #OscarsSoDisney

It's infuriating how little of a shit Oscar voters have for animated movies. Animation has been around as long as the creation of films, but still viewed as something that's only for kids and they don't want to waste time watching the movies.

Just fuck Hollywood and its blatant disregard of Animation.

I'm actually shocked. This was one of the best Oscar's I've ever watched.
That's like saying "this was one of the best farts I ever smelled."

It's still a bloated snoozer even if they dress it up a little better. I don't think I've ever been able to watch more than ten minutes without getting bored, flipping somewhere else and coming back for the last ten minutes to see Best Picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom