• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I get that but most games are well optimized that they stay at 60 fps consistently and there are benefits to unlocking games that would be at 60. Those games are usually coded headroom to get fps between 70 - 80. You need HDMI 2.1 for that though..

Oh yeah, that's a good use case for VRR on 120hz displays but I can only think of 2 games off the top of my head that do that (Flight Sim and Dying Light 2).

I think Hellblade does that too, so 3 games.

Last edited:
4K is pointless when you're forced to play games at 30fps
A 1440p monitor is pointless if it can't downscales from 4K.

Just kiding, I wan't 1440p output as I'll soon be moving and won't be able to have my TV with me and I would like to save money when buying a monitor. 4K monitors are overpriced as hell.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Abc Yes GIF by The Bachelorette
Good News Yes GIF by Bounce
Thank God Yes GIF by Cooler - GIF Your TV

Borowski_1

A 1440p monitor is pointless if it can't downscale from 4K.

Just kiding, I wan't 1440p output and I'll soo be moving and won't be able to have my TV with me and I would like to save money when buying a monitor. 4K monitors are overpriced as hell.

With 1440p you can have a decent resolution and still play the games at 60fps

That's the perfect balance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tales Of Arise needs it.

ToA's 4K mode on PS5 drops to the 30's pretty frequently in action scenes, so you're gonna need a TV that has a massive VRR range for that.

Otherwise I think the performance mode runs pretty well regardless.

The SX version stays in the 50s in the resolution mode so VRR definitely helps out a lot there on most displays.

Elios83

Time to jump on the next acronym for some people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Looking forward to see the impact on Elden Ring although I finished it just the other day.
And I hope VRR doesn't create some gamma or flickering issues on my 55Q95T otherwise I'll just turn it off.

Looking forward to see the impact on Elden Ring although I finished it just the other day.
And I hope VRR doesn't create some gamma or flickering issues on my 55Q95T otherwise I'll just turn it off.
Looking forward for someone at From Software to find out what the hell VRR is and look for a tutorial on how to patch it on PS5.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
ToA's 4K mode on PS5 drops to the 30's pretty frequently in action scenes, so you're gonna need a TV that has a massive VRR range for that.

The SX version stays in the 50s in the resolution mode so VRR definitely helps out a lot there on most displays.

Right. I'm a believer in never going cheap on the display.

The next one is Dolby Vision/Atmos, you can count on it...

It doesn't matter that HGIG and 3D Audio are just as good at worst

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man, if there’s one thing that NEVER gets old, it’s when a fanboy has sour grapes about something their platform doesn’t have, only to flip flop as soon as their platform gets it, and then you get to stuff their face in it.

Show no mercy, this is one of the great pleasures of being a gamer/tech enthusiast.

omegasc

maybe Bandai Namco fixes this along the VRR patch. No blatant reason for the lack of performance, just lack of optimization, really, on both systems. This game should not need a performance mode in the first place.
That said I played it in performance mode though and found very little differences from Graphics mode. Not worth the wait, so I finished it last month or so. Great game!

Last edited:

MrTentakel

What’s weird about it? You need unlocked frame rates to take advantage of VRR. Most games on consoles have locked frame rates. You need to patch that out to unlock it.
Well, in theory locked 60 fps means you dont dip under 60.
Watch any DigitalFoundry video to check how the theory works in praxis -> and the answer is: it depends.
Far Cry6 ran like arse at release and was screen tearing bonanza. I hope VRR will help here.

GrayDock

Nice for people who can use it, but for most it'll just another checked checkbox.
What I want is an option to config my speakers in a 'atmos/dts-x' way, setting some speakers at the ceiling. There's no need for the Atmos codec at all if we could do that.
And while I'm dreaming I want a MGS Remake collection with all games running in UE5...

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Can't say i agree, outside of replays the frame rate is pretty solid.
For the most part it is solid indeed but i still see stutters in various races on some tracks, like really heavy stutters that affects my driving. And its mostly on the same spot of the tracks even with or without ai and dry weather. If you did all the events, missions and CE you will know what im talk about. The game is mostly solid but there are definitely drops here and there and VRR would help in those situations. On GTP lots of people have complained about those stutters and drops so im not the only one unfortunately.

DaGwaphics

most recent games don't run at 60fps and native 4K.

for people who prefer to play at 60, 1440p would be the sweet spot. Unless you prefer your "cinematic" 30fps

If more devs included 1440p specific modes (like DL2 did in the Xbox patch), that is a nice middle ground. In a perfect world the performance modes on XSX/PS5 would run at 1440p, making that a perfect native resolution.

intbal

Oh yeah, that's a good use case for VRR on 120hz displays but I can only think of 2 games off the top of my head that do that (Flight Sim and Dying Light 2).

I think Hellblade does that too, so 3 games.

A Plague Tale

And probably every single Xbox 360 game could run well over 60hz if unlocked. Max Payne 3 is a tragic example. It was originally unlocked. Would have been a 60fps BC title. But BC version is patched to a cap of 33fps (!?).

Pedro Motta

Can't say i agree, outside of replays the frame rate is pretty solid.

Pedro Motta Pedro Motta Not sure what he wants atmos for, games have something equally as good and you can send atmos to the receiver or tv to decode. Ive watched many movies in atmos on the PS5.
Yup, but that's passthrough to the decoder, does not work with games like that. I'm enjoying 7.1 on both the XSX and PS5, and I've managed to play Halo Infinite with Dolby Atmos, and it was indeed a superior experience to the tradicional 7.1. Too bad I had to make 30 steps and some voodoo for it to work, only for it to stop working out of nowhere and break Atmos on other apps like Netflix and such. Atmos on Xbox is broken right now.

Top Bottom