• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge] Spencer says "every time we ship a game on PlayStation... Sony captures 30 percent of the revenue ... to try to reduce Xbox's survival ..."

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Might as well drop all the PR friendly bullshit and state what they really do think about their gaming business and their various relations with their competitors.
And thats what people dont get it.. is not what they do...do whatever fuck they want, the controlling agencies will judge them. But for fuck sake start being honest, treating everybody as dumb stupid ignorant fanboys is insulting and melts any goodwill.

Last edited:

Hawke502

I think people are commenting in this thread withour realizint this is about the FTC hearing. Phil didn't just say this out of nowhere, guys.

TheTony316

We need a dedicated "Phil Spencer says" thread. I know this is from the FTC hearing but still.

And doesn't Microsoft get a cut from MLB?

This sounds out of context. This makes sense as an answer to the question why aren’t redfall and starfield coming to playstation? He’s saying that in addition to the percentage cut they lose out on, they’re actually supporting their competitor. I doubt Phil was simply complaining they don’t get to have all the money. Whatever, more console war fuel.

Liamario

Banned
This sounds out of context. This makes sense as an answer to the question why aren’t redfall and starfield coming to playstation? He’s saying that in addition to the percentage cut they lose out on, they’re actually supporting their competitor. I doubt Phil was simply complaining they don’t get to have all the money. Whatever, more console war fuel.
You're possibly right, but even that scenario contradicts a lot of the stuff he spews in the media.

StueyDuck

We've really reached the point of just explaining how business works?

Ol Sweeney losing his mind I'm the background hearing that 🤣

Helghan

He isn't wrong, but this goes both ways. Obviously I wouldn't say this too, if this wasn't asked.

Last edited:

Fbh

Jim Ryan :Takes an industry standard cut from third party products on his platform

Phil:
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I thought Jim Ryan was bad with his generations speech but Phil speaks utter bullshit all the time. Usually lying or double speak or both.
What was bad in the generations speech here:

?

Portugeezer

Possibly one of the worst arguments I've heard.

This is what they bring to combat the FTC? Xbox must feel confident it will go through.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase games for the PS5 system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's PC games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel this 30% or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I mean, it's true, but it is the reality of competition in this market segment.
Sony is trying to do away with Xbox and to make their console far more attractive than the xbox is, with the end goal of getting people not to buy an xbox, and to buy a PS.
Microsoft needs to accept that's the reality, Sony don't play nice, and so repay Sony is kind.

A aggressive Sony and an aggressive MS, both pushing to give their console owners the best possible games line up is what we should all want.
Neither Sony nor MS are going anywhere, so have at it boys.

I dont understand the logic. If you got 70m while your competition gets 30m, how are you bitching about what they do with that 30m. You have 70m.

If I was offered 70m on the caveat the person I hated most got 30m. I give no shits as I have 70m.
It's a very cleverly worded answer, it gives the perception of being weaker or worse off. Microsoft are the powerhouse here but Phil is trying (I'm not sure he'll succeed) to paint them as the underdog. Looks like the FTC have lost anyway so maybe it did work.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's a very cleverly worded answer, it gives the perception of being weaker or worse off. Microsoft are the powerhouse here but Phil is trying (I'm not sure he'll succeed) to paint them as the underdog. Looks like the FTC have lost anyway so maybe it did work.
I understand the rationale for the bullshit but I think it's a stupid point to argue.

Microsoft positioning itself as being the plucky underdog is some laugh.

KaiserBecks

MLB is on Xbox. Marathon is coming to Xbox. I don’t see Spencer putting qualifiers on his statement so you sure you understand the meaning?
Those games are on Xbox, because Sony had no choice. MLB had to be multiplat because of the license and Bungie only joined Sony under the condition that their games are multiplat.
The underlying meaning of Phil's statement is that voluntarily "sharing" your games with the competition will partially weaken you, because the competition is not willing to do the same.
Personally I disagree, but it's not that hard to understand where he's coming from. Then again, some people just don't want to understand because it wouldn't fit their point of view.

winjer

Gold Member
MS also charges a 30% cut on their Store. So what is the problem?
Does MS think their are the only ones that can charge a cut to other companies?

Those games are on Xbox, because Sony had no choice. MLB had to be multiplat because of the license and Bungie only joined Sony under the condition that their games are multiplat.
The underlying meaning of Phil's statement is that voluntarily "sharing" your games with the competition will partially weaken you, because the competition is not willing to do the same.
Personally I disagree, but it's not that hard to understand where he's coming from. Then again, some people just don't want to understand because it wouldn't fit their point of view.
So which games has MS put on PlayStation voluntarily?

Valkyria

Banned

Sony's buys Bungie the conditions of games still being multiplatform, but for some reason it's because Sony is forced, right.
And you are the one calling other to don't understand to fit narratives. You could fit on Xbox division just right it seems.

Helghan

Sony's buys Bungie the conditions of games still being multiplatform, but for some reason it's because Sony is forced, right.
And you are the one calling other to don't understand to fit narratives. You could fit on Xbox division just right it seems.
I'm pretty sure that if that 70-30 split wasn't there, Microsoft would release more games on Playstation. For the same reason they don't keep that many exclusives from PC. And that's probably the point Phil Spencer was making.

He's aware they also have that cost, but this is purely about releasing their games on the Sony platform. Do you think Sony would release games on PC, if for some reason Microsoft would get a 30% cut?

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
I'm pretty sure that if that 70-30 split wasn't there, Microsoft would release more games on Playstation. For the same reason they don't keep that many exclusives from PC. And that's probably the point Phil Spencer was making.

He's aware they also have that cost, but this is purely about releasing their games on the Sony platform. Do you think Sony would release games on PC, if for some reason Microsoft would get a 30% cut?
What about Valve's cut? Last time I checked Sony doesn't run their own front store, contrary to what microsoft does (better said tried).

Helghan

What about Valve's cut? Last time I checked Sony doesn't run their own front store, contrary to what microsoft does (better said tried).
Good question, you should work for the FTC. Would be a great follow up question for Phil Spencer. I have no idea what his response would be.

Maybe because Steam is too big? Or like you said, because their own front store didn't work?

Three

Surely you see how stupid this sounds considering they release their games in a store that gets 30% from them.
Sony have their games on xbox where MS get a 30% cut already. They even have their games published by others where they don't get 70% but MS gets a 30% cut.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

So which games has MS put on PlayStation voluntarily?
They haven't and they don't want to. Hence the argument.
It's more than obvious that they bought Bungie because of their GAAS expertise. I own and enjoy both consoles and said that I disagree with Phil on this one. Take a look in the mirror.

OP just posted it without giving any contexts

I wonder are some of the FTC lawyers are gaf members? Lol. I find lot of similarities between some gaf members and ftc lawyers lol

This has been the weirdest part of the two hearings, the FTC lawyers (or maybe yesterday was a lawyer and the first hearing was Khan? They seem so lost and ignorant of video games and the market.

But at one point yesterday, Phil had to explain how mergers work and how acquiring a large asset isn’t really “spending money” so much as it is transferring assets. Like it’s one thing for one of our anti-acquisition armchair analysts here to say “well MS should just spend that 70B to develop 200 games!”. It’s another for a fucking FTC lawyer to say it 😆

Top Bottom