• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we gonna stop pretending that females can be just as effective in combat as males?

V2Tommy

Not sure if this a new fancy woke language, but "females" sounds weird.

Right? It's one of those new terms to make a point, except that all it does is make the speaker sound like they just learned English yesterday. The rest of us just say "women."

TMLT

Lmao that is so wrong on so many levels... Grow some balls please.

Pointlessly vague reply, cant even tell whether you're for or against OPs initial statements based on this. What exactly is your issue with what I said?

Psykodad

Banned
There are not only strenght differences, men are much faster than women, much more athletic, much more resistent, etc... I mean, it's literally basic biology.

But I guess that makes biology sexist.
Again, nobody is arguing that.

But any woman who knows how to fight, can knock you out. Period.
In general, people don't even know how to properly throw a punch, so a woman killing a man isn't something out of the realm of possibilities. Not to mention if she's using a weapon.

(talking about Abby in this case)

Anyway, why don't you ask a female to hit you on or near the temple of your head and take it like a man, see if you can take it without even blinking.

In fact, just go to youtube and look up "woman knocks out man". Pretty sure there's plenty of examples.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Right? It's one of those new terms to make a point, except that all it does is make the speaker sound like they just learned English yesterday. The rest of us just say "women."
You must not be familiar with the "gender is a social construct" types on social media... 👀

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Not looking to insult or belittle, but I really don't see why anyone cares about this stuff.

I brought this up in another thread a while back. I believe people were talking about Nadine beating Nate. I'm not a fighter, but I know a couple of them. For example my brother-in-law is big into BJJ & always watching MMA stuff. We've spoke about this. I think that men will overpower women the majority of the time, but it's not outwith the realms of possibility that a determined, trained woman will put down a man.

So I really don't mind if we have a Nadine (trained pro) beating a Nate (not a trained pro).

(& this is not only because it doesn't seem unrealistic to me, but also because I actually want to see my hero getting knocked down. I want to cheer for them when they get back up again)

Anyway, I extend this to playing as a woman, like Lara, & taking out entire armies over the course of a game. Yeah, it's unrealistic. It's also unrealistic to do that as Nate. Everybody's got different boundaries. Me personally, I'd draw my line in the sand if Lara started flying & shooting fireballs out of her eyes. That would seem a bit much. I'm not going to quibble over a lack of realism because it's a woman who's doing the Indiana Jones stuff & not a man.

MastaKiiLA

Not looking to insult or belittle, but I really don't see why anyone cares about this stuff.

I brought this up in another thread a while back. I believe people were talking about Nadine beating Nate. I'm not a fighter, but I know a couple of them. For example my brother-in-law is big into BJJ & always watching MMA stuff. We've spoke about this. I think that men will overpower women the majority of the time, but it's not outwith the realms of possibility that a determined, trained woman will put down a man.

So I really don't mind if we have a Nadine (trained pro) beating a Nate (not a trained pro).

(& this is not only because it doesn't seem unrealistic to me, but also because I actually want to see my hero getting knocked down. I want to cheer for them when they get back up again)

Anyway, I extend this to playing as a woman, like Lara, & taking out entire armies over the course of a game. Yeah, it's unrealistic. It's also unrealistic to do that as Nate. Everybody's got different boundaries. Me personally, I'd draw my line in the sand if Lara started flying & shooting fireballs out of her eyes. That would seem a bit much. I'm not going to quibble over a lack of realism because it's a woman who's doing the Indiana Jones stuff & not a man.
Game inventory alone makes the realism argument completely nonsensical. Why can I carry the combined inventory of an Amazon warehouse, and a redneck superstore in my fanny pack or satchel? It's just not realistic. But you'll have to pry that ability from my cold dead fingers, because it's an important part of gaming.

zcaa0g

Banned
It's done in today's TV shows and movies as well. Women are also the best snipers and hackers in the world as well. At a base level, there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is it comes off as disingenuous because they are overdoing it to make up for seismic in the past when it comes to these mediums. In summary, it's fucking stupid.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Game inventory alone makes the realism argument completely nonsensical. Why can I carry the combined inventory of an Amazon warehouse, and a redneck superstore in my fanny pack or satchel? It's just not realistic. But you'll have to pry that ability from my cold dead fingers, because it's an important part of gaming.

Well yeah. This is what I meant when I said everybody's got different boundaries. We all draw the line at a different place in the sand.

Apocryphon

You wouldn't believe that I've beaten something more than a few guys way bigger and stronger than me (in challenges)*. And that Pitt/Lee scene is exactly proving my point, you don't just hit somebody, you lure him into hitting you, protect youserlf and reverse the situation. Once you get hitten hard or in a weak spot, the normal reaction is to succumb to pain, leaving a lot of room for the opponent to keep hitting. Many don't how easy it is, but if someone is punching you, the stronger he is(read: SLOWER), the easier it is to counter his attack and throw him on the ground, you don't need to be that strong since he's the one applying all the force that would make him eventually fly. Since Ellie uses melee wepons, I don't think it's so strange for her to dodge faster and then counter with a deadly blade, especially since she kills for a living. I'm watching again some bits of Horizon (it has been a looong time), and yes probably a weaker individual wouldn't be able to resist such strong attacks, but trust me women can be deadly in combat too. All of this of course is possible if and only if: they don't get hit first and they are trained enough. I believe speed is more essential in combat rather than brute force. Sorry for being explicit, but my martial art mixes as much styles and combat ranges as possible (biting, LOL), some years ago some guys even traveled to USA to train for shooting :messenger_fearful:
Obviously, since this is what you are all thinking about, a man punching a woman usually takes her directly to coma, but aggressors in general, due to the adrenaline rush, don't think about the possible response from the target, so there's still a chance. And to use such speeds, you need to have a sharp mind and train yourself daily, plus you must have motivation: getting beaten since you were 8 years old, having Neogaf laugh at you, feeling the rush to protect Joel and the likes.

Yes, I've missed a line and misread weapon's list, sorry.

EDIT: I'm seeing things today sorry xD

And there I was thinking you were joking all along 😆 In fact, you're just a 12 year old.

Tomeru

Pointlessly vague reply, cant even tell whether you're for or against OPs initial statements based on this. What exactly is your issue with what I said?

Funny that you call my post pointless when all you said was that the problem is agressive unattractive females.

You really couldnt tell if my post was for or against?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
True. Question's though why we keep getting more female protags but standard NPC enemies are mostly still men. Or would that be unrealistic? :lollipop_thescream:

For me personally only BioShock Infinite comes to mind that had quite a few female thugs running around.
Bethesda RPGs do a good job of mixing it up as well.

K.N.W.

Exactly. It is supposed to be a big, memorable, tough fight with a "boss". Indie and Nate were having big trouble beating their respective opponents but in other games you plow through these enemies like they are made of tissue paper, whether you are a man or a woman, and it looks ridiculous.

Bruh...no. Example 1 (fast climbers, extremely muscular), example 2 (a decathlon athlete, very muscular), example 3 (now go and tell me Dwayne Johnson is slow). Muscles never slow you down, good Lord, they are the ones that make you move!
Example no. 1 is great: they look like me, just a bit bigger ! But they have nothing to do with fighters....
A decathlon athlete too, is defferent from a fighter: he has to run faster in straight line, not slide around somebody/his punches.
And Dwayne is fast, but not as fast as those guys: fastest boxers ever, mostly of which are indeed smaller than Dwayne!

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
In real life sure, but seeing as you've decide to make this about video games, who fucking cares?
They aren't real people, and most games aren't in anyway realistic. Many of which are power fantasies.

If you can suspend your disbelief for a single man taking on huge armies of physically strong men; or taking hundreds of bullets to the face only to crouch down for period to feel better, than you can do that with female characters as well.

TMLT

Funny that you call my post pointless when all you said was that the problem is agressive unattractive females.

You really couldnt tell if my post was for or against?

I meant that the way they've been pushing female empowerment in the last few years is unappealing, unattractive and confrontational, I wasnt talking specifically about any actual individual females or what they look/act like, though I can see how you might have misinterpeted that. Back in the day "female empowerment" was shit like the Spice Girls, Charlies Angels, Buffy, Tomb Raider etc etc, it was much more playful and felt more like celebrating women than trying to fuck with the concept of masculinity/femininity. Theres often a toxic, antagonistic and just unpleasant undertone to todays situation that wasnt there before.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I meant that the way they've been pushing female empowerment in the last few years is unappealing, unattractive and confrontational, I wasnt talking specifically about any actual individual females or what they look/act like, though I can see how you might have misinterpeted that. Back in the day "female empowerment" was shit like the Spice Girls, Charlies Angels, Buffy, Tomb Raider etc etc, it was much more playful and felt more like celebrating women than trying to fuck with the concept of masculinity/femininity. Theres often a toxic, antagonistic and just unpleasant undertone to todays situation that wasnt there before.

Yes there is, but its not coming from where you think it comes.

Drewpee

Banned
Tomb Raider, TLOU, Horizon are just a few examples of games (I know there are more but these stuck to me) I played this gen where you’re made to believe that physically significantly weaker sex can overpower hordes of men like they are joke. I don’t mind having female leads but it does create huge ludonarrative dissonance in my head.

So I’m playing modern Tomb Raider for the first time since it‘s PS Plus monthly game and notion that she can just strangle big muscle men with her bow like it’s nothing is absurd. It doesn’t work. I know people will mention how it’s also not realistic that Nathan Drake can gun down hundreds of people in his games but I think about it this way: if he can win in a single gunfight against 1 man it’s realistic in people’s minds that he can win in multiple ones.
Now, chances of any female winning in a single fight against physically larger and stronger men in real life is very small. Maybe through some trick or cleverness but not likely. Yet you can see what Ellie does or Lara or Alloy or anyone else.

I’m not emphasizing skill with guns because, obviously, females can be almost just as good there (although also not likely) or in cases where your enemies are zombies like in Resident Evil or similar games.

My point is, yes, make games with female leads as much as you like (though vast majority of AAA gamers are male) but put them in realistic scenarios that don’t always necessarily have to include melee violence because it just feels off.

Most people have already let you know how backwards your argument is so I wont take that approach, I will just share my personal story.

I am the father of 3 girls and I NEVER paid attention to my character until my young daughters started pointing it out to me. Anytime I played a game that involved a female character they would always notice "Daddy your playing as a girl?!" Their faces lit up anytime I told them yes. Needless to say I play as a female character for any game that allows it now just so my daughters see themselves represented.

I think the reason that I never paid attention to my character was not because I am some amazingly great person, it is just because I see myself (straight white male) represented everywhere and never had to worry about representation.

Diversity matters and we need to be open to it as gamers.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Excuse me, did you ever get into fighting sports?? Do you know what you are talking about?

Not that it's relevant to the conversation but I boxed from 14 to 32. More relevant are the fights I have been involved in outside of the ring. I grew up poor in South Manchester in the UK; I know how to fight.

Do me a favour.. should be easy...

Find me a video where a petite Asian guy like you mentioned, uses his sick martial arts to fuck up a much bigger guy. Something that shows the opposite of what Xu Xiaodong has been doing for years...

Speed, agility, and conditioning are super important, but there's a very obvious reason why all serious combat sports are separated into weight classes.

Silvawuff

Female main characters are not the issue , It's the obvious "look at me" that snaps gamers out of the experience. When creators deliberately say they are doing this for an "inclusivity" goal they are implying the "role play" will have elements that are not integral to the experience. therefore undermining their own work.

in a game like HorizonZD I didn't feel anything out of place. Aloy felt believably motivated by her circumstances and world and personal resolve.

You really summed up my thoughts about this. Aloy is definitely the gal to look at here. I love her character design because it makes sense for the world/narrative she's in.

K.N.W.

Speed, agility, and conditioning are super important, but there's a very obvious reason why all serious combat sports are separated into weight classes.
Not if you're training specifically to fight with people of a different size.
Anyway, many sports won't teach you how to transform someone's punch into his fall and/or broken arm: even if someone is smaller he can still let you fall to the ground by using your own force, and if done properly, it's easy to incapacitate someone's arm.
I still believe that a girl with a knife can dodge somebody's attack and stab him to death, especially if she knows how to do so. I don't know how to explain it to people from other sports, but defences (dodges and blocks) are the key to combat.

Rikoi

I don't know how to explain it to people from other sports, but defences (dodges and blocks) are the key to combat.
I don't wanna sound rude, but you sound like someone that is not very trained as much as you would make us think.
The bolded phrase makes me think that. Blocking an hit from a man with an arm triple size than you with your little arm would only lead you to broken bones. Also if you are shorter and have shorter arms, you can't hit and dodge at the same time. You either dodge (so you get far from him) or you hit, but since you got shorter arms you will still need to get in his range.

I'm a martial artist and I care for my body to not grow to much muscles: it would slow me down, and I wouldn't be able to hit quickly, dodge or parry.
This part made me cringe so much. This is an old saying that was used like 20 years ago. This is why mainstream movies are bad, they teach unrealistic stuff which people believe are real.
First of all, there is no way you can build "much muscles", if you are a woman and if you don't use steroids. Even for a man, it's incredibly hard unless you sleep and eat properly. And you gotta do this for years. Looks like more women (and men too) are acknowledging this from what I noticed when I go to the gym (I'm also seeing some girls attempting bench press, a thing that would be very rare 15 years ago), but it will still take years for the majority to understand.
The only things that muscles will do are positive one of which is striking harder.
Weight is what might slow you down, not muscles, but unless your body is 50% fat this is not a thing you should worry much about.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Not if you're training specifically to fight with people of a different size.
Anyway, many sports won't teach you how to transform someone's punch into his fall and/or broken arm: even if someone is smaller he can still let you fall to the ground by using your own force, and if done properly, it's easy to incapacitate someone's arm.
I still believe that a girl with a knife can dodge somebody's attack and stab him to death, especially if she knows how to do so. I don't know how to explain it to people from other sports, but defences (dodges and blocks) are the key to combat.

Train in whatever you want but do me a favour and don't stand up to a bunch of hench dudes in a bar like you see in the movies. You'll get butchered.

Last edited by a moderator:

K.N.W.

I don't wanna sound rude, but you sound like someone that is not very trained as much as you would make us think.
The bolded phrase makes me think that. Blocking an hit from a man with an arm triple size than you with your little arm would only lead you to broken bones. Also if you are shorter and have shorter arms, you can't hit and dodge at the same time.
You're nitpicking, no one would block and hit like that, and I didn't refer to women ever doing such thing.

You either dodge (so you get far from him) or you hit, but since you got shorter arms you will still need to get in his range.
If you get away, each shot will hit you harder. You should get closer instead.

This part made me cringe so much. This is an old saying that was used like 20 years ago. This is why mainstream movies are bad, they teach unrealistic stuff which people believe are real.
I don't watch those movies sorry.

Train in whatever you want but do me a favour and don't stand up to a bunch of hench dudes in a bar like you see in the movies. You'll get butchered.
.... Why are even thinking about that?? I'm talking about defence.

reptilex

Banned
Tomb Raider, TLOU, Horizon are just a few examples of games (I know there are more but these stuck to me) I played this gen where you’re made to believe that physically significantly weaker sex can overpower hordes of men like they are joke. I don’t mind having female leads but it does create huge ludonarrative dissonance in my head.

So I’m playing modern Tomb Raider for the first time since it‘s PS Plus monthly game and notion that she can just strangle big muscle men with her bow like it’s nothing is absurd. It doesn’t work. I know people will mention how it’s also not realistic that Nathan Drake can gun down hundreds of people in his games but I think about it this way: if he can win in a single gunfight against 1 man it’s realistic in people’s minds that he can win in multiple ones.
Now, chances of any female winning in a single fight against physically larger and stronger men in real life is very small. Maybe through some trick or cleverness but not likely. Yet you can see what Ellie does or Lara or Alloy or anyone else.

I’m not emphasizing skill with guns because, obviously, females can be almost just as good there (although also not likely) or in cases where your enemies are zombies like in Resident Evil or similar games.

My point is, yes, make games with female leads as much as you like (though vast majority of AAA gamers are male) but put them in realistic scenarios that don’t always necessarily have to include melee violence because it just feels off.

Besides the fact that you don't know shit about actual combat (which has almost nothing to do morphology, but tactic, movement, impact, body targeting or...weapons which makes most of the previous point mute), you don't know shit about anthropology either.

Now I could agree that combat overall could be more realistic but since when was that a problem in any or -all- video games?

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Hand to hand with punching it really depends on who we are talking about: a dude and a lady in peak physical condition could both kick my ass.

A dude and a lady in peak condition would be one sided in a punching fight against each other but guns and weapons and less punchy martial arts where the goal is to strangle a dude or snap their neck are the great equalizer.

Which is why I’m encouraging my daughter to get a CCW when she’s old enough. Side political note you would think more women should be pro 2A because of this: shoot that would be sexual assaulter in the chest.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima got a straight man, honorable, traditional. That made the critics go hard on it just like Days Gone. Just watch the User critics in metacritics of both games. Pansy people are controlling the media right now, it's worrying.

Saying so, Lara Croft, Aloy, Ellie are more of a distance fighters with guns/arrows than brawlers, and they get smashed by brutes in close combat. With tools they can out-smart some men and beat them.

Except she's packing some real muscle...

giphy.gif

PolyanaViana_twitter.jpg

This woman could kick the shit out of a lot of guys. There's plenty of women out there that would fare better in combat than a man would. If all things were equal, probably not, but not everything in life is equal. Besides that, it's a video game, not real life. Some suspension of disbelief is required to have a good time.

She looks like a weedy 17 year old teenage boy who just started lifting.

You know this as well as I do: a 75kg+ drunk man who did boxing once would absolutely destroy this glorified fitness instructor. He wouldn't need to do anything. He could just rugby tackle her and sit on her.

OP has a point.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
You said:

And I just clarified to you that there's not only vast strength differences, there's vast differences in almost every metric that is an advantadge in a physical confrontation.

And I say that too because there is this widespread notion that men are stronger but women are faster and quicker, which is a lot of well intentioned bullshit. Men are also much faster, quicker and coordinated than women. The athleticism of men is simple leagues and leagues above of the women's.

I mean, have you seen a WNBA game or a female soccer game? It's fucking hilarious how clumsy, slow and weak they are.
This is what happens when a generation of people are brainwashed in school and the media into believing that everyone is special and females can do anything males can do. Common sense, logic, and science goes out the window.

idrago01

Banned
I prefer female lead with great ASSets. Screw realism because video games.
I'd agree with you, but since feminists and their cucked male allies are in charge do you honestly think there is any hope for any feminine or attractive female lead in a non-CDPR western AAA game.

TheWisp

I present to you:

latest

Cloud. A skinny guy using a giant blade. When are going to stop pretending stuff like this is not possible!??

It's games. Stop taking it so seriously.

Top Bottom