• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Ownage

I was married to one so I know it's not fun man.

A toxic relationship will be the end of you
I was also married to one. PhD, beautiful, sexy, and BPD. Took a lot to leave. Almost a decade later and it's just now becoming calm. I see relationships... differently now. Peace is a good feeling. I'm (always have been, always will be) happy to be alone, and I'm happy to be in a relationship.

A toxic relationship may be the end of you. Or, it may be the beginning of you. The choice is within each of us.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I just read this ridiculousness on CNN that Denzel Washington is spouting after the slap. I'll leave the quotes below but this Christian tinged pseudo bullshit has no relevance to what will Smith did. Just hides behind his Christian values when it's convenient.

Washington was a guest and speaker at Bishop T.D. Jakes' leadership summit on Saturday. During the two-hour discussion about faith and his award-winning acting career, Washington was asked about the infamous slap and what happened afterward.
"Well, there's a saying when the devil ignores you, then you know you're doing something wrong," Washington said in video of the exchange posted on Jakes' verified Twitter account.

"You know, the devil goes, 'Oh, no, leave him alone, he's my favorite. Don't bother him.' Conversely, when the devil comes at you, maybe it's because you're trying to do something right. And for whatever reason, the devil got a hold of that circumstance that night."

So not only is he spouting parables but he does it at huckster td jakes" leadership council". Give me a fucking break
Someone other than Pedro Almodovar should call him on his bullshit but the optics of calling out a famous black actor are not good. People would jump at the chance to claim racism I say this a minority who doesn't believe everything is racist.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
She was very good in Mandalorian. I was sad to see her go. I may not agree with her politics but she was an ass et on that show.
I read you, man, I read you :p

APKubQJ.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No they are not.. if they were really upset he would have been tossed out on his ass and shunned for 5 years like Louis CK.

Speaking of LCK... That video of him and Chris Rock laughing about LCK saying the N-word with the -er rubbed me the wrong way.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Why? What is so wrong with that? It's only a word. Why take so much offence from a word?

The history of this country... The fact I've been called the N-word before...

That word obviously has no effect on you because it isn't used AGAINST you... But it's been used against ME... SO YEAH.. I take offense to the word. I don't even like other black people saying the -a version around me.

Soodanim

That word obviously has no effect on you because it isn't used AGAINST you... But it's been used against ME... SO YEAH.. I take offense to the word. I don't even like other black people saying the -a version around me.
I think the George Carlin view and the late-career Richard Pryor view are both valid, but the difference is that George Carlin is a general approach to language while Pryor’s is a personal philosophy.

I think there’s room for both, because personal experiences shape us all. But ultimately it comes down to the meaning you put on the words you say and hear. Groups reclaiming the word by attaching their own meaning on it are fine (Carlin approach - giving it new context), but individuals will always associate words with their personal beliefs and experiences. That’s not wrong, but it is merely individual.

To take your view DT: by attaching more to it than you have to, it gives it more power against you. (The stigma around the word, like it’s some Voldemort level shit, also does the same.) If someone throws an insult at you, most of the time it’s probably just meant to be a shallow method of harming you. They do it because on most people, that works. But it really says more about them if they believe what they say, and it doesn’t make it true though. Hence “Sticks and stones”.

Lunarorbit

Someone other than Pedro Almodovar should call him on his bullshit but the optics of calling out a famous black actor are not good. People would jump at the chance to claim racism I say this a minority who doesn't believe everything is racist.
I guess I always knew Denzel had faith and you wanna be compassionate in the moment so I don't have a problem with that. Idk this entire episode is such a weird microcosm of the US. Youve got religion (scientology and Christianity), marital issues, class/Hollywood weirdness.

It was a dick move. Way more on will smiths side. But he's probably under a lot of pressure to be the man in his family especially after everything came out. But it's an award show and he's known rock for 30 years. You gotta know jokes will be made.

Amy Schumer is telling sites she wanted to do a Baldwin shooting joke. Imagine if that happened as well. Would have been kinda interesting to see both reactions

jason10mm

Gold Member
Amy Schumer is telling sites she wanted to do a Baldwin shooting joke. Imagine if that happened as well. Would have been kinda interesting to see both reactions
The Baldwin joke would have been x1000 worse, A. Alec straight up shot a lady and B Schumer would have been the one telling it.

But if someone vetted her stuff does that mean someone did the same for Rock? Or was the joke off the cuff?

Lunarorbit

The Baldwin joke would have been x1000 worse, A. Alec straight up shot a lady and B Schumer would have been the one telling it.

But if someone vetted her stuff does that mean someone did the same for Rock? Or was the joke off the cuff?
I was think he's was spur of the moment.

"Schumer then ran down some of the jokes that proved too controversial for the Oscars telecast, including bits about Joe Rogan and James Franco. One joke found Schumer addressing Alec Baldwin and the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust.” Schumer told the crowd ahead of the jokes, “I want to preface these Oscar jokes by saying that my lawyer said not to say these. Don’t tell anybody and don’t get mad at me.”

“’Don’t Look Up’ is the name of a movie? More like don’t look down the barrel of Alec Baldwin’s shotgun,” Schumer said. “I wasn’t allowed to say any of that [at the Oscars], but you can just come up and [slap] someone.”

kunonabi

"Schumer then ran down some of the jokes that proved too controversial for the Oscars telecast, including bits about Joe Rogan and James Franco. One joke found Schumer addressing Alec Baldwin and the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust.” Schumer told the crowd ahead of the jokes, “I want to preface these Oscar jokes by saying that my lawyer said not to say these. Don’t tell anybody and don’t get mad at me.”

“’Don’t Look Up’ is the name of a movie? More like don’t look down the barrel of Alec Baldwin’s shotgun,” Schumer said. “I wasn’t allowed to say any of that [at the Oscars], but you can just come up and [slap] someone.”
That Baldwin joke is awful and I mean construction not taste. Schumer's success still befuddles me.

NickFire

That Baldwin joke is awful and I mean construction not taste. Schumer's success still befuddles me.
She was hysterical when she started out. But somewhere along the line she morphed into a bitter single cat lady who only tells jokes the other cat lady's want to hear. But she's probably richer than rich so she has that going for her.

Baffling indeed. It's the whole "female comedian says gross things instead of funny things" phenomenon. Amy Schumer is just very successful at it, but a bunch of women tried it before her; off the top of my head I can think of like Nikki Glaser or Iliza Schlesinger. (I like comedy and try to keep up with the stand up circuit which is why I know of some of these names.)

Another variation that female comedians try is the "bumbling fat idiot" routine -- think Melissa McCarthy or Rebel Wilson.

I don't find either of those kinds funny. Just tell good jokes. For those examples, it's not about them being female; it's about them being bad comedians. And Amy Schumer is at the top of the "bad comedian" heap.

We need more female comedians like Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and (early career) Sarah Silverman. And less of the 3 chicks who were hosting the Oscars, who combined haven't told a single funny joke in their lives.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That Alec Baldwin joke is trash, but she still doesnt deserve to get assaulted for it. just boo and move on. Will Smith is just a moron. Everyone is joking about him and Jada now. It literally had the opposite effect. I bet Jada dumps him by Independence Day.

GymWolf

That's a shitty joke if i ever heard one...

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think the George Carlin view and the late-career Richard Pryor view are both valid, but the difference is that George Carlin is a general approach to language while Pryor’s is a personal philosophy.

I think there’s room for both, because personal experiences shape us all. But ultimately it comes down to the meaning you put on the words you say and hear. Groups reclaiming the word by attaching their own meaning on it are fine (Carlin approach - giving it new context), but individuals will always associate words with their personal beliefs and experiences. That’s not wrong, but it is merely individual.

To take your view DT: by attaching more to it than you have to, it gives it more power against you. (The stigma around the word, like it’s some Voldemort level shit, also does the same.) If someone throws an insult at you, most of the time it’s probably just meant to be a shallow method of harming you. They do it because on most people, that works. But it really says more about them if they believe what they say, and it doesn’t make it true though. Hence “Sticks and stones”.

It's just more than an insult, IMO. Like an Italian person being called the w-word or a Chinese person being called the c-word. I can't tell any of them to NOT be offended. And it's more than just individual. I think it's a shared group experience and sentiment.

This sentiment that certain words are just words is fairly new (speaking of the sentiment normalizing racial and ethnic slurs) ... My mom and my grandparents and others lived through segregation and the effects those slurs and epithets had on them... It's not about "power"... It's respect and being seen as an actual person.

Yes, those fools are idiots who say them ... I'm not saying I'm going to pop them in the mouth for it .. but my response will leave them either shutting up or running for their lives (not violence associated).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“First of all, it’s wrong to begin with,” Bay tells us while promoting his latest actioner, the bank heist-gone-wrong thriller Ambulance (watch above). “But that’s all people are talking about. And I don’t really care. Hollywood gets really self-absorbed. There are babies getting blown up in Ukraine right now. We should be talking about that.”

——

True. Hollywood can be a helpful distraction from the awful realities of the world. But ultimately it’s the drama club being dramatic and we shouldn’t let it hold undue relevance.

Moneal

“First of all, it’s wrong to begin with,” Bay tells us while promoting his latest actioner, the bank heist-gone-wrong thriller Ambulance (watch above). “But that’s all people are talking about. And I don’t really care. Hollywood gets really self-absorbed. There are babies getting blown up in Ukraine right now. We should be talking about that.”

——

True. Hollywood can be a helpful distraction from the awful realities of the world. But ultimately it’s the drama club being dramatic and we shouldn’t let it hold undue relevance.
Tell him no one cares about Ambulance, babies are being blown up in the Ukraine right now.

Cyberpunkd

——

Piers Morgan recently made a really good point on how fake the Hollywood reaction is:

Will Smith slaps a guy who made fun of his wife: Shock
Roman Polanski rapes a minor anally: Let's give him an Oscar

MacReady13

You are putting too much emphasis on 1 word. We have similar words here in Australia for Europeans that came here in the early/mid 20th century. I have been called a WOG all my life. Fuck it. Say it to me- I don't care. I'm proud of who I am and where I've come from. Words are only as harmful as you make them. If you don't give the word any power it is meaningless and harmless.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Baffling indeed. It's the whole "female comedian says gross things instead of funny things" phenomenon. Amy Schumer is just very successful at it, but a bunch of women tried it before her; off the top of my head I can think of like Nikki Glaser or Iliza Schlesinger. (I like comedy and try to keep up with the stand up circuit which is why I know of some of these names.)

Another variation that female comedians try is the "bumbling fat idiot" routine -- think Melissa McCarthy or Rebel Wilson.

I don't find either of those kinds funny. Just tell good jokes. For those examples, it's not about them being female; it's about them being bad comedians. And Amy Schumer is at the top of the "bad comedian" heap.

We need more female comedians like Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and (early career) Sarah Silverman. And less of the 3 chicks who were hosting the Oscars, who combined haven't told a single funny joke in their lives.
Lisa Lampanelli shits on every single one of the comics you just posted :p

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont find female comedians very funny. Although bits I've seen of Sarah SIlverman and Sandra Bernhard (Hudson Hawk is hilarious) can be funny.

From what I've seen, I'd put scripted act Peggy Bundy funnier than most female comedians.

As for the planned Baldwin joke, that wouldnt fly. Amy Schumer cant tell the difference between a joke aimed at a woman going bald with quirky marital problems willingly stated to the public, vs a tragic accident involving someone getting shot and killed.

That's like making fun of a celeb in a car accident. It can be funny if it's an accidental fender bender for laughs. But not too funny if some people died in fiery crash.

Last edited:
I think the devil came after Will way before the other night. In fact, it seems to me he brought the devil with him to the Oscars and sat right next to her.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I find it really weird, someone as old as her dressing like 16 year old kid. These dumb fucks only live by appearances.

I'm 47 and I dress how I want. I'm nearing 50... And? No one has to dress like our great grandparents did back in the day. Dress what you feel like. I wear a geek hoodie my sister made for me (that I paid for because that's her business).and I dare ANYONE to tell me I can't dress how I like. It's not extreme and it (what I'm wearing on that day) fits wherever I go. I have dress pants, dress shirts, ties, etc.

Plus, she's in Hollywood. Not everyone is dressing like Dame Judi Dench.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dont find female comedians very funny. Although bits I've seen of Sarah SIlverman and Sandra Bernhard (Hudson Hawk is hilarious) can be funny.

From what I've seen, I'd put scripted act Peggy Bundy funnier than most female comedians.

As for the planned Baldwin joke, that wouldnt fly. Amy Schumer cant tell the difference between a joke aimed at a woman going bald with quirky marital problems willingly stated to the public, vs a tragic accident involving someone getting shot and killed.

That's like making fun of a celeb in a car accident. It can be funny if it's an accidental fender bender for laughs. But not too funny if some people died in fiery crash.

Try Ali Wong ... She's hilarious! Or .. I can't remember her name but she's also hilarious! They both have specials on Netflix.

///PATRIOT

Banned
I'm 47 and I dress how I want. I'm nearing 50... And? No one has to dress like our great grandparents did back in the day. Dress what you feel like. I wear a geek hoodie my sister made for me (that I paid for because that's her business).and I dare ANYONE to tell me I can't dress how I like. It's not extreme and it (what I'm wearing on that day) fits wherever I go. I have dress pants, dress shirts, ties, etc.

Plus, she's in Hollywood. Not everyone is dressing like Dame Judi Dench.
lol dude, she looks like a clown and uhmm hoodies are pretty standard casual attire, what are you talking about?

Chill, no one here is commanding you or her how to dress :)

Soodanim

It's just more than an insult, IMO. Like an Italian person being called the w-word or a Chinese person being called the c-word. I can't tell any of them to NOT be offended. And it's more than just individual. I think it's a shared group experience and sentiment.

This sentiment that certain words are just words is fairly new (speaking of the sentiment normalizing racial and ethnic slurs) ... My mom and my grandparents and others lived through segregation and the effects those slurs and epithets had on them... It's not about "power"... It's respect and being seen as an actual person.

Yes, those fools are idiots who say them ... I'm not saying I'm going to pop them in the mouth for it .. but my response will leave them either shutting up or running for their lives (not violence associated).
Interesting points, especially the grandparents and segregation. It makes me wonder how much of the offence taken is passed down, because it shouldn’t carry the same weight in modern times. There’s no system of second class citizenship behind it, so in and of itself it should mean less by default. It can mean someone wants you to think you still are a second class citizen, but everyone involved knows deep down that it’s not true.

It’s hard to generalise when the whole point is context, so it’s impossible to account for those extremes where people are raised to think someone is lesser and are truly ignorant. And if someone truly means what they’re saying, then it’s the same outcome: what they say provokes a certain reaction. But I think it’s an important distinction, personally. Society has put extra special status on that one particular racial slur, but everyone would be better off if they didn’t pretend it was the end of the world. You’re still an ignorant dickhead if you call someone that, but it feels like I’m the last 5 or so years it’s moved up again, and that forbidden nature only serves to give it more power. I’ve probably repeated myself here. Can’t be bothered to proof read on mobile.

Makes for some good comedy though.

I need to look into the origin of “ofay”.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Damn...
Dude needs to get out of that relationship ASAP.

Just goes to show, don’t beat yourself up too much if you end up in a toxic relationship. It can happen to anyone. Can’t stay in it once you realize, though.

“Bad marriage for life.” Nah, Will, that’s where it all goes wrong.

Top Bottom