• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

GHG

This will be the new turd to sling now that VRR is being implemented lol.

angry cat GIF

What will make it better is the fact that the clowns who throw that around will be using a display with ~500 nits of peak brightness along with headphones or the TV speakers.

FrankWza

VRR should still always be a last resort. Give us well-optimized games, so we don't have to deal with the negative aspects of VRR.
Not every dev is as capable as say, insomniac. Also, multiplat is a thing. I’m looking forward to the resolution bump now that frame rate has a crutch.

Last edited:
Well I'm talking of games with uncapped FPS which BC doesn't fix the unstable FPS. How was named that horror game PS4 exclusive? Just to give an example.
Silent Hills, but I don't think you can play that on PS5 because the game has been pretty much abandoned.

So rather than just fix the frame rate in Dirt 5, they just decided to do VRR instead and call it a day? Talk about lazy... ugh.

The frame drops in that game are so damn annoying. I had to play the PS4 version to get a good frame rate.

Trogdor1123

I hope some more tvs support it soon. It would be nivce to see some great budget models. I’m currently saving for a house so I’d like to find a good value one

assurdum

Banned
So rather than just fix the frame rate in Dirt 5, they just decided to do VRR instead and call it a day? Talk about lazy... ugh.

The frame drops in that game are so damn annoying. I had to play the PS4 version to get a good frame rate.
Wait really? I reminded it runs quite decently at launch, at least looking the old comparison.

Venuspower

The bullshit is starting early this time I see.

You may want to check the difference between TV-led Dolby Vision and Player-Led Dolby Vision. Then you should think about what kind of Dolby Vision the Series X uses. After that, you should ask yourself why the Series X can do Dolby Vision for games, but not for UHD Blu-rays. In the next step you should look at the requirements of Dolby Vision for the players. Finally, you can also answer the question why the PS5 will not support Dolby Vision over UHD Blu-rays.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
He's been tagged like 20 times even without posting, imagine how he'll get hounded if he posts in this thread, can't blame him :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You They never had a problem with it before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They claimed to have both consoles so one would think they are hyped that their favorite "generation defining feature" is finally launching on the console they bought.

If you're not kidding, why am I not surprised.

Totally not kidding. I don't respect the man. He has beliefs that run counter to the very core of things I believe, and so I won't support anything he has ownership of. And I damn sure don't want that thing attached to my personal phone device with the shady people he will be giving access to this data when he takes it private.

So, rather than sit around and bitch about it, I just did made a quick decision fitting my beliefs. Unfortunately, though, he's clearly involved to some degree on Starfield, and I'll have to be a hypocrite there cause I ain't missing that game cause of his ass. But at least he doesn't own it! Cause if he ever in any shape or form became somehow directly involved with or part of Xbox, I would never own another Xbox system again lol. So yea, it's fuck that guy for me personally. Other people will say it and not mean it, but I meant every word that I would deactivate and never use twitter again if he got control of it.

GHG

You may want to check the difference between TV-led Dolby Vision and Player-Led Dolby Vision. Then you should think about what kind of Dolby Vision the Series X uses. After that, you should ask yourself why the Series X can do Dolby Vision for games, but not for UHD Blu-rays. In the next step you should look at the requirements of Dolby Vision for the players. Finally, you can also answer the question why the PS5 will not support Dolby Vision over UHD Blu-rays.

It's down to licensing.

The requirement for dedicated hardware hasn't been the case for a few years now.

It was originally widely assumed that Dolby Vision hardware (screens and Ultra HD Blu-ray players) needed to carry a dedicated chip. However, it is now possible to add Dolby Vision support via a firmware update to devices with sufficiently powerful processors.

Hence numerous Panasonic and Sony UHD Blu Ray players have had firmware updates to enable dolby vision on players that didn't previously support it.

Last edited:

clintar

Great, now who's going to do all the work of going back through all the head-to-heads to see which ones PS5 wins now? I nominate our resident expert whose name starts with R

Last edited:

Filben

Why do they have to patch games individually? Coming from PC this seems weird... just enable at globally and let my TV alter the refresh rate as the game's FPS come.

Also why games, like Astro's Playroom, that have a solid frame rate anyways? How about Borderlands 3 that stutters like crazy in Splitscreen and resolution mode and would benefit way more?

This reads already like a half-assed approach.

Great, now who's going to do all the work of going back through all the head-to-heads to see which ones PS5 wins now?

VRR can't be benchmarked. And not every game will apparently support it. It has to be patched in according to Sony's blog. VRR also doesn't change things like internal rendering resolution.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder if it means more unlocked framerate games from Sony. Insomniac has already confirmed it.

Otherwise its pointless for most games on the system. I dont remember seeing any framedrops in Ratchet, Demon Souls, Spiderman, Returnal and Horizon. Probably because they use DRS. Maybe they can disable DRS and unlock the framerate now.

Give me an unlocked Horizon mode at 1440p. None of this bullshit 1800p cb stuff. Just do a traditional 1440p mode and let the framerate be whatever it needs to be.

Dr Bass

Totally not kidding. I don't respect the man. He has beliefs that run counter to the very core of things I believe, and so I won't support anything he has ownership of. And I damn sure don't want that thing attached to my personal phone device with the shady people he will be giving access to this data when he takes it private.

