• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge] Spencer says "every time we ship a game on PlayStation... Sony captures 30 percent of the revenue ... to try to reduce Xbox's survival ..."

acm2000

please god someone make a court case thread and keep it up to date so we dont get a separate thread for EVERY SINGLE THING

The real face of these execs is finally being shown. Phil's act of everyone being one happy family, not being in a console war, etc never sat right with me but even I started to believe him because he kept the act up so well.

My main issue with Phil isn't this hypocrisy tho. My issue is his poor decision making and constant lying. Don't get me wrong i don't like Jim Ryan either.

I have a particular bone to pick with Phil tho cause of how many promises he's breaking in terms of Series X. If you're a Series X owner who doesn't care about GamePass like myself, it's been a rough gen and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It feels like we're being betrayed as he pivots towards all things GamePass and PC.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
youre-a-victim-supahotfire.gif

darrylgorn

Guys.

We really need a subforum for all of the CEO tantrums we're getting every day.

Just nothing but whiny, baby shit about how the competition is going to come to their house and eat their family.

Last edited:

Rayderism

MS gaming division is really getting desperate, aren't they? Wah! No one's buying our system. Wah! It's all Sony's fault that we aren't releasing many games that people actually want. Wah! And if we do finally release a game, and we put on the rival platform, they get 30% (...like any other game generates on any console storefront...) Wah!

It just sounds like a spoiled little rich kid having a tantrum that everything is not fair and not their fault and pointing fingers at someone else. Wah!

Deanington

He was just stating why they don't ship more games on Playstation, but of course everyone is taking it as some stupid gotcha thing.

Some peoples reaction to this whole thing in general, I would not be surprised if some of the comments are paid shills. Its pretty incredible the passion that gets displayed over this shit. The selling on who is right and wrong to the readers is crazy. Its not that deep in the grand scheme of things.

Mr.Phoenix

WTF?

I mean at this point they are just saying whatever the fuck they want... isn't that the very foundation of the gaming business? Taking a 30% cut (royalties) off all software sold on your platform? Isn't that the very thing MS does with every third-party publisher on their platform?

like what the actual fuck...

Phil's just demonstrating why they shouldn't be the market leader this whole victimhood complex is quite sad these guys literally blame Sony for their failure. If the FTC doesn't have enough evidence that Microsoft doesn't want Sony to exist then what else do they need, that Matt Booty email is super relevant now, these guys can't wait to foreclose on Sony and they have enough money to fail another 20-30 years in order to do it. Man I wish Xbox was owned by a completely different company because I love the hardware but starting to hate the company I really don't understand how people can't see through the PR it's super obvious they want to control how the game industry operates I mean imagine having the gall to tell another company how they should be using the profits they received from doing business within that space but your company use profits from different divisions within the company to buyout the whole industry I mean wtf is going on here this sh%! is weird and it's crazy that the "games" media isn't calling it out. If Jim Ryan complained that Microsoft was using profits from COD or any 3rd party games to buy gamepass day 1 AAA and exclusives games he would get lambasted by the media something really strange is going on if they actually support this argument they seem to buy anything Phil says 🤔....

Corndog

Banned
How many actual Microsoft Game Studios games have shipped on PlayStation, Phil?

I'm not counting Deathloop or Ghostwire Tokyo.
Or, hell, you know what, I'll even count those despite them being in a gray area around the Zenimax acquisition.

Let's see... Minecraft and its spinoffs, and, uh...Psychonauts 2?

Not many other MGS games going to PlayStation that I can see, certainly not enough where the 30% industry standard profit would be enough for Sony to generate enough revenue to "block" Microsoft. As opposed to Microsoft who, upon the mere speculation that Starfield might be console or timed exclusive, spent 7 billion dollars to buy the entire fuggin' company.
You forgot the two Bethesda games. They were already contracted though.
Edit: either I misread or you edited. Ignore my post.

Last edited:

Three

I'm not a lawyer so somebody more knowledgeable please let me know why the FTC lawyers didn't push them at all on these things and were asking questions that the judge was getting frustrated with.

Are questions like this considered argumentative or aggressive?

would you not get 70%?
How do competitor's storefronts threaten xbox's survival by getting 30%?
Do you participate in that practice?
Would you consider permanent removal of content from your competitors a threat to their survival?

Top Bottom