• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony keeps treating Horizon like it's golden child?

midnightAI

Sony is working to broaden the appeal of their properties beyond their consoles. Uncharted and Gran Turismo got movies, TLOU went to PC and has a TV show, and they are branching out with Horizon with PC games and a Lego crossover. Robot creatures is a good fit for Lego, even if they have to actually give Aloy a sense of humor to make Horizon work.
There is also a Horizon TV series coming and possibly an MMO/GaaS game

Last edited:

marjo

The Horizon games are the definition of middling. They're not terrible, but they're not good either. They're basically the video game equivalent of marvel movies. Which I guess helps explain why the sell well.

Rockman33

Mentioned two of those above, but I genuinely forgot Uncharted was rated Teen. 😯
I would have definitely guessed it was Mature.

Still, the Uncharted series seems to have concluded, especially given that Uncharted 4 is the conclusion of Nathan Drake. So it’s basically an inactive IP at this point.
The movie wasn’t too long ago. And I believe they are making a second. They released the collection on ps5 and PC not to long ago as well. I’d say a new one probably isn’t too far away, most likely not from naughty dog though.

Also I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t mature as well.

Rockman33

Spider-Man isn't owned by Sony, but the other two have way more games and other related media than Horizon (even if you include all the unreleased and rumoured projects). Just saying.
Character of Spiderman isn’t owned by Sony but the movie and video game rights certainly are. And they pimp him out probably more than any other IP since 2018.

Gears of war wasn’t owned by Xbox until the 4th or 5th game. And most people definitely connected gears to Xbox. Feel Sony has done the same thing with Spiderman at this point.

Last edited:

Edellus

I feel like I am the odd one out in these boards, because I loved both games. I think the play great, have great visuals, and the storylines have been very compelling.
I'm with you. But I don't think we're the odd ones. It's just that negative comments tend to be loudest even if they are the minority. The rest of us are happy in having played and enjoyed both games and eagerly waiting for the next one. We're not ones to usually to defend a game from the dislikes of others. There's no point in discussing and trying to convince people who already made up their minds. Besides, most reasons people tend to vocally and repeatedly dislike this franchise are very shallow and one dimensional, IMO.

I would think the fact that the franchise has sold really well and became popular really fast is reason enough to understand why Playstation would want to invest more in it. There's just that many of us who like it and want to see more of it.

People put too much emphasis on the sales. The first game benefited greatly from bundles. I bought the game at least five times. Once day one in Best Buy for myself, the rest in bundles for gifts. Plus it wasn’t that long after release that you could buy the complete edition for $20.

I have no idea what the sequels numbers are but again, bundled. Way way less than the first game was.

But it’s still a very smart move by Sony to allow whoever makes Lego games to use Horizon. Isn’t it something called TT Games? Anyway, they have a broad appeal main character fighting dinosaurs. They can explain her character and appeal the franchise to much younger people. You can have the main series appealing to older gamers and a Lego spinoff series appealing to kids. Could even get a cartoon series. And toys obviously.

nial

Gold Member
Because Hermen Hurst has a narcissist complex.
7MGuQ7X.jpeg

You gotta give him some credit sometimes.
K7UjSBu.jpeg

SaiyanRaoh

They really missed their opportunity at making Astrobot a great mascot. I don’t know why Sony hasn’t hitched their wagon to that character. All of the games are fun even they are more or less tech demos for whatever Sony is trying to push. This new game looks incredible. Maybe there is hope if it sells well.

nial

Gold Member
They really missed their opportunity at making Astrobot a great mascot. I don’t know why Sony hasn’t hitched their wagon to that character. All of the games are fun even they are more or less tech demos for whatever Sony is trying to push. This new game looks incredible. Maybe there is hope if it sells well.
It has been one in Japan since 2018, but Sony hasn't had much reason to really push it until now since Astro Bot 2024 is the first one in the series that's a full-length TV-based game.

jwaxeman

Aloy is a pretty awful character too.
I feel bad for saying it because the voice acting is fine but the writing is abysmal. That goes for everyone in the Horizon games. Aloy is actually the best of the bunch but it’s not saying much. Everyone is so poorly written.

The Horizon games are the definition of middling. They're not terrible, but they're not good either. They're basically the video game equivalent of marvel movies. Which I guess helps explain why the sell well.
Except Marvel movies havent sold well at all recently. The funny thing about people saying the writing is boring, is that Guerilla actually hired one of the writers who worked on Fallout New Vegas to craft the story of Horizon.

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Last edited:

Verchod

I did buy the first one when it was ported to pc as it has received praise, but I have to say I found out really boring. It plays like an assassin's creed game, but with a bit more polish.
I haven't finished it, and probably never will

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Except Marvel movies havent sold well at all recently. The funny thing about people saying the writing is boring, is that Guerilla actually hired one of the writers who worked on Fallout New Vegas to craft the story of Horizon.

The writing worked well in the first game. The second game just doesn’t have such a strong premise to build upon.

It honestly shouldn’t have had a direct sequel.

Reaseru

7MGuQ7X.jpeg

You gotta give him some credit sometimes.
K7UjSBu.jpeg

What? Are you trying (very subtlety) to tell to me that Stellar Blade turned out the way it did because of him? I think that credit goes to ShiftUp.

And when Project Eve was annouced in 2019 back then (as a multiplatform), he was still the Managing Director at Guerrilla. He wasn't the one who brought Project Eve to Playstation. He didn't invented that "wheel".

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
What? Are you saying to me that Stellar Blade turned out the way it did because of him? I think that credit goes to ShiftUp.
That's why I said 'some' and not 'all'.
And when Project Eve was annouced in 2019, back then as a multiplatform, he was still the Managing Director at Guerrilla. He wasn't the one who brought Project Eve to Playstation. He didn't "invented the wheel" back then.
He was the one who managed to get Sony to produce games in Asia outside of Japan, which in turn means that the Stellar Blade that exists today is thanks to his initiative, and was produced by his division.

Last edited:

Reaseru

He was the one who managed to get Sony to produce games in Asia outside of Japan, which in turn means that the Stellar Blade that exists today is thanks to his initiative, and was produced by his division.
Sony didn't produced nothing. The game was already in development before Sony invested on it.

They financed the game to become a exclusive. The dude is a suit. Always has been. To throw money even a Phil Spencer can do that, and he is not a gaming genius because of that.

Last edited:
Horizon is one of the most overrated franchises I’ve ever played. There is nothing special about it apart from pretty visuals.

nial

Gold Member
Sony didn't produced nothing. The game was already in development before Sony invested on it.
They factually did, sorry, that's how it is.
And yes, it was in pre-production in 2019-2020, when Shift Up was looking to hire expertise, and receive funding for the project.
They financed the game to become a exclusive.
And produced and published it! That's what publishers do.
The dude is a suit. Always has been.
No shit, he's a company executive, but for some reason, the fact that Stellar Blade was produced under his tenure seems to bother you a lot.
To throw money even a Phil Spencer can do that, and he is not a gaming genius because of that.
Microsoft would simply give them some amount of money, and tell them that they cannot release it on competing platforms for 6 months, something that Sony did not do with Stellar Blade.
By the way, if you really believe that it was simple moneyhat, why would Shift Up give Sony the publishing rights for the game, essentially allowing them to gain most of the money BY FAR for each copy sold?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I don’t get the HFW hate here. Maybe I haven’t come far enough? I’m currently fighting an oliphant 🦣
Didnt like the settings, characters and specially Aloy this time ... first game was very good ... this one ... too much girl boss bitch power for my taste... as soon as I reachead a village full of bulky woman and next another woman tribal leader appeared I said "fuck it .. im out" killing dinosaurs is fun but I couldn't endure everything else. Maybe the story picks up later and gets better ... but what I played was enough to see that this game was not for me ... and unfortunately everything sony post last of us 2 .. has not been for me either.

Nydius

Gold Member
there's been 2 horizon games. relax

Which is precisely why some of us are wondering why Horizon gets the LEGO treatment while other, far more established, IPs don't.

I'm with Topher Topher on this one, I don't think Horizon has as much "broad appeal" as Sony thinks it does, and I say that as a fan of both games.

schaft0620

OP did you not see at one time they had 16 Horizon projects in production?

They want that to be their Mario so bad. TLOU and GoW are too mature and both studios want off that ride. Then they don't own Spider-Man.

They look at Zelda, Mario, Red Dead and go why the hell are our attach rates not this good? Then they come to the conclusion on overall cultural zeitgeist and how it needs to be more well known. THEN TLOU2 on HBO causes a spike in sales which validates all of that.

It sorta works, my GF and I did the Horizon Lego together and she was interested, like if there were to be a show she would watch it but not interested in games.

Think about it we are 1/2 through the Horizon transmedia railroad.

1. Horizon Forbidden West
2. Horizon CotM
3. Horizon Lego
4. Horizon 1 remastered
5. Horizon Forbidden West PC
6. Netflix series
7. New Horizon Legos
8. Horizon 3
9. Horizon Monster Hunter clone.
10 through 16. Who knows but I think there's a comic book and action figures.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

But this is not true, unless Shift Up's CEO is lying. Hermen only put his name on it and we must say thanks. He would have destroyed the game, had his involvement gone further.

nial

Gold Member
But this is not true, unless Shift Up's CEO is lying. Hermen only put his name on it and we must say thanks. He would have destroyed the game, had his involvement gone further.

As I've already told you a lot of times, Shuhei Yoshida could not do anything beyond suggesting Hermen Hulst (and Jim Ryan, probably) to pick up the project for production, he's head of their indies initiative, he literally has nothing to do with Stellar Blade or other PlayStation Studios projects since November 2019.
You realize that Hermen could have easily denied Shuhei's suggestion, right?
Also, with the 'involvement' part, he was as involved in Stellar Blade as with almost every other first-party Sony game produced since late 2019.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As people have already said, Hulst was head of Playstation Studios.
Now I'm fine with that both games are pretty good.
But if that DLC is the direction they're going...they can keep it.

ungalo

It doesn't mean much. The game director of Watch Dogs Legion was the director of Chaos Theory.

And when it comes to worldbuilding, there was definitely a lot of work in Horizon 1 and 2. You can tell the devs really tried to flesh out something that has a big scope. The initial idea also is not bad, in the sense it's what you would expect from a new IP in this day and age, made by this kind of people, for a modern audience. It's familiar and fresh at the same time.

However it doesn't make the world or the characters "click". I would say, from what i see (so more in an objective perspective) it managed to entertain people but it didn't leave a mark for most of them. So i think in the long run the IP will not last except if they have a genius idea.

Now if i had to express my subjective opinion i would say it's garbage and i hate it. But there was definitely an attempt at something with this universe.

Last edited:
Personally I don't see this series as going more than one more mainline game, they ruined the story for me with the sequel, the side characters were great but Aloy turned into a complete bore. I also don't see how much more they can do with robot animals. They very much try to limit how much fun you can have in this game, why take weapons away from animals you can mount? why make the overrides timed? if you want to be a badass they should let you. They refuse to add lock on to the melee combat which can be extremely frustrating because of the drawn out swinging animations and the fact that the enemies jump all over the place, traversal is fine but that grappling hook mechanic was choppy and didn't add fun to anything neither did flying mounts, now had they let the flying mounts have their projectile attacks even after you took them over that would have been nice but NO they don't want that lol.

Reaseru

As I've already told you a lot of times, Shuhei Yoshida could not do anything beyond suggesting Hermen Hulst (and Jim Ryan, probably) to pick up the project for production, he's head of their indies initiative, he literally has nothing to do with Stellar Blade or other PlayStation Studios projects since November 2019.
You realize that Hermen could have easily denied Shuhei's suggestion, right?
Also, with the 'involvement' part, he was as involved in Stellar Blade as with almost every other first-party Sony game produced since late 2019.

Yes, yes. Let's take your word and narrative and not the one of both technical director and director of the game.

Well, seems that Hurst it is not only one that suffers of a naracissistic complex...

simpatico

Not Hulst's best move. Horizon is a fine series. But it's not something people are begging for. Sure when FW came out PS5 owners were happy to play a nice long SP game. But I don’t think anyone was just chomping at the bit for more Horizon.

mortal

You'd think the games sold like shit by the way some people on Gaf talking about the series or constantly dunk on Aloy as a character.
However, there could be a slight bias for Horizon's push with Hermen Hulst at the top.

Toons

I feel like I am the odd one out in these boards, because I loved both games. I think the play great, have great visuals, and the storylines have been very compelling.

Everything I've heard about both games in the real world has been overwhelmingly positive, this site is pretty much the only time I see anyone bashing it. I have yet to play either but I will get around to it at some point

nial

Gold Member
Yes, yes. Let's take your word and narrative and not the one of both technical director and director of the game.
Did he say that Sony only gave him some money and that was it? Post the receipts now.
Also, I need you to address this:
By the way, if you really believe that it was simple moneyhat, why would Shift Up give Sony the publishing rights for the game, essentially allowing them to gain most of the money BY FAR for each copy sold?
~64% of the staff in Stellar Blade is from SIE, lol (the rest is a combination of Shift Up and external partners, such as Virtuos, Sheer, and Streamline Media Group).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Aloy is boring, but I'd argue that none of Sony's first-party characters are particularly interesting or nuanced. Joel from TLOU was the closest they got, but everything else is a pretty inoffensive avatar at best.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Aloy is a pretty awful character too.
I've played Horizon 1+2 and the VR game and I couldn't tell you more than a couple of small plot points. The whole IP is devoid of character and utterly forgettable not just the main character. If it was an Ubisoft IP 95% of it's fans wouldn't be fans.

A GaaS using it's gameplay is probably a better idea than a $300 million sequel that takes 6 years to make tbh.

Top Bottom