• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 3 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That is strange, I believe that Re:Engine worked worse on X1X? Or even on RE: 8 for that matter....

All the RE engine Resident Evil games, including RE Village, have ran better on SX compared to PS5 by a little margin.

Village's non RT mode is locked 100% on both and the RT mode performs a bit better on Xbox, via VG Tech:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Series X
Mean Frame Rate57.35fps58.73fps
Median Frame Rate59fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate42fps48fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate51fps54fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate48fps50fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms22676 (95.39%)23815 (97.83%)
33.33ms1094 (4.6%)528 (2.17%)
50ms1 (0%)0 (0%)
66.67ms1 (0%)0 (0%)

Last edited:
All the RE engine Resident Evil games, including RE Village, have ran better on SX compared to PS5 by a little margin.

Village's non RT mode is locked 100% on both and the RT mode performs a bit better on Xbox, via VG Tech:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Series X
Mean Frame Rate57.35fps58.73fps
Median Frame Rate59fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate42fps48fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate51fps54fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate48fps50fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms22676 (95.39%)23815 (97.83%)
33.33ms1094 (4.6%)528 (2.17%)
50ms1 (0%)0 (0%)
66.67ms1 (0%)0 (0%)

I guess one thing that really impresses me is how well the game scales between all three platforms. It doesn’t seem like any platform is getting screwed here with bad tools or poor optimizations. Although it would be nice if the RT modes were a little better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
RT Mode:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Series XSeries S
Mean Frame Rate52.9fps54.73fps50.66fps
Median Frame Rate53fps57fps51fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate34fps37fps33fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate42fps43fps39fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate40fps40fps36fps

Non RT mode

100% locked 60 FPS on all 3.

Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30303 (100%)30303 (100%)30303 (100%)

High frame rate mode:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Series XSeries S
Mean Frame Rate103.61fps107.74fps100.32fps
Median Frame Rate105fps110fps99fps
Maximum Frame Rate120fps120fps120fps
Minimum Frame Rate76fps82fps68fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate85fps88fps81fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate80fps84fps74fps
Frame Time Counts
8.33ms44059 (84.19%)48230 (88.63%)40726 (80.38%)
16.67ms8271 (15.8%)6189 (11.37%)9941 (19.62%)
25ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
33.33ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
Series X winning lots of vs. threads lately.

As for the 120 fps mode, looks like no system is even close to 120.

Swift_Star

Banned
Ok, but that's just meaningless console warrior rhetoric. You know that, right?
He did it again, did he?
Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

adamsapple

I just look at 120fps modes as being equal to "We are going to try and get the fps as high as we can, please have VRR". Overall the results in the high FPS mode look good here. A nice bonus for those with the displays.

I'll echo what I've said in the previous threads, but I just can't go back to the broken SSR these RE engine remakes have. RT reflections are not the highest quality but they fix the SSR issue entirely and the added GI is, again subtle but an improvement nonetheless.

RT mode on a VRR display is my preferred way to play these newly patched games.

RobRSG

The trend is that whenever the other performs better, pleople are in shock. There is always a plot from the “incompetent devs” or something must be wrong with the game or engine.

I said before and I will repeat here: This generation is probably the lowest point for a console warrior “career”. There’s nothing relevant aside from a minimal difference in percentages that nobody will fucking notice during gameplay.

Everyone should be happy if the consoles are that close. But people are people, and Playshills and Xbots will always fight for their plastic boxes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The trend is that whenever the other performs better, pleople are in shock. There is always a plot from the “incompetent devs” or something must be wrong with the game or engine.

I said before and I will repeat here: This generation is probably the lowest point for a console warrior “career”. There’s nothing relevant aside from a minimal difference in percentages that nobody will fucking notice during gameplay.

Everyone should be happy if the consoles are that close. But people are people, and Playshills and Xbots will always fight for their plastic boxes.
You can always single out the warriors too.

If they are clever enough to not get banned, you'll notice they barely post if there's no console warrior articles to go on. Without warrior threads, they have little interest posting in other gaming threads, or the Communities and OT tabs, so they disappear.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your last 13 posts in your post history are in this vs. thread.
and (nice that your conveniently stopped counting posts there… no other posts in months eh ;))? You entered this thread for warring and then went immediately on accusing and policing others so 🤷‍♂️. Fill your boots digging through my post history, it is kept public for a reason. Not sure why others must explain themselves to you and your theories on posting, but seems like throwing stones in glass houses by this very thread no post history needed.
Maybe just maybe people are busy and they post more rarely and likely on hot topic items because they are near the top more often or because they notice something they want to stop and reply to, but no… they are just here to war in console war topics and surely these people are in ALL such threads and a detective just unmasked this wide conspiracy…

Last edited:

Fredrik

Exactly. And if the performance was the same they would fight over loading times, and if that was the same they would fight over rumblestick placementsfan noiseconsole designservice differencesconsole sales … Etc.

Instead they could just say:
- I prefer this console.
And the other one could say:
- Okay. I prefer this one.

And that should end the conversation because everybody should know that nobody is going to change anybodys mind from what someone says.

Or they could say nothing at all and just go back to play on their preferred console and be happy.

— personal crap below —

A couple weeks ago I signed up for PS+ Premium, that has helped me work on my own preference issues a lot. Now I have XSX and PS5 and prepaid subscriptions for both Gamepass and PS+ Premium til 2024 for $5/month on both services. Gaming bliss. Highly recommended. The platforms are nearly identical.

Lysandros

It is performing better in several head to head, yet in many cases only marginally so unlike the pre-consoles launches predictions, but you call warriors out in one post and in the other you look at marginal differences and focus on ”the wins” as if they were surprising… :rolleyes:.
Indeed in last comparisons based on Capcom's RE engine XSX seem to be ahead by 2-4% in some modes just like DMC in the beginning of the generation. It's pretty clear that this engine performs ever so slightly better on XSX architecture. Yet PS5 continues to outperform XSX in some games.

Before someone brings up the BC+ argument the developer stated that this is a 100% native version.

Darsxx82

Indeed in last comparisons based on Capcom's RE engine XSX seem to be ahead by 2-4% in some modes just like DMC in the beginning of the generation. It's pretty clear that this engine performs ever so slightly better on XSX architecture. Yet PS5 continues to outperform XSX in some games.

Before someone brings up the BC+ argument the developer stated that this is a 100% native version.

1- Wreckfest is a game whose update was made 1 year and a half ago. It is NOT a comparison of a current release. Simply, with occasion of the Switch version, a comparison has been made that was not made at the time.

2- What the PR of a company says must always be taken with tweezers. And in this case there are reasons to believe that it is not a native version in XSX and rather it is an update of the COD Warfarte type. That reason is that you do not have to reinstall the game on the SSD when moving to the XSX version, simply the improvements are activated with the DLC. If you remove the DLC the game loads with the XBO X version, which already saw a previous improvement to 60fps and 4K.

Last edited:

Banned

it is BC+
you can easily check this in the data info of the game.

it clearly says XDK, Durango and XboxOneGen9Aware

that is clear and 100% proof that it is a backwards compatible game.

also THQ is not the developer of the game, it's the publisher. and the guy running THQ's twitter account is most likely an easily replaceable guy thta has indirect involvement in the company itself and is simply there to run the twitter account and or community related stuff

so what you see in that video is a native PS5 game vs a Backwards Compatible Xbox One game with SX enhancements.
that is no way to compare hardware power, but it's great PR for Microsoft's back compat system that almost can keep up with a native PS5 game 🤷

in backwards compatibility mode the console runs in GCN mode and doesn't have the IPC gains it has when running native code. that is up to a 30% loss in performance maybe slightly more or less

Last edited:

Lysandros

There is a reply tweet pointing that it still shows as XDK and not GDK.

That means BC+ , no matter how the dev spins it. When BC+ is good enough, shouldn’t be a problem anyway.
Couldn't be any other underlying reason for it showing as XDK despite being a native version? I am having difficult time believing that the developer made such a precise statement if this is a blatant lie. Why to risk loss of credibility very much unnecessarily like that?

Banned
Couldn't be any other underlying reason for it showing as XDK despite being a native version? I am having difficult time believing that the developer made such a precise statement if this is a blatant lie. Why to risk loss of credibility very much unnecessarily like that?

no. and the important part is the XboxOneGen9Aware part. that is the 100% proof of a game being backwards compatible Xbox One code with enhancements.

a developer can not change this, this is intrinsic data the console uses to run the game. if there was a mismatch here the game would not even run. it would try starting in GCN back compat mode and crash

Last edited:

adamsapple

no. and the important part is the XboxOneGen9Aware part. that is the 100% proof of a game being backwards compatible Xbox One code with enhancements.

a developer can not change this, this is intrinsic data the console uses to run the game. if there was a mismatch here the game would not even run. it would try starting in GCN back compat mode and crash

Yep, any game that shows gen9aware means its BC PLUS and it will run off of an external HDD as well (not even an SSD required).

Mass Effect Legendary is another example of one of those, despite it being "4K/60". It still doesn't fully leverage the new consoles.

Comparatively these new RE engine Resident Evil patches turn these games into "Gen9" only, i-e they're fully native apps now.

RobRSG

I’m with you in this one, as I also think they should have no business stating something that is not true.

But flipping the coin, why would they say something to impact sales?

In a case that BC+ is good enough that they can slap the improvements into existing code with less work and comparable results why bother in doing GDK code? The problem starts when the version is inferior, and the dev swears that the code is native.

I don’t know what is the debacle with Wreckfest (not my type of game).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2022 and the xbox seems to be finally over the teething issues it had at launch. Showing ever so slight performance over the ps5 in a number of games this year.

Saying that, they are so close games are great everywhere.

Looking forward to more re engine games. Its a beast of an engine.

Lysandros

In a case that BC+ is good enough that they can slap the improvements into existing code with less work and comparable results why bother in doing GDK code? The problem starts when the version is inferior, and the dev swears that the code is native.

I don’t know what is the debacle with Wreckfest (not my type of game).
The thing is, if the change in code is extensive enough to take "full advantage of the new hardware" like the developer claims be it via XDK or GDK, the argument of 'XSX performing worse than PS5 becaus it being BC+' no longer stands... Because right now XSX version is technically inferior (it drops as low as 49 FPS with constant dips to 50's while PS5 remains locked at same resolution/settings).

adamsapple

2022 and the xbox seems to be finally over the teething issues it had at launch. Showing ever so slight performance over the ps5 in a number of games this year.

Saying that, they are so close games are great everywhere.

Looking forward to more re engine games. Its a beast of an engine.

Indeed, the example brought up on this page is a early/mid 2021 game, not even a recent one. The "tools" have finally matured, or rather the GDK has, to avoid the launch period niggles.

John put out this tweet infographic of the comparisons he has done recently.

Xbox was ahead in 8, PS5 in 2, and 5 were draw.

Banned
The thing is, if the change in code is extensive enough to take "full advantage of the new hardware"

it isn't and it can't take full advantage of the hardware in BC mode.

in BC mode the GPU runs in a compatibility mode that basically runs like a GCN GPU, meaning all the IPC gains that RDNA2 brings to the table over GCN will not be there. the IPC difference alone can mean a 30% loss in performance when running in back compat mode.
and RDNA2 specific features will also not be useable.

the CPU also runs with only 8 threads in this mode and not with the 16 threads it has available.

no backwards compatible game will ever be able to run as well as a native version.

Last edited:

yamaci17

it isn't and it can't take full advantage of the hardware in BC mode.

in BC mode the GPU runs in a compatibility mode that basically runs like a GCN GPU, meaning all the IPC gains that RDNA2 brings to the table over GCN will not be there. the IPC difference alone can mean a 30% loss in performance when running in back compat mode.
and RDNA2 specific features will also not be useable.

the CPU also runs with only 8 threads in this mode and not with the 16 threads it has available.

no backwards compatible game will ever be able to run as well as a native version.
16 threads is a moot point, in most cases devs will choose to run their games over raw, 8 physical cores where smt is disabled. even halo infinite runs this way (their dev on GDC said so)

smt is when a core is not fully utilized. devs currently cant even properly utilize 8 full physical threads to their maximum potential, smt on 8 core cpus usually cause a performance drop due to cache being shared over 2 threads.

its just there for the occasional game like doom eternal where it can use all threads as worked threads.

smt is really really useful on 4 core CPUs for games that demand 6+ threads. we can see that on i3 10100f over i3 9100f. its also somewhat useful for 6 core cpus when they're under heavy load.

for 8 core? usually its not needed.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Only minor thing is that the controller is something people do notice, the framerate is something you yourself are admitting not to notice but are happy because you know it is there as others told you it is there.

If someone said that they enjoy knowing the DualSense has some features even though they are not even sure they feel them then yes they would be equally on the console warrior path.

It still leaves me a chuckle as this is what remains of the “variable clocks are a sham, 2 TFLOPS difference is super meaningful and everything else people are saying about clockspeed mattering and other HW differences having a say too are wrong, wait until PS5 games throttle like crazy under load all the time” is a “cannot notice the difference, even in numbers is super minimal, but I am happy it is there on paper at least in some form”.

You could say the same about the xbox controller some folks may prefer it over the DS. Haptics are pretty meaningless if one finds the controller uncomfortable.

But regarding performance they all seem pretty ok.

I find the seriesS really interesting. Its funny because in some ways there was bigger differences in visuals between the ps3 + 360.

Banned
16 threads is a moot point, in most cases devs will choose to run their games over raw, 8 physical cores where smt is disabled. even halo infinite runs this way (their dev on GDC said so)

smt is when a core is not fully utilized. devs currently cant even properly utilize 8 full physical threads to their maximum potential, smt on 8 core cpus usually cause a performance drop due to cache being shared over 2 threads.

its just there for the occasional game like doom eternal where it can use all threads as worked threads.

smt is really really useful on 4 core CPUs for games that demand 6+ threads. we can see that on i3 10100f over i3 9100f. its also somewhat useful for 6 core cpus when they're under heavy load.

for 8 core? usually its not needed.

you are correct, but I simply gave examples on what doesn't work in BC mode. and technically a game like Doom that is actually well threaded could not fully utilize the potential of the CPU in back compat mode

Mr Moose

Indeed, the example brought up on this page is a early/mid 2021 game, not even a recent one. The "tools" have finally matured, or rather the GDK has, to avoid the launch period niggles.

John put out this tweet infographic of the comparisons he has done recently.

Xbox was ahead in 8, PS5 in 2, and 5 were draw.

The weird bit about this is he is including draws from Xbox One/PS4 games in that list, there are a few less than that when comparing just the Series X/PS5. Also, while the Touryst isn't a "vs" video, they do compare the two in the video and PS5 is the better version.
He gave the win to PS5 in DMC5? :pie_thinking:

adamsapple

He gave the win to PS5 in DMC5? :pie_thinking:

The 120hz mode at launch window ran better on PS5, the RT mode was a little better on SX but the 120hz mode, which John preferred more, ran better on PS5 hence PS5 got the nod there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

These are just comparisons he personally did, the overall number for both would be way higher. Did he do this just because people where talking about PS5 winning Valhalla and talking shit? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yeah i think the conversation started because people were tagging him about Valhalla etc and eventually he said fuck it here's the full dump of what I've done so you guys can see.

Topher

Gold Member
John Foundry and Adams Apple are two leaves of the same branch

Yeah, how close these machines really are became quite obvious to me after I started gaming on both XSX and PS5.

Yeah i think the conversation started because people were tagging him about Valhalla etc and eventually he said fuck it here's the full dump of what I've done so you guys can see.

How did Valhalla come up again in the first place?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yeah, how close these machines really are became quite obvious to me after I started gaming on both XSX and PS5.

How did Valhalla come up again in the first place?

I can't find where it started, but this is his tweet which implies it was something Valhalla related in the first place.

Twitter is a cesspool so its not surprising if he was being tagged in random unrelated comments

Well, in graphics thread..... People are talking about controller preference... I cant even...

Well maybe you just have to accept that the two are close enough where the performance difference doesn’t factor in the version someone picks up. There are other features like quick resume or the controller that can make someone pick one version over the other.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well maybe you just have to accept that the two are close enough where the performance difference doesn’t factor in the version someone picks up. There are other features like quick resume or the controller that can make someone pick one version over the other.

Yeah that maybe so, but a thread about visuals is not the place to discuss those things.

Yeah that maybe so, but a thread about visuals is not the place to discuss those things.

Actually many people use these threads to decide which version to get. So it is appropriate to discuss if there isn’t a big enough difference for them to choose the best performing version.

Like my choice boils down to the controller because there isn’t a massive difference between the two versions. If there was I would buy a Series X and the Dualsense wouldn’t even be a factor. But that didn’t happen.

Top Bottom