• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the hardest game you've ever played?

SJRB

Gold Member
TMNT-NES-Dam-Level-Michaelangelo-copy.jpg

TMNT on the NES is just overwhelmingly difficult.

In modern day gaming I would consider the final boss fight in Prototype to be crazy hard.

Three

That son of a Bitch

Thanks to this video game, I stopped being a fan of Donkey kong country for a long time.

I've actually done this 100% but ask me to beat Maximum Carnage on SNES and I get PTSD. I don't know why I find that game so difficult.

Last edited:
Beyond the Beyond a jrpg on PS1

As a kid I always got stuck in this tome where you go to lift this curse off one of the characters, never could figure it out and just got lost in the maze.

Sekiro is by far the hardest game I've beaten, some of the bosses easily took me over a hundred tries, the great ape was so intense when I beat it I was shaking from adrenaline, the final boss took me 3 whole nights to finish.

Cuphead is also up there, the trouble with that kind of difficulty is it dissuades you from ever playing the game twice, because why put yourself through that again? I haven't played the Cuphead DLC yet because I don't have the stomach for more of that.

Solidus_T

If there's some guy out there that has beaten Silver Surfer on NES, I would unironically vote for him for president.

There are many, many videos of people easily beating this game.

AVGN just gave it that reputation because he honestly is pretty bad at shmups. They take a different kind of patience and memory that goes beyond just twitch reflexes.

MarkMe2525

Got to say Predator for the NES. I think I got past the first section of the first level maybe once. (Not a good game and super hard.)
I played Predator on Genesis for the first time in 25 years the other day. To my surprise, 38 year old me finished it on my first playthrough. That game use to mop the floor with me when I was younger.

Silver Surfer on the NES

I don't know if was hard or just really poorly designed. I do remember throwing my NES at the wall in pure anger. I think it's also my first memory of experiencing rage.
Came here to post this, I beat it when I was young but I remember it being a horrible experience. I also remember Blaster Master being pretty rage inducing. OH and Battletoads. I swear Nes and transformers the movie might have corrupted me. Such heroic nonsense.

Fredrik

Fist 2 - C64 (finished with save state)

Shadow of the Beast - Amiga (impossible)
Shadow of the Beast 2 - Amiga (impossible)

Adventures of Link (finished with save state)

Super Ghouls n Ghosts (2 runs makes it hard)

Ikaruga (impossible for humans)

Hollow Knight (finished but would be impossible to 100%)

Demon’s Souls (doable, but still unfinished)

Bloodborne (possibly doable but the fps annoys me enough to not try hard enough, will try again on a remake)

Elden Ring (finished many times, all I feel for some bosses is hate, pure hatred)

Returnal (finished with save cloud)

100% Metroid Dread (main game is not hard but some of those shinespark puzzles are crazy)

Phobos Base

Super Empire Strikes Back SNES - even the opening stage is complete insanity
Gremlins 2 Game Boy - got it as a kid, could never get past the second level
Battletoads - obvious choice, but there's a reason
Castlevania Dracula X - yeah they've always been hard, but this is just BS hard
Contra Hard Corps - no idea how anyone beat the Western release, it wasn't remotely balanced
Mario Lost Levels - basically a troll game before such a thing existed

xrnzaaas

Gotta be one of the hardcore simulations from the 90s that required to read a big ass instruction manual to understand the basics. You know, something like Carriers at War.

Thumper was very difficult for me if we're talking about modern games. It was okay until about level 4 and I understood that my skill will never reach a level necessary to finish the game, let alone to master the levels.

EDMIX

Life bitch, the fuck lol

Lolz aside, probably the original Demon Souls (many of PS3 controller violently broken) lol

H4ze

There are a ton of hard games, but I remember raging sooo fucking hard on the call of duty SP campagnes on veteran.
I finished them all up until black ops 2, after that game I was done with the cod franchise (cuz the Multiplayer started to suck)

But that granade spam and cheap aimbot npc's made my blood boil like nothing else.

mopspear

Silver Surfer on the NES

I don't know if was hard or just really poorly designed. I do remember throwing my NES at the wall in pure anger. I think it's also my first memory of experiencing rage.
Do you mean the controller or the whole NES? I gotta know!

Fuz

Banned
I want to add another type of gaming difficulty.
Reading about broken controllers, I broke a few joysticks with Combat School/Boot Camp on the C=64. That game was physically hard.

Pretty cool how it went from boot camp to action, kind of like Full Metal Jacket (which I guess was the main inspiration for it).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Played it when I was young, but I dnt think thats the reason it was hard. You could tell by the way the game plays and watching YT videos it's a difficult game, but for any old timers who played Sinistar in the arcade you know what I mean.

Fist 2 - C64 (finished with save state)

Shadow of the Beast - Amiga (impossible)
Shadow of the Beast 2 - Amiga (impossible)

Adventures of Link (finished with save state)

Super Ghouls n Ghosts (2 runs makes it hard)

Ikaruga (impossible for humans)

Hollow Knight (finished but would be impossible to 100%)

Demon’s Souls (doable, but still unfinished)

Bloodborne (possibly doable but the fps annoys me enough to not try hard enough, will try again on a remake)

Elden Ring (finished many times, all I feel for some bosses is hate, pure hatred)

Returnal (finished with save cloud)

100% Metroid Dread (main game is not hard but some of those shinespark puzzles are crazy)
Funny. I don't have issues with any new games generally until new game plus or higher. I thought Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring were the three easiest fromsoft games. And in that order.

ShakenG

Don't know if its my hardest but i always found Motorstorm extremely frustrating with the Rubberbanding AI.

Pallas

Gold Member
To be honest? There are several hard games I’ve played on the NES but the most annoying game was probably Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 campaign on the hardest difficulty. That one mission in the jungles was insane.

MP!

games were never harder than arcades NES, SNES and genesis.
look there's some hard games after that time ... but one can eventually beat Souls games.

You cannot beat ghosts and goblins

sedg87

Banned
Another vote for Alunda. I got stuck on a puzzle in that desert place where you had the sun, moon and star thingies that you had to put in the right order. I remember phoning up one of those premium cheat hotlines to try and get something to help but obviously, that would never work out. Looking back probably one of the worst mistakes I've made in life. Not for feeling stupid that I couldn't get past that part, but more so the absolute terror of seeing my dad storming toward me and asking me why I've spent over £200 or whatever on the phone. Woops.

Ninja Gaiden Black. This game gave me the second best beating of my life, the first being my dad for the reason above.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't know if its my hardest but i always found Motorstorm extremely frustrating with the Rubberbanding AI.
Rubberbanding in racing games are the worst. I dont play tons of racing games, but it sure seems every time I've played GT and Forza, if you dick around or crash it's easy to catch up to the AI pack. But if you blow by them, the final lap they all seem to amp up and catch you making it a close call.

I'll always remember in GT1 or 2, there were some races I'd go up against I think a mustang musclecar. I dont remember if it was that but it was a US branded car. It would always blow by me at the beginning, let me catch up and sometimes let me surpass it. Then the final lap it would get some kind of rubberband boost and catch me like Knight Rider. It was so obvious the AI had some weird shit going on instead of just racing a normal match from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom