• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Review: Netflix & Marvel’s Iron Fist is an ill-conceived, poorly written disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Iron Fist was the one show I was rooting for.

As someone who found both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones to be basically awful, I'm not even going to bother, which is such a shame.

Daredevil has been the only kinda alright show, and even then I thought only parts of it were ok.

UKUMI0

Subjectively I thought it was a good show, better pacing then some of Jessica Jones and most of Luke Cage. I'd be more likely to watch this again then Luke Cage.

Objectively I can see why people have problems with it (except with Danny Rand being a white male) so I can accept that it possibly won't win any awards.

Ultimately I don't care what others think, I enjoyed it and that's all that matters to me. I don't need others to agree with me for validation.

LionPride

Banned
This pic says it all lol:

_28f6f3b4-0aef-11e7-814d-775bded0c5ff.jpg

The black guy really looking like "What the hell is the fool doing"

ZeoVGM

Banned

Linking to random people on GAF who dislike Jessica Jones does not help your case.

Seriously, your response to Jessica Jones having an 81 on Metacritic is, "But someone on a forum agrees with my opinion!"

Jessica Jones gets a lot of hate on GAF but that is the outlier. If your opinion is that Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones are bad shows, you are in the minority.

And that's totally fine. I thought GTA4 was a bad game. But making a thread just to push your own fairly obvious agenda with this idea of, "I simply don't understand why people like these well-reviewed TV shows because I don't!" is a bit fraudulent.

Ripped directly from my brain agree with every point. It all came clear when the worst interpretation of a drunken master hits Danny with a corny ass booty bump...

This show was such a missed opportunity.

Oh that scene was so bad. Drunken master is my favorite movie so I was furious at the choreography.

Its a combo of bad writing, bad direction and editing and bad casting/acting.

Fixing a single one probably wouldn't fix the show.

But the Marvel Netflix shows suffer from all that as time went on. It was only a matter of time before a real stinker was let out.

Heck I think if it wasnt for David Tennent carrying the show on his back, Jessica Jones would have gotten a similar erection.

Yeah it was pretty bad. I was expecting it to better or be at least as good as Jessica Jones, but it turned out to be the worst. Was disappointed, but still entertained enough to binge watch. I think many "fans" are pretty outraged right now, but this reception from them seems standard to any superhero stuff released these days.

ibyea

Banned
This pic says it all lol:

_28f6f3b4-0aef-11e7-814d-775bded0c5ff.jpg

As someone who has a dad who is a legit martial artist, the lack of form and grace he had to his movement really had me in stitches.

Plus, in his fights, Danny Rand pulls off punches that I expect from beginner students.

gdt

It's unfair to take the bad reviews for this and apply them to the whole Netflix marvel catalog lol

The other three shows have been good to great imo.

LionPride

Banned
Linking to random people on GAF who dislike Jessica Jones does not help your case.

Seriously, your response to Jessica Jones having an 81 on Metacritic is, "But someone on a forum agrees with my opinion!"

Jessica Jones gets a lot of hate on GAF but that is the outlier. If your opinion is that Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones are bad shows, you are in the minority.

And that's totally fine. I thought GTA4 was a bad game. But making a thread just to push your own fairly obvious agenda with this idea of, "I simply don't understand why people like these well-reviewed TV shows because I don't!" is a bit fraudulent.
Preach, I may shit up the DCEU thread sometimes, but I don't make outside threads asking why do some people like Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad.

JJ and LC are very well received, people on GAF are the overwhelming minority

I'm kind of glad the show is getting savaged. Hopefully they'll shake things up for the inevitable season 2 due to these reviews, because I want to like Iron Fist. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, done right.

ZeoVGM

Banned
saying that Iron Fist is not a compelling hero is just objectively wrong.

From what I've seen so far, it's certainly bad.

But when the critic says that Iron Fist -- the comic character -- is not compelling, there's a clear bias there. It's hard to see how anyone who actually knows the character can say that.

And when they also speak in nonsense hyperbole such as "it is the single worst thing the superhero television factory has ever created," it's simply hard to take the critic seriously at all.

No, Iron Fist is not a good show. But no, it's not nearly as bad as Birds of Prey. Or seasons 4 and 7 of Smallville. Or The Cape. Or most of Lois & Clark. I could make a list, really.

LionPride

Banned
Any Arrowverse character could smack down any Marvel Netflix character

Does Iron Fist even flip

Season 1 Oliver would murder Daredevil or Fist, Bloodthirsty Thea is Bloodthirsty, Roy would flip Iron Fist to death, Laurel would break necks, so would Sara all the while seducing Colleen, Barry would somehow lose tho

Any Arrowverse character could smack down any Marvel Netflix character

Does Iron Fist even flip

I dunno, he probably has Roy beat

zdmyyVH.gif

They honestly should have went with a costume. Why they didn't makes no sense to me. Hopefully the showrunner gets the boot from this.

THIS! Plus, it would have served the double purpose of actually letting them have a stunt double who could do the fights justice like in DD

Alienfan

Jessica Jones was the only good season of Marvel Netflix. The rest have been dumpster fires, but whatever, they probably bring in a ton of subscribers and help fund the better Netflix programming

gdt

Basically, fuuuck Scott Buck. We all knew it was gonna be shit soon as he was announced as show runner

ZeroX03

Banned
Season 1 Oliver would murder Daredevil or Fist, Bloodthirsty Thea is Bloodthirsty, Roy would flip Iron Fist to death, Laurel would break necks, so would Sara all the while seducing Colleen, Barry would somehow lose tho

Felicity has killed tens of thousands of people

LotusHD

Banned
Also Danny is legit the dumbest superhero protagonist I've seen in awhile outside of Barry. There's so many examples, but regarding Ep. 13 spoilers
Why did it take the entire show for him to realize that Harold was a bad guy?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
does episode 13 end with him revealing that he lied about having martial arts training.

He got a nasty bump on his head in the plain crash and wasn't in the Himalayas studying with super powered monks but actually in a strip mall in the suburbs at a Tiger Schulman's Karate class.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Basically, fuuuck Scott Buck. We all knew it was gonna be shit soon as he was announced as show runner

I'm so damn worried about Inhumans now.

Hopefully Marvel is tightening their grip on that show after seeing the Iron Fist reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom