• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Duchess

do you get abilities to see better in the dark? not sure if I should be using the torch (flashlight) more (how sensitive are enemies?) can't see shit and there's no gamma setting so I assume it's intentional
You can press triangle (on PlayStation) to use "super sense" that will briefly show you the locations of enemies, in red. To begin with, it lasts about half a second..! You can upgrade it, though, so that it lasts longer, and I highly recommend doing so.

Otherwise, the torch is the only means of seeing in the dark.

I found that the game starts off quite tough, but as you level up, it becomes easier.

As a tip: when coming to a new room, wait outside the door on one of the sides, so that the blast screens slide back, then use super sense to take a look inside. That'll reveal the enemies moving about, without them being aware of you. You can then decide on how best to take them down.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I think I’m near the end of Triangle Strategy and my god I love this game, for now this game easily my GOTY.

The game can be more nerve racking than Elden Ring and mostly because how the story is told. Not only some of decision you make are high stake and impactful but also you are not only one making the choices, other characters are as well and not all would agree with you and sometimes even if you do make your decision, it might not go your way and LOOOVE this.

It makes the casts more than just mindless NPC that blindly do whatever you decide, they have their own mind and opinion.
Get Stranger of Paradise danjin

TzwbpXj.png

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Elden Ring NG+ this weekend and maybe opening Forbidden West as well, but during short sessions I'm on Crusader Kings 3 and Vampire Survivor.

Still looking for a good medieval city builder with some sort of story. I liked Going Medieval but I want something more fleshed out, if anyone has suggestions they are welcome!

Bartski

Gold Member
I played through FAR: Changing Tides on gamepass.

Short, simple, linear, no combat nor challenge whatsoever, just a smooth sail for one sitting.
Exactly what I needed after a 3 week long Elden Ring binge.
No NPCs, no dialog, just environmental storytelling through gameplay and easy puzzles, delivered through minimalistic but polished visuals and really good, perfectly fitting soundtrack.
Just a very nicely made, relaxing indie game.

drganon

Took a break from super mario 3d world and got back into kingdom hearts 3. I think I'm about over halfway through the story. Also recently beat Triangle strategy.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Finished off Little Nightmares II last night. I was even less impressed with how the game plays than the first game. It's one of those games you're more into it for the experience. As an experience it's a good game - especially the last third. One issue is that on the enhanced edition with ray tracing enabled it would often stutter when going between scenes.

I'm now working on FIST Forged in Shadow Claw (with RT off because the performance actually matters in that game)

edit: also playing The Persistence (in VR) and a bit of Hollow Knight

Last edited:

Corrik

Currently playing Age of Empires 4. I just finished Halo Wars. It seemed like a real bare bones Strategy RPG, but I guess it was made for consoles and not PC. It was decent though.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin - I'm like halfway through. It's good.

Samurai Warriors 5 - I'm halfway through Chapter 4 of Nobunaga's story, and doing the bonus missions. I'm saving Akechi's story til after I beat Nobunaga's.

Dead or Alive 6 - I use Ayane and Nyotengu, I play against my friend online

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The Death Rite Bird in the Mountain top region in Elden Ring easily qualifies as the most bullshit boss in Souls-history. If you lock on to his head, the camera goes ballistic. No matter how much I invest in robustness with gears and talismans, he hits like a truck, basically one shots you. He has so many bs AOE attacks, some of which he pulls out for the first time AFTER you have fought him like 20 times. I also despise the visual effects of fire, ice and blood that's become common place in Souls after the Lady Maria fight in BB, when the boss makes a large swipe and an effect follows. It's really hard to make out where you can dodge without getting hit by this effect. It's so fucking ridiculous at this point. From Software has basically gone full retard with some bosses in Elden Ring. It's not about learning boss patterns, it's not about blocking or dodging, because it doesn't matter since the boss has infinite stamina, infinite attacks, leaving no room for any kind of breather. Every fucking boss in on steroids. It's more luck at this time. I'm so fucking fed up with this game.

Goalus

Battle Axe

I bought it recently because it looked like a medieval "The Chaos Engine", and I am not disappointed because that is exactly what it feels like now that I am playing it.

The game has only four stages, but I haven't been able to beat it yet because one has only three lives, no continues, no save function, and no way to get additional lives during gameplay. Once you lose three lives, it is "Game over", and it is quite refreshing to be confronted with such a screen nowadays.

I have been playing for seven hours now and have managed to reach the boss of Stage 3. The game is gorgeous af, in terms of both graphics and music.

The only negative aspect I could think of is that the camera might be a bit too much zoomed in. A 25% larger field of view would be perfect. Nevertheless this is a 9/10 game that is almost perfect I'd say.

Look at these gorgeous graphics:

579241-Battle-Axe1.jpg

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
I bought Guardians of the Galaxy on PS5. One problem though, playing in performance mode the IQ is really bad.
Guess I have been spoiled by Insomniac Games and their fantastic IQ in performance mode. :messenger_weary:

GeekyDad

Battle Axe

I bought it recently because it looked like a medieval "The Chaos Engine", and I am not disappointed because that is exactly what it feels like now that I am playing it.

The game has only four stages, but I haven't been able to beat it yet because one has only three lives, no continues, no save function, and no way to get additional lives during gameplay. Once you lose three lives, it is "Game over", and it is quite refreshing to be confronted with such a screen nowadays.

I have been playing for seven hours now and have managed to reach the boss of Stage 3. The game is gorgeous af, in terms of both graphics and music.

The only negative aspect I could think of is that the camera might be a bit too much zoomed in. A 25% larger field of view would be perfect. Nevertheless this is a 9/10 game that is almost perfect I'd say.

Look at these gorgeous graphics:

579241-Battle-Axe1.jpg
So...on Steam?

GeekyDad

Yes, it is on Steam.
I played it on Xbox where it was on sale recently for €13. It's full price is quite steep, so maybe wait for a similar sale.
Looks like a straight-up Gauntlet clone. Loved that game back in the arcade days of yore. But yeah, jeez, $30 seems pretty steep for that.

Goalus

Looks like a straight-up Gauntlet clone. Loved that game back in the arcade days of yore. But yeah, jeez, $30 seems pretty steep for that.
I watched the game like a hawk for almost one year for any price drop, and two weeks ago it finally happened (on Xbox) :messenger_grinning_squinting:(y)
I am still watching Xenocrisis for a similar price drop.

Last edited:
Hitman 2.

It's pretty good, tbh. I love the level designs. Especially the one with the race going on in Miami. Which is quite tough. A lot of variety to these levels, and definitely taking me a while to learn the ins and outs of it. For sure a vast improvement over the first one, although I did have some fun with that too. I should pick up Hitman 3 eventually, but I got this one with PS Plus and I'm very glad, as I likely would not have got around to trying it out otherwise.

drganon

Beat kingdom hearts 3. I don't know If it's an unpopular opinion, but it's probably my favorite of the three main games. Combat wise it felt the best at the very least.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Death Rite Bird in the Mountain top region in Elden Ring easily qualifies as the most bullshit boss in Souls-history. If you lock on to his head, the camera goes ballistic. No matter how much I invest in robustness with gears and talismans, he hits like a truck, basically one shots you. He has so many bs AOE attacks, some of which he pulls out for the first time AFTER you have fought him like 20 times. I also despise the visual effects of fire, ice and blood that's become common place in Souls after the Lady Maria fight in BB, when the boss makes a large swipe and an effect follows. It's really hard to make out where you can dodge without getting hit by this effect. It's so fucking ridiculous at this point. From Software has basically gone full retard with some bosses in Elden Ring. It's not about learning boss patterns, it's not about blocking or dodging, because it doesn't matter since the boss has infinite stamina, infinite attacks, leaving no room for any kind of breather. Every fucking boss in on steroids. It's more luck at this time. I'm so fucking fed up with this game.
Use holy damage

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Use holy damage

I am using holy damage. I'm running a strength-faith build. Got the sword from killing Black blade Kindred outside Bestium sanctum (which was another asshole boss that took 30 tries to kill. But the sword was worth it, looks bad ass and hits like a truck) but the Death Rite Bird is still handing my ass over constantly. Never mind, I realized you could run past him so I'm in Castle Sol now. I was just furious when I wrote that, it's all good now 🙂 thanks for the tip though, appreciate it.

Last edited:

lachesis

Finished my Yakuza run. Zero to 7.

So 7. I think I clocked in roughly 100 hours. I have a lot of mixed feeling - but am interested how the franchise will move forward. Not much wiggle room though with whatever is left over... which also means that they'll have more freedom to make whatever they want to in the future.

As per the story - asides some nice cinematics, I thought the whole storyline just basically followed some given Dragon Quest game of how a hero rises, almost down to T, with just Yakuza characters inserted in. Not that is wrong or anything, but I was hoping something more from such critically acclaimed game since my favorite, Zero. Some of them didn't really feel like they acted in their own age group too ... but oh well. We all have those days, I guess - or boys will always be boys?

Some parts in original Yakuza were funny because the gap between Kiryu's solemn nature and absurd situation - but Kasuga and co.. it seems like they tried little to hard to create something funny, which didn't always work for me.

Game play wise, I was pretty happy how the battles turned out - a lot of collect-a-thons, and as usuall I just couldn't get all the "playspot" completed. Also it felt little bit weird how two whole cities were added right at the end, but not much to do in them. Asset recycling isn't anything new - but would have loved some more story content in them.

I also didn't realize the Yakuza 7 had English voice acting... Complete with the mouth matching too! Impressive stuff. (I remember Majima being voiced by Mark Hamill back in the PS2 ver...)

After finishing Yakuza series (will tackle Judgement series someday, and the PSP one) - wasn't sure what to play next. Started Dragon Quest Builders 2 out of whim, and went for a few hours. Maybe this will be my off-and-on game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I am using holy damage. I'm running a strength-faith build. Got the sword from killing Black blade Kindred outside Bestium sanctum (which was another asshole boss that took 30 tries to kill. But the sword was worth it, looks bad ass and hits like a truck) but the Death Rite Bird is still handing my ass over constantly. Never mind, I realized you could run past him so I'm in Castle Sol now. I was just furious when I wrote that, it's all good now 🙂 thanks for the tip though, appreciate it.
I was an STR/FTH chad too and yeah, that bird is a pain in the ass. Make sure to go back after some time to take your revenge, and give him a few slaps for me.

JLB

Banned
After a long time, I have to say: nothing. Im on a very packed season of work + other personal projects and simply dont have the mental energy to jump on a game (other than a tetris ultimate or a quick fifa season match).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ghostwire Tokyo (PC)

Not gonna lie I'm not really enjoying it lol. The controls are bad, and this game is far more like an AC game than I thought.

Evil Within 2 continues to be the best Tango studio game.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The Dark Pictures Anthology
Finished Man of Medan and starting Little Hope.
Hey! Me too. I never even really was aware of the franchise and I just played through all three of them in the last couple weeks.

I liked Man of Medan and House of Ashes a LOT.

Little Hope I appreciate what is was going for but due to the nature of its story, the choices were less impactful than in the other games

Pilgrimzero

Horizon 2 and FF7 remake mostly.

Sprinkle some Borderlands 2 Tina DLC in there along with some Portal 2.

Mostly Horizon forbidden West though.

marcincz

Hey! Me too. I never even really was aware of the franchise and I just played through all three of them in the last couple weeks.

I liked Man of Medan and House of Ashes a LOT.

Little Hope I appreciate what is was going for but due to the nature of its story, the choices were less impactful than in the other games
Started House of Ashes, yesterday and so far it is my favourite part. Pace and setting are great. I like HoA much more than foggy hope, I mean Little Hope.

Hestar69

Started Horizion FW yesterday and it's not bad so far..only complaints is my ps4 pro is too damn loud,I wish I could replace the thermal with confidence. only real complaint is 30 fps feels bleh..but I played elden ring on worse frames on the series S.

Also some pubg and rocket league here and there.

TintoConCasera

Going through Dark Souls III. Never played the DLCs so that's something to look forward to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m finished with Elden Ring and Triangle Strategy for now and LOVED both.

Currently playing Kirby Forgotten Land and Ghostwire Tokyo. Both these are perfect to play after intense games like Elden Ring and Triangle Strategy.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wrapping up Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, sitting at about 80 hours and I'm not doing to do any of the DLC because it doesn't seem interesting, but you can change my mind.

When I first did the demo I bounced off of it pretty hard because of the differences from the previous HW game, but also the performance and hitching which was super annoying.
For this one I caved and turned on all of the post processing features on my LG CX and yes, holy shit, much better.

Overall the game grew on me over time and I absolutely loved it by about 1/3rd of the way through.
It's just soo fucking cool (and kinda corny) and made me feel like a kid again.
Good guys winning, kicking ass, everyone lives, etc, good stuff!

Started Horizion FW yesterday and it's not bad so far..only complaints is my ps4 pro is too damn loud,I wish I could replace the thermal with confidence. only real complaint is 30 fps feels bleh..but I played elden ring on worse frames on the series S.

Also some pubg and rocket league here and there.
Speaking from an amateurs perspective, when you walk through it with a thorough tutorial, there is minimal chance to fuck this up (no rushing, no skipping steps!). I had a Pro that had the Jet Mode as default and powered up to NASA-Rocket-Mode in tasking scenes (I played TOLUII with fucking noise cancelling headphones, to hear anything else than that fucking helicopter console).

After dedusting, alcohol-scrubbing and putting a "normal" amount of thermal on the CPU (my machine was bukkaked with that shit), that thing is as silent as you would expect from a high end entertainment product from one of the biggest tech firms on the planet.

tl;dr: be confident, prepare and save your ears!

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Started playing Elden Ring.
Did NOT worked as smooth a Sekiro on my 1660Ti. Medium it is then.
and addicted to Destiny as ever.

RAIDEN1

Guardians on the Galaxy for PS5.

Highly Recommended.
Some people here say it is boring, they don't see what the fuss is about etc....Microsoft were mad to pay top dollar to get it on Gamepass, you would not see that happening on Playstation and for good reason etc....is it really Uncharted in space?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
still working on Elden Ring. i'm about 60 hours in and still feel like i'm a long way to go. i've hardly touched Shin Megami Tensei V in the last month or so. I need to get back to that but all my attention is on Elden Ring.

Top Bottom