• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Did you even look at the link? That's an old page. I have an X90J. It got the firmware update for the PS5 auto tone mapping about a month ago. Look at that page, there is nothing talking about VRR there. It's all about the auto-settings Bravia's have for the PS5. The January 2022 date was them covering their ass. The update is already out. If you have one of the 2021 TVs, and update it, the next time you turn on your PS5 it'll detect the settings and auto-configure the HDR.

Do you even have one of these Bravias or a PS5 or are you just console warring?

I've checked it and you're right, it's an old page. It was posted on an other message board and I thought they knew what they were referencing :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Anyway if you don't think Vincent is reliable and he's just speculating, just wait for an official PR.
In any case since they have a new line of TVs with VRR at launch it seems that they have sorted out the issues that plagued previous TVs.

ManaByte

I've checked it and you're right, it's an old page. It was posted on an other message board and I thought they knew what they were referencing :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Anyway if you don't think Vincent is reliable and he's just speculating, just wait for an official PR.
In any case since they have a new line of TVs with VRR at launch it seems that they have sorted out the issues that plagued previous TVs.

I'll believe it's happening not when the VRR update is out for Sony TVs, because two of the TVs already got the VRR update, but when there's confirmation they're able to increase the bandwidth on the PS5 HDMI port to support it correctly. We ALREADY have two Sony TVs on the market with VRR support. Yet no real concrete confirmation on the console outside of speculation.

ethomaz

Banned
We can't trust Devs to release finished games and you expect locked framerates 😂

We've even through this a hundred times the number of locked 120fps games especially on console you can count on one hand.
So instead to ask devs for better games you keep the same narrative that brought us Cyberpunk, Battlefield, etc etc.

Seems like for you devs focusing in delivery an optimized product is just a bad thing lol

Last edited:
Not better than you know have solid framerate.
It is a bandaid feature… you need it when you are already hurt… when you are good you don’t need it.

Of course after PS5 get it you will no more make it like a god send feature better than what it is made for 👍
Unfortunate having to rely on VRR but that seems to be the reality with games these days. For example BF2042 is awful on PS5 compared to Series X. It would fix problems the devs aren’t going to fix.

Took them long enough. Hope it doesn't have issues and they also include support for 1440p soon

At this point unfortunately I guess they won't be able to do anything about the HDMI 2.1 port bandwidth being limited to 32GB compared to XSX's 40GB and GPU's 48GB

if it's only 32Gb/s then that's a worry cause it would suggest that Sony don't plan to fully implement all HDMI 2.1 features. 40Gb/s is enough for 4K 120Hz HDR so the XSX will be fine. What this probably means is that the PS5 will only be able to do 4K 120hz without HDR or 4K 60Hz with HDR.

ethomaz

Banned
Well you stop buying games until every game has a locked framerate and let the rest of us carry on and use VRR.
It is a better way to tell the industry your money matters.

Sadly to see guys like you defending the need of a bandaid feature in a fixed hardware where the developer has complete control of what he is delivering (it is not dependent of what hardware combination the end user has).

Last edited:
no and no.

it doesn't degrade image quality and VRR is basically the GPU and monitor talking to each other.

without VRR think of it like this:

monitor: i am 60hz and that's all i will do
gpu: but i can only do 40fps.
monitor: i am 60hz and that's all i will do! enjoy your stuttering/input lag.

with VRR think of it like this:

monitor: i am 60hz!
gpu: ok but i can only do 40fps
monitor: ok then i will lower to 40hz for you.
gpu: thanks, ok now i can maybe manage 45fps
monitor: i will do 45hz now.
Lol, what a fantastic explanation!

GHG

Ive already got a PS5, had one ages.

I'll be talking about all the apologies and backpedalling when people realise what a great feature it is.

More like people are going to realise for themselves how much of a fraud you are considering the limited application it has for consoles (along with the fact that a lot of TV's shit the bed when it's enabled).

Fredrik

I'll believe it's happening not when the VRR update is out for Sony TVs, because two of the TVs already got the VRR update, but when there's confirmation they're able to increase the bandwidth on the PS5 HDMI port to support it correctly. We ALREADY have two Sony TVs on the market with VRR support. Yet no real concrete confirmation on the console outside of speculation.
Increase the bandwidth?? Isn’t it standard 48gbps for HDMI 2.1?

It is a bandaid feature on PC… it was created for that.

You try to setup your game for your target framerate… if you don’t reach there you use Adaptive Sync.

And in PC that is heavy variable hardware wise it is a useful bandaid… not so much in a fixed hardware where the games should be delivered with constant framerate.

you do know that even consoles don't always maintain their framerate right?

think of all the games that are capped at 60fps on console but still drop to 55, 50, or 40fps. that's what VRR is designed to fix. if the framerate drops then the monitor/tv adjusts to match it.

unless you actually enjoy stuttering, input lag, screen tearing then VRR is a welcome addition. imo, all displays should have support for VRR. it's really that good.

Riky

$MSFT
More like people are going to realise for themselves how much of a fraud you are considering the limited application it has for consoles (along with the fact that a lot of TV's shit the bed when it's enabled).

I'm a fraud for enjoying getting rid of screen tearing and judder 🤣

Exposed yourself as bitter fanboy because I've been having a better experience than you, just check the VRR box when it comes and enjoy...you can PM me the apology.

Imtjnotu

I wonder if anyone realizes that the December rumor was never actually real or credible.
samuel l jackson idgaf GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

We want our December VRR update.

Need to taste that glory that Riky drinks

kyliethicc

Title is probably a bit misleading.
New TVs are out in spring (traditionally) but about the VRR firmware support Vincent just states it's imminent.
He says the TVs will launch with VRR coinciding with a PS5 firmware update.

Coinciding implies both will happen around the same time. And we know these TVs will launch around March-April.

GHG

I'm a fraud for enjoying getting rid of screen tearing and judder 🤣

Exposed yourself as bitter fanboy because I've been having a better experience than you, just check the VRR box when it comes and enjoy...you can PM me the apology.

Don't cry.

I have 2 VRR capable displays that I use on my PC's. It's worth it's weight in gold on PC when you can't be asked to optimise settings for a particular framerate target (or if the game is just a shit port and will run inconsistently regardless).

Other than some edge case scenarios, most console games run at a particular framerate target with vsync enabled. VRR does fuck all most of the time.

The only time it's useful on console are times when the developers haven't done their jobs properly and failed to properly hit a particular framerate target. As far as consoles go it's nothing more than a crutch considering you have zero autonomy on how you want to run your games. VRR or no VRR sub 30 fps is still sub 30fps, sub 60fps is still sub 60fps and sub 120fps is sub 120fps.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Don't cry.

I have 2 VRR capable displays that I use on my PC's. It's worth it's weight in gold on PC when you can't be asked to optimise settings for a particular framerate target (or if the game is just a shit port and will run inconsistently regardless).

Other than some edge case scenarios, most console games run at a particular framerate target with vsync enabled. VRR does fuck all most of the time.

The only time it's useful on console are times when the developers haven't done their jobs properly and failed to properly hit a particular framerate target. As far as consoles go it's nothing more than a crutch considering you have zero autonomy on how you want to run your games. VRR or no VRR sub 30 fps is still sub 30fps, sub 60fps is still sub 60fps and sub 120fps is sub 120fps.

Don't turn it on then if you don't agree with it, I couldn't care less what you do
I'm downloading an example today with Dirt 5 where the framerate goes from 120fps into the eighties, you can bitch about developers but in the real world not many games have totally locked framerates, in fact hardly any do. So I'll be quite happy playing Dirt 5 with VRR on and you enjoy the judder.

Obviously Sony agree with me or they wouldn't be bringing the feature to PS5, why don't you contact them and tell them they are wrong and Devs should lock all framerates.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Right now the PS5 HDMI port is capped at 32gbps.

Do we know why they would do that? Does the hardware itself support the full bandwidth needed?

Imagine if the end result of all of this is that you have to buy a revised PS5 model to get full 2.1 functionality... There would be class-action lawsuits as far as the eye can see. Well, in the US. Here in Europe I think they would be forced to simply replace everyone's PS5, since they have sold it on the promise of VRR becoming available in an update (it's been in official FAQs since before it was launched).

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

We can't trust Devs to release finished games and you expect locked framerates 😂

We've even through this a hundred times the number of locked 120fps games especially on console you can count on one hand.
Not better than you know have solid framerate.
It is a bandaid feature… you need it when you are already hurt… when you are good you don’t need it.

Of course after PS5 get it you will no more make it like a god send feature better than what it is made for 👍

Yeah solid fps>VRR
These are consoles not un-optimized PC's.

We don't need to give these devs a reason to get lazy with programming and use VRR as a crutch.

Don't turn it on then if you don't agree with it, I couldn't care less what you do
I'm downloading an example today with Dirt 5 where the framerate goes from 120fps into the eighties, you can bitch about developers but in the real world not many games have totally locked framerates, in fact hardly any do. So I'll be quite happy playing Dirt 5 with VRR on and you enjoy the judder.

Obviously Sony agree with me or they wouldn't be bringing the feature to PS5, why don't you contact them and tell them they are wrong and Devs should lock all framerates.
Certain people act like games are movies, where you can exactly control the framerate as you want. Turns out games are dynamic, which means the performance impact is dynamic too, which means framerate will never be perfect throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

Elios83

He says the TVs will launch with VRR coinciding with a PS5 firmware update.

Coinciding implies both will happen around the same time. And we know these TVs will launch around March-April.
"VRR at launch coinciding with the imminent arrival of VRR on PS5 following a firmware update"

The wording is a bit unclear but spring in not exactly imminent. My take on it was that coinciding is in the sense of immediatly being able to take advantage of.
But we'll see obviously nothing is set in stone until official.

Lognor

Banned
Only 6 months late (maybe). I'm not holding my breath. And what about the 2021 sets? Is VRR still coming to those? I hope we have all learned a lesson. Don't buy a Sony tv where promised features are not there at launch.

FritzJ92

I. Guess now that December is gone, might as well pick a new ambiguous date for a feature never confirmed coming.

tommib

If this means the end of Digital Foundry frame drop graphs, I’m all for it. The less fuel for console warring, the better.

Fredrik

Right now the PS5 HDMI port is capped at 32gbps.
It is not standard… it is optional… there is just a minimum.
Okay and they can increase the bandwidth through software? If not, can’t they just keep it at 32gbps and shave off some other feature through a video option to activate vrr? I have an old HDMI 2.0 TV but can still play at 120hz if I’m okay with 1080p and no HDR.

Fredrik

If this means the end of Digital Foundry frame drop graphs, I’m all for it. The less fuel for console warring, the better.
Yup it’ll go away, it’s only of theoretical interest to know the framerate on a PC using gsync, I wouldn’t have a clue if a game ran at 65 or 85fps without looking at the counter in the corner, everything looks smooth as butter.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is it true that VRR degrades the image quality? Do games need to be patched for VRR support? I know nothing about this.
That's related to current OLED displays, nothing to with degraded quality from console or while displayed on LCD.

Lognor

Banned
I. Guess now that December is gone, might as well pick a new ambiguous date for a feature never confirmed coming.
Wait. Never confirmed coming to the PS5? That can't be right.

It was promised for certain 2021 tvs, but here we are a year later and it still hasn't arrived. I don't think Sony can backpedal on that now. It would be false advertising. It might be a shit implementation, but I'm sure it's coming...at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom