• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

DJ12

Any Samsung buddies got any tips for this.

I've forced VRR to apply to everything. I have HDMI 2.1 cables (The very same ones Vincent tested and verified 2 years ago) and no issues with 120hz mode.

Still cannot get it to activate VRR though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
But outside of the games that take a stranger option to frame rate why would a patch be needed?
A shortlist of examples that can break compatibility with VRR:
- Game soft-locks to framerate without the use of VSync.
- Game uses adaptive VSync below target framerate (so anytime VRR should kick in, game ignores VSync).
- Game uses soft-lock AND VSync (you'd be surprised)
- Game soft-locks to some divider of VSync (30fps games for instance)
- Game implements its own swap-chain via hardware interrupts (this will be 'rare' - but it's possible on consoles, and it has substantial performance potential benefits over traditional systems).

There's likely more - but just to illustrate that just because VRR handshake is supported on hw - the software isn't automagically compliant with it. On PC a lot of that can be troubleshot via user/driver overrides (and some more exotic optimizations are basically impossible on PC), on console you will usually need patches. And even on PC - if you go for more-wild west of the older games, VRR will start to get spotty too, I have little doubt.

And as you speculated already - the patches can enable additional benefits working 'with' VRR (like disabling framerate limiters alltogether etc.), so it's also a potential improvement.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any Samsung buddies got any tips for this.

I've forced VRR to apply to everything. I have HDMI 2.1 cables (The very same ones Vincent tested and verified 2 years ago) and no issues with 120hz mode.

Still cannot get it to activate VRR though.
Is it possible that your samsung tv's info is incorrect? I mean you are getting 82 FPS in the 120 fps mode which can only be activated if the PS5 detects a vrr display.

I installed the Spiderman patch last night before enabling VRR and i was only getting 60 fps in the performnace modes. It wasnt until i enabled VRR this morning did my framerate go beyond 60 fps.

Try turning off vrr in system settings and see if your fps goes to 60 fps. It could just be the tv information screen messing up and you are getting vrr.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Seems to run anywhere from 80-100fps on performance RT during city traversal. I'm actually surprised at just how much overhead there was here wow. I wish we could know exactly what resolution its running at.

This is what its always been about. You waste extra performance overhead trying to lock a game to a particular framerate. Its something I hated dealing with on PC tuning settings until I got a gsync/freesync/vrr capable display.

Last edited:

yamaci17

A shortlist of examples that can break compatibility with VRR:
- Game soft-locks to framerate without the use of VSync.
- Game uses adaptive VSync below target framerate (so anytime VRR should kick in, game ignores VSync).
- Game uses soft-lock AND VSync (you'd be surprised)
- Game soft-locks to some divider of VSync (30fps games for instance)
- Game implements its own swap-chain via hardware interrupts (this will be 'rare' - but it's possible on consoles, and it has substantial performance potential benefits over traditional systems).

There's likely more - but just to illustrate that just because VRR handshake is supported on hw - the software isn't automagically compliant with it. On PC a lot of that can be troubleshot via user/driver overrides (and some more exotic optimizations are basically impossible on PC), on console you will usually need patches. And even on PC - if you go for more-wild west of the older games, VRR will start to get spotty too, I have little doubt.

And as you speculated already - the patches can enable additional benefits working 'with' VRR (like disabling framerate limiters alltogether etc.), so it's also a potential improvement.

you can go pretty far on PC if you want to :)

and its not that spotty, as long as a game provides stable frametimes, VRR works accordingly

although blurbusters recommends it, i disable all kinds of vsync (in game and driver). instead, i simply employ an aggresive frame limit of 120 on my 144 hz screen. its extremely rare that a game manages to jump upwards of 120 to above 144. practically, i've never seen tearing for 3.5 years and i've never seen VRR to disengage in any game or whatsoever

SlimySnake

So why do games need a patch for this? I’m not really understanding, is it just so that a game will really take full advantage of it? What does that even mean? Because I understood that VRR is on a hardware level. Of course I don’t know that to be fact, that’s just kind of how I was interpreting it. Maybe it works on everything, but the patching is too implement it better for certain titles? I can understand a patch being made for any insomniac title given the 40 FPS mode, my guess is that VRR probably could use a little programming direction when it comes to a mode that is definitely not a standard yet. But outside of the games that take a stranger option to frame rate why would a patch be needed?
You dont NEED a patch for this. I tested a bunch of games on the previous page, and only Spiderman received a patch out of a good 8-10 games i tested. Cybperunk, Doom, FF7 and a bunch of other PS5 games just work with no patch required.

What Spiderman is doing is going above and beyond with vrr support by doing something Dying Light 2 devs recently on Xbox Series X. They are unlocking the framerate and just letting it hover between 60-120 fps knowing that vrr will handle any tearing or framerate stutters. Now of course, many games dont have that kind of headroom and struggle to hit 60 fps consistently, but insomniac clearly had a lot of headroom available in their cross gen games seeing as how performance mode goes up to 100 fps at times.

So in short, you dont NEED patches for vrr support but in some titles, you might see devs unlock fps to gain 20-40 more fps.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Is it one of the supported games? Its smoothe on my xsx with vrr.
giphy.gif

DJ12

Is it possible that your samsung tv's info is incorrect? I mean you are getting 82 FPS in the 120 fps mode which can only be activated if the PS5 detects a vrr display.

I installed the Spiderman patch last night before enabling VRR and i was only getting 60 fps in the performnace modes. It wasnt until i enabled VRR this morning did my framerate go beyond 60 fps.

Try turning off vrr in system settings and see if your fps goes to 60 fps. It could just be the tv information screen messing up and you are getting vrr.
Yeah looks like it's borked on the gamebar, the signal indicator says it's in VRR mode, and 60 mode shows a variable rate that updates constantly.

Guess I need to check for a new firmware for the neo-qleds

Not sure it's doing it's stuff in 120 fidelity mode though, it flicks between 120 and 82 all the time, which seems unrealistic as perfomance RT doesn't get anywhere near that.

kyliethicc

I think Riky and others have a point here. Without VRR developers wouldn't consider uncapping framerates even though their game may have performance headroom in excess of the locked profiles (30, 40, 60fps). Does it directly improve performance, no. But it allows gamers to realize performance that otherwise would have been artificially blocked with locked modes.
SMS let you play GoW on PS4 Pro years ago with an unlocked frame rate mode. No VRR needed.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I think Riky and others have a point here. Without VRR developers wouldn't consider uncapping framerates even though their game may have performance headroom in excess of the locked profiles (30, 40, 60fps). Does it directly improve performance, no. But it allows gamers to realize performance that otherwise would have been artificially blocked with locked modes.

Yes exactly.

We can now probably add Deathloop to it on PS5 also, there was a patch last night, as it now comes up with "Ultimate Performance Mode" on my LG that seems to run from 60fps to 100fps in the area I was in. If anybody can check on a none VRR set if that mode is available or not?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
My TV (Samsung Q70A) atleast says to use the HDMI 2.1 port for VRR, which kinda sucks since it only has one.

Should it work on the 2.0 ports too?
Maybe, my TV only has 2.0 HDMI ports and supports VRR no issue. You could always test it.

I can't do 4k120fps, but that's it.

Last edited:

chaseroni

Do not get your hopes up just yet. Series X also supports FreeSync via HDMI. But the big question for you will be, whether your Samsung monitor has support for HDMI VRR or not.
My samsung is newer than those models listed, I'm pretty sure it's gonna work.

SlimySnake

Yeah looks like it's borked on the gamebar, the signal indicator says it's in VRR mode, and 60 mode shows a variable rate that updates constantly.

Guess I need to check for a new firmware for the neo-qleds

Not sure it's doing it's stuff in 120 fidelity mode though, it flicks between 120 and 82 all the time, which seems unrealistic as perfomance RT doesn't get anywhere near that.
On the LG CX, the FPS counter is borked for anything under 60 fps. So the only way for us plebs to verify if its running over 30 fps in fidelity is going by feel. It feels very smooth to me, but I did play it at 40 fps last night so I have that frame of reference. Today in VRR, it feels much more smoother and higher fps than the 40 fps locked version.

You can probably try this by disabling the 120 fps mode in your PS setting and playing the game at 30 fps. Then enable the 120 fps mode but keep the vrr disabled to play it in 40 fps, and then enable vrr and just go by which one feels better.

Last edited:

Arioco

It's hit or miss, doesn't work on all 2.0.

That guy is wrong (and of course John is too). When you activate Freesync Ultimate on a Samsung TV (since 2018 at least) you're actually enabling HDMI Forum VRR. That's why it works, it's not Freesync.

PS5 detects my Samsung Q7F as VRR compatible but only if I set Freesync to ultimate (basic option is not enough). The TV is supposed to support both Freesync and VRR. I'm finding some issues when I enable VRR though.

DJ12

On the LG CX, the FPS counter is borked for anything under 60 fps. So the only way for us plebs to verify if its running over 30 fps in fidelity is going by feel. It feels very smooth to me, but I did play it at 40 fps last night so I have that frame of reference. Today in VRR, it feels much more smoother and higher fps than the 40 fps locked version.

You can probably try this by disabling the 120 fps mode in your PS setting and playing the game at 30 fps. Then enable the 120 fps mode but keep the vrr disabled to play it in 40 fps, and then enable vrr and just go by which one feels better.
I played the entire game through in 40fps mode, it does feel smoother for sure. I guess I just wanted the FPS counter to work, but as you say works fine in other modes so must just be 40fps modes.

Gambit2483

Just got a bunch of updates on some of my older games. I'm guessing the updates are live now and going out?

Last edited:
From my game library and after extended test until know i found 3 PS5 games where VRR is not working.CP 2077, RETURNAL .WATCH DOGS LEGION.VRR is activated on system level but you can feel the fps drops there is juddering and also screen tearing in some places.LG C1 fps counter stays always at 59,34hz.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That guy is wrong (and of course John is too). When you activate Freesync Ultimate on a Samsung TV (since 2018 at least) you're actually enabling HDMI Forum VRR. That's why it works, it's not Freesync.

PS5 detects my Samsung Q7F as VRR compatible but only if I set Freesync to ultimate (basic option is not enough). The TV is supposed to support both Freesync and VRR. I'm finding some issues when I enable VRR though.

Interesting, so it is HDMI based VRR but those TVs have it under the Freesync Ultimate label ?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
From my game library and after extended test until know i found 3 PS5 games where VRR is not working.CP 2077, RETURNAL .WATCH DOGS LEGION.VRR is activated on system level but you can feel the fps drops there is juddering and also screen tearing in some places.LG C1 fps counter stays always at 59,34hz.
Weird Returnal works for me.

GHG

Gold Member

Can confirm the same thing for the Q70r. Freesync ultimate seems to also enable HDMI forum VRR.

Interesting, so it is HDMI based VRR but those TVs have it under the Freesync Ultimate label ?

The Fs ultimate setting seems to also enable hdmi forum VRR. The 4k range is 48-60hz.

Last edited:

Banned

apparently. back then basically zero devices supported HDMI VRR so they completely sold these TVs under the FreeSync banner simply because FreeSync was actually something devices supported back then

FrankWza

Most games are vsynced on ps5, as proven by Halo and its borked vrr implementation and explanation (now fixed), vsync doesn't play nice with vrr sometimes.

But as you are clearly trolling and completely ignoring the fact Sony already stated you can force it on any game, just continue with the false narrative that seems common amongst the green warriors.
ea03b0209c8ac3bb267ebfde23108d74d3be7cbb.png

Better luck next time.
It says you can force it if you want. Don't know if you knew that.
Are you being serious, or are you and Riky still trying to score points while an exclusive feature on your 'check-list' has been taken away?
What do you mean it's being done on a game by game basis?
Some games are getting updates but they added 40fps modes and stuff like that, like the Insomniac games.
Elden Ring didn't get an update and plenty of people are saying it's playing much better, specially the Performance Modes.

It's like some of you guys want PS5 to not have this working feature at this point...
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 must not be getting notifications

PS5, according to Settings > Screen & Video > Video Output supports 48 Hz to 120 Hz only with VRR so that might explain why The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf was still jerky when I tested it an hour ago as it was probably running below 48 fps. Got to say that is a bit disappointing as it means any game that drops below 48 fps is going to feel jerky (if v-synced) or have screen tearing (if using adaptive v-sync). I'm sure the Xbox Series X has a wider VRR range as Spyro: Reignited Trilogy runs smoothly without framepacing issues when VRR is enabled despite only being 30 fps.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 must not be getting notifications

Of course he is but he doesn't want to draw more attention to himself than he already has.

He will wait for someone else to latch on to what he said, spread bullshit and then he'll encourage them with fire/thoughtful and thumbs up emjois. They get banned, he survives, the bullshit still spreads. It's the same thing every time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The Fs ultimate setting seems to also enable hdmi forum VRR. The 4k range is 48-60hz.

apparently. back then basically zero devices supported HDMI VRR so they completely sold these TVs under the FreeSync banner simply because FreeSync was actually something devices supported back then

Since these are HDMI 2.0 standard displays, I'm going to assume the 4K will only be limited to 60hz max with potential VRR range from 40~48 to 60hz then ?

Or 1080p/120hz if supported.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Since these are HDMI 2.0 standard displays, I'm going to assume the 4K will only be limited to 60hz with range from 40~48 to 60hz then ?

Yep.

And for my set it's 20-120 hz in 1440p. Not sure on 1080p but I assume it's the same.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
dont like any of those, and I do play cod, Cold war, which also sounds better with 3D audio off.

Horizon is a native ps5 game, and it doesnt feel like it gains anything with it on.

Tempest tries to stimulate how sound in the real world reaches your ears from different directions and is distorted by the shape of your ears (this is how your brain can determine sound directionality in real life beyond just left/right). But everyone's ears are physically different, and your brain is "tuned" to your specific ears, so a single algorithm won't work for everyone. The presets you can choose between on the PS5 are "averages" that should work well enough for most people, but none of them will be a perfect match for most people's ears. And it might just be that for you none of them are close enough to give you convincing 3D audio. The only real solution for this is to scan your ears so that an algorithm can be created just for you (which Sony actually lets you do with their headphones that have similar 3D audio support).

Arioco

Yes, exactly, it's always been that way ever since those TV launched. To enable HDMI Forum you have to set Freesync to Ultra (which has the widest range). There's no "VRR" option to toggle actually.

And unfortunately I'm running into some issues (particularly the TV keeps losing signal whenever VRR is supposed to kick in, that is, in those place I know there are frame rate dips). For example the Resident Evil VIII demo worked perfectly until I reached that room with the staircase and the chandelier, then I lost signal for a few seconds. The same happens in Spiderman Remastered, Miles Morales and The Matrix Awakens. I can't even imagine what the problem might be, lowering the rez or using chroma subsanpling don't seem to help. I still haven't tested on my LG CX which unlike the Q7 does have HDMI 2.1.

adamsapple

Yes, exactly, it's always been that way ever since those TV launched. To enable HDMI Forum you have to set Freesync to Ultra (which has the widest range). There's no "VRR" option to toggle actually.

And unfortunately I'm running into some issues (particularly the TV keeps losing signal whenever VRR is supposed to kick in, that is, in those place I know there are frame rate dips). For example the Resident Evil VIII demo worked perfectly until I reached that room with the staircase and the chandelier, then I lost signal for a few seconds. The same happens in Spiderman Remastered, Miles Morales and The Matrix Awakens. I can't even imagine what the problem might be, lowering the rez or using chroma subsanpling don't seem to help. I still haven't tested on my LG CX which unlike the Q7 does have HDMI 2.1.

none of the other chroma options help ?

Maybe it's your cable ?

Banned
Since these are HDMI 2.0 standard displays, I'm going to assume the 4K will only be limited to 60hz max with potential VRR range from 40~48 to 60hz then ?

my TV supports 4K60 and 1440p120, sadly PS5 doesn't support 1440p so these 40fps modes are pretty much useless for me

Banned

your signal loss is a cable issue. I also had to switch my cable.
I used I think an old Xbox One cable for PS5, and once I switched it out for the one I use for my Series X it worked flawlessly

Top Bottom