• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 3 Appreciation Thread (56K Warning)

Respect bitches. Takarashi and uneven levels/backgrounds > *.

vf3-char.jpg

vf3-js.jpg

vf3-ls.jpg

s-l.jpg

s-p.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

sVirtua_Fighter_3.jpg

I still remember the first time I played this at the arcades. It was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. The graphics, the sound, the fluid animation... everything in the game was just years ahead of its time. It might've not aged well. But based on nostalgia alone, this might very well be my favourite fighting game ever.

Oh and VF3 for the Saturn... ;_;

0530429be1a57d470.png

DCX

DCX
I loved VF3: TB on DC even though people have hailed it "Genkigate" It played very well, and visually, looks good.

DCX

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I enjoyed #2 and the #4's, but #3 was just trash to me. The dodge button was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Tekken 3's tap dodges were 100% more useful.

Tain

Huh. How did you get that screenshot of VF3 for the saturn? I've never seen a single screenshot of the canned Sega Saturn Version that was in development.

is that really a picture of Virtua Fighter 3 for Saturn? O_O

or is it something else ?

Tain said:
It's just a MAME shot of VF3.

It has all of the same visual errors as VF3 in Mame. All of 'em. And it definitely isn't the same pixel dimensions as Saturn's high-res mode.

DCX

DCX
I had that issue :) I must agree. Sega has always been on the cutting edge in terms of the arcade market. Super GT and VF3 still hold there own til this day.

DCX

I am still awaiting Takarashi's triumphant return to VF series. His attacks were so wonderfully brutal that the series has never been the same without him.

Vormund

Yeah seems a bit odd that he was the first char to not return for a game.

I mean they could have made an attempt to improve him rather than drop him altogether.

Vormund said:
Yeah seems a bit odd that he was the first char to not return for a game.

I mean they could have made an attempt to improve him rather than drop him altogether.

They removed him for technical reasons. In other words, his ass was way too big. Programming his model would require different collision detection than the other characters. AM2 decided that it wasn't worth the time since he didn't have a lot of fans.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wow, I cannot believe those graphics floored me at one point. It's funny how when I picture the game in my head (at least when I saw it in the arcade), it's still graphically stunning...far more than how it really looks, heh.

The Abominable Snowman said:
I remember my first time seeing VF3. My jaw was dropped. I could not believe graphics would ever advance that far.

Look where we are now :D :D :D

Yeah. I remember comparing VF3 to Toy Story. :D

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Can't wait until the arcade game is finally emulated. Arcade VF3 is still one of my favorite games and in some ways, it's still the most complex and rewarding of the VF series.

ManaByte

I don't think any shots of VF3 Saturn actually exist. It was in the works (with a RAM cart), but I don't think it was ever shown to anyone.

ManaByte said:
I don't think any shots of VF3 Saturn actually exist. It was in the works (with a RAM cart), but I don't think it was ever shown to anyone.

I don't anymore. I do however remember some magazines recieving playable copies of the beta. I am not sure if those claims were true or not. I hope that maybe one of the guys at EGM can clarify.

AM2 just scrapped the idea when they realized that it was just physically impossible to make a decent version of the game with the Saturn hardware. So they made Fighters Megamix which was the next best thing considering that it had the movelist from VF3. :D

MetalAlien

Banned
CurseoftheMods said:
I don't anymore. I do however remember some magazines recieving playable copies of the beta. I am not sure if those claims were true or not. I hope that maybe one of the guys at EGM can clarify.

AM2 just scrapped the idea when they realized that it was just physically impossible to make a decent version of the game with the Saturn hardware. So they made Fighters Megamix which was the next best thing considering that it had the movelist from VF3. :D

Yea I just quickly dug through some of my old mags and couldn't find anyhting on Saturn VF3... but I remember seeing stuff about it.

Didn't they change their minds halfway through and upgrade it for the Dreamcast launch?

MetalAlien said:
Yea I just quickly dug through some of my old mags and couldn't find anyhting on Saturn VF3... but I remember seeing stuff about it.

Didn't they change their minds halfway through and upgrade it for the Dreamcast launch?

Not exactly. AM2 was way too busy with Shenmue, so they handed over the project to Genki (which was comprised of ex-AM2 staff). Genki did an okay job with the port. It was a bit rushed for the Japanese DC launch. There wasn't even a versus mode in the Japanese version!

After releasing the Japanese version of Shenmue, AM2 started refining the port Genki did for the US release of VF3:TB. The end product definitely felt more "complete", in terms of graphics and features. I would know since I won both. :)

SickBoy

CurseoftheMods said:

It's the sort of thing that would make a very interesting historical piece EDIT: That is, the idea of the Saturn upgrade, the rumors of VF3 development for Saturn, etc. I hope the new NextGen online offers some solid glimpses of the past as they did back when they were in print (which was Steven Kent stuff ultimately destined for his book).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh crap!

That looks years worse then VF4:Evo!

Yet......

About as good a DOA3.

A wtf moment for me o.o!

And I love VF3 it was very very fun. Loved the stages and all that and was disappointed the height variations and crap were taken away from #4 ;_;

Still my favorite instalment in the series. The undulating floors and overall superb design of the arenas made it so much more tactical than most fighting games (not that VF wasn't tactical in the first place). Just thinking about how characters' feet always conected with various ground levels was amazing, especially in Shun's stage where the levels were constantly changing.

jett

D-Member
Heh...I remembe reading a VF3 preview on Gamepro around the time the game came out. All the pictures they used for the article were CG artworks and they passed them off as real-time shit. I was a little disappointed when I first got a look at the game a few years later. :p

Sho Nuff

Banned
I remember when I saw it for the first time. I was like "HOLY CRAP, IT'S LIKE IT'S REAL, THERE IS NO WAY GRAPHICS CAN EVER GET BETTER THAN THIS."

This game has awesome IK. The foot placement system rocks, especially when you have the guys running over the rafts that are all tied together. I still prefer it to VF4, what with the fighting for position.

ourumov

I arrived a bit late to the party...Actually circa 2003, when I first played it on the DC. Of course, after having played VF4 I wasn't impressed at all and the geometry of some models in the DC version seemed straight from VF2 Saturn.

Anyways the game's levels are pretty cool and the music had some great tunes.

My beef with VF3 was the addition of the fourth escape button, because it broke the tradition of control and makes 3 button VF sticks unusable.

Now, I see that the flyer also mentions this buttons, but I only see three buttons on the cab pictures. What hell?

Shinobi

:lol My eyes bugged out at the "Saturn" shot before finding out the truth. I would love to see what that version looked like, and what it was running with (RAM cart, 3D upgrade or standalone).

The Dural portion of that initial VF3 demonstration was fucking ridiculous...for gaming hardware developed in early '96 to do in real time what blew people's minds six years earlier in Abyss and Terminator 2 the year later was simply sick. From what I remember the demonstration visuals looked a bit better then the final game, but it was still a fearsome technological demo.

Trojan X

Banned
Sp3eD said:
I enjoyed #2 and the #4's, but #3 was just trash to me. The dodge button was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Tekken 3's tap dodges were 100% more useful.

Totally disagree with you and for you to say Tekken 3 tap dodge were 100% more useful totally discredits you.

I've been playing the VF series since VF1 was released in the arcades and today I am still playing VF3 and VF4 Final Tuned. The dodge button has many advantages and disadvantages and the side dodge on VF4 also have many advantages and disadvantages - you will not be able to see these dis/advantages unless an expert player shows you but when you see them then you'll just say, 'F&*K ME!!! DANGGG!'

Personally, I hope VF5 have both the tap-dodge and the dodge button unless they, AM2, can improve the tap-dodge system. We'll see...

SaitoH

Being able to slip-dodge with the evade button made it awesome. Although, I must admit, I prefer the 3 button setup.

I imported my Dreamcast, at launch, to play VF3.

^w^

Uh I remember when i saw Virtua Fighter 1 in the arcades.
It was jawdropping to see that animation. The human brain thinks its realistic aslong
as it moves like something real. (thats why crappy animation ruins good graphics)

I actually beat it the second time i played, and i still dont know what i did :D
Just button-smashing, and rotating the joystick like mad, and my friends was WTF?
when i beat it.
Too bad i never done it anymore.. i guess that was my 15minutes of fame :D

Vormund

Shinobi said:
:lol My eyes bugged out at the "Saturn" shot before finding out the truth. I would love to see what that version looked like, and what it was running with (RAM cart, 3D upgrade or standalone).

In terms of graphical quality, the Shenmue Saturn demo is probably in line with what VF3 Satrun looked like.

I might whip out the DC and give VF3tb a go...it's been a while.

What is the status of VF3/Model3 emulation? Mainly talking in terms of speed.

Trojan X

Banned
Being able to slip-dodge with the evade button made it awesome. Although, I must admit, I prefer the 3 button setup.

But its not even that, with that dodge button you can perform some sick movements that would confuse your opponent on both facing and rear facing your opponents. Also, you can quickly shift/side-step round your opponents which is something you cannot do in vf4. there more you can do but i don't have enough time to go in depth right now.

In fact, Sega used the wrong word, they didn't create a dodge button in VF3, they created a 'shift' button.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Vormund said:
In terms of graphical quality, the Shenmue Saturn demo is probably in line with what VF3 Satrun looked like.

I might whip out the DC and give VF3tb a go...it's been a while.

What is the status of VF3/Model3 emulation? Mainly talking in terms of speed.

It's not playable yet...but supposedly the people behind SuperModel have joined the MAME team, so hopefully soon...

Top Bottom