So, rather than sit around and bitch about it, I just did made a quick decision fitting my beliefs. Unfortunately, though, he's clearly involved to some degree on Starfield, and I'll have to be a hypocrite there cause I ain't missing that game cause of his ass. But at least he doesn't own it! Cause if he ever in any shape or form became somehow directly involved with or part of Xbox, I would never own another Xbox system again lol. So yea, it's fuck that guy for me personally. Other people will say it and not mean it, but I meant every word that I would deactivate and never use twitter again if he got control of it.
Uhh ... as someone in the tech industry, if you think the people that have access to your "data" are not "shady" already ... you're living in a complete dream world. And if you think Microsoft, of all companies, does not do things you would consider "shady" ... please, get out a bit more. I mean to be so into MS you could easily pass as a paid poster, but then turn around and have some kind of moral stance on Elon Musk of all things. I don't think you have any real concept of the tech world, though you think you do.

Just out of curiosity what "beliefs," aside from freedom for adults, does he have that run counter to the "core" of your being? So you believe in control, censorship, those things?

And then turning around and saying you'll shelve your "beliefs" if Elon Musk is involved in Starfield, because your love of MS outweighs your hate for the guy, and apparently your moral compass. By the way, if that's how you operate you don't really have a "core" to your being, because your stance changes depending on your feelings and how you can rationalize your decisions. Just FYI.

I don't think people could make this stuff up.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Why do they have to patch games individually? Coming from PC this seems weird... just enable at globally and let my TV alter the refresh rate as the game's FPS come.

Also why games, like Astro's Playroom, that have a solid frame rate anyways? How about Borderlands 3 that stutters like crazy in Splitscreen and resolution mode and would benefit way more?

See my post above.

They are adding unlocked framerates and are removing DRS which was previously being used to smooth out drops from the 30, 40 or 60 fps targets at all times by reducing the resolution. Now they will just keep the resolution the same and let VRR handle any drops and keep the framerate looking smooth even when its variable.

• 120 Hz Display Mode (together with system settings)
    • Reduces input latency
    • Increases frame rate target of Fidelity graphics mode to 40 fps
  • Support for VRR via system settings
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is off, slightly increases dynamic resolution targets
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is on, the frame rate is unlocked and varies based on gameplay
  • Improvements to ray-traced reflection quality at glancing angles in low-dynamic-resolution scenarios

NonPhixion

It can be turned on for all games. Sony, for legal reasons, more or less is saying which games will have the patched support.

kyliethicc

See my post above.

They are adding unlocked framerates and are removing DRS which was previously being used to smooth out drops from the 30, 40 or 60 fps targets at all times by reducing the resolution. Now they will just keep the resolution the same and let VRR handle any drops and keep the framerate looking smooth even when its variable.

• Reduces input latency
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is off, slightly increases dynamic resolution targets
    • When 120 Hz Display Mode is on, the frame rate is unlocked and varies based on gameplay
  • Improvements to ray-traced reflection quality at glancing angles in low-dynamic-resolution scenarios
DRS isn’t being removed.

When outputting at 60 Hz with VRR, the DRS average is just higher.

SlimySnake

DRS isn’t being removed.

When outputting at 60 Hz with VRR, the DRS average is just higher.
Ah i read that wrong.

I wonder if they are removing vsync which tends to have a big performance hit. I mean you dont really need vsync since vrr smooths out all tearing.

We saw this in the Alan Wake comparison the other day. The PS5 drops more frames but supports vsync while the xbox doesnt and average a higher framerate because of the lack of performance hit. I wonder if thats what most of these patches are doing.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Ah i read that wrong.

I wonder if they are removing vsync which tends to have a big performance hit. I mean you dont really need vsync since vrr smooths out all tearing.

We saw this in the Alan Wake comparison the other day. The PS5 drops more frames but supports vsync while the xbox doesnt and average a higher framerate because of the lack of performance hit. I wonder if thats what most of these patches are doing.
Yeah I assume the whole patch for VRR support thing has something to do with the PS5’s V-Sync.

Pretty sure Sony forces V-Sync on all games or close to it.

And Insomniac must now feel they can push the DRS more aggressively with less worry about frame drops for those VRR users.

Venuspower

The requirement for dedicated hardware hasn't been the case for a few years now.

Yes and no. You are talking about Dolby Vision Low Latency (Player-led DV). DV LL is indeed purely software-based. The first DV TVs from Sony, for example, were only capable of DV LL. This caused various problems.

However, UHD players do indeed need a corresponding DV chip for real Dolby Vision (TV-led DV). In modern devices, this is usually integrated directly into the SoC. This is also not correctly reflected in the article you linked. But the author of the article cannot be blamed for this. Even the manufacturers and Dolby themselves were surprised when they realised that Dolby Vision LL existed. Which of course sounds absolutely stupid. But it was precisely this stupidity that was responsible for the fact that Dolby Vision was only possible on Sony TVs via apps for a long time and DV via UHD players was only added later (companies like Panasonic, D+M, Apple had to add support for DV LL later on because they did not read the spec sheet correctly and only had support for "true" DV).

Hence numerous Panasonic and Sony UHD Blu Ray players have had firmware updates to enable dolby vision on players that didn't previously support it.

These numerous players already had the corresponding hardware built in from the beginning. It is just that the finished software came later.

Last edited:

Filben

See my post above.

• Reduces input latency

It can be turned on for all games. Sony, for legal reasons, more or less is saying which games will have the patched support.

Thanks for clearing that up! 👍🏻

Top Bottom