• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith Breaks Silence: “Deeply Remorseful” For Oscar Slap

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
will smith film GIF
will smith film GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't condone what he did but this became way bigger than it should have been. I saw worse things in my high school cafeteria. People are acting like he went on stage and beat Chris Rock to a bloody pulp.
Big difference is cafeteria stupidity in grade 10 is among childish teenagers goofing on each other. And depending on the situation can involve students hitting each other.

Will Smith is 50 years old, at an awards show watching a comedian dish out jokes on stage in front of millions of people. He knows what goes on when hosts tell jokes making fun of people. Everyone is having a good laugh including Will Smith himself when they cut to him.

Isn’t it more mature for adults to hash it out after the show behind closed doors? Or are 50 year olds supposed to act like 12 year olds?

AJUMP23

It was a fight over a joke, that continued after online.

Slapping someone is not acceptable, it's assault.

Now go back to your basement.
It wasn’t a fight because Chris did nothing to warrant and when he was wronged did not respond with aggression. certainly it was assault. I don’t know why you think I live in a basement or find it “cool” to tell someone where to go. You seem like the type of aggressive person that would slap someone on a televised event.

we have an internet tough guy. 😂

Ionian

It wasn’t a fight because Chris did nothing to warrant and when he was wronged did not respond with aggression. certainly it was assault. I don’t know why you think I live in a basement or find it “cool” to tell someone where to go. You seem like the type of aggressive person that would slap someone on a televised event.

we have an internet tough guy. 😂

It was a fight as Tucker must have known the reason why she'd shaved her head as they were previously friends.

Why he thought the joke to be funny? I've no idea but it was a clear dig at her.

Not excusing Will but there was obviously bad blood between them for some reason.

AJUMP23

It was a fight as Tucker must have known the reason why she'd shaved her head as they were previously friends.

Why he thought the joke to be funny? I've no idea but it was a clear dig at her.

Not excusing Will but there was obviously bad blood between them for some reason.
Who is Tucker?

Chris Rock and Will Smith are the parties involved.

Fight - take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons.

Ionian

Who is Tucker?

Chris Rock and Will Smith are the parties involved.

I mixed up the names, cheers for clearing that up.

Also you posted a definition of violence, how old are you? Just want to laugh as you're being juvenile.

Violence means more than that.

AJUMP23

I mixed up the names, cheers for clearing that up.

Also you posted a definition of violence, how old are you? Just want to laugh as you're being juvenile.

Violence means more than that.
I think you should reevaluate your own actions as to who is being juvenile.

My biggest mistake was to enter into conversation with a fool as observers will struggle to determine which is more foolish.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want to see another Wild Wild West with Will Smith and Chris Rock. Independence Day 2 with Chris and Will. I hope this gets resolved. I grew up with these guys. We already lost Robin Williams, which is tragic and unrelated. Life’s too short to have beef like this.

Ionian

I think you should reevaluate your own actions as to who is being juvenile.

My biggest mistake was to enter into conversation with a fool as observers will struggle to determine which is more foolish.
Put me on ignore please. Solves your problem.

AJUMP23

Put me on ignore please. Solves your problem.
A mirror would help you find the problem in the conversation. A little self reflection.

You've never seen this before in real life?

This was televised.

Iv'e been in numerous fights, as a CHILD.
The above does not seemed like a reasoned response to someone expressing the desire for another to find forgiveness and reconciliation.

Last edited:

Ionian

A mirror would help you find the problem in the conversation. A little self reflection.

The above does not seemed like a reasoned response to someone expressing the desire for another to find forgiveness and reconciliation.

Whatever, we had our disagreements so let's leave it at that. There's nothing more to say. OK?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I feel for Will Smith. The guy appears to be in a abusive relationship that has broken him mentally.

He needs to get out of that toxic marriage.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I can’t believe you thought everyone would forget about him absolutely humiliating himself after a couple of days.
I guarantee you that 90% of the average people on the street doesn't give two shits that Will Smith acted like an idiot and smacked Chris Rock for being a dick to his wife. The only reason that 10% do still care about it is only because it happened on live tv, they are addicted to social media, they are addicted to "celeb drama", and/or political reasons. If this had happened at an afterparty or even just backstage people would have meme'd about it for a few days on social media, the entertainment crowd would have gossiped about it on shows like "E", and that would be it.

I just hope that this official apology is the last of this celeb drama nonsense. Tired of seeing this shit pop up in jokes and memes in completely unrelated content that I watch like it matters. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Having his son's brand of water obviously propped up on the side table in plain view really makes this seem a little disingenuous
Good catch.

More than that though, the fact that there's a production team behind this in immediately put me off this - whether it's genuine sorrow or not. The question and Jada caused a complete change in his demeanour, whether he did or not it looked like he went into acting mode for that one.

"Okay Will we have front and 45° cameras set up. When we roll you'll walk in, sit down, and we will show you questions to read and answer. Don't worry, we can do as many takes as we need and we will edit it together to look the best it can."

That said, it does appear that Jada is one of if not the negative influences on him, and I'd say it would be interesting to see what goes on but they already publicised so much and Will already looked destroyed.

Nobody_Important

Having his son's brand of water obviously propped up on the side table in plain view really makes this seem a little disingenuous
Every single public apology you have ever seen is at least a "little" disingenuous. No public figure in all of human history has apologized publicly to another individual or group in order to genuinely cleanse themselves of wrongdoing to the other party without any intention of helping themselves directly or their image. Otherwise it wouldn't have been made public. It would be done in private. Public apologies only exist to possibly win back public favor and give them an out in future interviews. "No no no see I apologized and people keep bringing it up!" or "I have already addressed the issue and I am moving on." is what we will hear instead of them actually addressing the issue at hand. It allows them to try and FORCE the world to move on and for the narrative to change. Just look at every professional athlete that has ever been caught sleeping around, beating their partner, or committing some other crime. They are not sorry. They are sorry that they got caught and now have to try and mitigate the damage.

Even IF the person is being genuine in their apology (which I think Will is doing here) and do really regret what they did the apology is being made public to further their own needs and agenda. It's never JUST about apologizing. It is politics 101 and it has been adopted by rich fuckwits for over 100 years.

Last edited:
I guarantee you that 90% of the average people on the street doesn't give two shits that Will Smith acted like an idiot and smacked Chris Rock for being a dick to his wife. The only reason that 10% do still care about it is only because it happened on live tv, they are addicted to social media, they are addicted to "celeb drama", and/or political reasons. If this had happened at an afterparty or even just backstage people would have meme'd about it for a few days on social media, the entertainment crowd would have gossiped about it on shows like "E", and that would be it.

I just hope that this official apology is the last of this celeb drama nonsense. Tired of seeing this shit pop up in jokes and memes in completely unrelated content that I watch like it matters. It doesn't.
Nah, he lost a lot of credibility and respect through his idiocy, hence him making this public apology months later. Absurd to see people trying to argue otherwise.

Nobody_Important

Nah, he lost a lot of credibility and respect through his idiocy, hence him making this public apology months later. Absurd to see people trying to argue otherwise.
Plenty of other people in Hollywood have done things MUCH FUCKING WORSE than this and bounced back just fine. The guy has hundreds of millions in the bank and is still going to land big roles in the future.

Will Smith will be okay lol

Last edited:
Plenty of other people in Hollywood have done things MUCH FUCKING WORSE than this and bounced back just fine. The guy has hundreds of millions in the bank and is still going to land big roles in the future.

Will Smith will be okay lol
Sure, he’ll be fine financially. He’s just a fucking dick who crapped on what should have been the moment of his career by assaulting one of his peers live around the world and that’s how most people will think of him from now on.

Nobody_Important

Sure, he’ll be fine financially. He’s just a fucking dick who crapped on what should have been the moment of his career by assaulting one of his peers live around the world and that’s how most people will think of him from now on.
I mean if it makes you feel better to think that then I won't stop you, but this will not be the defining moment of Will Smiths life lol

Nobody_Important

I mean if it makes you feel better to think it won’t I guess? The guy made Oscars history for all the wrong reasons, there’s no way it won’t be his defining moment.
Years from now after Will has been in more movies and maybe even been behind the scenes of many others. No one is going to seriously give a shit that this happened. Even further on down the line when he eventually dies people will mention Fresh Prince, M.I.B., Bad Boys, his songs, and the various other projects that he has been a part of. As I said before their have been people in Hollywood that have done MUCH worse and been forgiven much sooner than that.

Yeah sure some people will bring it up down the line, but they will be in the minority. More people will remember him for his roles and his music than that one time he smacked Chris Rock for talking shit lol

Years from now after Will has been in more movies and maybe even been behind the scenes of many others. No one is going to seriously give a shit that this happened. Even further on down the line when he eventually dies people will mention Fresh Prince, M.I.B., Bad Boys, his songs, and the various other projects that he has been a part of. As I said before their have been people in Hollywood that have done MUCH worse and been forgiven much sooner than that.

Yeah sure some people will bring it up down the line, but they will be in the minority. More people will remember him for his roles and his music than that one time he smacked Chris Rock for talking shit lol
Love how you say ‘lol’ to try to play it down but feel the need to write an essay in defence force lol

Reactions: N0c

Nobody_Important

Love how you say ‘lol’ to try to play it down but feel the need to write an essay in defence force lol
I type "lol" because I really do find it funny that you believe in this day and age of a constant celeb drama cycle where everyone gets caught doing something every other week that anyone is GENUINELY going to give a single watery turd that Will Smith smacked Chris Rock. And I am not defending shit. I already said that Will Smith acted like an idiot in this thread. Try reading. I am laughing at your absurd notion that Will Smith will be forever shunned and haunted by this. That is just plain stupid.

I mean for fuck sake Mel Gibson was caught on camera throwing around racial slurs to a god damn police officer years ago and he was sitting in the same crowd as Will Smith was when this took place. Roman Polanski cannot return to the US because of what he did to a teenage girl decades ago and received a standing ovation from this same awards show.

But yeah sure go off on how this slap is going to haunt Will Smith and his career forever in the world of Hollywood and that he will forever be held to account for it

Get out of here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I type "lol" because I really do find it funny that you believe in this day and age of a constant celeb drama cycle where everyone gets caught doing something every other week that anyone is GENUINELY going to give a single watery turd that Will Smith smacked Chris Rock. And I am not defending shit. I already said that Will Smith acted like an idiot in this thread. Try reading. I am laughing at your absurd notion that Will Smith will be forever shunned and haunted by this. That is just plain stupid.

I mean for fuck sake Mel Gibson was caught on camera throwing around racial slurs to a god damn police officer years ago and he was sitting in the same crowd as Will Smith was when this took place. Roman Polanski cannot return to the US because of what he did to a teenage girl decades ago and received a standing ovation from this same awards show.

But yeah sure go off on how this slap is going to haunt Will Smith forever in the world of Hollywood and that he will forever be held to account for it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Sorry I’m not reading all that. You seem to really like Will Smith so I’ll leave it.

Nobody_Important

What do you want me to say? The guys begging for forgiveness on tv. He’s humiliated. He’s figured it out but you seem to be in denial.
Nice attempt at a dodge. I addressed his public "apology" already. The argument was whether or not this incident would define his career. It clearly won't and I specifically explained why and you wimped out with a "Too long don't wanna read :messenger_angry: " comment and claimed I was a defense force.

It's not my fault you argue like a keyboard warrior. I can only work with the material you give me and all you have given me is basically a tantrum.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I feel for Will Smith. The guy appears to be in a abusive relationship that has broken him mentally.

He needs to get out of that toxic marriage.
Yeah poor guy if he divorces the film roles will dry up and he will be destitute living in the streets. Fuck Will Smith, no seriously fuck him.

Nice attempt at a dodge. I addressed his public "apology" already. The argument was whether or not this incident would define his career. It clearly won't and I specifically explained why and you wimped out with a "Too long don't wanna read :messenger_angry: " comment and claimed I was a defense force.

It's not my fault you argue like a keyboard warrior. I can only work with the material you give me and all you have given me is basically a tantrum.
It’s not my fault you find the need to defend the indefensible. Up until the Oscar’s I really like Will Smith. He seemed like a decent guy. His actions ruined his career and harmed that of Chris Rock’s who I also like. As I said, it was what should have been the pinnacle of his career, especially so for someone who, let’s be honest, isn’t the greatest acting talent. But there was a tasteless joke made at his wife’s expense (gasp!) and he decided to walk up on stage of the most viewed live event bar the Super Bowl and slap the host in the face and the spend the next few minutes swearing at him from his seat. If I was a PR expert trying to figure out a way to put permanent black mark against someone’s name I couldn’t think of a more effective solution unless he’d shot him. It’s staggering to see people like yourself try to play it down, I legitimately don’t understand i.

Nobody_Important

It’s not my fault you find the need to defend the indefensible.
Stopping you there. Not what I said at all. I have already said what Smith did was dumb. I just disagreed that it would haunt his career like you claimed and listed clear examples why that is not going to happen which you promptly ignored like a child. That isn't on me. That is on you.

Nice try though. Another A for effort for sure.

Last edited:
Stopping you there. Not what I said at all. I have already said what Smith did was dumb. I just disagreed that it would haunt his career like you claimed and listed clear examples why that is not going to happen which you promptly ignored like a child. That isn't on me. That is on you.

Nice try though. Another A for effort for sure.
Nice deflection.

His... music?

Animated GIF

Top Bottom