• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think NeoGAF's demographics are? [Results!]

Caio

Average age 35-40, 90% Male, 10% female, Playstation fans 50%, Microsoft fans 15%, Nintendo fans 15%, PC fans 10%, fans of at least 2-3 piece of hardware, among consoles and PC, 10%.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Let's have a look! Stats for 2023.

yZTPoH3.jpg

Average age is 33.7 years old. 77.3% male, 22.7% female.

A few people were spot on!
EviLore EviLore could you help us understand how the stats are gathered? Is it based on self-reporting, or does do big data tying like our registered email to phone number to publicly available demographic info?

Humdinger

Average age 34, about 80/20 male/female. Sounds about right. The percentage of women is a bit higher than I expected.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

yZTPoH3.jpg

Ahhh, so 77.2% Trans. I was off quite a bit..

In all seriousness though, isnt odd that more females than ever are gamers (we're told) and a majority of females are the key demographic for social 'media' yet on one of the main gaming forums around it's only a small percentage of females..

Are forums seen as a bad thing by females where as instagram/Tiktok (or some other dross) is better?

Seems odd but there you have it.

K2D

Banned
Before browsing the thread:

Wouldn't be surprised if there are 5-15 active female user here posting every other day. Percentage wise registered maybe ~10 percent.

Average age I'm thinking 30. Median age 25.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

yZTPoH3.jpg

WOW, I had 31 year old @ 9% women so I was completely off

killatopak

Definitely younger than what I was expecting. When threads regarding first games played or older hardware even older than SNES are discussed, I feel like one toddler accidentally crashed into a party with people much wiser than me.

I think I’ve said it in the past before but I really like the older demographic in gaf because they are very informative and I feel like I’m constantly learning new stuff just by browsing.

edit:
Found them. 1 2
I appreciate you.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

yZTPoH3.jpg

Did you just assume my gender? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Also, this demographic chart doesn't account for how many albinos are living in their parent's basement. Are we sure we can continue to call NeoGAF a gaming forum without this extremely pertinent information? 🤔

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Phase

Ahhh, so 77.2% Trans. I was off quite a bit..

In all seriousness though, isnt odd that more females than ever are gamers (we're told) and a majority of females are the key demographic for social 'media' yet on one of the main gaming forums around it's only a small percentage of females..

Are forums seen as a bad thing by females where as instagram/Tiktok (or some other dross) is better?

Seems odd but there you have it.
This is primarily a PC/console gaming forum, and that is still overwhelmingly male.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
All the incels who are actually afraid and antagonistic towards women left.
I guess I just just never thought the M:F ratio was ever that high, much less back when this was like the #1 driver of traffic to the site of she who shan’t be named.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Hi everyone. Seeing as most of us are anonymous, it can be hard to feel out the composition of your fellow NeoGAF users. And ultimately it's about the content of your character and validity of your arguments, your love of the hobby and contributions to the medium, and how you treat others in your sphere of influence, not your immutable characteristics. But of course everyone has some intuition as to the people around them, even if over text through a computer screen. So let's test your intuition.

What do you think the average age of NeoGAF users is?

What do you think the male:female ratio is? (e.g. x% male : y% female)

I'll reveal the actual stats at the end. Good luck!
Hunn will say male 70/30% .. 20-50 years 60% the rest divided

Im 40 years old, male, from Brazil

I doubt anyone can guess my profession though (if they not have seen in the forum previously)

Last edited:

Chronicle

-Everyone is going to say a low female percentage.

-The reveal will be that the female percentage is somewhere between 25-50 percent, meaning 1 out of every 4, 3, or 2 posters are women.

-There will be confused posters who are going to wonder if certain other posters were lying all along about being male.
Well to be honest they may not identify as female.

Last edited:

Gp1

Are these stats of "active" users who post regularly or the total number?

I was expecting a higher male to female ratio and an older population if you consider only active users given that forums in general are a dying breed of the internet culture.

Any chance of getting the top 5/10 countries?

Last edited:
Very interesting. I see a lot of women on places like reddit, but still it hasn't improved on private forums.

A 77/23 split on online message boards is actually the norm since like GameSpot/IGN days, right?

EviLore EviLore Do you have data during the Gaming-Age era?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This is primarily a PC/console gaming forum, and that is still overwhelmingly male.
Well yes, thats a given, you're just stating the obvious, but why? Over the past few years we've been told that more females than ever are gaming, girl power, Anita sarkeesian putting her point in etc etc, so why are they not getting involved in gaming sites such as this?

killatopak

Well yes, thats a given, you're just stating the obvious, but why? Over the past few years we've been told that more females than ever are gaming, girl power, Anita sarkeesian putting her point in etc etc, so why are they not getting involved in gaming sites such as this?
Just from what I see from my sisters, they prefer places where they can also find something else other than gaming. Reddit and Facebook are most adjacent while I've also seen them use Twitter to find gaming news along with their other interest like Kpop. Discord also gets used more often as it is also used for their school work.

I know about a handful of women who game regularly and they all refuse to be part of online communities unless they're majority female or at least partially made up of people they know IRL. They also don't use online handles that give away their gender.

Thought that shit was over the top until my 12 year-old cousin got a PS4 and her dad set up a PSN account for her that included her name so she could play Fortnite. The shit her inbox got flooded with after a single day made her parents pull the plug on that pretty quickly until I showed them how to filter out messages from people not on her friends list.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

yZTPoH3.jpg

I was .3 years off on the average age, not too bad.

But where exactly are all these so called "females"? Lol. I thought for sure it would be 95% male or more.

Top Bottom