• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 3 Appreciation Thread (56K Warning)

TheDiave

Banned
CurseoftheMods said:
They removed him for technical reasons. In other words, his ass was way too big. Programming his model would require different collision detection than the other characters. AM2 decided that it wasn't worth the time since he didn't have a lot of fans.
Really? Wow... I never knew that, though it makes sense (the collision issue, I mean).

Crowza

I got my Dreamcast the week of the Japanese launch just for VF3 (when it was sold out). Of course, I had also purchased a Saturn at its US launch just for VF1. So, when it comes to Virtua Fighter, alongside of Fire Pro - it's my favorite game series and I'll buy any game system to play it on.

I waited to purchase the PS2 until VF4 was released. I couldn't help but be very disappointed with the initial version of VF4 for the PS2. While it sported much better lighting than VF3tb on the Dreamcast, the jaggies were bad and the game's resolution seemed low (which is quite an odd combination). It didn't look nearly as good to me, as VF3tb did on Dreamcast (I did direct side-by-side comparisons of the two games).

I took a lot of flak on these boards for expressing my opinion. In fact, I was labelled a "Dreamcast fanboy" by some of the PS2 fans. In reality, I was simply a "VF fanboy". Get it right.

Of course, Sega cleaned up their act with VF Evolution on PS2. Overall, graphics were much better than VF4 on PS2 and VF3tb. I love the additional modes of play. In fact, I'm getting my PS2 system modded right now so I can enjoy the Japanese version of VF2 from the "Sega Ages" collection. I think I've finally gotten rid of wanting the "evade" button back.

I still miss Taka though...

I'm hoping that with VF5 they'll right this great injustice and bring Taka back.

.hacked

I got my import DC at launch. Got the DC, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs and all the launch games. NSC had it at my door via overnight FedEx, best $1000.00 I ever charged ;)

We player VF3tb for days, I mean all day long the DC never turned off.

Don't think a system will ever wow me like the DC did. We will never see a jump like Sat/PS/N64 to Dreamcast again.

edit:

Watch out for the Sega Ages VF2, the port is not that great. I mean it is VF2 but I swear it was more fun on the Saturn. It should have been a much better port, the textures are awful.

Crowza

.hacked said:
I got my import DC at launch. Got the DC, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs and all the launch games. NSC had it at my door via overnight FedEx, best $1000.00 I ever charged ;)

I spent about $800 total, from The Rage. I only purchased VF3tb with my initial DC. In order to get once at launch imported, you had to purchase in addition to every single game released. Rudy, from The Rage told me since I was such a good customer, that he would stock the additional games and all I'd have to buy was VF3tb. Saved me a few hundred dollars. It was worth every penny and I would have been glad to spend $1,000 to do it all over again.

I spent the next few years playing VF3tb. Only switched to the US version when it was released because they fixed the lack of a versus mode. I had two arcade sticks and I spent hours playing against competition and downloading + studying HK videos to get better.

I played Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 for about the same amount of time. What's really got me excited is the possibility of playing VF online this next generation. I can't wait!!! Can you imagine the level of competition?

.hacked said:

Don't think a system will ever wow me like the DC did. We will never see a jump like Sat/PS/N64 to Dreamcast again.

edit:

Watch out for the Sega Ages VF2, the port is not that great. I mean it is VF2 but I swear it was more fun on the Saturn. It should have been a much better port, the textures are awful.

I think we could still see a jump. But, with Microsoft cutting down on the numbers of years between consoles, you're probably right.

That sucks about VF2 though. I'll still pick it up for my collection, it's cheap and I've got to have it.. But, I was hoping they would have done a better job on the port.

SaitoH

Crowza said:
I spent about $800 total, from The Rage. I only purchased VF3tb with my initial DC. In order to get once at launch imported, you had to purchase in addition to every single game released. Rudy, from The Rage told me since I was such a good customer, that he would stock the additional games and all I'd have to buy was VF3tb. Saved me a few hundred dollars. It was worth every penny and I would have been glad to spend $1,000 to do it all over again.

I spent the next few years playing VF3tb. Only switched to the US version when it was released because they fixed the lack of a versus mode. I had two arcade sticks and I spent hours playing against competition and downloading + studying HK videos to get better.

I played Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 for about the same amount of time. What's really got me excited is the possibility of playing VF online this next generation. I can't wait!!! Can you imagine the level of competition?

I think we could still see a jump. But, with Microsoft cutting down on the numbers of years between consoles, you're probably right.

That sucks about VF2 though. I'll still pick it up for my collection, it's cheap and I've got to have it.. But, I was hoping they would have done a better job on the port.

LOL!

I did all my importing from Rudy. Man, I imported a lot of Saturn and DC games.

^_~

Trojan X said:
Here's the first video guys and girls:

VIRTUA FIGHTER 3 BATTLE VIDEO

AKIRA VS WOLF (60fps - 17megs - WMV)

Enjoy!

Wow. You're pretty good with Akira. Great video man. Good to see that VF3's animation is superb, even when you compare to VF4. :)

Can't wait until my University summer course finishes, so I could go back home and do some serious gaming. :D

Shinobi

Cool stuff Trojan, thanks.

I remember reading Yu Suzuki's initial thoughts about Taka's design. Said he wanted to have his stomach rumble when he moved. Supposedly Sega wanted the Model 3 board to push 3 to 5 million polys, which I guess is what it would've taken for the stomach rumble to take place without looking silly. In the end they only got about a million for the initial board, and VF3 supposedly only pushed about 900,000 and change.

BTW, in terms of visual and character design, I think VF2 has it all over the other games. To this day arcade VF2 remains one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever seen...the character and stage design were simply phenominal. I didn't care much for the VF3 character designs...they just looked wierd and off compared to 2. The backgrounds were pretty bad ass, though they felt more like locales then fighting stages (guess that was the point). I liked VF4's character designs for the most part, but don't like the stage design as much as 2 or 3.

Anyanka

That video reminded me of how bad the music is in that series. VF4 finally introduced cool art and presentation to the series, next they need to get rid of the dreadful cheese metal soundtrack. Maybe endings after that.

Sarah's 3 stage was cool. I liked knocking them into the subway.

Shinobi

That's another thing I forgot to mention...I didn't care much for the music in VF3, outside of a couple of tunes (the snow stage one was pretty cool). The first two games had awesome soundtracks though...the first game being more fast paced, the second game being more atmospheric.

Come to think of it, does anyone have MP3's from VF1? The tunes in VF Remix are terrific, but I'd love to get the music from the original game.

Trojan X

Banned
Me too! VF3's music kicks ass!

The cool snow stage that Shinobi was talking about is in this video:

LAU vs PAI (60fps - 13megs - WMV)

No bro - Jacky's VF2 music is greater than ALL VF musics.

To be honest, right now, I'm loving VF3 more than VF4!

neptunes

I found a site that has the music to VF3(along with every VF) but I'm not sure if it's against the TOS to post the link here.

EDIT: tired >.<

Trojan X

Banned
neptunes said:
I found a site that has the music to VF3(and every VF too) but I'm not if it's against the TOS.

Huh? I don't understand your sentence bro. Please elaborate.

More VF3 videos are on the way...

Trojan X

Banned
neptunes said:
I found a site that has the music to VF3(along with every VF) but I'm not sure if it's against the TOS to post the link here.

Ah, I think I know what site you're talking about but I can't double check at the moment for I am at work and I've bookmarked the site on my home CPU.

Trojan X

Banned
They're coming! ^_^

You never thought a normal Dreamcast pad would enable you to play like that, ey?

Watch the Akira video, it shows you why I like the dodge/shift button (1minutes into the Akira vs Wolf video as example) once you use it properly, and like I said before, if there was the tap-dodge and the shift button in VF5 then you'll see some real sickening 3D fights!

Trojan X said:
Me too! VF3's music kicks ass!

The cool snow stage that Shinobi was talking about is in this video:

No bro - Jacky's VF2 music is greater than ALL VF musics.

To be honest, right now, I'm loving VF3 more than VF4!

Man. That's excellent use of the "shift" button. :)

You're really good with Lau too. I am more of a Jacky/Lion/Aoi type of guy. I hope the next VF is online so I can play against some of the people here. :)

You know what would be really interesting? Adding tag team to the next VF. I am not saying base the whole game around it, just include a mode.

Trojan X

Banned
LAU vs JACKY (60fps - 16megs - WMV)

CurseoftheMods - Thanks man, but I think there's still plenty of room for me to improve on that. I just wished that button will be reincluded in VF5 together with the tap-dodge system. At least this way you'll see so many different playing and shifting styles it will make your head go dizzy, and at least it's optional for people to us it or not.

Teknopathetic - I use one of Pinnacle's advance capturing hardwares, it cost me a bit of money but I had it for 2 years now and still love using it. My friend got a DV Recorder so that means ultimate quality all round.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
As great a game as VF4 is, my favourite times with VF are still all the 2-player matches we had of VF3tb.

Jeffahn

Trojan X said:

CurseoftheMods - Thanks man, but I think there's still plenty of room for me to improve on that. I just wished that button will be reincluded in VF5 together with the tap-dodge system. At least this way you'll see so many different playing and shifting styles it will make your head go dizzy, and at least it's optional for people to us it or not.

Teknopathetic - I use one of Pinnacle's advance capturing hardwares, it cost me a bit of money but I had it for 2 years now and still love using it. My friend got a DV Recorder so that means ultimate quality all round.

Gavin, the Lau vs Jacky is the same file as the Akira vs Wolf.

I can't wait!!! Can you imagine the level of competition?

Sadly, it will be just like with Third Strike now. We semi-hardcore players will play it now and then and think we're all that because we manage to get in the top 1000, while the real pros stay in their 100% lag free arcades in Tokyo.

VF just won't work over an internet connection if you're playing someone across the world, it's physically impossible for the signals to travel fast enough to have less than 1/60 second latency.

SaitoH

Jeffahn said:
I really miss some of that VF3 animation -the blow deflection in particular.

Yeah, but overall the animation in VF4 is lightyears better than 3. I popped in VF3 for a bit to reminisce, and while I do miss some aspects of the VF3, VF4 Evo is a much better game.

IMO of course.

^_~

Trojan X

Banned

AKIRA vs WOLF - Part 2 (60fps - 24.5meg - WMV)

AKIRA vs WOLF - (60fps - 17megs - WMV)

Ok, here are the movies so far in one post.

I believe the animation in VF4Evo and Final Tuned are allot more flamboyancy & realistic movements in comparison to VF3, this is what we needed in the series and this was one area where Tekken had the 1-up over VF.

You know, when you have a general conversation regarding the animation from both games, of course, people will say that VF4 animation has much better animation for reasons explained above, but this is not to say that VF3 does not have great animation. No disregarding of thoughts, it's perfectly understandable that when you or any one say that something is better than the other, that person who you're saying that to would naturally feel - rather than think - that the weaker something may not be as good as they think as a whole even though that is not the case. It's like VF4-Final Tuned and Tekken 5, when you hear people say that Final Tuned is much better than Tekken 5, this is not to say that Tekken 5 is sh%t, it's just simply not the better game out of the comparison even though the game is still awesome. You know what I mean...?

Trojan X

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:
Sadly, it will be just like with Third Strike now. We semi-hardcore players will play it now and then and think we're all that because we manage to get in the top 1000, while the real pros stay in their 100% lag free arcades in Tokyo.

VF just won't work over an internet connection if you're playing someone across the world, it's physically impossible for the signals to travel fast enough to have less than 1/60 second latency.

Exactly. To be honest, the way I played in those videos, there is no way I would be able to play like that online. Internet connections is simply not fast enough yet for the VF HARDCORE community whom knows that speed and recognising frames is everything.

SaitoH

Trojan X said:
Ok, here are the movies so far in one post.

I believe the animation in VF4Evo and Final Tuned are allot more flamboyancy & realistic movements in comparison to VF3, this is what we needed in the series and this was one area where Tekken had the 1-up over VF.

You know, when you have a general conversation regarding the animation from both games, of course, people will say that VF4 animation has much better animation for reasons explained above, but this is not to say that VF3 does not have great animation. No disregarding of thoughts, it's perfectly understandable that when you or any one say that something is better than the other, that person who you're saying that to would naturally feel - rather than think - that the weaker something may not be as good as they think as a whole even though that is not the case. It's like VF4-Final Tuned and Tekken 5, when you hear people say that Final Tuned is much better than Tekken 5, this is not to say that Tekken 5 is sh%t, it's just simply not the better game out of the comparison even though the game is still awesome. You know what I mean...?

o_O;;

Not a clue.

Stevek211

VF319.jpg

VF312.jpg

VF306.jpg

The graphics were always really good in these games. Definitely ahead of its time.

Shinobi

neptunes said:

Eh, post the link...take a risk. :lol Or at least send me the link via PM (guess I'm taking a risk now, heh).

Trojan X

Banned
SaitoH said:
Didn't understand what you meant.

Ah ic. Well, what I was trying to say was normally, when you hear two people debating over the qualities of VF4 and VF3, 90% of the time you'll hear them saying that VF4 is a much better game. When a third person listens to that conversation, most of the time they'll get the impression that VF3 isn't very good game that they should play or purchase, but the truth of the matter is, 'yes', VF4 is a better game but VF3 is an amazing game also but it's just VF4 got the edge - in reality you should have both games to be really happy but that's my opinion. The third person - which is practically many of us here reading conversations on this forum - always tends to have a form of empathy for when it comes to certain topics in discussion, and it's due to that empathy that they tend to lose sight of the open mind that they should attain when spectating any arguments, thus in results sometimes they get the wrong end of the stick on certain conversations, i.e. they get the wrong idea about the debator's underlying point.

E.g. number 1 - we talked about the animation of VF3 and VF4; VF3's animation is very good, solid and flow very well, but VF4 animation is better with much more flamboyancy and more closer to realism. Some people here thought from that conversation that the animation in VF3 was shit and it has been vastly improved in VF4.

E.g. number 2 - people argue over which game is more superior out of Tekken 5 and VF4-Final Tuned and 70% of the time from the hardcore gamers you'll hear they say VF4-Final Tuned is the better game, but even though they say this it doesn't mean that Tekken 5 is crap or anything like that, they're simply saying the Tekken 5 is great but VF4-Final Tuned has the edge.

You know what I mean, now...?

DCX

DCX
.hacked said:

edit:

The DC will forever be my best game system. First system i bought at launch, first system i ever imported....it was and will always be the perfect gaming console. I played the crap out of VF3: TB and Godzilla Generations. Then i got Sonic and it was on!!!

DCX

Trojan X

Banned
To tell you all the truth, I never thought Fighters Megamix was all that. Personally, when I use to play the game I set everything under VF play rules and I only stuck to VF characters; this is because I wanted the game to play more closer to VF3 and I found the game played much better because of that.

That was the only real reason why I played that game.

SickBoy

Megamix was cool because you had all the VF3 character moves involved, and I did like Fighting Vipers too, so that didn't hurt... but what I didn't like about it was that the gravity or the weights were somehow off -- you could pull off things with Virtua Fighter characters that you wouldn't be able to pull off in VF3.

Top Bottom