• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Digital explains why there aren’t more Xbox Series X internal storage cards: “That’s something Microsoft owns"

Draugoth

Gold Member
mwhMpVBfcsWWeweY34c3Ua-1200-80.jpg.webp

Hardware manufacturer WD Black was in attendance at Gamescom 2023, and TRG had the chance to sit down with the head of product marketing, Ruben Dennenwaldt, to discuss the state of storage options for both Xbox Series X|S and PS5.
Dennenwaldt why there weren’t more beyond WD Black and Seagate’s offerings. “It’s because it’s just not that easy,” he explains, “we’re not talking about a standard interface. It’s a proprietary interface that only fits the Xbox Series X|S."

“That’s something Microsoft owns. So you have to work with Microsoft to come to an agreement so you can have a licensed product. That’s something that takes a lot of time, and that’s probably why there are not more companies offering a product.

Three

It’s not a proprietary interface though. It’s CFexpress. It’s why we have those sketchy adapters.
I think he's referring to the interface in general and not specifically hardware. MS limit the type of drive that can interface through software and they limit it to only licensed products. It's somewhat similar to controllers using 'bluetooth' but requiring a licensed controller to interface with the console.

Tsaki

"It’s a proprietary interface that only fits the Xbox Series X|S"
It's CFexpress. The only thing proprietary is the firmware that locks you out if you try to put another SSD into it. They could put a speed test, like on PS5, and either accept or decline the card you put.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Whoever would ever have thunk it that Microsoft would want to have a monopoly on things...

Windows, Office, Teams, Chat GPT...

Note: I am not console warring.

Three

The ones that seemingly work with ONLY ONE SPECIFIC ssd?
Yeah, the proprietary interface is through software to limit it to drives who licence and share profits with MS but I think he's just pointing out that the actual socket type is like CFExpress so it's not the socket type thats proprietary or owned by MS. This isn't the only thing that makes an interface though and there is in fact a proprietary interface.

Skifi28

Yeah but you have to use screwdrivers and that's just way too complicated for casuals. /s
Tell me about it, I just got my screwdriver licence this month. Talk about an arduous process.

Don't you guys get tired of creating artificial drama out of everything that Microsoft does or doesn't do?
Once in a while, but then Phil has a new interview which rekindles my passion.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
No idea about this but Microsoft really ought to open up Xbox Wireless to more companies. We barely have any wireless third-party controllers and headsets.

Yeah but you have to use screwdrivers and that's just way too complicated for casuals. /s
It is really easy to do, but it’s a little disingenuous to suggest that everyone is capable (or at least willing). Easy for us, but kids and non-techy parents will never do it.

There’s no ideal solution between the two, both are flawed. Microsoft nailed the convenience but not the affordability/availability, Sony’s solution gives more options and faster price drops but it’s not for everyone… Personally I have both an expansion card and a PS5 upgrade, so unaffected, but can see that both sides could have done better here.

Topher

Gold Member
It is really easy to do, but it’s a little disingenuous to suggest that everyone is capable (or at least willing). Easy for us, but kids and non-techy parents will never do it.

There’s no ideal solution between the two, both are flawed. Microsoft nailed the convenience but not the affordability/availability, Sony’s solution gives more options and faster price drops but it’s not for everyone… Personally I have both an expansion card and a PS5 upgrade, so unaffected, but can see that both sides could have done better here.

Non-techy parents have been assembling toys on Christmas morning for decades that are far more difficult than installing an SSD into PS5. Anyone can do this. It is not hard.

Last edited:

Seider

Im not a Xbox Series SX user... i dont know the price difference between Series SX SSD drives and the Ps5 ones. What is it?

Kilau

I think he's referring to the interface in general and not specifically hardware. MS limit the type of drive that can interface through software and they limit it to only licensed products. It's somewhat similar to controllers using 'bluetooth' but requiring a licensed controller to interface with the console.

But the adapter still works without any licensing from MS. This guy just made some word salad trying to defend shitty business practices. This is really no different than the 360 hard drive situation, nothing special just MS fleecing us.

The ones that seemingly work with ONLY ONE SPECIFIC ssd?

Point? It’s still a standard interface. The adapters can be used in other devices, the issue is with MS.

LordCBH

This is really the only thing I dislike about my Series X. Microsoft, I should just be able to use an off the shelf SSD for the damn thing. It was a similar issue with the One consoles where they designed it so users wouldn’t be able to change out the HDD in it.

Topher

Gold Member

?

He didn't say "no other companies" are offering a product.

Im not a Xbox Series SX user... i dont know the price difference between Series SX SSD drives and the Ps5 ones. What is it?

1 TB for Xbox can be bought for $150. 1 TB for PS5 can be bought for $60.

Last edited:

Three

But the adapter still works without any licensing from MS. This guy just made some word salad trying to defend shitty business practices. This is really no different than the 360 hard drive situation, nothing special just MS fleecing us.
Ah, I see what you inferred from it now. I read it more like him just saying why more companies don't have drives available even if the answer doesn't directly say MS is fleecing people by using software written to restrict the inteface to get licensing money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom