• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Well you were right about it being ti foil hattish lol

Its just a guy hitting a guy because the guy upset his wife. That happens all the time.

And I believe your take is valid, too. In a vacuum. I'm sure neither Rock, Jada or Will were thinking of profound ramifications in this little event, but I can tell you, on a larger scale, the wheels are already turning. Twitter has already turned this into a race issue, laughable as they're BOTH BLACK MEN. The peanut gallery is going to be smugly making jokes about black on black violence/crime, and it's just another mag in the limitless arsenal of furthering each side's interests.

Yes, it's just a man defending his wife from criticism, but the butterfly effect is always at play. It's just a mechanic half assing an inspection, but the pile up on the freeway when homeboy's brakes don't work is a bigger deal. It's just a company deciding to use cheaper metal in the beams they're using to construct the mall. It becomes a bigger deal when the building collapses because of problems with structural integrity and 150 people are killed or severely injured.

Nothing that you read online or see on TV hasn't been approved, thought up or going to be used by someone with more pull that you aren't even considering. It's the way of the world.

Toons

I'm leaning on the side of believing the whole thing was scripted. The Oscars need drama to get people to tune in after the Oscars woke politics drove viewers away.

Will openly uses expletives towards chris that wouldn't be allowed on this airing during the show. It was uncensored in some countries. If it was scripted that wouldn't have happened.

This was 100% legitimate.

Dr Bass

I can't believe how many people I'm seeing on social media calling for assault charges. I'm sorry but anyone who would press charges over a slap must be the biggest bitch on the planet earth and can't handle a bruised ego. Hell, it's dumb as fuck a slap can be considered a crime to begin with. Some MFers deserve to get punched let alone slap. The world would be a better place if people could settle their differences like men with some fist o cuffs.

That being said slapping Chris was an overreaction, but the dude grew up in NYC, that shit will just slide off his back he's dealt with worse I can assure you.
Sorry man, that’s just not how society works. You cannot even lay your hands on another adult without it potentially being assault.

Of course some people deserve to be punched. But you don’t. Because, again, hopefully we live in a society and we should be civilized. Of course Smith should be charged. Do we not have equal protections under the law?

The funny thing is just how ridiculous he ends up looking. He barely even phased Rock. So either we learned Rock has an iron chin or Smith slaps like a clown. It’s a no win situation for Smith. What a complete idiot. Losing his cool because a guy made a joke about his wife.

Hypothetical situation. What if he just shouts back “you’re out of line on this one buddy, so get back in it.”

Kenpachii

Kinda low blow if she has a hair condition where she struggles with and u taking the piss out of it.

I kinda understand will smith. Would trigger the living shit out of me also. Specially if your wife struggles with it massively.

However slamming him in the head is a really bad look, he should just have gone on stage and stated you are a piece of shit u know that and leave.

Last edited:
FO6VkhrVcAEZJqy

Pidull

Man i was a big fan of will smith..this is such a let down to me...what the hell is he thinking ?!?!!?
He's in a psychologically abusive, unloving relationship and has unresolved emotional issues himself. He has become Jada's ultimate bitch, to the point that he thinks he HAD to do what he did, and that what he did was morally justifiable.

Will Smith was a broken man after Jada's affair, and then he willingly opened up about it during her show IIRC. He basically blames himself that she slept around.

He's gotta get himself outta that relationship and into some heavy therapy, hopefully Chris Rock presses charges and can get him moving in the right direction because that was assault for a woman who doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Chris Rock shouldn't have made the joke. Will Smith shouldn't have hit him. No charges will be filed. Will won which is cool I guess.

Beyond that these dudes are multi-multi-millionaires who will be just fine going forward and I can't bring myself to care more than that.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sorry man, that’s just not how society works. You cannot even lay your hands on another adult without it potentially being assault.

Of course some people deserve to be punched. But you don’t. Because, again, hopefully we live in a society and we should be civilized. Of course Smith should be charged. Do we not have equal protections under the law?

The funny thing is just how ridiculous he ends up looking. He barely even phased Rock. So either we learned Rock has an iron chin or Smith slaps like a clown. It’s a no win situation for Smith. What a complete idiot. Losing his cool because a guy made a joke about his wife.

Hypothetical situation. What if he just shouts back “you’re out of line on this one buddy, so get back in it.”
You’re at the supermarket with your girlfriend, wife, whatever. Someone walks by and grabs her ass and laughs. What do you do? Yell at him? Give him the finger? Call 911? Or go over the deck the guy.

It is how society works. Maybe not technically under the law, but in the real world that’s how society works. It’s how it’s always worked. Police and the criminal justice system have better shit to do than meddle in petty differences. Some things need to be handled like men with fists.

And that is fists. We’re talking about a slap. Dust yourself off and get over it.

nush

Gold Member
Will openly uses expletives towards chris that wouldn't be allowed on this airing during the show. It was uncensored in some countries. If it was scripted that wouldn't have happened.

They know, you know that. Easy way to add authenticity and swearing on live TV is actually nothing anymore.

sol_bad

What is she going through?

She has an auto immune disease that causes her to lose hair. She only spoke about it publicly in December so I doubt Chris Rock knew.

He was living in their house.

That's just weird, whatever makes them happy I guess

Lolcow. Chris made a funny at Jada. Will laughed till Jada gave him the evil eye. He slapped Chris and accepted an award in the name of peace and love.

I did find his speech very funny considering what just happened.

MayauMiao

You mean the live TV broadcast had it censored?

You’re at the supermarket with your girlfriend, wife, whatever. Someone walks by and grabs her ass and laughs. What do you do? Yell at him? Give him the finger? Call 911? Or go over the deck the guy.
Dude, big difference. That's sexual assault and any person that sexually assaults my girlfriend is going to get the absolute piss beat out of them.

Comparing a mild joke to a sexual assault is absurd. More likely than not, Chris Rock had no idea about the alopecia

Dr Bass

It is how society works. Maybe not technically under the law, but in the real world that’s how society works. It’s how it’s always worked. Police and the criminal justice system have better shit to do than meddle in petty differences. Some things need to be handled like men with fists.

And that is fists. We’re talking about a slap. Dust yourself off and get over it.
You’re an idiot.

Toons

They know, you know that. Easy way to add authenticity and swearing on live TV is actually nothing anymore.

That's not how that works.

There are contracts and everything tied to that s***. Will Smith and Chris rock don't even need publicity. They are some of the most prominent names in their fields.

The way it plays out it is obviously legitimate. You can see Chris not even knowing what to do as will approaches him. Theres no other explanation, its real.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I was team fake too at first when I saw it on Twitter, but with the LAPD reaching out and just how awkward everything was afterwards that was real.

It's not NEARLY as big of a deal as people are making of it though. If this had happened at an after party it wouldn't even register. It's just that it happened live that has people in hysterics and acting ridiculous.

Ownage

A crazy drunk guy grabbed my ex wife's ass at a bar many years ago. Did it twice over 5 minutes. Grabbed a handful. She told me and I put him on the ground. They kicked him out. No charges. Wasn't my finest moment, but no regrets.

Smith did what he felt that he had to do.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Dude, big difference. That's sexual assault and any person that sexually assaults my girlfriend is going to get the absolute piss beat out of them.

Comparing a mild joke to a sexual assault is absurd. More likely than not, Chris Rock had no idea about the alopecia
I’m not comparing the two at all. I said I believe people should be able to settle differences with their fists irrespective of what happened tonight.

Chris Rock should not have been slapped. It also would’ve been a bitch move to press charges over a slap.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

Did you just compare sexual assault to a joke....christ almighty we got a special one here people

Toons

Im betting chris want entirely unprivy to the situation. No one just blows up like this without any sort of bad blood prior unless they are intoxicated or overwhelmed with stress.

If Chris knew about it, yeah thats a douchey thing to joke about especially in front of millions like that.

But will didn't handle this well. He could've done literally anything else. Talked to him after the show in private. Posted something online. Walked out in protest. Anything. He chose to get violent.

I understand the feeling, and these folks are just humans with a lot of money, but thats not the way to deal with this. Its unbecoming and its a shame he allowed that to undermine what otherwise was a big achievement for him.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Like I've said elsehwere I won't hate on either guy. Chris probably had no ill intentions with the joke. At the same time maybe Will was having a bad day. It is what it is and hopefully both guys can work it out.

Top Bottom