• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 3 Appreciation Thread (56K Warning)

Cafeman

Some great Sarah moves in that last video! In particular, her double flip over Pai and then landing and backflip kicking for the win!

I thought these were DC and not arcade, but the background isn't the 2D trees bitmap I'm familiar with on Shun's stage .... how do you get that bg to show (or is this arcade?).

Trojan X

Banned
Believe it or not but this is from the Dreamcast version - doesn't it still look amazing?
Yeah, the Sarah somersault over Pai's flip then landing to finish of with her own backflip was definitely the highlight of that match - that was so damn bliss¬! You see the way she shifts in comparison to the other peeps? I find her faster.

AOI vs WOLF (60fps - 20megs - WMV)

FINALLY, a match with AOI for you all! You'll definitely love this one!

After 3 more videos I will be done posting VF3 vids for you all to watch and go crazy, so please enjoy yourselfs while you still can.

I think some of you just haven"t seen the Model 3 version of VF3 in some time. There was a lot of nasty graphics to be found in that game that just didn't stand out at the time. A lot of the joints and especially the hands were terrible looking. The game certainly hasn't aged well IMO and this is basing it off the fact that I own the arcade. VF2 has aged better than VF3 has in many ways. It's a shame that the final version of VF3 never lived up to the VF3 tech demo either. That thing looked really nice. Damn shame they had to scale it back. Also a damn shame that AM2 was never good at modeling characters. Compare Namco's character models with AM2's. I'm not talking about art design, but just technical merit.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Marty Chinn said:
I think some of you just haven"t seen the Model 3 version of VF3 in some time. There was a lot of nasty graphics to be found in that game that just didn't stand out at the time. A lot of the joints and especially the hands were terrible looking. The game certainly hasn't aged well IMO and this is basing it off the fact that I own the arcade. VF2 has aged better than VF3 has in many ways. It's a shame that the final version of VF3 never lived up to the VF3 tech demo either. That thing looked really nice. Damn shame they had to scale it back. Also a damn shame that AM2 was never good at modeling characters. Compare Namco's character models with AM2's. I'm not talking about art design, but just technical merit.

Well, VF2 came out in the arcades before the first Tekken, and Tekken 2 was barely out when VF3 was released, so I just think you need a tiny reality check here. We're talking about a game that came out in the arcades in 1996. You cannot compare the complexity of the models done for VF3 to the ones that are in Tekken 2 or Mario 64, we're talking about human models. Of course there was gonna be some difficulty at first, by the time Namco was dealing with something like that AM2 had already been through the whole trial and error for them to catch up to, and a tad more.

Azelover said:
Well, VF2 came out in the arcades before the first Tekken, and Tekken 2 was barely out when VF3 was released, so I just think you need a tiny reality check here. We're talking about a game that came out in the arcades in 1996. You cannot compare the complexity of the models done for VF3 to the ones that are in Tekken 2 or Mario 64, we're talking about human models. Of course there was gonna be some difficulty at first, by the time Namco was dealing with something like that AM2 had already been through the whole trial and error for them to catch up to, and a tad more.

I think you need to check your timeline. VF came out, then came Tekken. Tekken 2 and VF2 came out about the same time and then VF3 came out later. Not sure if it was before or after Tekken 3 off hand but I can double check on that. Not to mention that Soul Edge was out before Virtua Fighter 3 as well.

Tekken was the first texture mapped fighter and came out before Virtua Fighter 2. Getting back to the original point, if you look at Namco's technical aspects of their character models, they were doing a lot of things much better than AM2 did with their character models. It shows in their joints and modeling techniques. Namco was always a step ahead in this category. Heck you need not look any further than the hands of the VF3 characters. I don't care if you're working with more powerful hardware or not but there are some basic fundamentals that you can follow in modeling. Namco never had bad joints or hands that looked that bad.

Trojan X

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I think you need to check your timeline. VF came out, then came Tekken. Tekken 2 and VF2 came out about the same time and then VF3 came out later. Not sure if it was before or after Tekken 3 off hand but I can double check on that. Not to mention that Soul Edge was out before Virtua Fighter 3 as well.

Tekken was the first texture mapped fighter and came out before Virtua Fighter 2. Getting back to the original point, if you look at Namco's technical aspects of their character models, they were doing a lot of things much better than AM2 did with their character models. It shows in their joints and modeling techniques. Namco was always a step ahead in this category. Heck you need not look any further than the hands of the VF3 characters. I don't care if you're working with more powerful hardware or not but there are some basic fundamentals that you can follow in modeling. Namco never had bad joints or hands that looked that bad.

Here is an fairly accurate timeline of the games:

1. Virtua Fighter 1 - 1993
2. Tekken - ?
3. Virtua Fighter 2 - 1995
4. Soul Edge - 1995
5. Tekken 2 - 1995
6. Virtua Fighter 3 - 1996
7. Tekken 3 - 1996
8. Virtua Fighter 3tb - 1997
9. Soul Calibur - 1998
10. Tekken Tag Tournament - 1999
11. Virtua Fighter 4 - 2001
12. Tekken 4 - 2002
13. Virtua Fighter Evolution - 2002
14. Virtua Fighter Final Tuned - 2004
15. Tekken 5 - 2005

I have to agree with you in regards to the joints and other technicality in that regards (Soul Calibur is the best example of great use of joints), but as for this standing out on the arcade version I have to wholly disagree with you. Majority of the people who has been playing this game didn't really spot such discrepancies until they were pointed out, and even then, they - unlike the Dreamcast version - I personally haven't heard anyone complaining about them.

Regarding the age of VF3, well, from looking at the Dreamcast version alone (especially in the videos) the game STILL looks damn good.

Anyhow, this is just my opinion.

Trojan X

Banned
Man, I was at that Sega booth, you had no idea how crazy I was watching that VF-demo in motion and eyeing up that fit Sega spokes-girl. Dammit, if only I had more time, I would have chatted her up.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't know if it's correct, but I checked it again and according to what I have Tekken came out in december 1994 in arcades and VF2 came out in november 1994. Tekken 2 would come out in august 1995 and then VF3 would come out in 1996. So I definitely exageratted with the Tekken2-VF3 comment there's a larger time gap between them, but I still think Tekken didn't get near the level of character detail shown in VF3 until much way way later in the game, also the Model 3 hardware was very different to work with and very hard to work with and they still busted out some great graphics, for the time it was groundbreaking.

Jeffahn

Marty Chinn said:
I think some of you just haven"t seen the Model 3 version of VF3 in some time.

I saw it on Friday night.

There was a lot of nasty graphics to be found in that game that just didn't stand out at the time. A lot of the joints and especially the hands were terrible looking.

No 3D fighter before VF3 had characters with fingers which were seperately modelled and animated. The joints in VF3 were simple meshes, also something not seen before when the competition where using skirts and belts to hide their joints.

The game certainly hasn't aged well IMO and this is basing it off the fact that I own the arcade. VF2 has aged better than VF3 has in many ways.

I don't need to own the arcade machine because I played it for a few years and can go and play it any time I want. You also have to bear in mind that VF3 was the first game on the most cutting-edge hardware of that era whilst VF2 was at least the second game on the Model 2 board.

It's a shame that the final version of VF3 never lived up to the VF3 tech demo either. That thing looked really nice. Damn shame they had to scale it back.

Are you reffering to the T2-style demo? I'm not sure I've seen the video of that, was it on the DC version of VF3? From the pics I remember the only difference was maybe some kind of reflection-mapping (red/blue lights) on the Dural model, so you might be right. Could somebody please upload the video if they have it.

Also a damn shame that AM2 was never good at modeling characters. Compare Namco's character models with AM2's. I'm not talking about art design, but just technical merit.

Exactly what technical differences do you see? The only difference I noticed between Tekken 2/Soul Edge/Blade and VF3 was the lack of any kind of meshes in the Namco games in comparison to the hap-hazard meshes in VF3. Tekken 3 came out after VF3 and had some pretty good skinning, but that was certainly due more to Namco's familiarity with the hardware (System11/12) than anything else.

Trojan X

Banned
Are you reffering to the T2-style demo? I'm not sure I've seen the video of that, was it on the DC version of VF3? From the pics I remember the only difference was maybe some kind of reflection-mapping (red/blue lights) on the Dural model, so you might be right. Could somebody please upload the video if they have it.

I got that video, I can upload it when I get home.

Azelover said:
I don't know if it's correct, but I checked it again and according to what I have Tekken came out in december 1994 in arcades and VF2 came out in november 1994. Tekken 2 would come out in august 1995 and then VF3 would come out in 1996. So I definitely exageratted with the Tekken2-VF3 comment there's a larger time gap between them, but I still think Tekken didn't get near the level of character detail shown in VF3 until much way way later in the game, also the Model 3 hardware was very different to work with and very hard to work with and they still busted out some great graphics, for the time it was groundbreaking.

I'm not sure about the months, but the rough dates are correct. Tekken 1 came out in late 1994 in the arcades, just as the Playstation was launching. The first time I saw VF2 was during Xmas 1994, a few weeks after Tekken 1. I first spotted Tekken 2 in late summer 1995.

I think Model 3 suffered some delays and Fighting Vipers was made instead as an experiemental fighter on Model 2. In either case, I didn't get to see VF3 before fall 1996, around the N64 launch in North America.

SaitoH

Trojan X said:
Ah ic. Well, what I was trying to say was normally, when you hear two people debating over the qualities of VF4 and VF3, 90% of the time you'll hear them saying that VF4 is a much better game. When a third person listens to that conversation, most of the time they'll get the impression that VF3 isn't very good game that they should play or purchase, but the truth of the matter is, 'yes', VF4 is a better game but VF3 is an amazing game also but it's just VF4 got the edge - in reality you should have both games to be really happy but that's my opinion. The third person - which is practically many of us here reading conversations on this forum - always tends to have a form of empathy for when it comes to certain topics in discussion, and it's due to that empathy that they tend to lose sight of the open mind that they should attain when spectating any arguments, thus in results sometimes they get the wrong end of the stick on certain conversations, i.e. they get the wrong idea about the debator's underlying point.

E.g. number 1 - we talked about the animation of VF3 and VF4; VF3's animation is very good, solid and flow very well, but VF4 animation is better with much more flamboyancy and more closer to realism. Some people here thought from that conversation that the animation in VF3 was shit and it has been vastly improved in VF4.

E.g. number 2 - people argue over which game is more superior out of Tekken 5 and VF4-Final Tuned and 70% of the time from the hardcore gamers you'll hear they say VF4-Final Tuned is the better game, but even though they say this it doesn't mean that Tekken 5 is crap or anything like that, they're simply saying the Tekken 5 is great but VF4-Final Tuned has the edge.

You know what I mean, now...?

Hehe

I love all the VF games, including VF3. It was a landmark game ... ballon fingers and all.

^_~

PS. In regards to Marty Chinn's comments about AM2s inability to model. I agree to some extent. They've always had a problem with joints, but my biggest issue is their character design. Namco's always been better in that respect.

I love the VF series,,, and from each sequal,, there was an evolution (unlike some other rival Fighter franchises who stay stuck in time or take steps backwards)

I wasn't too crazy about the un-even floors because obvious reasons, I did like the Dodge Button at the time and I though Taka to be an awesome addition

as VF4 evolved from VF3 evolved from VF2 and evolved from VF1: every additional element (either positive or negative) helped create a better VF game for the future instalments.

say what u will about VF3,,,, it was essential to happen to create a better VF4

Trojan X

Banned
Now, here are the FINAL movies:

WOLF vs LION (60fps - 28megs - WMV)

Now this next one is very special, this isn't Virtua Fighter 3 but it is actually footage of one of the Virtua Fighter 2 tournament in Japan. Prepare to see some sick combos peep:

AKIRA vs LAU - VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 JAPAN TOURNAMENT (30fps - 21megs - WMV)

THat concludes my massive contribution to this appreciate thread, now, its time for you to go typing response crazy.

Jeffahn

Trojan X said:
My dancing games days finished approximately 2 years ago, and no, it's no-one you know, bro.

LOL, must have been your clone I saw dancing at ATEI then. If they play VF in London I *might* know them.

Anyways, what happened to the VF3 demo reel?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Instigator:
In either case, I didn't get to see VF3 before fall 1996, around the N64 launch in North America.
Seeing Model 3 graphics in Virtua Fighter 3 and Scud Race before even the era of 3Dfx and Voodoo1 accelerated games was shocking.

