• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many here want the Xbox to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Dial back the console war bait. Don't live in the land of make believe.
Media has a clear bias towards Sony and therefore negativity towards the Xbox brand is amplified. Regular people just echo that. Xbox current situation isn’t worse than in 2013 so no need to worry.

Topher

Gold Member
I can't speak for others but I am not happy that Xbox is in a bad place at all. This simply is not where I expected Xbox to be right now. Talking about a problem doesn't mean people find joy in the problem.

Yes, there are plenty of warriors who find pleasure when Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo have bad moments. Not much you can do about that.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The game quality would probably suffer as well.
They weren’t around when one company controlled 99% of the market to remember the absolute bangers that produced.

rnsjnk82aofxfhcpjtqj.png

hussar16

Competition is good but Microsoft is not good competition but more problematic and toxic for the gaming base. I doubt Sony would ever buy a third person company Like Activision even when they are winning. Xbox is making gaming worse. So Xbox duying is good for gaming as they are toxic competition . They want the activisions deal so they force sony to put their Xbox game pass on their console. Nobody is stupid xbox. Xbox wanted to be done with consoles and switch to subscription like Netflix basicly do no work but just profit and monopolize the whole industry. They are very problamatic

Last edited:

Tsaki

Most of your points are wrong and highly speculative.
Xbox's failings are of their own mistakes. People see MS make statements that their new studios will get bigger budgets and more polish and then release the turd that is Redfall just to boost Game Pass. Can't help but laugh at that.

hussar16

I want Xbox to beat PS this gen so that they can start putting in effort again. Sony has gotten so complacent over the past 10 years it's ridiculous.
Xbox wants to be lazy and not put effort. They are forcing a Activision deal so they force sony to put their Xbox game pass on playstation.i mean it's pretty easy to see what they are doing.

StueyDuck

It's just the hotness right now because of social media. Everyone's talking about it and you get free cool points when you join in.

Just wait till June and the showcase then everyone will change their minds.

(I do want consolidation and acquisitions of publishers to die and horrible painful death however, fuck that shit)

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The only reason people are happy with Redfall review scores is because it shows MS that they aren't taking the right path to success. You can't win a gen by blindly buying publishers and IPs, you need to do the work, you can't buy shortcuts just because you have tons of money.
Gamers want reasons to own both platforms, not for one platform to stop existing and reducing choices/variety even more.

No one wants Xbox to fail. It's the management that wants to exit the competition. Moreover, why xbox is failing?

1) They are living in Xbox 360 era, where at time Nintendo or PC gaming did not matter much and social media was also not evolved like it did now.
2) Now MS competition is not with PS or Nintendo but new teenage group who are prefers to build PC or PS5 (Mostly PC) due to vast majority of benefits, library, and cheap games.
3) So MS knew before hand of Xbox Series S or X launch that PC gaming will be future as well as PS5 that is why they are now launching their games on PC ,otherwise both would not have even care like in PS3 or Xbox 360 era.
4) MS real issue is that they do not care about competing with PS5 anymore and they are approach is more towards become a publisher and force Xbox sales along with game pass on PC
5) PC gaming has changed many things and many developments are down now on PC.
6) MS is going to their old ways like Age of Empire 2 and publish more and more game PC and they even might even leave Xbox in the future and make games or publish them on PC and PS5 (yes even on PS series)

MS was never a console industry anyway that that is why they do not care much as it seems and their major source of income is Windows and other diversification.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was an Xbox gamer primarily for almost 20 years. I don’t want it to fail. I want it to be better. It’s just not good enough right now, and it sucks that Xbox gamers have to sit around and wait till next year indefinitely.

I do want the game pass business model to fail though, and that’s primarily because I don’t think it will result in better games.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Phil Spencer said PlayStation isn't a competitor and Xbox's main focus is on streaming services, before the latest consoles released.

I can't see a reason for Microsoft to keep producing Xbox consoles if that's the case. He even said it again in the Xcast podcast - Xbox can't and won't compete with PlayStation.

Next generation of consoles will be from Sony, Nintendo and maybe Apple.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I must confess that I have never seen this logo before. What have they done?
It was a shell company that was a result of Nintendo’s rule limiting how many games companies could release in a year. So companies like Konami and Acclaim made shell companies under different names and the result was some absolute trash being released.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't want Xbox to fail. I have a Series X, and think it's a great console.

Competition is only good for the consumer.

What I have an issue with is the way Xbox is being run by Phil and co. He's doing a bad job, and I find that frustrating as someone who wants a healthy video games industry.

i don’t think it was a good idea for them to buy zenimax. if/when starfield bombs i think thats it. I really want starfield to be good and succeed.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
This is the answer.

Anyone saying "people dont want Xbox to fail" clearly arent actually reading these threads.
If Xbox has a bad performing game, they are happy.
If Xbox has bad sales quarter, they are happy.
If an Xbox game reviews well, reviewers are shills.
Digital Foundry says PS5 is best way to play Game Y, they celebrate.....even if they were never going to play that game.
Digital Foundry says XSX is the best way to play Game X, they celebrate because the Series S version is worse than the PS5 version?
Flight Simulator is the most nextgen shit ive played, its not a game.

If Microsoft leaves the console business, we are truly fucked.....all of us.
You've got to laugh at them, they were not long ago crying that Hi Fi Rush is nothing to do with MS as it was in development before the acquisition, yet now they are certain that everything wrong with Redfall is down to Phil Spencer .
These people are so transparent it's embarrassing.

kyussman

Well there are console warriors,so there's that.I think a lot of people just want them to make better big games that do something special like PlayStation and Nintendo do.....but even their huge IP's like Halo are kinda half arsed,people think they should be doing better.
I don't think anyone in their right mind wants Sony to have the high end console market to themselves,I certainly don't.People rag on Microsoft in different ways,people shouldn't take everything so seriously.....I've been taking the piss constantly the last few days and I'm no fanboy....I hope Starfield is the best game ever,who wouldn't want to play that.
That interview yesterday has lowered my interest in Xbox though,not gonna lie....ooofffff.

Ozriel

M$FT
Then I hear 11/10 Starfield won't matter and I'm fucking dumbfounded, disappointed and angry.

Are you really making up things to be angry at?
There’s a difference between saying “even an 11/10 Starfield won’t make xbox reverse its console marketshare place with PlayStation this gen” and “a good Starfield doesn’t matter”

I do want the game pass business model to fail though, and that’s primarily because I don’t think it will result in better games.

But there’s no data to support this hypothesis, though. And Gamepass IS a good deal for many consumers.

People were pissed when Phil downplayed the importance of good games.

I’m pretty sure that weird interpretation of what Phil said is part of what OP is complaining about.

hussar16

I've bought every single Xbox (bar that piece of shit XSS), and Microsoft have been so goddamn inept since the Xbox One. Geeeeeeeezus just fire upper management already.
Theyr not inept. They know exactly what they are doing.they want a subscription model they can ride off and then make continuous bank without trying that's why all these buyouts were made. The netflix of gaming would monopolize the industry in their eyes as they would own the companies. Easy profit easy money notlw if Activision deal doesn't go threw they might be screwed.lets hope it doesnt

Unknown?

I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.
I don't think they want it to fail, they just want Phil to earn another award!

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think there's some persecution complex here.

Most people want Xbox to succeed. I want Xbox to succeed. Ideally they'd have 33% of the console market, or throw in 25% of the console market and bring back Sega. Ideally they'd all be on a race to the bottom in console price and a race to the top in title quality.

But then there's also the fact that most people see that Xbox isn't being able to compete, see their current trajectory is wrong because their handling of 1st parties is horrible and buying more studios and publishers is simply going to amplify everything bad that they already do.

Jormatar

Because I'd rather see them not buying games off from my preferred console. They can make fucking bangers like Halo and Gears with their studios and I'm Happy for them but fuck off buying 3rd party publishers like Bethesda and AB-K and then making those games exclusives just because you couldn't fix your ship with your own knowledge and talent.

StereoVsn

Most folks are rightly criticizing the shortcomings and failures of basically last decade as far as software goes. Folks are just frustrated and tired of promises of "next year will be great".

Microsoft has been dropping the ball since later half of Xbox 360 gen and even with all the acquisitions it hasn't gotten better.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't have that impression. Microsoft is under scrutiny and all the fans want them to do better. It's obvious to everyone here at the GAF that Microsoft has trouble managing its studios, and most of us are tired of excuses and promises. The feeling is one of disappointment and the desire for things to change for the better.

Also, I think a lot of us don't want them to have ABK, and that is understandable.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I don't want Xbox to fail

I want their strategies to fail. Acquisitions are harmful. Even if they stopped now they would be industry leading in studio numbers and if they can't compete with that then there are far bigger issues for them

I also think subscription models are going to lead to further harmful monetisation issues and a reduced quality in games

Last edited:

killatopak

Are you really making up things to be angry at?
There’s a difference between saying “even an 11/10 Starfield won’t make xbox reverse its console marketshare place with PlayStation this gen” and “a good Starfield doesn’t matter”
The implication is that a quality game won't matter and isn't a red flag for them.

I heard what Phil said about Red Fall how he wouldn't have released it if he thought it wouldn't have reviewed better and were tested internally. I heard him say the bugs were acceptable and the biggest issue was the 60fps.

Rumors that were right about the state of Redfall also were in the same sentence as Starfield.

I am a customer too. I own their product. I am subscribed to GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom