• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Seems to run anywhere from 80-100fps on performance RT during city traversal. I'm actually surprised at just how much overhead there was here wow. I wish we could know exactly what resolution its running at.

I called it. It felt way smoother than 60 fps. I thought it felt like 120 fps but i will take 100 with vrr.

This is brilliant tbh. I have been bitching about PS5 not being maxed out since launch. All these capped framerates were clearly keeping the PS5 from hitting their full potential. Im like if the PS4 can do 1080p 30 fps with 1.8 tflops then the 10 tflops RDNA 2.0 GPU with 1.5x IPC performance gains should offer 15 PS4 tflops of performance, and now we are finally seeing that in Spiderman. I believe Death Stranding was the only game that had an unlocked native 4k mode and it would routinely hit 60 fps with drops only in particle heavy cutscenes. Kojima once again, ahead of his time.

ND needs to release unlocked framerate modes for Uncharted now. There is no way PS5 can only do native 4k at 30 fps for a 1080p 30 fps PS4 game. I bet its in the mid 40s at the very least.

Lets hope BP also releases an unlocked framerate mode for Demon Souls for the native 4k version or a 1800p 40 fps mode.

From my tests spiderman remaster works as intended in performance mode at 100 fps.Fidelity mode at 120hz has no difference with VRR on or off.Sadly Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't work with VRR.I can see the fps drops in the market area as before without vrr even though my lg c1 counter shows 60fps.Also Returnal doesn't work at all with vrr same situation with CP 2077.

VRR on my PS5 only supports 48-120 fps. So its possible this is just an issue with Horizon.

Have we confirmed if this works in GT7? One game isnt proof. Could just be that GG messed up.

EDIT: Looks like Elden Rings works without the patch in 60 hz mode.

HmA1ILj.jpg
GT7 doesn't work. I tried in both RT/Performance mode and closed the game, but it still says 60hz on the PS5s video output info and not VRR 48-60hz

Why is this game working with VRR but not other 60hz games like horizon forbidden west? 🤔

Was there a VRR patch update for it or something ?

HFW already runs at locked framerates, so you can still enable it but won't see any difference. A patch, instead, could unlock framerate while using vrr and go for higher framerates. This is what Ratched and Spiderman did

Elios83

It seems like it from the video because he said vrr wsnt working in 60hz games he tested, but maybe he screwed something on his end.

I'll just wait for a second opinion or confirmation from digital foundry

You just posted a bullshit video, that is all.
If frame rate is locked you're not going to benefit from VRR.
VRR has sense with "60 fps" games with frame rate actually fluctuating between 48 and 60fps.
Or with games at "120 fps" fluctuating in the 100-120 range.

Last edited:

RydarGaf

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is getting an update, not sure if it'll be the same as Spider-Man though.

This you?
Why you cherry picking what I said?

"32gbps isn't enough to do 4K/120hz with 10-bit HDR enabled without resorting to chroma subsampling."

That's how my post started. GameTech videos have confirmed my pov because Hass the VRR information box shows on his videos, it's subsampled chroma down to 8BiT color depth over 422. That's a huge drop from RGB 12Bit PS5 has when in 60hz mode. So yes I atill believe the 32gb limit has something to do with the VRR delay on PS5.

However, I acknowledge I need to wait for more game testing on non vrr- patched games too see what is really happening.

Mr Moose

"32gbps isn't enough to do 4K/120hz with 10-bit HDR enabled without resorting to chroma subsampling."

That's how my post started. GameTech videos have confirmed my pov because Hass the VRR information box shows on his videos, it's subsampled chroma down to 8BiT color depth over 422. That's a huge drop from RGB 12Bit PS5 has when in 60hz mode. So yes I atill believe the 32gb limit has something to do with the VRR delay on PS5.

However, I acknowledge I need to wait for more game testing on non vrr- patched games too see what is really happening.
Because the rest wasn't about VRR, that part was. Thought that was obvious.
So therefor stuck without VRR on PS5 console😐

RydarGaf

Because the rest wasn't about VRR, that part was. Thought that was obvious.
All of my post was about VRR. The issue is can PS5 get VRR working with 120hz display enabled without taking big hit to color depth.

Did that factor into their reasoning for delaying VRR support on PS5?

Who knows🤷🏽‍♂️

Elios83

That's not my video and I don't think its BS. I think there is a good chance that the games he tested so far probably don't support VRR in any compacity.
He's only talking about Horizon not "games".

And you even commented on his video (I guess you are RydarPlays) claiming that VRR doesn't work on PS5 unless the games are patched.
That is totally false since Elden Ring totally works and benefits from it.

So either you're in bad faith or you're totally misinformed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GT7 doesn't work. I tried in both RT/Performance mode and closed the game, but it still says 60hz on the PS5s video output info and not VRR 48-60hz
FFS. These are Sony's first party studios in active development releasing weekly patches. How are they not ready for this long awaited update? I mean how do you get beaten by From Software on a technical feature.

Insomniac releeased this games almost 2 years ago and they were ready on Day 1. Ted Price needs to be made head of Sony WW Studios. Herman needs to be shown the door. Insomniac is more productive, more technically savvy, and just simply on the ball atm. They are embarrassing other Sony studios with their incredible technical prowess.

Mr Moose

All of my post was about VRR. The issue is can PS5 get VRR working with 120hz display enabled without taking big hit to color depth.

Did that factor into their reasoning for delaying VRR support on PS5?

Who knows🤷🏽‍♂️
It's because of their TVs, they only recently received working VRR on them, which sucked for consumers with other TVs that have it.
Fuck, I'm dumb and thought this was the same as GSync and Freesync. Im guessing those will never come to PS5 at this rate.
Tried my monitor, says VRR not supported :messenger_crying:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah.

VRR doesn't boost performance. It's not increasing your FPS, just potentially making a game smoother.

Dying Light 2 specifically patched in the ability to unlock FPS if it detects a VRR display when running the game in it's Performance mode.

Hence they added a Balanced mode that increases resolution but locks the game to 60hz.

VRR itself doesn't unlock frame rate, the developer has to patch the ability in.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Nah.

VRR doesn't boost performance. It's not increasing your FPS, just potentially making a game smoother.
he means that you're no longer bound to 30 fps/60 fps v-sync frame limits. you can freely uncap the frame limit without any judder, tear or issue

so it does not directly boost performance but it creates suitable environment to uncap the framerate. without VRR, getting 70-100 fps on a 144 hz screen can create heavy judder affect that ruin the experience (vsync), can tear (no vsync)

at least that's how i perceived his logic. maybe im wrong, dunno

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
FFS. These are Sony's first party studios in active development releasing weekly patches. How are they not ready for this long awaited update? I mean how do you get beaten by From Software on a technical feature.

Insomniac releeased this games almost 2 years ago and they were ready on Day 1. Ted Price needs to be made head of Sony WW Studios. Herman needs to be shown the door. Insomniac is more productive, more technically savvy, and just simply on the ball atm. They are embarrassing other Sony studios with their incredible technical prowess.
drama GIF

Hezekiah

Banned
he means that you're no longer bound to 30 fps/60 fps v-sync frame limits. you can freely uncap the frame limit without any judder, tear or issue

so it does not boost performance but it creates suitable environment to uncap the framerate. without VRR, getting 70-100 fps on a 144 hz screen can create heavy judder affect that ruin the experience (vsync), can tear (no vsync)

at least that's how i perceived his logic. maybe im wrong, dunno
Yes I know what it does, I've had a G-Sync monitor for years. My original point was that some people bizarrely seem to think that VRR boosts performance which it doesn't no matter what anyone says. It just makes thinks smoother.

Venuspower

That's how my post started. GameTech videos have confirmed my pov because Hass the VRR information box shows on his videos, it's subsampled chroma down to 8BiT color depth over 422.

Yes and no.
Yes, PS5 is indeed using 422 Chroma Subsampling for 120 Hz.
No, PS5 is still using 12 Bit. This is also the reason why PS5 has to drop color resolution.

TVs are reporting a 12 Bit stream as 8 Bit. This is because the 12 Bit signal is put into a 8 Bit container. Because of that the TV is not able to tell if it is a 12 Bit Signal or not. For that reason Dolby Vision streams are also reported as 8 Bit signal, even though DV is 12 Bit (at least most of the time). So yea. No need to worry.

So yes I atill believe the 32gb limit has something to do with the VRR delay on PS5.

No. The 32 Gbps limit is simply there because of the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter chip the PS5 is using. Since DP 1.4 is limited to 32 Gbps PS5 cannot provide a higher bandwidth. Unless Sony is somehow able to overclock this chip later on. Which is highly unlikely. VRR just took longer because Soon Only Not Yet (if you get what I mean).

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Why lie?

If you play on a non VRR set you are capped at 60fps, if you play on a VRR set you get 80-120fps, that's a fact.
You get a performance boost with VRR as it enables the Dev to unlock the framerate.
Do you need VRR to have an unlocked frame rate?

Stop trying to bullshit about VRR and make it something that it isn't.

It can make games smoother. That it's. Simple.

Last edited:

nowhat

When I got a PS5, one of the first games I tried was DMC 5, since it had a 120 Hz option. And... it sucked balls. Not in a pleasant way. It felt terrible.

Happy to report that with VRR enabled, it feels great. Guess I'll be replaying the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why lie?

If you play on a non VRR set you are capped at 60fps, if you play on a VRR set you get 80-120fps, that's a fact.
You get a performance boost with VRR as it enables the Dev to unlock the framerate.
You get that same "boost" without VRR with unlocked framerates :rolleyes:

You just have to suffer with the possibility for tearing on fixed displays.

Last edited:

intbal

I would be interested in hearing from any PS5 owners that have the Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning remaster.
It's a native 4k/60hz game. While the game does function properly with VRR on Xbox, it can occasionally "misfire" and get stuck turned off until you reload a save. I've not seen this behavior in any other game.
If you have it, and have significant progress in the game, the Idylla Sewers is a good place to try to induce this behavior.

Neo_game

I am not sure running unlocked mode wen nothing on screen and at extremely higher fps makes much difference. Looking at a sky at 60fps or 100fps is not too important I think. Though in fluctuating scenario when the game is running much worse than the intended capped fps. That is where VRR can come into play. This is a nice feature but devs should optimize their code especially for capped fps mode.

Riky

$MSFT

Yes, because the unlocked framerate only enables on Dying Light 2 when it detects a VRR display.

So yes you NEED VRR to get that feature on the game I stated, simple.

yamaci17

I am not sure running unlocked mode wen nothing on screen and at extremely higher fps makes much difference. Looking at a sky at 60fps or 100fps is not too important I think. Though in fluctuating scenario when the game is running much worse than the intended capped fps. That is where VRR can come into play. This is a nice feature but devs should optimize their code especially for capped fps mode.
I do agree that VRR should be used to utilize potential hardware power above 60 FPS instead of band aiding bad optimized titles that lingers between 45-60 FPS.

Rock solid 60 FPS experience SHOULD be standard. these devs complained about bad CPUs on ps4/xbox one for years and used them as a scapegoat... now they have the full power of 8 core/16 thread zen 2 architecture with respectably high clocks. I cannot believe that some games still fail to match a consistent 60 FPS experience.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Bruh, possibility is putting it mildly. Let alone the massive judders you'll notice in response and what's happening on screen.

If a dev is unlocking the frame rate to target 120, it'd either better be very close to 120 at all times or the user should have VRR if it's fluctuating between 80~120.

Not in all cases, but some games specifically patched in support to do that.

Flight Sim, Dying Light 2.

These games (may be more) unlock frame rate if a VRR display is detected.

There's like digital foundry videos about it, not sure why this is surprising to you.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned

The funny thing is that he knows this but refuses to admit it.

Rather than focus on tearing and juddering, he wants to pretend VRR boosts performance, and unfortunately some the less technically-minded come away thinking just that.

And he's got the nerve to talk about lies 😁

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The funny thing is that he knows this but refuses to admit it.

Rather than focus on tearing and juddering, he wants to pretend VRR boosts performance, and unfortunately some the less technically-minded come away thinking just that.

All he's got the nerve to talk about lies 😁
You started this argument when I said you got extra performance on Dying Light 2 on Series X, you need a VRR display for that mode. So quit lying.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bruh, possibility is putting it mildly. Let alone the massive judders you'll notice in response and what's happening on screen.

If a dev is unlocking the frame rate to target 120, it'd either better be very close to 120 at all times or the user should have VRR if it's fluctuating between 80~120.
You only get tearing if the framerate exceeds the refresh rate. So if a game never reaches 121+, you won't get tearing.

Yes, you can have other hiccups and the like, which is why I don't prefer unlocked framerates, but rock solid and locked.

VRR does not "boost performance" no matter the mental gymnastics around it. It makes the end user experience better with unlocked than without it, but performance boosting, it does not.

Last edited:

yamaci17

there's no need of VRR to enable uncapped framerates. R6 siege allows users to disable vsync to get all frames you can get on all console systems;

its a matter of dev choice. if u ask me, every game should provide users to disable v-sync like this one does. but sadly that's not a thing we usually see on console releases.

extra video

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned

Not in all cases, but some games specifically patched in support to do that.

Flight Sim, Dying Light 2.

These games (may be more) unlock frame rate if a VRR display is detected.

There's like digital foundry videos about it, not sure why this is surprising to you.
They didn't need to patch in support for it though did they.

VRR doesn't boost performance. Maybe this is a surprise to you 😅

adamsapple

You only get tearing if the framerate exceeds the refresh rate. So if a game never reaches 121+, you won't get tearing.

Yes, you can have other hiccups and the like, which is why I don't prefer unlocked framerates, but rock solid and locked.

VRR does not "boost performance" no matter the mental gymnastics around it. It makes the end user experience better with unlocked than without it, but performance boosting, it does not.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that.

Riky is just using the Dying Light 2 example, where the game *does* unlock frame rate in the Performance mode if a VRR display is detected.

They didn't need to patch in support for it though did they.

VRR doesn't boost performance. Maybe this is a surprise to you 😅

I'm talking about the ability to unlock frame rate if a VRR display is detected, that's what required updates to the game.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
there's no need of VRR to enable uncapped framerates. R6 siege allows users to disable vsync to get all frames you can get on all console systems;

its a matter of dev choice. if u ask me, every game should provide users to disable v-sync like this one does. but sadly that's not a thing we usually see on console releases.

Yeah exactly this.

A lot of people are cognisant of what it can do, without all the bullshit some people are throwing around.

Banned
PSA: I am happy to confirm VRR WORKS ON SAMSUNG FREESYNC HDMI 2.0 TVs!!!

Spider-Man remaster at 90fps IS FUCKING AMAZING... holy crap! it feels so much better to play, simply rotating the camera feels so much more responsive at 90fps

the fidelity mode is very unstable tho, it goes from 60fps down to 40fps REALLY rapidly at times. so if you don't set that to 120hz I think you will have a bad time as even with 120hz, where thanks to low framerate compensation, my TV supports VRR down to 24fps, it still feels kinda juddery at times.

for me that mode is out of the question anyways since the console doesn't support 1440p and so I would be forced to play at 1080p, at which point I might as well just play in performance RT mode

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PSA: I am happy to confirm VRR WORKS ON SAMSUNG FREESYNC HDMI 2.0 TVs!!!

Spider-Man remaster at 90fps IS FUCKING AMAZING... holy crap! it feels so much better to play, simply rotating the camera feels so much more responsive at 90fps

the fidelity mode is very unstable tho, it goes from 60fps down to 40fps REALLY rapidly at times. so if you don't set that to 120hz I think you will have a bad time as even with 120hz, where thanks to low framerate compensation, my TV supports VRR down to 24fps, it still feels kinda juddery at times.

for me that mode is out of the question anyways since the console doesn't support 1440p and so I would be forced to play at 1080p, at which point I might as well just play in performance RT mode
Nice.

Look forward to a comprehensive list of working TV/monitors maybe we should start a thread here on it once more people get testing

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

There is no 12bit panel out there. So in reality it’s 10bit -> 8bit.

adamsapple

Then why the mental gymnastics arguing around it?

Just agree that it doesn't, case closed. 🤡

Can't agree to something no one's saying in the first place ?

Why y'all keep ignoring the examples (DL2 and Flight Sim) being used which specifically have the ability to unlock frame rate if a VRR display is detected ?

🤡

Hezekiah

Banned
They did patch it as Dying Light 2 didn't support the mode at launch.
You can skirt around the issue all you want, but as I and others have pointed out here, VRR doesn't boost performance.

You can't bullshit your way out of that no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can't agree to something no one's saying in the first place ?

Why y'all keep ignoring the examples (DL2 and Flight Sim) being used which specifically have the ability to unlock frame rate if a VRR display is detected ?

🤡
Why lie?

200.gif

VRR doesn't enable the dev to unlock the framerate... the dev just unlocks the framerate.

I even tweeted the Livelock dev asking them to add vsync back on the PS4 several years ago due to the unlocked framerate and tearing it displayed. They said they couldn't because it would be too much of a performance hit... slackers.

Don't need VRR to unlock framerates. Word sentences properly, language has meaning in comprehensive discourse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom