• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring be better than Bloodborne?

Bloodborne or Elden Ring?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 169 50.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 164 49.2%

• Total voters

anthony2690

Banned
I personally feel sekiro is the best from software game imo.

& After playing Elden ring and seeing it has some things from sekiro like jumping and stealth, I am confident elden ring should hopefully be their best game with the full release.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No.

Elden Ring looks fantastic, but it looks like an open world Dark Souls. It doesn't really have its own visual identity. Not to mention it's supposed to be easier than other Souls games, which already raises alarm bells.

Get back to it. Ds2 is the best one mate
Never. I tried for many hours and hated every minute of it until I finally gave up. Completely worthless and devoid of fun or enjoyment for me 🤷‍♂️

It's kinda like a souls game, only frustrating and bad. Feels amateurishly made and often unfair.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hard to beat trick weapons and i vastly prefer horror aesthetic over medieval aesthetic.

But ER is gonna be far bigget and with more content, also more differentiated builds, and i like that.

Last edited:
I’m hoping that Elden Ring is better. I really enjoyed Bloodborne but I don’t understand why it is looked at as the best game of all time.

I much preferred Dark Souls, although it was my first souls game and from what I’ve seen before, people tend to prefer their first souls experience.

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
I was a bit nervous about ER's open world at first too, but after playing Breath of the Wild on Cemu (a fantastic game), I wasn't worried anymore. Because I'm sure ER will be like BOTW but with much better World design, art direction, level design, enemies variety, bosses and combat system. The plot will need to wait for ER to come out to see. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Sygma

There's no way it will top Bloodborne simply because its not the same design philosophy at all. Besides I don't think From will ever top The old hunters which is by far and large the best thing they've made in all their games. Peak everything in there

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
There's no way it will top Bloodborne simply because its not the same design philosophy at all. Besides I don't think From will ever top The old hunters which is by far and large the best thing they've made in all their games. Peak everything in there
First area reused Carthedal Ward, shitty reused bosses like Laurence, Living Failure, bullshit ememies like Shark giant, Nightmare Executioner,.. No, it great but not peak of them

Last edited:

Orpheum

If it's on par with bloodborne i'm more than happy.

It's tough to surpass one of the greatest games of all time

2AdEPT

bloodborne was my favourite game for a very long time, but Returnal has passed it now, 60FPS tight controls with intelligent haptic is all trumping my dated friend in BB. If Elden ring has good next gen feel it should beat out BB if all the atmosphere and music remains equal.

Cyberpunkd

First area reused Carthedal Ward, shitty reused bosses like Laurence, Living Failure, bullshit ememies like Shark giant, Nightmare Executioner,.. No, it great but not peak of them

Lady Maria.

tyra banks mic drop GIF by Allure

S0ULZB0URNE

if we go by “critics” then games like RDR2 should be favourite game of all time but I just can’t stand those games.
I was saying FromSoftware vs FromSoftware via the critics.

I do go by reviews but sometimes they overrate games like RDR2 and Nintendo games.

ToxicWeeb

Banned
I'm not sold on this open world idea. Bloodborne is great but the level design suffers as the game goes on, most of the levels aren't as well made as central yharnam. If From can't handle complex levels from beginning to end, why risk going to open world?

luffie

Gameplay? Absolutely. Elden Ring seems to have implemented more varied mechanics and better QoL.

But the settings? Bloodborne absolutely. ER falls under fantasy, which is way too common. There's no game in market right now that oozes so much gothic eldritch atmosphere.

SkylineRKR

DS2 is good. I really liked it on PS4.

It has the worst level design and most throwaway bosses. But it also has the best build variety, power stancing etc. Even Bow builds were fun. I liked PVP the most in DS2. Burning effigies was great, leveling up a specific area to NG+ with new loot and more powerful enemies. Respec was great. DS2 had a lot of great ideas.

I think that Demon Souls showed ambition and potential for this game type, but Scholar of the First Sin is the only one to realize everything it could be. Everything else has been filled with too many recurring bad design decisions and stripped essential features.

P.S. Swamp of Sorrow, Tomb of Giants, and Blighttown are examples of actually bad level design as they handicap the player. Boss battles are completely subjective.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I think that Demon Souls showed ambition and potential for this game type, but Scholar of the First Sin is the only one to realize everything it could be. Everything else has been filled with too many recurring bad design decisions and stripped essential features.

P.S. Swamp of Sorrow, Tomb of Giants, and Blighttown are examples of actually bad level design as they handicap the player. Boss battles are completely subjective.
Scholar of the first sin? DS2 was the absolute worst of the entire series.

tommib

Get back to it. Ds2 is the best one mate
Poor Danjin. He found 3 DS2 fans in the forum and is being gang banged. DS2 is without a doubt the best Dark Souls game. Immensely replayable and has the best setting. Demon’s Souls is still the King though. Sekiro comes second.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Hard to say.

Bloodborne peak at fast combat with dodge and gun stunning.

I don’t know how Elder Ring plays like but if it is like others Souls games then Bloodborne has the edge.

Scholar of the first sin? DS2 was the absolute worst of the entire series.
If I had to make a list of my grievances for every Souls game the list for it would be the shortest of the lot. The way it made every weapon type and magic type useful is amazing. Even unarmed is made valid with the Vanquisher's Seal Ring. Even more amazing is the amount of ways a player can progress through the game and quickly acquire nearly anything desired (with the exception of some offline covenant rewards until NG++). It even has unique features (like bonfire ascetics) and play styles not seen in any other game (like Bone Fist Kung Fu).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Demon’s Souls is still the King though.
I enjoyed that game but that one is my least favourite Souls games, its combat and boss battles are very basic and after the first playthrough it becomes very boring. Your character build dont matter much in that game, no matter what build you go with the battles pretty much plays out the same.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

If I had to make a list of my grievances for every Souls game the list for it would be the shortest of the lot. The way it made every weapon type and magic type useful is amazing. Even unarmed is made valid with the Vanquisher's Seal Ring. Even more amazing is the amount of ways a player can progress through the game and quickly acquire nearly anything desired (with the exception of some offline covenant rewards until NG++). It even has unique features (like bonfire ascetics) and play styles not seen in any other game (like Bone Fist Kung Fu).
I’m happy you enjoyed it, still my opinion stands. It’s the worst of all souls games.

S0ULZB0URNE

I enjoyed that game but that one is my least favourite Souls games, its combat and boss battles are very basic and after the first playthrough it becomes very boring. Your character build dont matter much in that game, no matter what build you go with the battles pretty much plays out the same.
My only major issue is it doesn't offer enough content compared to the Dark Souls games, especially if we include the DLC's.

Bramble

Not for me. Not even close. I love Bloodborne because the combat is much faster, more tight and just feels better than the Souls game. ER looks like a Souls game. I also like Bloodborne’s setting more.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My only major issue is it doesn't offer enough content compared to the Dark Souls games, especially if we include the DLC's.
But you need understand that DeS was FROM’s first game in that style so yes compare to games later on DeS combat/boss and content is much more basic and bare bones.

Still great game but after playing Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro it’s hard to go back to DeS’s basic combat and boss fights.

Ultra Donny

I hope it's better, but it will be hard to beat. Bloodborne in my opinion is one of the most atmospheric and best settings I have ever experienced in a game. I biased though because I love lovecraftian cosmic horror settings. I would love it if Elden ring is better but I doubt it in terms of atmosphere.

Wow the poll is pretty close. I think the open world experience will change the formula enough for me to exceed Bloodborne. I can’t wait to explore, get lost and find secrets in the vast, weird FromSoft world.

I’m happy you enjoyed it, still my opinion stands. It’s the worst of all souls games.
In what ways? Every time someone says that they usually just list some recurring scenario in Souls games or throw away stuff like the levels don't connect right (windmill -> volcanic castle) which is hogwash for videogames.

iHaunter

They're trying to do two different things so I do not like this comparison. It's like saying what's better. Ratchet and Clank or Bloodlines 2. Comparison is irrelevant.

People may like one more than the other based on setting and theme. Personally for me, I like the Dark Gothic theme more, so if I had to choose, I'd prefer Bloodborne.

BB is overrated because it was a Sony exclusive.

This how you enter Neogaf in the morning?

polka dot clown GIF by Good Old War

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
While I'm excited about Elden Ring... I hate GoT and everything surrounding it. Plus I particularly loved the tight, intricate layouts of Bloodborne areas, so I'll probably miss those when moving to a more open-ended format. Also, the overall "medieval fantasy" aesthetic has nothing on Bloodborne's far more unique world, from what I'm seeing so far. So I expect to enjoy it but don't expect anything that could compete with Bloodborne.

RexAnglo

Banned
Unfortunately, I can't play Bloodborne on ps5.

It looks horrendous.

I don't know why, as it was perfectly fine on ps4...at least I remember it being fine.

It's something of a theme with some ps4 games actually looking worse on ps5.

Shame, as I was quite looking forward to trying it again, especially as it's free.

I never completed it, but enjoyed what I saw.

SeraphJan

To me, Sekiro, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 are all 10/10 games. And please don't make me choose.

Expect Elden Ring the same, so far I'm so pleased with the game.

The thing l like about Miyazaki's game is the quality of his games are very consistent across the board, even when he tried something new (like what he did to both Bloodborne and Sekiro).
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom