• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Oscars ratings on ABC down 6% to eight-year low in the overnights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
People acting like no one watched the Oscars this year. It still had a ridiculously large audience -- a hell of a lot larger than anything else on television. I'd chalk up the lower viewership to the decline in live television watching as a whole. As someone who hasn't watched the Oscars all the way through in probably 10-15 years, I stuck with them this year -- mainly because of Chris Rock's hosting gig. Outside of the stupid Girl Scouts plugs that overstayed their welcome, he was amazing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I didn't really care, but I haven't seen most of the movies nominated this year that were more niche stuff. I think I've only seen Mad Max out of the Best Picture nominees. Just watched Chris Rock's monologue.

It's more fun when there's a big tentpole release with a legit shot at awards.

Also, the show always ends way too late... they should start it at 7 PM EST/4 PM PST.

NO! The east coast domination of our TV schedules must end NOW! I can no longer sanction being drunk at 10:15am on a Sunday morning because of Tom Brady.

Catdaddy

It went up against Walking Dead...

Over the past few years, always waited until the next day to capture the "best of" clips. Most award shows are over-long and just plain dull...

Wish they'd make it an hour with only the awards people actually care about. They can put the first three hours on E! network or something if people really want to see who wins best sound editing.

NO! The east coast domination of our TV schedules must end NOW! I can no longer sanction being drunk at 10:15am on a Sunday morning because of Tom Brady.

As someone who has lived on the east coast his whole life, I've always searched for an excuse to get wasted at 10am on Sunday morning. Seriously sounds so much fun.

Fox318

its an industry insider award show.

The fact that gossip people and fashion insiders try to turn it into something crazy is always stupid.

People always make too much out of it.

s_mirage

Let's be honest here, the Oscars, like most award shows, are pretty boring. I count myself as a film fan, but I have a 100% failure rate at actually watching all of what amounts to an annual Hollywood back slapathon.

In an era where you can get instant updates on who's winning what without having to sit through the cringe-worthy acceptance speeches, it's no surprise that more people are tuning out in order to do something else.

Reversed

Got a chuckle from Louis CK's mentioning Fury Road as the winner for whatsitsname category (when it wasn't even nominated), and Gaga singing against harrassment was pretty moving. Not to mention that Chris Rock killed it at the beginning. Other than that, it was pretty lackluster.

They didn't miss much.

Only bits people need to see are the movie parody montage, Gaga's performance, Louis CK's presentation and DiCaprio's speech.

faridmon

It was the first year I didn't watch in a long time. I didn't feel very strongly about any of the movies outside of Spotlight, seemed like a pretty weak year

Spotlight beat angry-man-yells-at-the-woods and my man Lubewiski won for the third time in a row, so I'm satisfied.

Not even Room?

WTF?

impact

Banned
after Fraud Max won a bunch of awards everyone knows these things are bullshit

then again Crash won best picture that one year so anyone with a brain knew long ago

I'm surprised people sit through these entire things. If you don't watch walking dead live you're FUCKED for spoilers.

lol oh no

FTF

If they had nominated TFA for bp it would have been highest rated in 8 years.

And of course had some more diversity in the noms.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years because I don't care if a movie star wins a fucking award. I really couldn't give less of a shit. Their award is getting paid to do their job.

Davey Cakes

If they had nominated TFA for bp it would have been highest rated in 8 years.
TFA was a great movie that did what it set out to do, but for some reason I wouldn't consider it "Best Picture material."

Phenomenal casting aside.

Patryn

As long as what the academy nominates and what the public watches are completely different, this will happen.

The boycott probably didn't help matters.

Spotlight may have been a great film, but of the Best Picture nominees, I bet that in ten years people will only remember Mad Max and possibly The Martian. Note this is not me saying that they necessarily deserved to win, just that the Oscars may not necessarily be as populist an award show as some think/hope they are.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I watched the first 30 mins, then switched to walking/talking dead, then went back for the last 30 minutes (which lasted an hour :/).

I'm surprised people sit through these entire things. If you don't watch walking dead live you're FUCKED for spoilers.

No?

Skux

People are getting jaded, and rightfully so. I can't think of a more wretched experience than watching rich, privileged white people fawn over each other.

The only thing I watched later were clips of Chris Rock presenting it. I'm glad he let the elephant in the room loose and make everyone feel awkward for being there.

No other than stream it on the Internet

Twitch Watches the Oscars would single handedly bring me back. It'd be worth it for the BibleThump spam after Leo's win.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a 4 hour long slog that as glitzy and full of celebrities as it is, is not very entertaining outside of a few bits that will be played out on the news the next morning or YouTube and twitter the night of.

Even getting a host that is scathing in their jokes and has hilarious bits isn't even enough these days. They have had tons of hosts who rip into celebs so it's not new or titillating anymore,in fact its a bit played out at this point.

Even if there is some sort huge controversial moment its something the majority of people won't see during the actual show but after the fact.

nilbog21

Banned
I have an Xfonity and time warner cable account and could not stream it online LOL

Only like 5 cities could stream it, it's absurd. Enjoy going under ABC

Algebrah

I am not really surprised. I lost interest in the Oscars the moment I realized it's giant self-congratulatory trophy fest for Hollywood actors and directors producing Oscar bait.

http://youtu.be/kX50REHezPY

Personally, I vastly prefer a snarky, ironic video talking about the nominees than actually watching the Oscars. Didn't even tune in to the Oscars.

I dunno. I visited Hollywood, guess what? It's a chintzy tourist trap. You quickly realize these awards were just ways for actors and execs to feel good about themselves. Then sell you some crappy movie poster.

wachie

It was one of the best Oscars in a long time.

Stallone didn't win.
Mad Max won the most.
J Law didn't win.
Leo finally won.
Spotlight won.

In 1989, as I watched Rob Lowe sing a duet with Snow White, I thought to myself, "Am I really going to watch four hours of this shit?" and turned it off and haven't watched one since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom