• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 3 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Banned
Actually many people use these threads to decide which version to get. So it is appropriate to discuss if there isn’t a big enough difference for them to choose the best performing version.

Like my choice boils down to the controller because there isn’t a massive difference between the two versions. If there was I would buy a Series X and the Dualsense wouldn’t even be a factor. But that didn’t happen.

if you play on a VRR screen there is a big difference. I instantly noticed the framedrops on PS5 but didn't really on Xbox because on Xbox the game stays in the VRR range way more comfortably, one PS5 it doesn't at all.
this is even more true if your TV is set to 120hz and you make use of low framerate compensation.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Actually many people use these threads to decide which version to get. So it is appropriate to discuss if there isn’t a big enough difference for them to choose the best performing version.

Like my choice boils down to the controller because there isn’t a massive difference between the two versions. If there was I would buy a Series X and the Dualsense wouldn’t even be a factor. But that didn’t happen.

If the video compared controllers then that would be so, but it doesn't.

Discussing controller preference is off topic even if you cant admit it.

yamaci17

honestly tflops are not completely honest metrics. i always give this crucial example: gtx 1080 is 8.8 tflops and gtx 1060 is 4.4 tflops, whereas the average performance between them are %67. in some VEEERY rare cases, gtx 1080 ups the 1060 by %75-80, and in some more frequent cases, the difference can be as low as %55-60. this is not a joke, benchmarks, theoritical values are all up there. sometimes its hard to feed all the compute power you have, it can be memory bottlenecked, it can be bus bottlenecked, it can be anything. sometimes the game's GPU load is simply cannot saturate compute shaders, and from what I'm observing on PC space, this is a frequent occurence. no reason why it shouldn't happen with xbox sx and ps5.

avg. difference between 6700xt and 6600xt is usually %15-20. sometimes it is %30. sometimes it is low as %7-9 . theoritically 6700xt has %30t flops, but that does not seem to correlate to actual performance consistently. only if you load the game very heavily in terms of compute load, then the 6700xt truly shines over 6600xt.

at least 6600xt and 6700xt have one thing in common: high clock speeds.

that's why i honestly think that this stuff won't change, and will keep happening exactly like this.

in the case of xbox one x, one x had higher clocks and more compute units, naturally in some games it destroyed the ps4 pro.

this is exactly like the case of CPUs. you can have a 4 ghz 8/16 CPU that scores 10000 points in a benchmark, and a 5 GHz 6/12 CPU that scores 8000 points in the same benchmark. 5 ghz cpu will consistently beat the 4 ghz cpu by %20 unless the game perfectly manages to scale across all those cores and threads.

this is a similar case

If the video compared controllers then that would be so, but it doesn't.

Discussing controller preference is off topic even if you cant admit it.

Well you can’t admit that the performance difference can lead to someone choosing a version based off the controller. That’s why it’s being brought here because the performance difference isn’t enough for some to not play the game with the Dualsense. So it really isn’t off topic since the discussion of VGs performance findings is involved.

Sosokrates

Well you can’t admit that the performance difference can lead to someone choosing a version based off the controller. That’s why it’s being brought here because the performance difference isn’t enough for some to not play the game with the Dualsense. So it really isn’t off topic since the discussion of VGs performance findings is involved.

This folks is a perfect example of whataboutism.

I haven't stated my opinion on that question, you know why? Because it has nothing to do with this comparison.

It being brought up in hear because some people are salty that there platform of choice has worse performance so they are bringing up other things to try and diminish the better performance on XSX.

This folks is a perfect example of whataboutism.

I haven't stated my opinion on that question, you know why? Because it has nothing to do with this comparison.

It being brought up in hear because some people are salty that there platform of choice has worse performance so they are bringing up other things to try and diminish the better performance on XSX.

Actually I think your just imagining things. I’m not saying the Series X version doesn’t have a performance advantage it’s just not enough for me to pick that version over the PS5. Even if I had both systems the Dualsense has some nice features that i want which makes up for the small performance deficit.

Maybe just accept when it comes to comparisons some other things may factor into why some want one version over the other. I know some people will choose one version due to achievements or trophy’s. Nothing wrong with that.

Also to make you feel better I’m not saying there isn’t a performance difference. I’m just saying there’s not a massive one here.

Sosokrates

Actually I think your just imagining things. I’m not saying the Series X version doesn’t have a performance advantage it’s just not enough for me to pick that version over the PS5. Even if I had both systems the Dualsense has some nice features that i want which makes up for the small performance deficit.

Maybe just accept when it comes to comparisons some other things may factor into why some want one version over the other. I know some people will choose one version due to achievements or trophy’s. Nothing wrong with that.

Also to make you feel better I’m not saying there isn’t a performance difference. I’m just saying there’s not a massive one here.
Ok? Who cares this is a thread about performance comparison, its bot about which platform you prefer for whatever reason, its off topic, its a fact.

You need to accept that you are bringing up subjects which are offtopic, even if they are true.

Its like coming in the DF analysis thread and saying the game aint fun.

And ive already said the performance is pretty ok on all platforms.

However somone saying they prefer the xsx over the ps5 because of the slight fps gains is a valid and on topic thing to say in this thread, but saying you prefer a version because of controller is nothing to do with this thread.
It would be the same if someone brought up quick resume in a performance comparison thread where the ps5 was showing the advantage.

But we clearly dont agree so if you want to continue this conversation please private message me instead

Ok? Who cares this is a thread about performance comparison, its bot about which platform you prefer for whatever reason, its off topic, its a fact.

You need to accept that you are bringing up subjects which are offtopic, even if they are true.

Its like coming in the DF analysis thread and saying the game aint fun.

And ive already said the performance is pretty ok on all platforms.

However somone saying they prefer the xsx over the ps5 because of the slight fps gains is a valid and on topic thing to say in this thread, but saying you prefer a version because of controller is nothing to do with this thread.
It would be the same if someone brought up quick resume in a performance comparison thread where the ps5 was showing the advantage.

But we clearly dont agree so if you want to continue this conversation please private message me instead

There’s no need to get mad over this. I think it’s perfectly valid for people to discuss which version they prefer in this thread. Many times people use the graphical differences or performance differences to make that choice. But sometimes they are not enough for someone to choose one version over the other and that’s ok. Just like it’s fine if someone thinks these performance differences are massive and they want one version over the other.

Anyways I’m sorry that I upset you which wasn’t my intention. Just wanted to have a good talk that’s all.

If you feel I was console warring or being disrespectful please feel free to report me.

Edit: Reading over my previous comment I do come off as a bit of a jerk. I’m sorry about that.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

There’s no need to get mad over this. I think it’s perfectly valid for people to discuss which version they prefer in this thread. Many times people use the graphical differences or performance differences to make that choice. But sometimes they are not enough for someone to choose one version over the other and that’s ok. Just like it’s fine if someone thinks these performance differences are massive and they want one version over the other.

Anyways I’m sorry that I upset you which wasn’t my intention. Just wanted to have a good talk that’s all.

If you feel I was console warring or being disrespectful please feel free to report me.
Im not getting mad lol.

But regardless of what you say its off topic discussion and has nothing to do with what the thread is about, im sorry but this is just a fact.

Last edited:
Im not getting mad lol.

But regarding of what you say its off topic discussion and has nothing to do with what the thread is about, im sorry but this is just a fact.

I mean this is a comparison thread. People are going to use it to determine which version to get. The differences are pretty minor here with the XSX having the edge. Though if I had both consoles I would still go with the PS5 because of the Dualsense. If VGs revealed 60FPS on the Series X and 30FPs on the PS5 I wouldn’t care about the controller at that point. My choice would be the Series X version due to the huge performance advantage it would have over the PS5.

Plus if every game was like that I would only have a PS5 for exclusives and a Series X for everything else. That’s what I use these comparisons for.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Sosokrates

I mean this is a comparison thread. People are going to use it to determine which version to get. The differences are pretty minor here with the XSX having the edge. Though if I had both consoles I would still go with the PS5 because of the Dualsense. If VGs revealed 60FPS on the Series X and 30FPs on the PS5 I wouldn’t care about the controller at that point. My choice would be the Series X version due to the huge performance advantage it would have over the PS5.

Plus if every game was like that I would only have a PS5 for exclusives and a Series X for everything else. That’s what I use these comparisons for.

Not the thread for this, this is a performance comparison thread not a thread to discuss prefered platform choice for whatever reason.

Not the thread for this, this is a performance comparison thread not a thread to discuss prefered platform choice for whatever reason.

People do it all the time in these threads. Why we choose one version over the other is part of the discussion. According to the performance comparison differences seem minimal to me so they are not really a factor in which version I would get. If I wanted something vastly better I would get the PC version.

I know this isn’t the same for everyone and I respect that.

Sosokrates

People do it all the time in these threads. Why we choose one version over the other is part of the discussion. According to the performance comparison differences seem minimal to me so they are not really a factor in which version I would get. If I wanted something vastly better I would get the PC version.

I know this isn’t the same for everyone and I respect that.

Yeah they do it because there platform of choice is showing inferior performance. Riky has been gangraped for mentioning VRR in these threads.

2022 and the xbox seems to be finally over the teething issues it had at launch. Showing ever so slight performance over the ps5 in a number of games this year.

Saying that, they are so close games are great everywhere.

Looking forward to more re engine games. Its a beast of an engine.
You think ? The game runs about 8% faster on XSX vs PS5 in this game. It's a win, but very small.

But there are still others recent games with a lead on PS5. For instance Wreckfest, about 20% better performance on PS5 in similar scenes according to DF (~50fps vs 60fps).

The biggest recent release? Elden Ring with again a ~20% performance advantage (res + fps) on PS5 in some scenes.

I'd say things didn't improve for Xbox at all this year.

Zathalus

You think ? The game runs about 8% faster on XSX vs PS5 in this game. It's a win, but very small.

But there are still others recent games with a lead on PS5. For instance Wreckfest, about 20% better performance on PS5 in similar scenes according to DF (~50fps vs 60fps).

The biggest recent release? Elden Ring with again a ~20% performance advantage (res + fps) on PS5 in some scenes.

Wreckfest is not a native game on Xbox Series X, so any comparison using that would be flawed.

Yeah they do it because there platform of choice is showing inferior performance. Riky has been gangraped for mentioning VRR in these threads.

I never said the PS5 won this comparison. I’m just saying the Series X win is so small doesn’t affect me. If it was a Pro Vs One X situation things would be different. Anyways each console has some nice features besides just their hardware. Controller and software experience can factor in the version that someone gets. I’m not offended by that.

Sosokrates

I never said the PS5 won this comparison. I’m just saying the Series X win is so small doesn’t affect me. If it was a Pro Vs One X situation things would be different. Anyways each console has some nice features besides just their hardware. Controller and software experience can factor in the version that someone gets. I’m not offended by that.
Yeah i agree the difference is a non issue for me, but I still think talking about none performance and visual matters in this thread is something nothing to do with this thread.

Yeah i agree the difference is a non issue for me, but I still think talking about none performance and visual matters in this thread is something nothing to do with this thread.

I wasn’t saying it to attack you or anything. Just stated my opinion based of VGs finding and then stated why I would choose the PS5 version despite the Series performance advantage. I wasn’t tryin to bait you with this if that’s what you believe.

Sosokrates

I wasn’t saying it to attack you or anything. Just stated my opinion based of VGs finding and then stated why I would choose the PS5 version despite the Series performance advantage. I wasn’t tryin to bait you with this if that’s what you believe.
As ive already said, its not relevant to this thread, you prefer the ps5 version because of DS...great! Its just not relevant to this thread.