Jeffahn

Lazy8s said:
Instigator:

Seeing Model 3 graphics in Virtua Fighter 3 and Scud Race before even the era of 3Dfx and Voodoo1 accelerated games was shocking.

I remember those days; when all the 3D Card manufactures were trying to convince everyone that only they could match or exceed "arcade quality graphics". Scud Race, man the single most graphically impressive game for its time -ever.

Trojan X

Banned
Man, what a sick 6-hits combo from Akira in VF2! I wish I could do that but I can't do the double palm that quick on that version other than VF4.

*sigh... Why can't our tournament sound this fun? Heck, they've proven that VF2 is MUCH better than Tekken 2.

Vormund said:
I loved the music in VF3. BAH. :/

I can't believe this is the only guy to mention VF3's music. It was ace.

Let me be the tenth person to agree this is a great thread, and well deserved. I love VF3.

Great vids Trojan.

Like some of you I also SHIT MYSELF when I thought that shot was a Saturn version screenshot.

I love the style of VF3, background designs, etc, but overall though VF4 just tears VF3 apart in gameplay terms in my opinion, so much faster, loosened up mechanics etc. VF4 takes the depth of 2 to just an unfathomable level that, as far as I could always make out, was not really *as* pronounced in 3.

Can't wait for VF5 which is well and truly on its way. The E3 demo looked fab in HD. :)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Virtua Fighter 2 came out fall of 1994. Tekken 1 came out fall/winter 1994 (it was on the PS1 shortly after the Japanese launch too). Tekken 2 came out spring-summer of 1995.

Jeffahn

Fatghost28 said:
Virtua Fighter 4 came out fall of 1994.

I see, YU Suzuki = George Lucas, therefore maybe we should be looking forward to Virtua Fighter Episode 1: Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Jeffahn said:
I see, YU Suzuki = George Lucas, therefore maybe we should be looking forward to Virtua Fighter Episode 1: Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting

It's been a long day and I'm very tired.

Shinobi

Jeffahn said:
I remember those days; when all the 3D Card manufactures were trying to convince everyone that only they could match or exceed "arcade quality graphics". Scud Race, man the single most graphically impressive game for its time -ever.

:lol Those days were a crackup...seeing all these two bit 3D card guys talking about their "arcade quality" boards, when most of 'em couldn't even hang with Model 2.

What do you guys expect to see in VF5? Or more to the point, what would you like to see?

Trojan X

Banned
Jeffahn - can you play like that in VF2 like those Japanese guys in that VF2 tournament video? You and I have been playing VF for a long time, but even I can't play like that, yet, but can you?

KyotoMecca - Thanks dude! I might have a VF3 or VF4 session at my yard soon, you're welcome to come along if I set one up for sure.

GAH! Those are great fights, Gavin! WOOHOO! Brings me back to the Vancouver days when I use to play VF3TB everyday after work at Lions Den with the crew from Relic and Radical..... I use to play almost like that with Pai, Kage, and Aoi!

Trojan X

Banned
Shogmaster said:
GAH! Those are great fights, Gavin! WOOHOO! Brings me back to the Vancouver days when I use to play VF3TB everyday after work at Lions Den with the crew from Relic and Radical..... I use to play almost like that with Pai, Kage, and Aoi!

Thank bro! Ok, here's every single movie that was posted here in one post for everyone:

AOI UMENOKOUJI VF3 DANCE DEMO
The first VF3 video demonstration that SEGA showed to the public in Japan.

AOI vs WOLF (60fps - 20megs - WMV)
Match highlight - 1st round reversal

SARAH vs PAI (60fps - 24megs - WMV)
Match highlight - somersault flip over the flip kick then landing with another flip kick

KAGE vs LION (60fps - 35megs - WMV)
Match highlight - Final floating combo, own3d!

KAGE vs WOLF (60fps - 17megs - WMV)
Match highlight - No highlights, throughout Wolf was toyed and destroyed

LAU vs JACKY (60fps - 16megs - WMV)
Match highlight - none, just man getting own3d

AKIRA vs WOLF - Part 2 (60fps - 24.5meg - WMV)
Match highlight - super deep shoulder barge, sick shifting and Stun Palm of Doom

AKIRA vs WOLF - (60fps - 17megs - WMV)
Match highlight - Sick shifting, breaking defense to floating combo

LAU vs PAI (60fps - 13megs - WMV)
Match highlight - none, man got OWN3D!

