• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Review: Netflix & Marvel’s Iron Fist is an ill-conceived, poorly written disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

"But its worst sin is being belligerently boring"

I have no idea why people watch these shitty Netflix Marvel shows. I stopped after Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones (uggh).

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/19/14961738/iron-fist-marvel-review

On Friday, Marvel unleashed 13 episodes of the first season of Iron Fist on Netflix and upon the world — and it is the single worst thing the superhero television factory has ever created.

This series takes everything good Marvel has done, takes it on a joy ride, then returns it scratched, bruised, and smelling like patchouli and broken promises. After the 13-hour slog, I'm not angry — I'm just disappointed.

Disappointed, but not particularly surprised. After all, from concept to release, Iron Fist has been a challenge. He's not really one of Marvel's most compelling heroes. And the original source material is clunky and full of Asian stereotypes — dragons, Orientalist flourishes, and Fu Manchu facial hair.

Prior to Iron Fist's casting of Finn Jones, there was a fan movement to get Marvel to cast Danny Rand as an Asian or Asian-American man. But even if Marvel did that, and even if it managed to perfect the depictions of Asian people on this show, Iron Fist would still be awful.

Iron Fist's biggest weakness is its writing

The story of Iron Fist, a.k.a Danny Rand— a rich white man (and orphan) who learns martial/mystical arts and returns home to fight evil — isn't unlike those of Batman, Green Arrow, or Doctor Strange, putting the onus on the show to do something interesting with a well-trod narrative. The show is also the last of Marvel's core four Netflix solo series leading up to its Avengers-like team-up show, The Defenders, meaning Iron Fist is tasked with a lot of last-minute place-setting for that series. And perhaps the biggest challenge facing Iron Fist in 2017 is that the source material, written in the '70s, is rife with Orientalist stereotypes, making fans, especially those of Asian descent, wary of what Marvel would do with Iron Fist.

The bigger challenge facing the show's writers was taking the Iron Fist narrative and making it both digestible and distinct, which they've utterly failed to do. The most consistently disappointing and distracting Iron Fist element is its flat, repetitive writing. Here's how a typical Iron Fist conversation goes:

Character 1: You did [insert something that the audience just saw happen]

Character 2: I did [the thing character 1 is talking about]

Character 1: That's a bad idea that you [did that thing]

Character 2: I am this thing, that did that thing. This is what I'm feeling right now.​

Repeat that over and over, and you've basically got yourself one season of Iron Fist. On multiple occasions in any given episode, characters will just say plainly how they feel. Half of the first part of the season is Danny Rand saying ”I can explain" over and over, to the point where it begins to feel like a threat.

The clunky dialogue often creates the sense that the show doesn't trust its audience. After Danny gets into a fight at Rand HQ, the camera lingers on the head security guard. Later in the episode, the same security guard pursues Danny, to which he exclaims ”Hey, you're that security guard from earlier!" as if we'd somehow forgotten what's happened in the last 20 minutes.

But perhaps that's the thing: No character on this show seems to remember what just happened.

The fight choreography is aggressively uninteresting

When I first watched Daredevil's first season, I was taken by how the show's fight scenes had a language of their own. Each character fought differently: Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil, had an acrobatic precision to his style, which contrasted with Wilson Fisk's brutish, raw power. In the second season, the series developed this language even further, with Elektra's agile style and Punisher's brutal violence. The series' visual style reflected this dynamism, experimenting with heights and angles in fight scenes to great effect.

Sadly, there's absolutely none of that in Iron Fist.

Granted, there's also a lack of great fight choreography in Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, the two Netflix solo series preceding Iron Fist, but those two shows aren't centered on martial arts and acrobatic fighting the way Iron Fist is. The fights here look generic, to the point where if you told me they were actually footage from the '90s Power Rangers series, I would believe you.

Everyone fights the same, and no one looks interesting doing it.

Some of this can be attributed to Danny Rand's lack of mask or bandana. Thanks to Daredevil's costuming, a stuntperson could step in for actor Charlie Cox, providing the show the freedom to visually experiment. Meanwhile, Iron Fist's action sequences want to make clear that we're actually seeing Finn Jones doing some of the punching. But the drawback to that verisimilitude is that the scenes feel choppy and redundant — a style Marvel should be long past at this point. A slapdash assassin tournament midway through the season makes it especially evident how the series uses its fight scenes like a cudgel instead of a paintbrush.

Iron Fist is almost entirely without merit. Almost.

Watching the entire season of Iron Fist left me at the crossroads of fatigue and boredom. I went into this show a young, spry man. I left with rickets and a pocket full of Werther's Originals.

At multiple points, I yelled at my screen because another character told us something we just saw happen. And somewhere around episode 8, Jones's moribund performance led me to Google ”handsome actors martial arts training." (I then found myself on a Cam Gigandet Pinterest board.)

But within Iron Fist's relentless mediocrity, there are a couple of lone bright spots. They go by the names of Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) and Jeri Hogarth (Carrie-Anne Moss), both previously introduced into the Marvel-Netflix television universe in prior series. Here, they're sardonic voices of reason, pragmatic figures to help Danny Rand understand the cynicism and the way the world around him (which he's been removed from for 15 years) works.

A lot of my affection for these two comes from their constant undercutting of the people around them. Like a salty Greek chorus, Jeri and Claire repeatedly sharpen their faces and give Danny and Colleen a ”you've got to be kidding me" stare that captures all the annoyance and frustration the viewer is feeling at their antics. Or, because this is a poorly written show, sometimes they give that stare and then actually say, ”You've got to be kidding me!"

This might be the fatigue talking, but Marvel should really think about a spinoff for these two. It couldn't be any worse than the 13 hours I just watched.

The thread title could have applied to both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and to chunks of Dare Devil Season 2

XgwJFPs.jpg

What have always resubbed to Netflix when a new Marvel show comes out but Iron Fist was the first that I'm planning to put off until later. There's just so much bad word of mouth for it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thread title could have applied to both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and to chunks of Dare Devil Season 2

LionPride

Banned
Hey now, it's no Birds of Prey or Blade tv Show, but it's by far the worst thing we've had Superhero wise since 2010. Powerless gets some laughs outta me.

Hilariously, I'd put Iron Fist below them if we're counting them overall. If it's individual seasons, then that would be more difficult... I guess.

I'll take Felicity in Ray's suit over this shit

jediyoshi

I have no idea why people watch these shitty Netflix Marvel shows. I stopped after Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones (uggh).

If you don't see a distinction in quality between Daredevil S1 and this, it seems like you probably didn't need to cite a review from a source that otherwise wholly disagrees with you.

Finaj

Considering that this is probably the first thing Marvel has done that is generally considered bad is kind of incredible.

Dynomutt

Ripped directly from my brain agree with every point. It all came clear when the worst interpretation of a drunken master hits Danny with a corny ass booty bump...

This show was such a missed opportunity.

- J - D -

Good job using this article a an opportunity to take a shot at netflix marvel and its fanbase as a whole. But yes, iron fist is bad.

LionPride

Banned
Literally the only places I see so much hate for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are GAF and Reddit. Some people have an issue with Cage's second half, I liked it myself, but a lot of others don't like it period...

Aww, I liked Jessica Jones.

So did most people

He did seem like a discount Arrow, especially season 1 which was excellent.

But Colleen, Claire and Joy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Felicity, Laurel and Theo

hydruxo

Daredevil and Jessica Jones are good. I enjoyed both seasons of DD, even though Foggy is pretty insufferable a lot of the time. Luke Cage was fine up until the 2nd half.

Iron Fist is just uninspired and bland. At least the other three shows had personality, but IF is just kind of...there. It exists and that's about it.

Korey

Literally on the wrong side of history with that Jessica Jones hate

Jessica Jones was well-reviewed and was not generally considered bad.

Also, there was an entire review thread for Iron Fist like a week and a half ago. And it was closed because the OT was put up.

Not sure why you made a thread just for the Vox review other than to say you didn't understand why some people like something you don't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350780

LTTP: Marvel's Jessica Jones or when a show is longer than it should be

Shows that you binged watched, but didn't feel worth it on hindsight

LTTP: Jessica Jones AKA Am I Missing Something? (Unmarked Spoilers)

LotusHD

Banned
Consensus seems to be it's not bad enough to be entertaining, just bad enough to be insufferable.

This.

Literally the only places I see so much hate for Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are GAF and Reddit. Some people have an issue with Cage's second half, I liked it myself, but a lot of others don't like it period...

It is what it is I guess, all I know is Iron Fist is just so much worse lol

He did seem like a discount Arrow, especially season 1 which was excellent.

But Colleen, Claire and Joy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Felicity, Laurel and Theo

Why are you including Joy in that? Her and the rest of the family were just awful. Furthermore, Thea's better than her.

Aselith

At least the other three shows had personality, but IF is just kind of...there. It exists and that's about it.

Yeah for sure. They just don't seem to know what they want do with him lol

I actually kind of want a Harold show. He's the most interesting character to me

RS4-

To Jessica Jones where Dr Who is involved, Diamondback showing up, and anything non-Punisher.

And it's still better than IF. Ok, the Diamondback stuff is a tossup

LionPride

Banned
This.

It is what it is I guess, all I know is Iron Fist is just so much worse lol

Why are you including Joy in that? Her and the rest of the family were just awful. Furthermore, Thea's better than her.

Thea Queen is like Sally from Mad Men, she just calls Oliver out on all of his bullshit.

Iron Fist isn't even just disappointing, it's garbage

Qvoth

I've watched up to episode 4, yeah it's a bit slow
Fight scenes are quite lame too compared to daredevil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom