• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think will be the better/bigger RPG game of 2023, FFXVI or Starfield?

Which will be the bigger RPG of 2023?

• Final Fantasy XVI will sell more but Starfield will review better

• Starfield will sell more but Final Fantasy XVI will review better

• Starfield will review better and sell better

• Final Fantasy XVI will review better and sell better

Results are only viewable after voting.
Starfield will still sell more even though its on gamepass. Bethesda make some of the highest selling RPG's out there. Though, starfield won't be anywhere near as big as fallout or elder scrolls.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Movies are out on cinemas first and artists make money on concerts. I don’t think it’s comparable to games.
Both are a fraction of their industry - and we aren't talking about 1 artist, but a team or business. Which these are. This seems like a stealth "game pass should be illegal" series of posts.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Final Fantasy will review and sell better.

Starfield being on GamePass means it won't really sell all that well. The quality of Starfield looks pretty rough IMHO. The gameplay looks extremely dated. Square's recent FF games have given me confidence they know how to make fun games to play, and FFXVI looks to do really well in the gameplay department.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Final Fantasy will review and sell better.

Starfield being on GamePass means it won't really sell all that well. The quality of Starfield looks pretty rough IMHO. The gameplay looks extremely dated. Square's recent FF games have given me confidence they know how to make fun games to play, and FFXVI looks to do really well in the gameplay department.

It will do what it supposed to do, sell Game pass subs & move consoles. Further, it's gonna sell like lemonade on a hot summer day on Steam - we've seen this with Forza and Flight Simulator, among other launches. And PC is hungry for this - jank and all.

I mean, it may not sell well for a bunch of reasons but Game pass isn't in sell games market - it's in subs - so the comparison at least in this regard is super odd.

Fredrik

Both are a fraction of their industry - and we aren't talking about 1 artist, but a team or business. Which these are. This seems like a stealth "game pass should be illegal" series of posts.
Lol no I love it, Gamepass is awesome, for me. Best deal in gaming. 👌
I’m just not convinced that the economics can work out long term since I know my Xbox gaming is super cheap compared to what it used to be. Money needs to come in somehow and if it’s not coming from Gamepass subscribers then the bigger the service get the less money MS studios will rake in.

So to go back the original question I just don’t think Starfield will be up on sales top lists like I assume FFXVI will be. I’m sure it’ll break all kinds of user count records though just like Forza Horizon 5 did.

Calverz

Gold Member
Starfield. Final fantasy has been in decline for decades. Nothing Iv seen from 16 makes me think this will change.

Matsuchezz

Star field will be under gamepass so I doubt it will sell well. A lot of people will try it. But when they get to experience Bethesda quality standads they will drop it and only hardcore fans will keep on playing. My money is on FF it looks mature enough and fun to play. I hope the acting is great. Because good acting can break or enhance the experience.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Starfield is definitely going to be bigger and more popular at launch. People are hungry for a new Bethesda rpg and it's gonna release on Game Pass. The actual games may share the genre but they're going to be different and for different people (for most part).

EDMIX

I don't see it reviewing better, simply based on bugs the team is known for, but I believe it will sell better as I'm sure it will be ported, ported and ported like no ones business lol

I think this will be a staple Bethesda RPG like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and its sales will reflect that.

I think both titles will move massive units regardless though.

Rippa

Starfield will RENT better due to GamePass day-zero.

Final Fantasy will sell and review better.

Last edited:

Von

Starfield by default.

Haven’t bothered with Final Fantasy since FFIX. Granted I’ve messed around in XIV for less than 20hrs in 2014-2015.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Apples to oranges really. I get because both are exclusive to competing platforms, that its tempting to compare them. But as games they are so different, that i dont think there is a comparison. Personally ill enjoy and play both.

Dolomite

Lol what. Why would FF ever sell as much as a Bethesda RPG.
Skyrim is still active AF on steam 12-13 yrs later we're talking GTA level of longevity here

Last edited:
Top Bottom