AOI vs PAI (60fps - 29megs - WMV)
Match highlight - none, close call match.

WOLF vs LION (60fps - 28megs - WMV)
Match highlight - Dodge to low side-throw

AKIRA vs LAU - VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 JAPAN TOURNAMENT (30fps - 21megs - WMV)
Match highlight - none, just a totally sick match!!!!

Enjoy them everyone! All fights are so proper good!

Trojan X

Banned
I got some mixes that isn't on the game.

Man, watching all those videos back-to-back in media player reminds me of the solid good days when we use to play VF3 back in Namco Wonderpark attaining 50+ wins in a roll...!

Jeffahn

Trojan X said:
Jeffahn - can you play like that in VF2 like those Japanese guys in that VF2 tournament video? You and I have been playing VF for a long time, but even I can't play like that, yet, but can you?

KyotoMecca - Thanks dude! I might have a VF3 or VF4 session at my yard soon, you're welcome to come along if I set one up for sure.

I can't play anything like that 'coz, apart from 1 or 2 games in London, I only ever played VF2 against my brother back in SA. The thing about VF2 is that it's pretty near brocken once you take away the speed.

Back to VF3, there was this one Jap guy who did that low side throw stuff to me all the time (like every low throw opportuinity) by doing the dodge after the move. Unescapable.

Trojan X

Banned
Jeffahn said:
... The thing about VF2 is that it's pretty near brocken once you take away the speed....

What do you mean? Elaborate, please.

The highest combo I achieved on VF2 with Akira was performing a 2/3 Stun Palm of Doom, then followed by a dashing in-step elbow, then tap high punch then follow with a shoulder barge. However, even with this combo I'm not sure if it entirely applies to all players or not. I know it works against the computer, but against an hardcore player I'm not too sure. I guess that Japanese guy in that video was too darn good...

Jeffahn

Trojan X said:
What do you mean? Elaborate, please.

In slow mode you realise that there's almost always enough time to either block or backdash an attack (even 2.1) so you can take any character with an unescapable throw, wait for an opening and just wear your oppponent down.

The highest combo I achieved on VF2 with Akira was performing a 2/3 Stun Palm of Doom, then followed by a dashing in-step elbow, then tap high punch then follow with a shoulder barge. However, even with this combo I'm not sure if it entirely applies to all players or not. I know it works against the computer, but against an hardcore player I'm not too sure. I guess that Japanese guy in that video was too darn good...

The G-cancel make some pretty wacky stuff possible, but i never even knew about that stuff.

Trojan X

Banned
I remembered that I do have a video somewhere of a Japanese guy performing an 8-hits combo in VF2, it was the most sickening thing I seen ever performed on that game! Maybe I can look for it once I can find the time to do so.

I never knew about using the traction to that level of degree until I saw those videos, in fact, I never knew you could play VF2 like that! So crazy...

I need some challenges on VF3 Dreamcast now.... Anyone up for it?

Tain

There was a Saturn VF2 video I saw a while ago. It had Akira against Pai, and instead of a controller being hooked up, I think there was a PC sending inputs to the Saturn controller port. My memory's sketchy, but I'm almost positive Akira started to float Pai, then repeatedly did the same punch until K.O., all as a single combo.

I'll see if I can dig this up.

Trojan X

Banned
Any joy?

Oh, just some notes for anyone who is/was trying to download the videos. Unless someone can offer some space to store the videos on their server for people to download, you won't be able to download them. This is because the last space was thoroughly used up bandwidth wise, i.e. pushed to a point where sacrifices had to be made; that's popularity for yah.

So, if anyone would like to host then please give me a PM.

Jeffahn

Gavin,

I've seen that video with the G-cancel punches ending with a 2Xpalm (I think). I had it a while ago before my HDD crashed. It was from a european vf site (Polish, I think) with red decor, but I can't find it again. Creed should have it tho, so you can just check on #vfhome.

Top Bottom