DaGwaphics

The thing is, if the change in code is extensive enough to take "full advantage of the new hardware" like the developer claims be it via XDK or GDK, the argument of 'XSX performing worse than PS5 becaus it being BC+' no longer stands... Because right now XSX version is technically inferior (it drops as low as 49 FPS with constant dips to 50's while PS5 remains locked at same resolution/settings).

The game is basically limited to 12TF GCN in BC mode, an enhancement over 1X to be sure, but about 25% or so short of running in native mode (from the percentages released from AMD). PS5 and XSX just aren't comparable on that particular title. Not sure why the dev chose to go that route, maybe it was something to do with the skus and wanting to do a free upgrade. 🤷‍♂️

As ive already said, its not relevant to this thread, you prefer the ps5 version because of DS...great! Its just not relevant to this thread.

Well you can always report me so the mods can delete my posts and ban me. That’s always an option for you.

Anyways I’m happy you agree that it isn’t wrong to go with controller features.

Sosokrates

Well you can always report me so the mods can delete my posts and ban me. That’s always an option for you.

Anyways I’m happy you agree that it isn’t wrong to go with controller features.
I never thought it was wrong, just dont know why your talking about it on a thread about performance.

Like ive already said its like going into a graphics thread and talking about gameplay.

Last edited:
I never thought it was wrong, just dont know why your talking about it on a thread about performance.

Like ive already said its like going into a graphics thread and talking about gameplay.

There’s not a lot of threads for me to have this discussion. Threads where people choose the version they want based off important factors like performance seems appropriate to me. Also it’s not like I’m discussing whether or not a game is bad in this thread. I’m just discussing whether or not performance is the defining factor in the version that I choose and if not I state why.

Like I said I don’t mean to offend anyone with this and I’m not trying to censor you here. I’m fine with you having an opinion and discussing it with us.

Sosokrates

There’s not a lot of threads for me to have this discussion. Threads where people choose the version they want based off important factors like performance seems appropriate to me. Also it’s not like I’m discussing whether or not a game is bad in this thread. I’m just discussing whether or not performance is the defining factor in the version that I choose and if not I state why.

Like I said I don’t mean to offend anyone with this and I’m not trying to censor you here. I’m fine with you having an opinion and discussing it with us.
Yeah there is. The OT or ps5 ot.

This is a thread about a performance comparison. Not about other reasons why you may choose a particular platform, I dont know why your finding this so hard to understand.

Controller preference is not performance
Os preference is not performance!

PHJXBCj.gif

Topher

Gold Member

To be fair, I made the point that in cases like these the differences were so minor that people could comfortably look to other rationale for choosing which platform such as trophy hunting, game pass, etc. MasterCornholio MasterCornholio replied saying for him it would be DualSense.

Yep. Vast majority of the games this gen have been so close that I wouldn't think twice about playing the games on either system as far as visuals/performance goes. I can focus on other aspects in deciding. Do I want to Platinum the game? Is it on Game Pass? Etc.

Sosokrates

To be fair, I made the point that in cases like these the differences were so minor that people could comfortably look to other rationale for choosing which platform such as trophy hunting, game pass, etc. MasterCornholio MasterCornholio replied saying for him it would be DualSense.
And thats fine, but it has no relevance in a performance thread regardless if its about gameplay, controller, os, box color, ceo attractiveness etc

Yeah there is. The OT or ps5 ot.

This is a thread about a performance comparison. Not about other reasons why you may choose a particular platform, I dont know why your finding this so hard to understand.

Controller preference is not performance
Os preference is not performance!

PHJXBCj.gif

That’s fine I will report myself to the mods so they can deal with me being off topic. If they delete my posts I’ll take it as a sign to not do this in the future.

Mod of War Mod of War i hate to bother you but could you please look at the conversation I had with Sosokrates Sosokrates ? He says that I was being off topic and derailed the thread badly. If that’s true I would like you to posts if you deem they are inappropriate. I’ll take this as a sign to not do this in the future.

Thank you for your time.

And no one is forced to engage in that side conversation. You want to stay strictly on topic then feel free.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

I already asked a mod to look at this and to determine whether its appropriate or not. I’ll take his action as indication of what I can say in these types of threads.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

They are not. They’re going to use it to wage war over the smallest insignificant differences as they’ve been doing for the past year.

Sosokrates

And no one is forced to engage in that side conversation. You want to stay strictly on topic then feel free.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Well you felt compelled to say this to me....
As I felt it was appropriate to reply to cornholio, but bare in mind he did quote me first about this.

Sosokrates

That’s fine I will report myself to the mods so they can deal with me being off topic. If they delete my posts I’ll take it as a sign to not do this in the future.

Mod of War Mod of War i hate to bother you but could you please look at the conversation I had with Sosokrates Sosokrates ? He says that I was being off topic and derailed the thread badly. If that’s true I would like you to posts if you deem they are inappropriate. I’ll take this as a sign to not do this in the future.

Thank you for your time.

I already asked a mod to look at this and to determine whether its appropriate or not. I’ll take his action as indication of what I can say in these types of threads.

I never said you derailed the thread badly. Ive only said that discussing things besides performance is not relevant to this discussion, because it isnt.

One and a half years of looking into crossgen titles and even games running in backwards compatibility trying to find some sort of affirmation for wild theories created when people jumped to conclusions over spec sheets. Digital Foundry should've closed shop with how boring these comparisons have been.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Wreckfest is still a Durango gen game so not relevant, Elden Ring has been patched and performance improved on Series Consoles, DF have been over this.

RobRSG

The thing is, if the change in code is extensive enough to take "full advantage of the new hardware" like the developer claims be it via XDK or GDK, the argument of 'XSX performing worse than PS5 becaus it being BC+' no longer stands... Because right now XSX version is technically inferior (it drops as low as 49 FPS with constant dips to 50's while PS5 remains locked at same resolution/settings).
I saw the video, and there is no parity.

Meaning BC+ in Wreckfest can’t match the native PS5 port. So the BC+ argument stands strong.

I think the dev should be held accountable for it, specially when lying about the XSX “100% native” statement. They saved money for staying on BC+, fair point. But lying to the customer is not good.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Dude- you are not the thread police. Don’t respond if the post is off-topic and it bothers you that much.

It doesn't bother me, its just the truth and I will say so if people try and suggest otherwise.

Why dont you say the same to mastercornholio, afterall he was the one who originally quoted me.

Last edited:
I never said you derailed the thread badly. Ive only said that discussing things besides performance is not relevant to this discussion, because it isnt.

That’s fine which is why I asked for feedback from the mods. If it isn’t appropriate they will let me know. I don’t want this to continue into other comparison threads which is why I’m asking for their advice.

assurdum

Banned
You want to give up threads like this for a stable frame rate? Are you even a gamer?
I don't follow you. I find incredibly stupid use 4k CBR with RT with such perfomance on console I literally don't understand why capcom didn't opted yet for lower resolution and still persist in this way.

assurdum

Banned
if you play on a VRR screen there is a big difference. I instantly noticed the framedrops on PS5 but didn't really on Xbox because on Xbox the game stays in the VRR range way more comfortably, one PS5 it doesn't at all.
this is even more true if your TV is set to 120hz and you make use of low framerate compensation.
Again no VRR doesn't fix drops below 48 fps whatever it's his range. Series X can trick it forcing 120hz but this not because "VRR" has wider range but because XSX can force 120hz in all games in a system level which has nothing to do with normal VRR.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Yes I think guidance from people who run this site would be best. They would know better then anyone if it’s allowed here and could be useful for future reference.
But just to make sure, I never said you cant post what u want, i did not try and armchair mod, I simply stated my opinion that performance threads should be about performance discussion.

Top Bottom