• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

sol_bad

🤢

His wife cheated on him, then made him cry and apologize to her on TV. She's a bitch and he's a mug. Fuck both of them.

I can't wait to hear Chappelle's take.

I don't understand why people get so invested in and care about stars personal lives. You are never going to meet them or be friends with them, who gives a fuck. Just enjoy their art and performances.

j0hnnix

rick james cocaine GIF

Kilau

If whatever network that airs this shit doesn’t copyright claim these videos we’ll know it was scripted.

Lunarorbit

I like Lupita Nyong'o face on the back ground of that whole exchange. Especially when will starts yelling after he sits down.

Rykan

It was over the top and very inappropriate.

Yes, the joke was in poor taste, but that doesn't mean you should just walk up to that person and physically assault him on national television in front of an audience. Chris Rock is literally there to make jokes. He made a bad one that was offensive. That happens, its part of comedy. You go to far sometimes. Will Smith could have expressed his displeasure in an adult, mature way without immidiately flocking towards physical abuse, knowing FULL WELL that Chris Rock CANNOT physically defend himself in that situation.

Romulus

I just don't understand all the contradictions. Will went from laughing at the joke to casually smacking Chris, to furious when he sat back down, then starting talking about peace and love while crying but it's all about "defending your family." Oh, and btw, "I'm sorry also." If it's really about defending your family, don't fucking apologize to anyone, stand on your feet about what you did. Like wtf are you even trying to communicate here?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Will Smith and Jada went way too public with their marriage a few months ago. IIRC, twitter was trending stfu Will Smith and Jada Smith because they kept oversharing.

I think what's happening here is that Will Smith felt like a cuck after his wife told everyone about her affair, and felt like he needed to man up. I bet it was like inception, this idea kept eating away at him building up and it all just came out at the wrong moment. The guy is usually very chill. He laughed at the joke. His wife must have given him a look that set him off.

Mad props to Chris Rock for handling it so well. I wouldve smacked him right back like the little bitch he is.

Not surprised that the Academy went ahead and gave him an oscar. Shouldve sent him packing immediately after the incident and sent the president of the Academy on stage to explain why Will isnt there to accept his oscar because Oscars arent handed out to violent nutjobs who assault people in front of hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

Not surprised that the audience gave him a standing ovation. These people gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation. They have thanked woody allen and harvey weinstein in their speeches for years. They gave Christian Bale an oscar five years after he was caught assaulting his director of photography. They are all hypocrites and enablers.

I just don't understand all the contradictions. Will went from laughing at the joke to casually smacking Chris, to furious when he sat back down, then starting talking about peace and love while crying but it's all about "defending your family." Oh, and btw, "I'm sorry also." If it's really about defending your family, don't fucking apologize to anyone, stand on your feet about what you did. Like wtf are you even trying to communicate here?
He found the joke funny. Then realized his wife is pissed. Then felt he had to do something or his wife would emasculate him again. Then ad breaks happened, where his handler talked to him several times on what to say in his acceptance speech later.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Woke up from my usual shitty sleeping habits, went to gaf to check gaming and saw this for the first time. Love it.

So Chris Rock made a GIJane joke at Jada due to her short hair? Will Smith laughs at he joke for the first few seconds then hits Rock?

LOL.

Alfen Dave

I would've followed;

The reason why Will ask him to keep her name out of my mouth is because she looks like ''You-Know-Who'' from Harry Potter.
I would've also dropped the mike and ran.

Helghan

Very tame joke, too. Ricky Gervais would've called her a bald cunt or something.
Then you completely don't understand Ricky Gervais jokes. Ricky laughs about the behavior and mistakes celebrities make. It was their own decision to do those things, and that's what he writes a joke about. He wouldn't laugh with someone because they have a disease.

I'm not sure if Chris Rock knew she had a disease though, if so it's in extremely bad taste, if not then he was unlucky with the circumstances.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
It's not NEARLY as big of a deal as people are making of it though. If this had happened at an after party it wouldn't even register. It's just that it happened live that has people in hysterics and acting ridiculous.

Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. It's just that it happened to be one celebrity slapping another celebrity, out of the blue, on stage, at the Oscars, live in front of millions watching as well as all the other celebrities in the audience. Why the big deal?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Scripted to get more views since the viewership is declining.
I was thinking the same thing.

Will Smith and Jada went way too public with their marriage a few months ago. IIRC, twitter was trending stfu Will Smith and Jada Smith because they kept oversharing.

I think what's happening here is that Will Smith felt like a cuck after his wife told everyone about her affair, and felt like he needed to man up. I bet it was like inception, this idea kept eating away at him building up and it all just came out at the wrong moment. The guy is usually very chill. He laughed at the joke. His wife must have given him a look that set him off.

Mad props to Chris Rock for handling it so well. I wouldve smacked him right back like the little bitch he is.

Not surprised that the Academy went ahead and gave him an oscar. Shouldve sent him packing immediately after the incident and sent the president of the Academy on stage to explain why Will isnt there to accept his oscar because Oscars arent handed out to violent nutjobs who assault people in front of hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

Not surprised that the audience gave him a standing ovation. These people gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation. They have thanked woody allen and harvey weinstein in their speeches for years. They gave Christian Bale an oscar five years after he was caught assaulting his director of photography. They are all hypocrites and enablers.
Based on your post I had to google what these two were all about. I dont follow celebs, but read one site that had all this shit about these two over the years talking about this and that, break up, separation, some rapper named August whatever, etc.... these two really know how to milk the media and fanbase over their marital situation.

If they really cared about privacy and keeping things family first, they'd do what lots of celebs do and be private about their home life and stop being in the spotlight gabbing. Johnny Carson was supposedly one of those guys. The second the TV show taping was over for the day, the guy went home, nobody could get hold of him and he'd hardly do any interviews or hollywood shit out side of his talk show. What's home life is home life, what's work life is work life.

Like some people I think this was staged.

I don't see how someone can smack another person (if real) and then still be around to go on stage and grab an award as if nobody cared what happened.... because the Oscar organizers know it's fake.

Last edited:

KielCasto

Chris Rock handled it pretty well I think. I also think his joke wasn't even done in bad spirits.
Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can't wait to see you
That was an over-the-top response from Will Smith.

Now excuse me while I read about this disease

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. It's just that it happened to be one celebrity slapping another celebrity, out of the blue, on stage, at the Oscars, live in front of millions watching as well as all the other celebrities in the audience. Why the big deal?
And nobody is going to give a shit about it by tomorrow night. It was a bad joke. A bad reaction. No charges.

The world spins on. Welcome to the social media age.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chris Rock handled it pretty well I think. I also think his joke wasn't even done in bad spirits.

That was an over-the-top response from Will Smith.

Now excuse me while I read about this disease
I didn't know this till I read it now, but she has that hair disease where her hair falls out. So she decided to shave it.

Nah, I reckon people might remember this one for a while. They get a free reminder every year the Oscars is on too.
Exactly. Best way for Oscar organizers to hype up future ratings as nothing else they've done has worked. Will a bad joke lead to more smacks? And now this incident will talked about for ages. It's not like it's going to go away in 48 hours. Oscars have buzz again even if it's due to a slap.

I think it was staged. And what better way to do it from two comedians who are probably good friends outside of media too. Who knows.

It would be a lot different if let's say Morgan Freeman hit Meryl Streep.

Last edited:
It was over the top and very inappropriate.

Yes, the joke was in poor taste, but that doesn't mean you should just walk up to that person and physically assault him on national television in front of an audience. Chris Rock is literally there to make jokes. He made a bad one that was offensive. That happens, its part of comedy. You go to far sometimes. Will Smith could have expressed his displeasure in an adult, mature way without immidiately flocking towards physical abuse, knowing FULL WELL that Chris Rock CANNOT physically defend himself in that situation.

I wonder if that was Chappelle or Gervais making that joke if they would have clapped back. Hell if that was The Rock he definitely would have, but then again Will Smith would have kept quiet about it. He might have even offered Jada to the Rock so he could bang her after the event.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My friend has alopecia. One day everything started falling out. Hair, eyebrows, everything. He looks like Uncle Leo in that Seinfeld episode where the stove blew up.

The obvious l thing for Will Smith to do now is to go on Rogan with Jada this week to talk about it. And for the first time in Rogan's career, he'll be the 2nd baldest person in the interview room.

spons

Gold Member
When I did something stupid when I was younger, I would take the punch and everything would be settled like a kind of gentleman's agreement. Boys will be boys.

BigBooper

Chris shoulda rolled right into a joke about Will's murder cult. (Edit: He's claimed he's never been a scientologist.)

It doesn't look like the kind of thing that would be staged. Will's career is going pretty well. What would be the benefit to him for the world to see him lose it and cry after realizing his wife saw him laugh at a joke at her expense? I guess he can get a permanent seat at The View maybe.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Either will smith can’t really hit hard or Chris rock can take a hit.

Edit: Thinking about this more.
I don’t really care.
i don’t know either of those guys personally. My opinion means fuck all.
I didn’t even know the Oscar’s were on.

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

forget will smith GIF

Last edited:
Then you completely don't understand Ricky Gervais jokes. Ricky laughs about the behavior and mistakes celebrities make. It was their own decision to do those things, and that's what he writes a joke about. He wouldn't laugh with someone because they have a disease.
Okay, then he would've called her a cheating cunt.

BigBooper

Will Smith broke. He laughed at the joke initially, but then just went into full meltdown. That family have major issues.

Will Smith is part of a murder cult?!
He claims he's never been a scientologist, but there's testimony otherwise. (I didn't know he claimed that until just now. I only knew the other evidence.)

MadAnon

Well, the culture of "Chill, It's just a joke" sure is getting out of hand to be honest. You can pretty much say every mean thing that's on your mind as long as you put a "it's just a joke" disclaimer at the end.

Toons

Theres word going around that this is not a first for the rock and hes targeted Jada with jokes at her expense before so perhaps they've discussed this

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't keep up with the "news." Why did he slap him?
Chris Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett's shaved head (due to her hair disease) being in a GIJane 2. SO Will Smith (assuming it wasnt staged) went nuts. Even odder is if you watch the right video clip (that shows the whole segment), Will Smith actually laughs at the joke at first when the cam shows him, but then the next second walks on stage and slaps him.

Top Bottom