• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is currently the most demanding PC game?

Codes 208

Do unoptimized games like ghost hunter corps count?

Otherwise for me its halo infinite. My 2070 cant even hit 120fps with the lowest settings at 1080p

Stuart360

Cyberpunk and Flight Sim standout, although Flight Sim is a lot easier to run now with the Xbox optimizations the PC version got.
Crysis Remastered still runs like shit for a lot of people, but the devs said it was pretty much designed that way (trying to get back that 'But can it run Crysis' title sigh).

Assassins Creed Odyssey is still high up there in terms of cpu usage. Ubisofts recent games have actually been much better in terms of cpu usage. They finally seem to have a grasp on that problem lately.

Kuranghi

Star Citizen or Flight Simulator I'd guess. Cyberpunk 2077 as a close runner up.

I mean, what CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD do you need to play SC at 4K60 (LOCKED I mean) + Max Settings? I don't know if thats even remotely possible.

Kuranghi

Otherwise for me its halo infinite. My 2070 cant even hit 120fps with the lowest settings at 1080p

Uhhh, surely you're CPU locked at 1080p? It has nothing to do with your 2070, you need a better CPU. Certainly if you've lowered the settings as well as running at 1080p.

skneogaf

There are cpu intensive games that won't let the gpu do as much as they can and vice versa.

Interested to know which games are most demanding cpu, gpu wise and the gpu ones with and without ray tracing.

Braag

From what I've played, CP2077 is very hard to run at stable frames without DLSS and Flight Sim also fucks your PC up pretty good.

I think it might be Watch Dogs Legion. Even a 3070 can't handle raytracing and the hd texture pack together. The game really flew under the radar because it was so bad, but visually it's actually really cutting edge.

Beechos

I remember people saying that amazon mmo a new world i think it was called was putttinh their pc's to work.

Stuart360

There are cpu intensive games that won't let the gpu do as much as they can and vice versa.

Interested to know which games are most demanding cpu, gpu wise and the gpu ones with and without ray tracing.
Tech sites used to use WatchDogs 2 and AC Odyssey as cpu benchmarks. In fact when WatchDogs 2 released you needed a 6700k level cpu just to hit 60fps, and a 6700k was still pretty high end at that point, and you had zero luck with a I5 (I had a 6600k at that time and around 50fps was the best it could do with that game lol).
Not really sure about the current cpu demanding games as since i got my 2700X, and now 3700X, no game comes close to maxing ,my cpu, at 60fps i mean.

Cryio

Mm. With an RX 5700 XT / R5 3600, I'm doing 120 locked at all times at Medium 900p with quite a bit of overhead available. 1080p would present some drops in more chaotic moments.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Medium 900p
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

tusharngf

cyberpunk2077.. that shit never ran at max on my 3070. Did not try flight simulator as i am not into those games.

Buggy Loop

Cyberpunk 2077 is harder on my 3080 Ti than MSFS 2020 for sure. Although the frame times of Cyberpunk are better I find, unless they patched MSFS.

Honorable mention : Witcher 2 with ubersampling, still notorious even with modern hardware as it’s “PR screenshot mode” but enabled all the time. If you run native 4K it’ll render T 8K. It was a totally ridiculous setting proposition back in the days, and still is.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Star Citizen
Flight Simulator
Cyberpunk

In that order. Unless you have a M2 SSD for Star Citizen it's pretty much unplayable.

TheStam

Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator.
Played Red Dead Redemption before they introduced DLSS and could not dream of running it at 60 fps in 4k on a 2080ti.

Flight Sim easily.

it's the only game i have to cap at 30fps (on a 165hz monitor :messenger_tears_of_joy:) and even then it can still go to 20fps. most RAM i've seen it use is about 24GB lol. id it's the most demanding overall because it stresses all parts of your PC. it needs a good CPU for all the flight/computer/weather simulations, a beefy GPU because it's a damn good looking game, and fast RAM/storage because it's loading a shit load of data all the time. it's basically rendering the earth and needs to keep up with a plane that is travelling hundreds of miles per hour.

cyberpunk hits hard too with no DLSS and full raytracing on. with raytracing it drops to about 15-20fps. put ray tracing into Flight Simulator and well...good luck with that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cyberpunk for sure
Metro Exodus enhanced too. It's 35fps if you disable dlss on 3080

The Evil Within or GTA 4.

I don't think any PC can run those at steady 60fps.

Shitty code does count as demanding though, right?
i don't know about TEW but GTA 4 is a mess. I think Rockstar developed with PS3 in mind. they don't really care about PC users so it's basically a shit console port.

Poorly developed games are still demanding but just not because they use advanced tech. Off the top of my head Arma 3 is a game you can throw a shit load of power at and it doesn't make much difference. It came out about 8 and a half years ago. the engine it uses is a completely shit show. PCs today will still struggle with it. Games like DayZ + PUBG use (or used) the same engine as Arma which explains why it sucks.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Evil Within or GTA 4.

I don't think any PC can run those at steady 60fps.

Shitty code does count as demanding though, right?
oh man GTA 4 ! Absolutely ran like shit for years. That's why I always preferred 360 version (which also ran like shit but looked better)
I got 360 with gta 4 and I was blown away for weeks and months. The serious story tone, characters, details, city, physics.
Still the best gta easily. 5 is a crap in comparison

Last edited:

tronied

I have a 3090 setup and for me it’s Flight Sim. With everything maxed out at 4K it pushes my PC like no other and can barely maintain 25-30fps in places. Second to this is Cyberpunk which with everything maxed and DLSS balanced comes in at 45fps on average. Metro Exodus Ray Tracing edition I have to disagree with as at 4K with everything maxed out and HDR I am getting 100fps. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but performance is solid!

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Strangely, FS is very scalable, it can run on basically every older PCs with low settings.

Cyberpunk is as fluid as a brick.

Top Bottom