• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some games you consider flawless (or mostly flawless)

GametimeUK

Came here to post Super Mario World, but was beaten by a few other people. The visuals, music, secret levels, controls and level design are amazing. They all fuse together so well and create something spectacular.

I also think Tetris is very genius and flawless in its execution. I'd say this is as close to a perfect game that that you'll ever find even if I don't particularly enjoy it myself.

Usually for me it’s the first games on a new console. That when you play, you realise the new hardware was money well spent. Or your excitement was justified

ps1 - tekken2, doom, wipeout
Ps2 - gta3, iss. Gran tourismo
N64 - super mario, goldeneye, Zelda

and on to the newer consoles (halo, mgs4, astrobot, Gears 2 especially horde with friends 💪🏽😎)

even going back to the likes of Xenon 2, sensi soccer, north & south, moonstone (game crippling bug and all) ….

And then it’s on to the next game ….

no game is perfect, but some games are perfect for their time, or hardware and the experience they create👍😎

which to me is why I love this world and not knowing what is going to capture me next. Or surprise ❤️

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
P8Lecwi.png

NikuNashi

Metroid Prime
Street Fighter IV (the last version)
Mario 64 (I had no issue with the camera in 1996)
Goldeneye
Biohazard 1 (yes I like static cameras, tank controls and loading doors)

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I know there's every chance this out of the blue question won't work the way i hope but:

How long after your started playing it did it take you to realise the fantastic World in Conflict was a direct descendant of Ground Control?
Immediately. What a legendary underrated game World in Conflict is. I still have my cd.

You wouldn't happen to be my brother from another mother would you? 😄

Filben

Deus Ex. From RPG elements to content, map design, gameplay creativity and story. Sure visuals weren't great even at that time but it ran on a 300Mhz CPU and a Geforce2.

Monkey Island 1 - 3. Puzzles, humour, characters and dialogues and the art were excellent (except for the bad art of MI1 remaster).

Hades. Combat, visuals, balancing, dialogues, characters... just flawless.

Desperados 3/Shadow Tactics. Character interaction on this level is rare in that genre, add to that great maps, many many challenges, brilliant functions and features and smooth gameplay.

Tomb Raider (classic). No hand-holding, great variety of maps and locations, amazing atmosphere and a bad-ass Lara. Combat is only serviceable but especially in TR1 way less frequent than in later games so it suffice.

Gothic 2 (with The Night of the Raven expansion). Still to this day the best open world concept (that lives on in almost all PB games) with brilliant execution, no enemy/zone scaling, only natural boundaries, a small world but rich in detail without checkbox-activities and grind, memorable NPCs with a full-working daily routine, amazing atmosphere, oddly satisfying combat, rewarding exploration and great character progression.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Bioshock is nearly flawless in my eyes. I have just replayed it again and holds up to this day. Graphics are getting slightly dated compared to new gen games such as demons souls remake by bluepoint but that’s to be expected. The world building and aesthetic, storytelling, gameplay are all second to none.

Hunnybun

Uncharted 2

Great game design, characters, soundtrack, and storytelling

Hoping for one more Uncharted for PS5. I'm hoping that's why they're releasing the remastered version on UC4 to prep a new generation for a sequel

I just can't imagine Sony would seriously let that series die. It's just unimaginable to me.

My first thought re flawless games was Yoshi's Island. It's hard to imagine how that game could be better.

Halo is another one. They're both games I could go back to today and still enjoy.

Ocarina of Time is pretty much there, although the frame rate obviously makes it hard to play these days.

I think the most recent ones are probably TLOU 1 and maybe Mario Odyssey.

Superwave

Banned
I think no game is flawless but the more bloated or open world it is, the more it harms any chance at being "flawless".

For something to be flawless it would have to be tight and focused.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SpidermanMost recent flawless game? Spider-Man PS4 is among the best open world games it’s city, story and characters are clear.
spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Amiga

games age eventually. but for their time I would say:

Megaman X
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
FF7
Castlevania SOTN
RE1
MGS1
GOW1 PS2
Zelda OoT
KOTOR1
Bioshock
Portal 2
Uncharted 2
TLOU1
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon ZD
GOW PS4
Persona 5

to clarify, this is not a GOAT list, there are great games that don't qualify as "flowless" but they are better than many on the list, like Witcher 3, FF Tactics, Silent Hill 2, DMC, MGS5, Death Stranding, Titanfall2..

My list probably has many errors in it and I am sure people can correct me here, I apologize in advance for my wrong choices.

Zelda
Megaman 2
Blazing lazers
Thunderforce III
Streets of rage 2
Chrono trigger
F-zero
Doom 2
Castlevania : sotn
Half-Life 2
Crazy taxi
Rise of Nations
God of War 2 (3 as well)
Wipeout HD
Uncharted 2
TLoU

Last edited:

Closer

Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Resident Evil 2/4
Super Street Fighter II X
Street Fighter Alpha 2/3
Tekken 7
Soul Calibur II
Forza Horizon 3/4/5
Super Metroid
Suikoden II
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Melee
R-Type III
Tetris
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid

There are more, but too many to remember. Too many good games.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
The Secret of Monkey Island
Half Life 1
Super Mario World
Ocarina of Time
Chrono Trigger

Last edited:
God of War (PS4)
Bloodborne
Forza Horizon 5
Dark Souls 3
Half Life
Half Life 2
FF7 Remake Intergrade
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Psychonauts 2
Mass Effect 2

They should fucking patch the trilogy collection to run at 4k in the PS5.
It's already close enough for the level of details they have.

I forgot these in my original post:
After burner
Outrun
Outrunners
Daytona USA
Sega rally
Fantasy zone
Space Harrier

All are pure gameplay no BS bliss.

Notabueno

Banned
This past decade.

- Bioshock Infinite, except gameplay was a bit repetitive in gameplay
- DMCV, except it was too short in content
- RE7, except it was a bit redundant in the art direction
- Zelda BoTW, except it was a bit empty of a world
- Super Mario Odyssey, except it was a bit rushed and artificially extended in the end
- Uncharted 4, except it was dragging a bit in lengh
- The Last of Us, except it was a bit shallow and repetitive in gameplay.
- Overwatch, except they fucked the meta and stopped releasing content
- Battlefield 3, except the campaign was a bit short and messy in the writing

At the exception of indie games, Spider-Man, Luigi's Mansion 3, ME2 and P5 which I have yet to finish, these are the only games of the past decade I would consider near flawless, the only I regret being MGSV since it's unfinished.

Other great games that are not overrated but not quite close to flawless include Bloodborne, Skyrim, Automata, Portal2, RDR2, Horizon, Death Stranding, Super Smash and maybe a few more. Games like GTAV, Ubisoft Game, Bethesda games etc...are either overrated or nowhere near flawless.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Hades recently. Nice to see it mentioned a couple times already.
TLOU1.
Super Mario world.
Tetris, love the Tetris Effect version.
ME2 perhaps as well.

Sophist

Chrono Trigger has a good plot but the dialogs are meh. It is hard to have any feeling for the hero, him not having a single line of dialog doesn't help. Also, the final boss (Lavos) is lame and anticlimactic.
The game owes everything to Toriyama, the sprites artists, and the composers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
OOT, Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Smash Ultimate, MK8 Deluxe, Pokémon Emerald, Jak and Daxter the Precursor Legacy, The Last of Us, God of War, Okami HD, Halo 3.

rapid32.5

At this moment, Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut before that Psychonauts 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn with 60fps patch.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Into the Breach A bug-free (from a technical aspect) puzzle game, with beautiful pixel art and very satisfactory and addictive gameplay, that is basically using kaiju robots of various and upgradeable capabilities in turn based fights against huge bugs (and more). Made by the FTL guys.

Top Bottom