• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

j0hnnix

about time GIF

bp3G5PG.jpg
Godfall! The game everyone was waiting for to get vrr support.

Do LG users enable VRR or AMD freesync premium option ?

LG supports them all. Gsync, Freesync, HDMI Forum VRR.

It gets even better. LG C1 and CX now has a VRR range extended all the way down to 20hz, making it a literal game changer even for 30fps titles. But you need to be using it on a proper HDMI 2.1 connection to benefit from this. If you're only on HDMI 2.0, your VRR range minimum on your LG CX/C1 will be 40Hz.

C1 Instructions are as follows.

To enable VRR, turn on Game Optimizer and make sure VRR and G-Sync is toggled for G-SYNC

HDMI Forum and AMD FreeSync Premium is 'On' for FreeSync.

Like the LG CX OLED, the VRR range is extended to a minimum of 20Hz when using an HDMI 2.1 source. With HDMI 2.0, it begins at 40Hz.

On my updated LG C1 the choice I see is AMD FreeSync Premium. I don't see that HDMI Forum stuff.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LG supports them all. Gsync, Freesync, HDMI Forum VRR.

It gets even better. LG C1 and CX now has a VRR range extended all the way down to 20hz, making it a literal game changer even for 30fps titles. But you need to be using it on a proper HDMI 2.1 connection to benefit from this. If you're only on HDMI 2.0, your VRR range minimum on your LG CX/C1 will be 40Hz.

C1 Instructions are as follows.

To enable VRR, turn on Game Optimizer and make sure VRR and G-Sync is toggled for G-SYNC

HDMI Forum and AMD FreeSync Premium is 'On' for FreeSync.

Like the LG CX OLED, the VRR range is extended to a minimum of 20Hz when using an HDMI 2.1 source. With HDMI 2.0, it begins at 40Hz.

On my updated LG C1 the choice I see is AMD FreeSync Premium. I don't see that HDMI Forum stuff.
And how many 2.1 ports they have now?

I remember a year or so ago I srhugged off a new TV because you had LG w/ all this great support, for a whopping 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs, one you'd generally reserve for E-ARC (leaving you one actual 2.1 device, yay) and then the others that had 4 ports were missing so many features.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What?

For some replays or track flybys, maybe (which seemed improved the last couple of patches. big time).

During gameplay, not at all.
Such bullshit.

Here other people also have the same issue

I have 100+h in GT7 and have completed roughly 90% of the game (Getting gold on all those events, missions, CE and menu book) i have raced all the tracks with various cars and weather and i see stutters/lag on some of them simple as that 🤷‍♂️. Why do you guys act like i made this shit up, the game has frame drops. And all i said was that VRR would help in those situations. You can try it yourself also even without rain with 1 car on the track, go to the fisherman rally event and see how bad the fps is in the second last corner. Or the race with the yellow Megane on Deep Forest at the third corner where it stutters heavily. Even your boy found some fps dips during gameplay, and he didn't even play the game as long as i have.
gtfsp.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I have 100+h in GT7 and have completed roughly 90% of the game (Getting gold on all those events, missions, CE and menu book) i have raced all the tracks with various cars and weather and i see stutters/lag on some of them simple as that 🤷‍♂️. Why do you guys act like i made this shit up, the game has frame drops. And all i said was that VRR would help in those situations. You can try it yourself also even without rain with 1 car on the track, go to the fisherman rally event and see how bad the fps is in the second last corner. Or the race with the yellow Megane on Deep Forest at the third corner where it stutters heavily. Even your boy found some fps dips during gameplay, and he didn't even play the game as long as i have.
gtfsp.jpg
I have 130+ hours as well, and most of the events trophies done.

This game still does not "need this the most"... 99% of every other track and event it runs flawlessly. Hyperbole on the other hand, wonder if VRR can fix that?

And how many 2.1 ports they have now?

I remember a year or so ago I srhugged off a new TV because you had LG w/ all this great support, for a whopping 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs, one you'd generally reserve for E-ARC (leaving you one actual 2.1 device, yay) and then the others that had 4 ports were missing so many features.

Every single port on my C1 is HDMI 2.1 compatible. They went all out. I think this TV is a serious upgrade even over my CX. It's amazing. The game optimizer is game changing, as are a number of other features.

4 HDMI 2.1 capable ports.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

gtfsp.jpg
I have almost 150h and call that bullshit.

tommib

gtfsp.jpg
We all know that screenshot is from a stress test that needs I don’t know how many factors combined. It’s your hyperbole that’s bullshit. Compare the smooth 4K/60 from GT7 to Elden Ring on PS5 and you’ll see how it rings hollow. I should know. I play them both daily.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:
Well, now I am further confused why games are getting patched. Don't understand how it matters at all if a game supports it or not. The game is still going to do whatever framerate it can and the system should be coordinating with TV to match framerate.
For instance some games could uncap the framerate or allow for better compatibility

Rivet

Thank god ! For not hearing about it every day anymore I mean.

This "get out of jail" card every time a comparison showed a game ran better on PS5 (which is quite often I must say) was becoming beyond annoying, especially when you know maybe 10% of users have VRR TVs and it makes gamma flickering on LG TVs anyway.

Darsxx82

We all know that screenshot is from a stress test that needs I don’t know how many factors combined. It’s your hyperbole that’s bullshit. Compare the smooth 4K/60 from GT7 to Elden Ring on PS5 and you’ll see how it rings hollow. I should know. I play them both daily.
If you are not able to notice the drops in fps in GT7 congratulations, but I'm sorry, they exist and not in a few situations.

You only need to play any race in the rain or even at night and be present to nothing that several cars are put on the screen.
But it is no longer during the gameplay, personally where it will be most appreciated in the replays where the framerate drops spoil the immersion quite a bit.

So yes, definitely GT7 is a game that will welcome the arrival of VRR.

Three

So what's up with games needing patch?
I thought you just need a a vrr TV compatible.
Some games (most in the patch list) are locked and stable 60fps. Some have v-sync. Those would likely just get a patch for unlocked fps. Look at the recent comparison for Alan Wake too. You can force VRR on all games but a lot of them won't see benefit because they are already locked 60fps or have fps caps at 30fps or 40fps. Those are the ones that need patches.

FrankWza

Not sure what he wants atmos for, games have something equally as good and you can send atmos to the receiver or tv to decode. Ive watched many movies in atmos on the PS5
That little light on their soundbar or justification of the $15 license fee?
Either way, no games were recorded in atmos. It’s added on just like Dolby vision in games.

Top Bottom