• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

kunonabi

Why do you people act as if Will sent Chris to the hospital with a brutal beating? Legit question.

Everyone keeps saying that this "violent assault on Chris" is inhumane, but it was just a slap. Even if it is incorrect, it's not even remotely comparable to a violent beating in any way. The consequences to the victim are objectively different, with one being life threatening while the other is barely capable of causing minor injuries. The behaviour is also different, since a slap and a beating would relate to different levels of "lack of control".

And the security aspect isn't comparable either, and it's a massive slippery slope. "Oh man, if a guy can slap another guy and nothing happens, then a guy can brutally beat another guy there as well!". Ffs, prior to Will's public statements, a lot of people thought it was staged. Why wouldn't the security personnel think the same?

A little bit of logic in this topic instead of fallacy after fallacy would make this much more tolerable.
Imagine if Will had a knife. This behavior and the Academy's response were completely irresponsible and the fact that people are trying to handwave it away is pathetic. Adults and professionals should be expected to act accordingly but in this modern age that's seems to have gone completely by the wayside.

WolfusFh

Imagine if Will had a knife. This behavior and the Academy's response were completely irresponsible and the fact that people are trying to handwave it away is pathetic.
Irrelevant to what I said, and it tells a lot that the only way you can approach is by throwing hypothetical situations that didn't happen.

If he pulled a knife, then it's much more likely that security would restrain him immediately and the situation would change completely.

We can play the "imagine if he/she did this" all day, it's not what happened. The discussion regarding if something like that could happen is a completely different discussion than the one I mentioned.
Adults and professionals should be expected to act accordingly but in this modern age that's seems to have gone completely by the wayside.
Adults and professionals should also have a basic understanding of logic and argumentation, but in this modern age that's seems to have gone completely by the wayside.

I mean, just look at you. Bringing up irrelevant things that barely relate to what I complained about, which was acting as if a Slap and a brutal beating are remotely equivalent.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why do you people act as if Will sent Chris to the hospital with a brutal beating? Legit question.

Everyone keeps saying that this "violent assault on Chris" is inhumane, but it was just a slap. Even if it is incorrect, it's not even remotely comparable to a violent beating in any way. The consequences to the victim are objectively different, with one being life threatening while the other is barely capable of causing minor injuries. The behaviour is also different, since a slap and a beating would relate to different levels of "lack of control".

And the security aspect isn't comparable either, and it's a massive slippery slope. "Oh man, if a guy can slap another guy and nothing happens, then a guy can brutally beat another guy there as well!". Ffs, prior to Will's public statements, a lot of people thought it was staged. Why wouldn't the security personnel think the same?

A little bit of logic in this topic instead of fallacy after fallacy would make this much more tolerable.
The lack of control is more about the context of the situation. And Will's slap isn't some small slap a parent does to a kid. It was a lot bigger and harder. So let's not put a weak slap on an 8 year old's cheek as the same as Will Smith's hit.

If two dumb drunks in a bar, or two druggies in an alley shove or slap each other, nobody cares since it's pure stupidity among low lifes.

Will Smith at the Oscars in a tux going on stage in front of millions of people and slapping a comedian hosting a show with jokes all night is a totally different situation.

Nothing happening to Will Smith (in terms of legal issues) does set a precedent too.

I still find this extremely surreal, it makes no sense that it even happened. Then he just sits there as if nothing had happened and wins and Oscar... what?

Who doesn't feel completely disconnected from Hollywood at this point?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The lack of control is more about the context of the situation. And Will's slap isn't some small slap a parent does to a kid. It was a lot bigger and harder. So let's not put a weak slap on an 8 year old's cheek as the same as Will Smith's hit.

If two dumb drunks in a bar, or two druggies in an alley shove or slap each other, nobody cares since it's pure stupidity among low lifes.

Will Smith at the Oscars in a tux going on stage in front of millions of people and slapping a comedian hosting a show with jokes all night is a totally different situation.

Nothing happening to Will Smith (in terms of legal issues) does set a precedent too.

What else sets a precedent is Polanski being nominated for an Oscar in the first place... Being allowed to remain in DGA... a member of the Academy AFTER he fled America to escape investigation of child rape. No trying to prove his innocence and the child he raped killed herself later because of the trauma she suffered...

And violence... John Wayne had to be PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED from dragging Ms. Littlefeather off the stage ... I don't know if it was off camera but it WAS widely reported... As I said above ...

That and the streaking incident... Security DID their jobs. Yet Wayne was allowed to come back ...

But they're protecting the Oscars from Will Smith. Ok.

A slap isn't a beating. And Chris Rock kept his cool ... Was he bleeding?

I get that Will broke the rules and he is facing consequences of his actions and he's accepted them. Rock COULD have pressed charges against Smith but decided not to. ESPECIALLY not having the image of a black man being hauled away on live TV... That was a conscious decision of Chris Rock. Had the decision been left up to the academy, this would be a different conversation.

TDiddyLive

What else sets a precedent is Polanski being nominated for an Oscar in the first place... Being allowed to remain in DGA... a member of the Academy AFTER he fled America to escape investigation of child rape. No trying to prove his innocence and the child he raped killed herself later because of the trauma she suffered...

And violence... John Wayne had to be PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED from dragging Ms. Littlefeather off the stage ... I don't know if it was off camera but it WAS widely reported... As I said above ...

That and the streaking incident... Security DID their jobs. Yet Wayne was allowed to come back ...

I get that Will broke the rules and he is facing consequences of his actions and he's accepted them. Rock COULD have pressed charges against Smith but decided not to. ESPECIALLY not having the image of a black man being hauled away on live TV... That was a conscious decision of Chris Rock. Had the decision been left up to the academy, this would be a different conversation.
Your John Wayne comparison is odd. Security did their job and prevented violence. No violence occurred therefore he was able to come back.
Will Smith completed an act of violence. Therefore he is not able to come back for a period of time. Simple as that.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Your John Wayne comparison is odd. Security did their job and prevented violence. No violence occurred therefore he was able to come back.
Will Smith completed an act of violence. Therefore he is not able to come back for a period of time. Simple as that.

It's not odd. Wayne was threatening violence against a woman. AT the academy awards. He had to be held back by security.

By the same logic, he should have been barred from any future attendance to protect any future attendees.

Imminent Threat of violence can be an arrestable offense. And breaking rules of the Academy.

Either way, Smith accepted the consequences.

It was still just a slap. Rock didn't press charges. Polanski still got nominated. Allen still got an Oscar. So did Weinstein...

Those men committed much more egregious acts than Smith did. Televised or not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

We've had this discussion already in this thread between us - including you even sending me a PM to keep it going a week ago.

But you sure seem to have a big time defence motive for Will Smith. But as I said to you before, I totally understand you wanting to protect your culture from the bad PR, since things from Floyd looting and now this doesn't look too good. Amazingly, your posts are similar to Reeee. The mods there even stated the same thing you did in your reply about the incident hoping it doesn't tarnish the image of Black people.

You seem to care more about image than what actually happened at the Oscars between a handful of celebs involved. You should try looking at things less about race.

But I totally get what you are trying to do. Bring up other examples to try invalidating Will Smith's slap on stage.

As for Polanski and John Wayne - which seems to your way of proving Will's incident not being so bad - those are different incidents that have nothing to do with Will. Polanski is a total creep whose been hiding (I think he's holed up in France or something) and I didn't know what John Wayne did at a show until now.

Given those two people's incidents, Polanski for sure should be banned. As for John Wayne? Who knows. What other info do you have other than him being pissed back stage? Doesnt sound like he hit Littlefeather.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was still just a slap. Rock didn't press charges. Polanski still got nominated. Allen still got an Oscar. So did Weinstein...

You sure have an odd way of claiming what violence is and isn't, and when it's worth digging into or not.

Is Will Smith one of your hollywood heroes? But now you're ashamed he did it at the Oscars in front of millions of people?

If he is, relax.

I'm sure some of my fav actors or athletes have done dumb things too at work or in personal life. Think of them as entertainment, not father figures.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
We've had this discussion already in this thread between us - including you even sending me a PM to keep it going a week ago.

But you sure seem to have a big time defence motive for Will Smith. But as I said to you before, I totally understand you wanting to protect your culture from the bad PR, since things from Floyd looting and now this doesn't look too good. Amazingly, your posts are similar to Reeee. The mods there even stated the same thing you did in your reply about the incident hoping it doesn't tarnish the image of Black people.

You seem to care more about image than what actually happened at the Oscars between a handful of celebs involved. You should try looking at things less about race.

But I totally get what you are trying to do. Bring up other examples to try invalidating Will Smith's slap on stage.

As for Polanski and John Wayne - which seems to your way of proving Will's incident not being so bad - those are different incidents that have nothing to do with Will. Polanski is a total creep whose been hiding (I think he's holed up in France or something) and I didn't know what John Wayne did at a show until now.

Given those two people's incidents, Polanski for sure should be banned. As for John Wayne? Who knows. What other info do you have other than him being pissed back stage? Doesnt sound like he hit Littlefeather.

I mentioned ONE thing about race being the image of a black man being carted away on live TV by police. This is still a thing in this country whether you want it to be or not, like it or not. This country still hadn't been honest about its race issues. And Chris Rock understands that, which is probably why he didn't press charges.

One black man's actions doesn't paint ALL black people... Or at least it shouldn't because Smith's actions are HIS actions. Not mine and they don't reflect on ME. Not sure how you got to that "reflect on black people" part from what I said.

That said, a literal rapist that fled the country shouldn't be still in the DGA or a member of the Academy at ALL! I think we agree on that.

My point is, egregious actions have BEEN taking place and yet those people are or were still in good standing, barring Weinstein and Cosby and Spacey and, now, Smith.

Whether it was televised or not, hold them ALL accountable.

Also, Wayne had to be HELD BACK from assaulting Littlefeather; he wasn't just "pissed". That's just as bad as Will's slap... And just as much a danger.

and I resent being compared to Ree! That place is poison!

im trying to get you to see my POV but you keep saying things I didn't say nor intimate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How do you know Rock didn't press charges because it's a Black issue? Maybe he didn't want to because he wasnt injured and didn't want it to go farther.

If two coworkers at an office or working at Burger King get into a scuffle and one guy gets hit, it's not a 100% guarantee the got who got hit will call the cops. In fact, unless it was something really serious, I bet nobody would call the cops. The key thing would be the guy at fault would get fired with very high probability, when it's one sided like this incident

So again, let's not try to make this a "Chris Rock didn't press charges for sake of Black people".

As for accountability, it also comes down to what happened where it happened.

Will Smith's slap was right at the Oscars. Even on TV. So of course the Oscars are going to take things done at the location as more serious than home life.

Home life incidents are a lot more washy washy what to do. You got tons of celebs and athletes doing dumb stuff in home life, but since it wasnt done at an awards show the organizers might be okay with offering an award to someone who slapped his girlfriend at home. Who knows.

But what isnt disputable is Will Smith slapping Chris Rock over a joke on stage and on TV.

So keep digging into the internet trying to find as many examples you can in awards show history trying to deflect what Smith did.

To be honest, and this is the first time I've said this so bluntly on this board, but the way you keep on defending Smith is embarrassing. You got a hardcore motive "at all costs" to defend to the bone. It's like he's your childhood hero you cant face what he did on stage. Hey, liked a lot of people I like watching Fresh Prince too (billiards episode is my fav), but leave it at that. He's an actor. Not family.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but when people talk about white privilege this and white privilege that, well this is exactly what privilege really looks like. Someone with fame and wealth who believes he can just walk up on the stage at the Oscars, attack the host because he didn't like the joke, and then adjust his $5000 Armani suit as he is walking back to his front row seat. Not happy with just that he decided he should make it further about him by cursing out the host further and then an hour later receiving the biggest award in his industry to the cheers and appreciation of all in attendance.
Do you know just how entitled you have to be to think that's your place to do that? The fucking balls on him. Meanwhile the seat warmers are getting fucking walked out for daring to even interact with the "stars" they are sitting next to.

I'm glad it happened because it shows just how wrong Hollywood and the cult of personality is. In what world do people dressing up and playing make believe deserve this type of privilege? When I was in school the kids in the drama class were laughed at.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but when people talk about white privilege this and white privilege that, well this is exactly what privilege really looks like. Someone with fame and wealth who believes he can just walk up on the stage at the Oscars, attack the host because he didn't like the joke, and then adjust his $5000 Armani suit as he is walking back to his front row seat. Not happy with just that he decided he should make it further about him by cursing out the host further and then an hour later receiving the biggest award in his industry to the cheers and appreciation of all in attendance.
Do you know just how entitled you have to be to think that's your place to do that? The fucking balls on him. Meanwhile the seat warmers are getting fucking walked out for daring to even interact with the "stars" they are sitting next to.

I'm glad it happened because it shows just how wrong Hollywood and the culture of personality is. In what world do people dressing up and playing make believe deserve this type of privilege? When I was in school the kids in the drama class were laughed at.
It's probably why awards show ratings are dropping like a rock the past bunch of years. People have other things to do that are interesting.

For people still interested in who won, they'll just read Twitter or look for someone uploading 2 min videos to YT, as opposed to the old days of the whole fam with nothing to do on a Sunday night deciding whether to watch an awards show, Sunday night sports, or Married with Children. No internet recaps or anything. You sat there all night watching the whole 3 hr awards show, so hollywood went with it.

Now, they are still trying to do the traditional all night long awards show and people realize how boring it is, and how insignificant it is to watch rich people give speeches to themselves. The average person would probably rather play a cellphone game to kill time.

Our fam used to do sit as a fam and watch awards and pageants together in the 80s and early 90s. It was a fam thing to do to root for a winner and see who is the smartest guesser. Going by ratings, looks like the average TV viewing fam doesn't do that anymore.

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

It's not odd. Wayne was threatening violence against a woman. AT the academy awards. He had to be held back by security.

By the same logic, he should have been barred from any future attendance to protect any future attendees.

Imminent Threat of violence can be an arrestable offense. And breaking rules of the Academy.

Either way, Smith accepted the consequences.

Most of this already got covered but are you really equating actual violence to the possibility of violence? If a drunk dude in a bar threatens to kick some other dude’s ass, it’s not the same as if he walks over and actually punches the other guy. If an actor gets angry at somebody but is prevented from doing the unknown to somebody, it’s not as bad as an actor physically attacking somebody.

Jsisto

I'm glad it happened because it shows just how wrong Hollywood and the cult of personality is. In what world do people dressing up and playing make believe deserve this type of privilege? When I was in school the kids in the drama class were laughed at.
Oh you haven’t heard? The real problem is still and will always be white privilege.

Pearl clutching? This whole article is pearl clutching.

I dont even know what world I’m living in anymore, because I guarantee you I would have the same amount of disdain for any other pompous motherfucker, white, black, Asian, Mexican, that went up there and smacked Chris Rock. It’s just flat out wrong, no matter what color the person on the giving or receiving end is. The absolute balls of anyone to suggest this is deeper than that is mind numbing.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Most of this already got covered but are you really equating actual violence to the possibility of violence? If a drunk dude in a bar threatens to kick some other dude’s ass, it’s not the same as if he walks over and actually punches the other guy. If an actor gets angry at somebody but is prevented from doing the unknown to somebody, it’s not as bad as an actor physically attacking somebody.

A slap is violence but everyone is acting like Smith best rock to a pulp and sent him into traction

I've seen worse defenses of someone who committed WORSE acts of violence like Dylann Roof being taken to Burger King after he killed 8 people! "They had to feed him. They couldn't let him starve" ...

Again, Security had to HOLD BACK a man (John Wayne) from going up and putting his hands on a woman. How is that not something you see as unhinged? She didn't insult him or anything and he still wanted to put hands on her. That was a threat of violence. Not "someone should kick her off the stage" ... Not words. Had to be held back.

What Smith did was shocking and uncalled for but let's not make it into more than it was. If he should give back his Oscar, then take back Weinstein's and anyone else who has done some HIGHLY illegal ish! That why there's levels of assault and other crimes. They're not all treated the same. All sin is treated equally by God... Crimes aren't all treated the same by man.

And if a drunkard threatens to punch someone and is held back... He's usually thrown out of the bar. Which is what the academy wanted to do with Will.

And I also resent you saying "he ain't your daddy". I know who my dad is and he just turned 73. I'm not defending Will but I AM looking at this from a different perspective than you.

The producer told him to stay... Chris Rock didn't want to press charges... That's why he stayed.

You are conflating wealth/fame privilege with white privilege. They don't mean the same thing. I know I'll get laughed at in here like I always do when I say that, I don't care.

But I agree that Will was feeling way too entitled with sitting back in his seat and yelling at Chris what he said. That was uncalled for. The slap and the yell!

And why were the drama kids laughed at? Because they were acting in plays? That's juvenile.

Jsisto

A slap is violence but everyone is acting like Smith best rock to a pulp and sent him into traction

I've seen worse defenses of someone who committed WORSE acts of violence like Dylann Roof being taken to Burger King after he killed 8 people! "They had to feed him. They couldn't let him starve" ...

Again, Security had to HOLD BACK a man (John Wayne) from going up and putting his hands on a woman. How is that not something you see as unhinged? She didn't insult him or anything and he still wanted to put hands on her. That was a threat of violence. Not "someone should kick her off the stage" ... Not words. Had to be held back.

What Smith did was shocking and uncalled for but let's not make it into more than it was. If he should give back his Oscar, then take back Weinstein's and anyone else who has done some HIGHLY illegal ish! That why there's levels of assault and other crimes. They're not all treated the same. All sin is treated equally by God... Crimes aren't all treated the same by man.

And if a drunkard threatens to punch someone and is held back... He's usually thrown out of the bar. Which is what the academy wanted to do with Will.

And I also resent you saying "he ain't your daddy". I know who my dad is and he just turned 73. I'm not defending Will but I AM looking at this from a different perspective than you.

The producer told him to stay... Chris Rock didn't want to press charges... That's why he stayed.

You are conflating wealth/fame privilege with white privilege. They don't mean the same thing. I know I'll get laughed at in here like I always do when I say that, I don't care.

But I agree that Will was feeling way too entitled with sitting back in his seat and yelling at Chris what he said. That was uncalled for. The slap and the yell!

And why were the drama kids laughed at? Because they were acting in plays? That's juvenile.
All due respect, but I don’t see anyone here defending John Wayne. That was a different time, and most people here probably don’t even know about it. I sure didn’t until recently. If that were to happen today, he undoubtedly would get as much, if not more shit than Will Smith did. Inexcusable behavior.

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

I haven’t seen anybody act like Will Smith did anything other than slap another man. Only the apologists bring up anything more severe as a defense.

As for Dylan Roof, unfortunately people in custody must be given food. They probably got him food he wanted to get his cooperation in the investigation to make sure he is never free again without dragging the court proceedings out longer than needed.

I looked up the John Wayne incident and all parties involved, including the woman he was attempting to get to, said they believed Wayne was going to go grab her to get her off stage. Nothing about hitting or beating her up. But the point remains the same. He never actually touched her, unlike Smith battering Rock.

I doubt most people believe Smith should get his award taken away. But even those that do wouldn’t want only his taken away while letting Weinstein keep his.

If a drink threatened to kick somebody’s ass, you are right that they would probably be kicked out. If he actually punched a guy, he would definitely be kicked out. You say the academy wanted to kick Smith out. If that was true he would have been kicked out. Asking Rock if he should be kicked out is a bitch move, as any blowback from kicking him out would have been unfairly placed on Rock, the actual victim. The choice to press charges or not should have been the only thing asked of Rock. Kicking Smith out should have been automatic.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Geez, some people must be seriously personally embarrassed by Will Smith’s actions to be playing defence force so hard for so long.

I just don’t get it. Even if he was my favourite actor I’d be able to acknowledge that he made a complete and utter fool of himself. Why take it so personally?

Last edited:

WolfusFh

It isn't "brutal violence" either. In fact, in regards to objective physical consequences, it is much closer to a weak slap on an 8 year old's cheek, as you put it. Yet is being seen as a completely different level of violence, which is nonsensical. Especially since you yourself acknowledge the existence of "levels" of violence.
Nobody caring about an issue (in regards to media attention) doesn't change the logic of a situation. If I slapped someone because I got angry about something a person said, then the situation should be considered the same in regards to "legal consequences" or analysis. Naturally, when "public" figures engage in any situation, it will draw much more attention and discussion. And while that is something to be considered, it doesn't change the logic of the situation as you implied.
So you think Will's action, which had the same level of consequence for Chris Rock as a mean comment (because he wasn't physically injured in the slightest), should have legal consequences?

So to you, it is much more "humane" and "civilized" , but it is humane to seek legal actions, which puts in the situation a third agent (the State), that does in fact use the physical power it possesses in order to intimidate the other 2 into accepting it's terms? Terms that could involve fines that can impact one of the person's livelihood (not rich people, obviously), community service (unpaid labor) or worst case scenario, jail?

All 3 of these are consequences that most would consider much, much worse than the "extreme violence" of a slap. Yet somehow, it is also more humane, while the slap is just unacceptable.

So please, explain it to me how is it that involving in the law in such a small issue between 2 people is more humane. I'd love to see the logical leaps necessary to defend this point.

WolfusFh

Geez, some people must be seriously personally embarrassed by Will Smith’s actions to be playing defence force so hard for so long.

I just don’t get it. Even if he was my favourite actor I’d be able to acknowledge that he made a complete and utter fool of himself. Why take it so personally?
Ahh, the classic "projection fallacy". In which you assume, with no basis whatsoever, the reason why thousands of people are taking a stance in a particular situation. Oh, please read Will's and Chris's minds as well, oh mighty professor Xavier, since you clearly has the power.

Because of course, not having that power would make your comment completely pointless and make you look like a person who has no ability to have a logical discussion. So clearly you do have the power.

Ahh, the classic "projection fallacy". In which you assume, with no basis whatsoever, the reason why thousands of people are taking a stance in a particular situation. Oh, please read Will's and Chris's minds as well, oh mighty professor Xavier, since you clearly has the power.

Because of course, not having that power would make your comment completely pointless and make you look like a person who has no ability to have a logical discussion. So clearly you do have the power.

Exhibit A. You seem to be taking this pretty hard dude.

WolfusFh

Exhibit A. You seem to be taking this pretty hard dude.
Why didn't you read the minds that matter, Mr Xavier? Could it be that actually you're just an idiot that assumes with no evidence what people think and state it as a fact?

Especially since I've already stated in previous comments why I'm debating this topic. The reason being that people are equating a slap to "brutal violence". But perhaps you traded your ability to read for the mind reading thing. Or you know, you're an even bigger idiot.

Why didn't you read the minds that matter, Mr Xavier? Could it be that actually you're just an idiot that assumes with no evidence what people think and state it as a fact?

Especially since I've already stated in previous comments why I'm debating this topic. The reason being that people are equating a slap to "brutal violence". But perhaps you traded your ability to read for the mind reading thing. Or you know, you're an even bigger idiot.
You seem to be very upset about all of this.

WolfusFh

As opposed to you, who equates violence with words:
Nice strawman there. A little bit of interpretation would suit you wonders.
"The same level of consequence". Are you capable of understanding this? That means that the slap didn't cause any physical harm or injury to Chris Rock. It probably caused confusion, anger, embarrassment and humiliation (a lot of people think slaps are a form of humiliation).

These emotions, which are the extent of the consequences Chris Rock suffered, are on the same level of a mean comment in the same context, since depending on how "mean" a comment is, it might induce the same emotions. Thus, the consequences are on the same level.

But sure, let's pretend I said that I'm equating violence to words in general, since you wouldn't have a point without your 1st grade interpretation level.

Last edited:

It's privilege in that due to his position and fame he felt he was able to do something that the average person (white or black) couldn't.
If the white cameraman waltzed up to Rock and bitch slapped him like that what would happen to him? What if the white guest of a movie actress went up and did it?
Smith had the privilege to do something because of the position he held. That's the absolute definition of what privilege is. It wasn't his skin colour that gave him that, it was his fame and position.
While you sit there thinking about white privilege, the reality is that real privilege exists and you don't do anything.
Is Will Smiths black children going to have more opportunities in life or are my white kids? Who's going to get access to the better universities and education? Who is going to grow up in the nicer crime free area? Who's going to have access to the better lawyers if his kids or mine end up getting into trouble.
It's a simple thing, until you try to weave an agenda into it.

Ionian

"The same level of consequence". Are you capable of understanding this? That means that the slap didn't cause any physical harm or injury to Chris Rock. It probably caused confusion, anger, embarrassment and humiliation (a lot of people think slaps are a form of humiliation).

These emotions, which are the extent of the consequences Chris Rock suffered, are on the same level of a mean comment in the same context, since depending on how "mean" a comment is, it might induce the same emotions. Thus, the consequences are on the same level.

But sure, let's pretend I said that I'm equating violence to words in general, since you wouldn't have a point without your 1st grade interpretation level.

It's assault. Plain and simple. They let him cry for his award after, he knew he fucked up.

For what?

Consequences on the same level?

That would be allowing Chris Rock to hit him back and Will Smith taking it and not crying in his chair with "You keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth". Then acceptance speech and turning on the tear-ducts?

She has been in many other mens mouths, as documented by them as a couple. (THEM) Ain't no secret. They openly say the relationship is open.

Not trying to be scummy but it's all that is talked about in this news-cycle.

So his joke "Can't wait to see you in GI-Jane", infers something else but it wasn't nefarious it was friendly and Will Smith laughed.

Get your coat. What he did was fucked up.

Being condescending to everyone in this thread doesn't make your arguments any more valid. You really are stangely emotionally invested in all of this. You throw around the accusation that people are not interpreting your arguments correctly, meanwhile you're playing these strange semantic games with everyone.

It should be perfectly obvious to everyone that 'equating two actions' doesn't literally mean 'X = Y'. A kick is comparable to a punch, even though they involve different limbs. Equating the two doesn't need the addendum of 'the level of consequence of a kick compared to the level of consequence of a punch'.You can find whatever term for it you'd like, you are still comparing an act of violence to a joke, all whilst trying to defend the act of violence. You can twist yourself into a wordpretzel all you want.

On top of that, your entire argument is based on a series of assumptions. You don't know if or how much Chris Rock was physically hurt, you don't know how he felt and you don't know if or how much Will Smith was emotionally hurt by the joke (especially considering the video footage of him laughing about it before his wife gave him a side eye). All we know for sure is that one person committed violence, and another person made a joke, and based on that we can conclude that one is worse than the other.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's privilege in that due to his position and fame he felt he was able to do something that the average person (white or black) couldn't.
If the white cameraman waltzed up to Rock and bitch slapped him like that what would happen to him? What if the white guest of a movie actress went up and did it?
Smith had the privilege to do something because of the position he held. That's the absolute definition of what privilege is. It wasn't his skin colour that gave him that, it was his fame and position.
While you sit there thinking about white privilege, the reality is that real privilege exists and you don't do anything.
Is Will Smiths black children going to have more opportunities in life or are my white kids? Who's going to get access to the better universities and education? Who is going to grow up in the nicer crime free area? Who's going to have access to the better lawyers if his kids or mine end up getting into trouble.
It's a simple thing, until you try to weave an agenda into it.

And I addressed that... Wealth/fame privilege... Or did you miss that only focused on the white privilege part?

Yes, his kids will have opportunities mine won't ... So will Will and Jada and Chris and Denzel and Bradley Cooper and all of them in Hollywood.

I was just drawing a distinction between wealth/fame privilege and white privilege. You got likes because your post is basically saying "there is no white privilege" without actually saying that or meaning it.

When it's been statistically proven that a white high school graduate is more likely to get a certain job than a black college graduate... That is what white privilege is. Statistically it's more likely. Not that it happens all the time... Just more likely.

But more broadly, a rich person or their kids will get into a college MUCH easier than you or I or our kids. No matter how good their grades are, wealth usually trumps race.

WolfusFh

User removed from the thread for childish conduct
Being condescending to everyone in this thread doesn't make your arguments any more valid. You really are stangely emotionally invested in all of this. You throw around the accusation that people are not interpreting your arguments correctly, meanwhile you're playing these strange semantic games with everyone.
Semantic games of what? Having logical consistency in evaluating actions? Perhaps I should try your way of fallacies instead.
Because it's clear you're attempting to direct the discussion at my person. Whatever "supposed emotional investment" in this is irrelevant to what is actually being discussed.

The only accusations of people misinterpreting my arguments were based on facts. They were in fact misinterpreted and misrepresented. Pointing that out is part of a discussion.
It should be perfectly obvious to everyone that 'equating two actions' doesn't literally mean 'X = Y'. A kick is comparable to a punch, even though they involve different limbs. Equating the two doesn't need the addendum of 'the level of consequence of a kick compared to the level of consequence of a punch'.You can find whatever term for it you'd like, you are still comparing an act of violence to a joke, all whilst trying to defend the act of violence. You can twist yourself into a wordpretzel all you want.
And you can find whatever term you like, you're equating a slap to brutal violence just because both involve physical contact. Evaluating the consequences of actions is a logical step in determining how critical it is. But apparently you can just skip this entire process and just compare them based on the nature of the action and ignore everything else.
So are you actually suggesting that we ignore consequences of actions when evaluating these equations? Or are you saying that this should be done just in this particular case? And if it's the latter, what logical reason is there to do this?

Bold: If you cared to properly interpret what I said, you'd see that at no point I actually said or even implied any defense of the slap. From the very first line of my first comment in this thread, I made my point very clear. Yet you want to assume things about my "emotional investment" and what I'm "defending".

And my comparison between "words" and violence" was absurdly more logical than yours. Because I actually based it on something. Yet you presented no reason to ignore the consequences of the actions involved.

Are you even able to actually have a logical discussion or
On top of that, your entire argument is based on a series of assumptions. You don't know if or how much Chris Rock was physically hurt,
No news report anywhere made any statement in regards to Chris being injured. With this in mind, and considering how impactful slaps can be between 2 adults of similar physique, it's a fair assumption.
you don't know how he felt
Learn to read. I said he PROBABLY could feel that way. I'm already going on a worst case scenario in this regard. Because if Chris didn't feel anything, and if he wasn't injured, then that posed no consequence for him.
and you don't know if or how much Will Smith was emotionally hurt by the joke (especially considering the video footage of him laughing about it before his wife gave him a side eye).
Same point as above.
All we know for sure is that one person committed violence, and another person made a joke, and based on that we can conclude that one is worse than the other.
The "violence committed" is of a much lesser degree and impact than the level it is being treated as. That was the entire point, which was explicitly stated. Yet you, in your colossal stupidity, managed to miss it.

WolfusFh

It's assault. Plain and simple. They let him cry for his award after, he knew he fucked up.
It's not "brutal violence". That was what I was discussing.
For what?

Consequences on the same level?
Learn to interpret what is being said. At no point I said or even implied that "Will did it or will is correct in doing it because he has to equate the consequences".

The only time I mentioned consequences was in regards to legal actions being taken, since the comment that I replied to inferred that legal action should've been taken. That was when I mentioned consequences. So don't take part of my comment that has nothing to do with "justification" and try to imply it has.

Either address what I'm actually saying or don't reply.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's not "brutal violence". That was what I was discussing.

Learn to interpret what is being said. At no point I said or even implied that "Will did it or will is correct in doing it because he has to equate the consequences".

The only time I mentioned consequences was in regards to legal actions being taken, since the comment that I replied to inferred that legal action should've been taken. That was when I mentioned consequences. So don't take part of my comment that has nothing to do with "justification" and try to imply it has.

Either address what I'm actually saying or don't reply.
Who claimed it was "brutal violence" ? Nice strawman. Try slapping your significant other if someone as insufferable as you happens to have one you will be in jail if they decide to press charges it doesn't matter that it's not brutal violence. Keep trying to downplay assault with you verbal diarrhea.

slap knockout GIF

Slaps can knock people out. I guess because Rock took it like a champ, it's a "debatable" issue......

Will got what he deserves tbh.
His crowning achievement ruined cause he couldn’t handle a joke.
Been sad seeing dudes defend something that could easily be described as toxic masculinity.

Will got what he deserves tbh.
His crowning achievement ruined cause he couldn’t handle a joke.
Been sad seeing dudes defend something that could easily be described as toxic masculinity.
Toxix masculinity? What are you smoking?? You can't make all the male gender responsible for this bullshit. It's not toxic masculinity It's just beeing an idiot and not thinking about consequences.

Toxix masculinity? What are you smoking?? You can't make all the male gender responsible for this bullshit. It's not toxic masculinity It's just beeing an idiot and not thinking about consequences.
Nothing in what I said makes all the make gender anything.
I’d recommend listening to his acceptance speech. Some BS toxic masculinity right there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Celebs and their usual hypocritical life stories again. LOL.

With social media and online videos it sure gives people ammo to see what bullshitters celebs are. At least before all the self promoting social media era, they pretty much limited themselves to marketing products, doing charity cameos and 10 minute talk show interviews hyping their new movie kind of thing. With the internet, they got to keep their personal newsfeed going at all times even if it means personal life drama and BS. Back then, you flipped through TV Guide (Starweek here) and checked Letterman and Arsenio Hall synopsis and see who the guest stars were. And maybe you were lucky that month and your fav actor was on at 11 pm or midnight promoting a movie.

Something like Will and Jada's weird broken marriage and rapper sex toy would be relegated to dirt digging mags or National Enquirer articles back in the day. Now, they tell the world on their own!

Last edited:
Top Bottom