• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you a lot here. Microsoft has the better exclusives that sell to the American crowd. Look at Fall 2014 and you'll have Halo, an online multiplayer shooter with what will be insane marketing. What does Sony have? A single player third person cover shooter set in England with old weapons. Which title will appeal to the college kids looking to have that "current gen dudebro party"?
Halo Anniversary sold less than 2 million copies to a console that had over 30 million units sold. Is it really a true system seller?

dr_rus

Yep, I'm expecting them to dominate Christmas, especially if Halo 2 anniversary is announced combined with SO, Quantum Break. Strong selection of shooters now and on the horizon (Gears/Halo), price is right, they've made the right moves to position themselves for a comeback.

Biggest games of this holiday season will be multiplatform. And they will look and/or perform better you know where for the same price. How's XBO gonna win this?

The problem is, it's now officially at the same price retailers have been selling it for for months. In the UK, the Titanfall bundle was sold at £350 by many retailers. Just because they absorbed a hit to push it then doesn't mean they'll do it indefinitely. In the US, the Titanfall + Kinect bundle was available for $50 more.

It might help, but this isn't the sort of price cut that really drives sales, and Microsoft will know that; it's one to try to plug the leak.

Guerrilla

Biggest games of this holiday season will be multiplatform. And they will look and/or perform better you know where for the same price. How's XBO gonna win this?

A lot of people (certainly not all) Will just see oh those games are on both + I get these only on xb1. Doesn't change the fact that ps4 titles will outperform the xb1 titles, just that it is by such a slight margin that casuals probably won't care. Casuals didn't even care with og xbox and ps2 and THAT was a difference most could differentiate easily...

Not saying xb1 is def going to outsell ps4, but it has a chance to sell quite well come holiday season...

But that's (estimated to be) Fall 2015, not 2014.

That's the million dollar (for MS litarally ;)) question, isn't it?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I own both of these flippin' devices, and the first one to get some bloody games on it will win my affections. The lack of games this far into the generation is just messed up. Xbox had TitanFall and PS4 had Second Son and Outlast. And the PC had two of those 3!

I really want to play my shiny new consoles, but damned if they aren't making it hard for me.

So, if Xbox kills it this year with exclusives, then sure, why the heck not.

Faith

We are still in the first year of the nextgen consoles. Everything can happen and everything will happen.

In the end it will all depend on the games.

Guerrilla

That's because the mindshare and momentum was with PS2. At retail, the original Xbox was a massive irrelevance in comparison.

exactly. And if ms can shower us with great exclusives, who's to say they wont gain mindshare/momentum?

We are still in the first year of the nextgen consoles. Everything can happen and everything will happen.

giphy.gif

exactly. And if ms can shower us with great exclusives, who's to say they wont gain mindshare/momentum?

I believe that to be unlikely; I've owned so many consoles with great exclusives that haven't moved the needle a massive amount. The people who say "it's a marathon, not a sprint!" usually end up losing, because getting off to a quick start is massively important. It's how the Wii pollinated, it's how Xbox went from irrelevance to neck and neck with PlayStation. People buy something, therefore their friends, their family, their friends and so on and so forth do the same.

That's not true at all. Price, mindshare, performance, marketing, ecosystems all play varying roles into how consoles perform.

Hopefully xbox will still make games during the latter half of the cycle. I remember with my 360 that I liked the games earlier, but they just seemed to give up making games for the last couple of years. I know people gave ps3 crap about the "10 year life cycle" but they were really good about supporting their console throughout, not just at the beginning to hook consumers.

Guerrilla

I believe that to be unlikely; I've owned so many consoles with great exclusives that haven't moved the needle a massive amount. The people who say "it's a marathon, not a sprint!" usually end up losing, because getting off to a quick start is massively important. It's how the Wii pollinated, it's how Xbox went from irrelevance to neck and neck with PlayStation. People buy something, therefore their friends, their family, their friends and so on and so forth do the same.

I agree sort of, but we are still in the beginning imo. There isn't a huge install base yet and not enough momentum to win a console generation. It will look completely different a year from now of course. I think MS knows this, and knows if they can do anything about losing, it has to be now. So even if they crash and burn (what I really don't believe) It's going to be exciting months up ahead :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Maybe ... the Xbox brand is stronger in 2014 than the PS brand is.

If that were true then a $100 price difference wouldn't have mattered as consumers would've bought the brand they prefer. Y'know, the one that's been offering free games, free Live, sale price, etc to try and move those units sitting on shelves.

Bundy

Banned

Not really. There are more factors.
And btw. Sony doesn't need to worry about good exclusive games.

Hydrargyrus

MS could be happy if they could return to the sales gap before Titanfall release with the launch of the new SKU.

And that's only for the US...

dr_rus

A lot of people (certainly not all) Will just see oh those games are on both + I get these only on xb1. Doesn't change the fact that ps4 titles will outperform the xb1 titles, just that it is by such a slight margin that casuals probably won't care. Casuals didn't even care with og xbox and ps2 and THAT was a difference most could differentiate easily...

But why? What will make them get an XBO for these games which are on both consoles? XBO cost the same and is less powerful. Who and why would prefer it over PS4 for multiplatform games in that case? And don't even start talking about brand loyalty. We all know how little that means in the states from the PS3 launch days.

Does this really bother the average person? Most of them don't even know what a framerate is.

It doesn't matter if a person knows what a framerate is, if it's in their head that the PS4 is better.

Just like the mindshare was "multi-plats are better on 360", that mindshare is already out there for PS4. And once it's there, it is nearly impossible to change. Quite a few people thought Final Fantasy 13 was better on 360 because the reality no longer mattered once the public mindshare was set.

kinggroin

Banned
It can happen, but it will take a LOT of software exclusivity and another pricedrop to get there.

At that point, what does MS actually win having propped up a sector of their business that only operates at a loss?

Guerrilla

But why? What will make them get an XBO for these games which are on both consoles? XBO cost the same and is less powerful. Who and why would prefer it over PS4 for multiplatform games in that case? And don't even start talking about brand loyalty. We all know how little that means in the states from the PS3 launch days.

Not for the multiplatform games but for the exclusives. My point was, the difference regarding multiplatform games of xb1 vs ps4 is not as big an incentive as is a good exclusive.
"+ I get these on xb1" meant "+ I get sunset overdrive, halo 5, quantum break, whatever on xb1" That might have been a bit misleading ;)

Of course it's completely possible PS4s holiday lineup will blow xb1s out of the water, but IF MS got the better games this holiday season (and according to the leaks there is a chance of that happening) that could turn things around somewhat.

No, not /thread. Don't pollute discussion with that shit.

Offer up an opinion on why you think games are the only factor that will affect each console's performance.

Oh so now it's forbidden to agree with another Gaffer's opinion?

History showed time and again that good exclusive games move consoles. This is not the *only* factor but it is, in my opinion, the most important. The pricing and hardware also plays a part but the main one is games.

Hyun Sai

MS has a chance to overtake Sony in the US if they make Gold non required to play online at E3.

The console is crippled by nonsensical design decisions that helped Sony gain huge momentum and image, even without system sellers, and badly hurt MS image.

In the current state of things, the gap will be only bigger, especially when all the Titan Fall bundles at 400$ couldn't help getting ahead of PS4 in US market.

kinggroin

Banned
That's because the mindshare and momentum was with PS2. At retail, the original Xbox was a massive irrelevance in comparison.

Right. And multiplatform games almost always looking or playing worse had no effect on the system's sales.

There are other factors people keep ignoring as to why a platform becomes a success, and usually, having better gfx than its competition isn't the reason why.

Fuck, look at how PS3 managed to eek out a victory last round despite almost always being the underdog in regards to multiplats, or starting at an absurd price point.

MS has a chance to overtake Sony in the US if they make Gold non required to play online at E3.

The console is crippled by nonsensical design decisions that helped Sony gain huge momentum and image, even without system sellers, and badly hurt MS image.

In the current state of things, the gap will be only bigger, especially when all the Titan Fall bundles at 400$ couldn't help getting ahead of PS4 in US market.
Why would anyone purchase gold then?
Games for gold isn't worth it.

That's easy money for MS.

Robertto

Neo Member
all depends on marketing, which MS are very good at to north Americans.

Additional MS in the 360 generation was really skilled at tailoring their exclusives to the NA market so if they can show off a gears/halo style exclusive that caters to that NA 14-25 yo male at e3 i think they could pull ahead despite being the underpowered box.

Oh so now it's forbidden to agree with another Gaffer's opinion?

History showed time and again that good exclusive games move consoles. This is not the *only* factor but it is, in my opinion, the most important. The pricing and hardware also plays a part but the main one is games.
It's not forbidden at all. But /thread implies that is the only proper opinion to have and that concludes the discussion. Not only did you imply that, but you contributed nothing of your own in that post.

Kariodude

Banned
Before, Microsoft was charging more for a less powerful console. Now they're charging the same for a less powerful console. Neither price point really makes sense.

A similar thing is happening with their gold service. They are currently charging more for Gold than Sony does for PS+, yet Gold is kind of shit compared to PS+. Especially when it comes to free games and discounts.

I'm also of the opinion that selling the console without the Kinect isn't going to make much of an impact. The Kinect always seemed like something that people complained about just because they were looking for something to complain about and weren't even considering buying an Xbox One in the first place.

Ryuuga

Banned
That's not true at all. Price, mindshare, performance, marketing, ecosystems all play varying roles into how consoles perform.

Mike Works dropping the common sense. If exclusives were as important as some suggest then Wii U would be reveling in success. If people just took a step back from "OMG WELL EXCLUSIVES" they'd realize all the moves that MS currently made are to gain all what was lost after their fumble of a reveal last year.

MilesTeg

Banned
I keep hearing that MS is good at marketing in the US. Well, they really aren't. If they were they would have many successful products, instead Surface and Windows Phone are basically irrelevant here. Xbone marketing is not good.

Back when the new consoles were launching, Sony kept airing "The perfect day" commercial, at the end with a release date in clear text that you couldn't miss. On the other hand, MS launch commercial couldn't even be bothered to give us the release date at all. Just "Xbox One". No idea if it's released or when it's coming out, if it's a 360 successor, or a new model 360 with TV functionality since they keep showing Kinect with it.

PS4 marketing>Xbone marketing.

dr_rus

Not for the multiplatform games but for the exclusives. My point was, the difference regarding multiplatform games of xb1 vs ps4 is not as big an incentive as is a good exclusive.

What exclusives? For the rest of 2014 XBO has Sunset Overdrive and Halo 2 HD announced which are both a joke from system selling point of view. Even if some more games will get announced to be released before the end of 2014 (Forza Horizon 2 being the only obvious candidate here) it doesn't look like XBO has anything close to good exclusives lineup for the end of this year.

PS4's exclusives aren't much better (although having played RAD games on PSP and PS3 I think that people are underestimating The Order) so it all boils down to multiplatforms this year. And PS4 will win these, it's clear as day.

Also - it is a big buying incentive to have a better version of multiplatform title. It is generally bigger than a good exclusive. Only exceptional exclusives like Halo 3, GeoW, GT5 and Uncharted/TLoU can be bigger than top of the line multiplatform titles.

Abdiel

Sony with the primary advertising deals for watch dogs and Destiny alone gives them a big edge in the two largest non COD multi platform games of this year, Destiny in particular is going to be enormous. And the mindshare, even a possible bundle, will be with ps4. So I don't see the x1 overtaking.

kinggroin

Banned
Mike Works dropping the common sense. If exclusives were as important as some suggest then Wii U would be reveling in success. If people just took a step back from "OMG WELL EXCLUSIVES" they'd realize all the moves that MS currently made are to gain all what was lost after their fumble of a reveal last year.

Absolutely disingenuous to bring the Wii U up.

The first poster didn't say exclusives are all that matter in the end, he said games.

And while even that is wrong, let's not pretend the Wii U is just overflowing with exclusive software month in month out. It has built up a solid lineup after over a year that saw nearly all other software support dry up.

exclusives are only going to play a strong role when the rest of your software ducks are lined up as well

kinggroin

Banned
I keep hearing that MS is good at marketing in the US. Well, they really aren't. If they were they would have many successful products, instead Surface and Windows Phone are basically irrelevant here. Xbone marketing is not good.

Back when the new consoles were launching, Sony kept airing "The perfect day" commercial, at the end with a release date in clear text that you couldn't miss. On the other hand, MS launch commercial couldn't even be bothered to give us the release date at all. Just "Xbox One". No idea if it's released or when it's coming out, if it's a 360 successor, or a new model 360 with TV functionality since they keep showing Kinect with it.

PS4 marketing>Xbone marketing.

So you're saying marketing was the only reason why Windows Phone and Surface failed. Have you, as a consumer, actually played with these devices? I suggest rethinking your logic here.

kinggroin

Banned
If exclusives were vitally important, the WiiU wouldn't be dead.

Exclusives are very important, vital even.

However, again, they have to work amidst ongoing healthy support from 3rd parties. With multiplat support being at parity, exclusives become a fantastic selling point when considering which console to purchase (not the only point, but a pretty damn good one).

This is why folks need to stop brining up Wii U to illustrate the exclusives argument.

Unless you want to argue a ghost debate that exclusives are ALL that matter. Don't think anyone said that.

Ryuuga

Banned
Absolutely disingenuous to bring the Wii U up.

I brought the Wii U up not because of the forthcoming months, but because what is currently available. My post was in response to exclusives painting a bigger picture in the decisions people make when buying a console. Wii U is actually a good example when you consider it HAS the most exclusives games thus far, but has less of what? Established multiplatform franchises. These are the games that top the charts monthly and are therefore the games people will likely buy their system for. Even if we just consider the games like you suggest it actually WOULD be disingenuous to suggest that exclusives play the biggest role in deciding how these system will perform going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom