• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What If Only Black People Had Superpowers?" - Comic Kickstarter for "BLACK"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
But you leave white people out of having super powers in a comic and they'll shout at the top of their lungs about the injustice being served. Just my opinion.

I just think it's fucking dumb to make it dependent on race if you have super powers or not.
Let's see make it like this: "Only white people have the genetic abilites to learn super powers, it's impossible for black people to have this genetic advantage."

It's fucking racist no matter if white or black comes first in that sentence.

I get where the notion is coming from, black people are the oppressed race, they should be portrayed as genetically superior. I just still think this aids segregation, not equality.

Kin5290

Heh, even in a black person-spearheaded work with black main characters, black women are still not to be found in the main cast.

oti

Banned
The Main Villain has a German name? As a german I am highly offended. I thought the times where germans could only be portrayed as Villains were long over...

/s

About this Comic: Eh... why not?

We need a comic about HSV winning the Bundesliga.

Heh, even in a black person-spearheaded work with black main characters, black women are still not to be found in the main cast.
Seriously. Black Women get it the worse out of every fucking one. I can't even get a damn anime with a strong black female lead.

I just think it's fucking dumb to make it dependent on race if you have super powers or not.
Let's see make it like this: "Only white people have the genetic abilites to learn super powers, it's impossible for black people to have this genetic advantage."

I get where the notion is coming from, black people are the oppressed race, they should be portrayed as genetically superior. I just still think this aids segregation, not equality.

And for the longest time, it was only white characters that had super powers and nobody batted an eye.

I think its alright to create a fictional world where only black people have super powers. Like, if you dont like it, dont read it. This world is big enough to have supermans and batmans, so its big enough to have a group of black super heroes in a universe where only black people have powers.

Nightbird

We need a comic about HSV winning the Bundesliga.

giphy.gif

The Kree

Banned
And for the longest time, it was only white characters that had super powers and nobody batted an eye.

I think its alright to create a fictional world where only black people have super powers. Like, if you dont like it, dont read it. This world is big enough to have supermans and batmans, so its big enough to have a group of black super heroes in a universe where only black people have powers.

You don't understand. If White people have to behave in 2016, so do The Blacks because you're all perfectly equal and have the exact same level of power and influence now.

TheDanger

Banned

I'm totally for more racial diversity when it comes to super heroes or generally characters with supernatural abilities, I just think this is not the way to go. You can make anything with black people with super powers, have an all black cast whatever, just don't make it dependent on race if you have powers or not.

I'm just gonna ignore everyone twisting my words to no end.

I'm not ok with a comic book where part of the story is that black people are genetically superior to white people, just as I wouldn't be ok with a comic book where white race defines superiority.

They aren't genetically superior to white people in this comic.

They happen to have genes required for superpowers. But nothing in the story states that they believe that makes them genetically superior.

I'm totally for more racial diversity when it comes to super heroes or generally characters with supernatural abilities, I just think this is not the way to go. You can make anything with black people with super powers, have an all black cast whatever, just don't make it dependent on race if you have powers or not.

I'm just gonna ignore everyone twisting my words to no end.

Maybe the powers are tied to melanin/melanocytes. In which case it isn't about race.

Why are you hung up on your genetically superior argument, like this is going to potray blacks as Nazi Supermen who oppress the inferior whites?

Did you even read the OP?

Osajyefo. “BLACK tackles the very real and palpable issue of race, which is at the forefront in America and around the world. We are trying to confront the issue of race head-on by creating a world in which only Black people are superheroes — and the BLACK superhero trope isn’t subtly cast under a label of mutant, inhuman, or meta-whatever."

It's going to be like X-Men, but instead of being a Mutant it's going to be being born black.

Do the X-Men go about oppressing non mutants?

The entire premise of the X-Men is the mutant struggle for equality........almost as if they drew upon some historical context for the basis of the universe.

But who are we kidding you don't care about context.

Vice

get where the notion is coming from, black people are the oppressed race, they should be portrayed as genetically superior. I just still think this aids segregation, not equality.

That's not the notion though. It's just adding the element of super powers to tell a modern day story about race. It's not about portraying black people as superior, it's uust a what would today be like if black people could leap tall buildings, but they still got treated like dirt.

You don't understand. If White people have to behave in 2016, so do The Blacks because you're all perfectly equal and have the exact same level of power and influence now.

See, this is what people are missing. The world is not an equal, fair place. I'm sorry white people, but yes, there are certain things that are more acceptable for some races to do than others. Having stories exclusively about their own race is one of those things.

Someone hasn't really kept track of Rightclops I see (may he rest in peace)

Kin5290

Seriously. Black Women get it the worse out of every fucking one. I can't even get a damn anime with a strong black female lead.
Yeah good luck finding black female characters in visual media. If there is one in this comic it'll probably be a minor girlfriend character or something.

I wanted a Rachel Brooks spinoff, damn it.

It's going to be like X-Men, but instead of being a Mutant it's going to be being born black.

The entire premise of the X-Men is the mutant struggle for equality........almost as if they drew upon some historical context for the basis of the universe.

Honestly in X-Men they should just go and kill all non-mutants. Like.... how fucking dumb are humans in that universe? You have people thinking it is a good idea to verbally/physically assault someone who can shoot acid or some shit.

The way I see it is that whole angle sounds like "all lives matter" to me. Sure if it were a comic about only white people having superpowers it would be shot down by everyone for being racist. But white people have had the luxury of not being in a position where a comic like this would ever be a good idea.(although plenty of comics are whites only with powers) White people have an endless supply of relatable characters to look up to. White people don't need to be empowered when it comes to race. We have black history month and not white history month. Black pride is not the same as white pride. For us to really be equal we need to not get our panties in a bunch anytime black people do or want something that white people cant do or have when it comes to race. White people owe black people at least that much.

Syriel

They happen to have genes required for superpowers. But nothing in the story states that they believe that makes them genetically superior.

And the idea of specific genes giving certain people an advantage over others isn't even a new concept in fiction.

For a non-comic example, you've got Stargate Atlantis.

So what i've learned is, as long as they don't come out and say all the people with super powers are black, but some how conveniently make it that way.. It's fine?

TheDanger

Banned

Maybe the powers are tied to melanin/melanocytes. In which case it isn't about race.

Well if one DNA is capable of super powers and the other one isn't, the first one is superior to me, maybe that is subjective.

So what i've learned is, as long as they don't come out and say all the people with super powers are black, but some how conveniently make it that way.. It's fine?

I mean, that's how it is in mainstream superhero comics. Nobody has powers just for being white (other than captain america lol), they just all conveniently are white and typically in wrong place/wrong time situations.

zy0P1Wn.gif

There's Michiko to Hatchin for this. I like the main character, but I don't think the anime is all that good. It's sort of strange. It's the only one I can think of that stars one.

Thanks. That assuages my concerns for the art. The lines looked rough in that video, but if the final outcome with the coloring looks like that, I'll be content.

And I'm peacing out now.

FartOfWar

Banned
Comics that target the white male demographic = The last 50+ years of the comicbook industry. If blacks ask for better representation and more characters, or a black character takes up the mantle of a white character, they're told to make their own comics instead.

Which leads to...

Comics that target the black demographic = Supporting segregation and double standards, and whataboutisms.

America™

The fool isn't from America though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Coulda been Michiko and Hatchin, if Michiko wasn't so obsessed with Mr. Hiroshi "Aint Shit" Morenos.

Honestly in X-Men they should just go and kill all non-mutants. Like.... how fucking dumb are humans in that universe? You have people thinking it is a good idea to verbally/physically assault someone who can shoot acid or some shit.

Sentinels exist in that univers as a means of control.

I'm sure this universe will have a similar tool to try and control a world of super powered minorities.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People are surprised there arent anime with black female leads. I mean how many anime have black male leads?

You're hung up way too much on the race part. Its a McGuffin used in order to tell a specific story or address a particular situation. These are used all the time in all sorts of storytelling. Y The Last Man used a rather silly plot device in much the same way. This was a comic about what the world would be like with no men. It certainly does not make the comic or its creators divisive. It just means they used this particular McGuffin to tell their unique story. It opens up all sorts of creative avenues. I think this particular comic could be quite unique and interesting.

However, it seems laden with cultural land mines. It would seem very difficult to create this without being judged on every single creative turn by not only overly sensitive white dudes, but also the overly sensitive members of the black community as well.

Vice

I'm sure this universe will have a similar tool to try and control a world of super powered minorities.
Three of the characters on the KS pge seems to be government agents who "protect" the world from super powered individiuals.

Sentinels are machines made by humans right? Or no?

Like mutants should have established dominance way before thoe could be invented.

Like mutants should have established dominance way before thoe could be invented.

By the time they were able to connected globally, the technology caught up with them.

It's not like the highlander where they feel the quickening.

Jenenser

i think he does care about context.
thats why he can't understand.

exchange every race in the title and every black to white and you would have a nazis wet dream comic.

i think you are all to harsh on him for his point of view that isn't even malicious.

Vice

Most mutants just wanted to lead normal lives. The ones who wanted to be dominant had mixed results. By the time you started getting groups if mutants working together, humans had figured out guns.

Well if one DNA is capable of super powers and the other one isn't, the first one is superior to me, maybe that is subjective.

Um it is because the literal thesis of a series such as Xmen is that despite a genetic difference between mutants and humans, superiority is a lie villains like Magneto thrive in to justify avoiding and denying their humanity. Much of superhero fiction explores the fact that everyone is human including the costumed set and having powers doesn't automatically mean you lose your humanity. You posit that you call this racist just on its basic premise because the reverse set up would be racist when in fact it's entirely possible to tell a story about the fact that despite differences of any kind people are still entitled to their humanity and aren't very different from anyone else when push comes to shove with both set ups. The reason why this is a better way to go with it is based on the more macro-level issue that actually exists of marginalization of stories where minorities take center stage. It's a more unique and relevant direction for the cast and story to use a currently continually maligned group of people both within the conversation of mainstream fiction and out into actual society.

i think he does care about context.
thats why he can't understand.

exchange every race in the title and every black to white and you would have a nazis wet dream comic.

i think you are all to harsh on him for his point of view that isn't even malicious.

Oh for fucks sake......you know what I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom