• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine prototype gameplay footage leaks (major spoilers)

simpatico

Never seen a leak crush as much good will for a game that people were excited for. Brutal stuff. Based on the roadmap, people still have to spend two year polishing the stillborn turd

John Wick

Prob a hot take, but why two characters? feels like padding to break a boring gameplay loop.
Lpm 00
Oh I would and Ive done it myself a few times! I work in security and I have fallen for simulation tests but not for a number of years as I’m now super paranoid 😂

I don’t blame people for that, some of the emails are very sneaky and clever. Some are plain obvious as tests and it’s all about educating users, not to make people feel stupid.

What concerns me is that clicking a phishing link shouldn’t automatically compromise your entire network, they should have a sophisticated DLP (Data Leak prevention) system to counteract extracted data to add to their defence in depth married with EDR and IDS tools etc. I’m shocked that Sony, Rockstar etc etc are not investing HEAVILY in their security as time goes on. I’m sure they are but damn seeing this over and over is bad.

This is not an easy task due to encryption etc. as no doubt this was probably a pretty skilled group and encrypted the data on the way out to make it just seem like legitimate traffic.

Sony obviously didn’t see this as worth paying the ransom for which is really interesting.
If they don't pay then hackers are less likely to do it again.

themonk

Neo Member
This thread is living proof of why prototype material should never be made public.

I can remember the shit people were saying in the GTA6 leak thread too.
I don’t see too many talking down on it, outside of it looking like another generic 3rd person over the shoulder game JUST LIKE SPIDERMAN!

Everyone knows the graphics will be top notch and gameplay and AI will probably make this another generic easy to get through game.

Eiknarf

Banned
I can’t believe the leaked footage is from 2021. It’s 2023 now!! To me it looks like that 2021 footage is about a year away from completion, yet it’s still not going to be ready for three more years from NOW!! 2026!?! Really?

themonk

Neo Member
I keep seeing newer and newer content of the leak on YouTube.

Pardon my ignorance, but can Sony or Insomniac demand YouTube remove said videos?

Like this;

holy snikes the Virtue signal is up Batman…. Nobody watch THIS video that I’m posting for everyone to see you are basically murdering a dev by doing so…

Eiknarf

Banned
holy snikes the Virtue signal is up Batman…. Nobody watch THIS video that I’m posting for everyone to see you are basically murdering a dev by doing so…
Good answer

I’ll ask again

Can Sony or Insomniac demand YouTube take all the videos down?

themonk

Neo Member
Never seen a leak crush as much good will for a game that people were excited for. Brutal stuff. Based on the roadmap, people still have to spend two year polishing the stillborn turd
I think this is more damaging to Playstation than to the game… I actually liked the fact Sony was going in the direction of multiplayer games (hopefully pvp games and less pve)….

Give us multiple shooters and some rogue like difficult games….

But it seems like we are going to get generic 3rd person games for another generation with even less play time complete with “accessibility” options for the 2 blind people that play games…

Really smart to have another playable character since that will break up the monotony of melee combat and open things up for the X-Men game with established gameplay.

All they have to do for X-Men is up the polygon count and add more playable characters.

X-Men ranked by popularity according to comic vine:

1. Wolverine
2. Cyclops
3. Jean Grey
4. Rogue
5. Gambit
6. Colossus
7. Nightcrawler
8. Beast
9. Angel
10. Iceman
11. Banshee
12. Storm

You obviously don't have to create each and every character, but the potential for an X-Men game is leaps and bounds beyond pretty much every other marvel property and some of these characters are easy to make, while some are going to be challenging.

If the game is on PS6 making it multiplayer makes a lot of sense too.
Que?! Why is Storm Berry after all these nobodies:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Skifi28

I can’t believe the leaked footage is from 2021. It’s 2023 now!! To me it looks like that 2021 footage is about a year away from completion, yet it’s still not going to be ready for three more years from NOW!! 2026!?! Really?
They might have a few vertical slices ready, but that doesn't say much for the state of the rest of the game. We don't even know if those sections that appear complete use final assets/mechanics. The game could look or play completely different at release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The content of this leak really makes it all so tiresome. Wolverine Arkham combat, Uncharted wall climbing, terrible actors. Is AAA gaming really dead bro's? All we got left is GTA, Japan and indies.

Press R1 for Detective Mode, go search for clues and trinkets as Logan!
Yet some people seem to swallow all the way down to the nuts, those Arkham mechanics, when they want to prop it up against Spider-Man. Interesting.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Game doesn't look too hot to me. Looks like a mindless button masher. The story better be damn good to carry the rest of the boring gameplay. At least they made Logan short this time.

ProtoByte

Wait wait wait. X men is WOKE?! You’re telling me, that mutants coming out to their parents and getting disowned, humanity being incredibly bigoted towards mutants, the bad guy, Magneto, being a holocaust survivor who becomes a mutant supremacist after losing faith that humanity will ever accept them - Xavier maintaining the dream that mutantkind and humankind will cohabitate in peace one day… you’re telling me all that is some sort of allegory???
Bad news, friend. Almost none of that stuff has anything to do with the (original) comics, all the way up until the early '00s.

Magneto was neither Jewish or a victim of the holocaust until the comic inaccurate movie came out. Mutants have always been feared in the Marvel universe (which makes no sense when other heroes are loved and trusted), but the allegory went from a 2 to an 11 ever since the movie.

This is the effect of the post-Brian Singer narrative around the X-Men. If you pay attention to the current comics (not recommended), you'll find that they've essentially become the "queer af" corner of the Marvel universe. Well, more queer than the rest of it. It was not always like that, but they shove current crap into your face to make it seem like it was.

I don't really trust Insomniac not to take cues from that shit, now that I think about. Are they going to make Ice Man gay?

How Sweet-Baby incish does that the plot leak look to anyone who's read it? No spoilers otherwise, obviously.

Bad news, friend. Almost none of that stuff has anything to do with the (original) comics, all the way up until the early '00s.

Magneto was neither Jewish or a victim of the holocaust until the comic inaccurate movie came out. Mutants have always been feared in the Marvel universe (which makes no sense when other heroes are loved and trusted), but the allegory went from a 2 to an 11 ever since the movie.

This is the effect of the post-Brian Singer narrative around the X-Men. If you pay attention to the current comics (not recommended), you'll find that they've essentially become the "queer af" corner of the Marvel universe. Well, more queer than the rest of it. It was not always like that, but they shove current crap into your face to make it seem like it was.

I don't really trust Insomniac not to take cues from that shit, now that I think about. Are they going to make Ice Man gay?

How Sweet-Baby incish does that the plot leak look to anyone who's read it? No spoilers otherwise, obviously.

Imagine being so utterly wrong about something...

q8q09cow78591.jpg

ProtoByte

Imagine being so utterly wrong about something...

q8q09cow78591.jpg

I was half right. My mistake.

In 1975, the transformation of a nation of refugees into a formidable military power sounded more like a redemption arc than it does today. Magneto’s backstory encompassed more than traumatisation in a death camp; it also came to include a past (and present) as a Nazi hunter, Mossad agent, and CIA asset—mirroring public perception of the superhero-like performance of the Israeli Defence Force in the 1970’s and 80’s (see also Adam Sandler’s 2008 You Don’t Mess with the Zohan). But Claremont’s choice to make Magneto a Holocaust survivor was not straightforwardly a choice to make him Jewish; in the early 1990’s Magneto was portrayed as a Gypsy survivor of Auschwitz named Erik Lehnsherr.

It is absolutely true that no such ethnicity or experience was attached to Magneto when Stan Lee conceived and revealed him in '63 - and even at that time, mutants were outcasts.

What definitely holds js that the whole "have you tried not being gay a mutant" thing never really applied until Brian Singer came along.

I'll tell you this much, from the outline I've read, Insomniac isn't planning to veer off the path they laid out in Spiderman 2. It seems like they're steadfast on it.

Some people are definitely not going to be thrilled about certain aspects. They also seem to be borrowing some narrative ideas from the X-men origins: Wolverine movie. It sounds like it might be as divisive as Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

Magneto was neither Jewish or a victim of the holocaust until the comic inaccurate movie came out.

The holocaust narrative pre-dates the Singer movies with two decades, so there’s that.

themonk

Neo Member
I'll tell you this much, from the outline I've read, Insomniac isn't planning to veer off the path they laid out in Spiderman 2. It seems like they're steadfast on it.

Some people are definitely not going to be thrilled about certain aspects. They also seem to be borrowing some narrative ideas from the X-men origins: Wolverine movie. It sounds like it might be as divisive as Spiderman 2.
What’s the full plot leak?

I was half right. My mistake.

It is absolutely true that no such ethnicity or experience was attached to Magneto when Stan Lee conceived and revealed him in '63 - and even at that time, mutants were outcasts.

What definitely holds js that the whole "have you tried not being gay a mutant" thing never really applied until Brian Singer came along.

No buddy, you weren't half right.

At the same time, the attempt to separate portray Magneto as a Gypsy was also criticised as a form of Jewish erasure. This portrayal was, finally, canonically disavowed in 1998 (X-Men #72), when “Erik Lehnsherr the Sinti” was revealed to be a forged identity.

Characters in comics evolve over time. Authors will delve into who their characters are, what their motivations are, their backstories, e.t.c. All of this usually doesn't happen in the first panels in which they are introduced.

Magneto had been a holocaust survivor since the 80s and clearly understood to be Jewish. You just never read the comics. Maybe you watched the cartoon in the 90s or something. And nothing against the cartoon but they didn't have a ton of time to go into depth on every character, and it was more largely aimed at kids.

Even in the 90s animated series there is discussed being a "cure" for mutants, something Rogue explores, which I'm sure is something that lent itself to Brian Singer's exploration of what in means to be mutant in his movie.

Mr.Phoenix

I don’t see too many talking down on it, outside of it looking like another generic 3rd person over the shoulder game JUST LIKE SPIDERMAN!

Everyone knows the graphics will be top notch and gameplay and AI will probably make this another generic easy to get through game.
I don't see anyone talking down on it.

Then goes on to talk down on it.

Ok. Got you.

themonk

Neo Member
I don't see anyone talking down on it.

Then goes on to talk down on it.

Ok. Got you.
How so… If you like 3rd person action games that are easy to complete that can be great and it will sell well.

Please explain how this looks different than Batman Arkham games with some spiderman type animations?

That’s not talking down on it and is most likely what the game will be…

If that’s talking down you guys are sensitive as hell.

Last edited:
How so… If you like 3rd person action games that are easy to complete that can be great and it will sell well.

Please explain how this looks different than Batman Arkham games with some spiderman type animations?

You're right, it should have been a puzzle game...

themonk

Neo Member
You're right, it should have been a puzzle game...
Nice dodge there buddy….

the mechanics of the game look like rip off of an Arkham…

This game looks like a simple look on and player quickly zoom/dashes towards enemy and you simply button mash with the ability to use gadgets or other combos with easy to beat bosses like Spiderman.

I expect nothing creative from this game and their most likely won’t be and you know it…

That’s not talking down on it, that’s just an opinion on it.

It will probably sell well and be praised by everyone. You’re just bitter that people have an opinion on what they’ve seen.

Nice dodge there buddy….

the mechanics of the game look like rip off of an Arkham…

This game looks like a simple look on and player quickly zoom/dashes towards enemy and you simply button mash with the ability to use gadgets or other combos with easy to beat bosses like Spiderman.

I expect nothing creative from this game and their most likely won’t be and you know it…

That’s not talking down on it, that’s just an opinion on it.

It will probably sell well and be praised by everyone. You’re just bitter that people have an opinion on what they’ve seen.

It's interesting that you know the difference between your and you're but not their and there.

You're assuming a lot based on very limited prototype video and even what we've seen in the video isn't accurate based on your description.

Batman didn't zoom/dash towards enemies either. And can you give me an example of melee combat in any game that doesn't match your description? That was the most generic description of gameplay.

Also don't recall see any bosses in the prototype videos.

Justin9mm

Would've liked if Wolverine was a bit more bulky and muscular. His physical frame in the footage makes him look a bit too slim.

EDIT: Its still early footage. Maybe they'll change it in the final version.
This is more of a first presentation to showcase potential style of gameplay and what it might look like. This looks like such early footage, it's missing a lot of animation, effects etc. Everything can change. I don't understand how ppl look at this and think, this is sort of what it's going to look like when complete. Combat style maybe, but it's going to look vastly different graphically to what you're seeing now.

simpatico

Hol up. There's crafting for suit upgrades? What can a spandex suit offer than an adementium skeleton does not?

I don't see anyone really bagging on the graphics. I think we all understand the stuff will get sharper and shinier. It's the gameplay that is getting flack. Just press square to do cool claw punches and then circle to auto dodge to the next enemy. This was novel when Arkham Aslyum came out. Just like detective vision. Now it's just another trope. Logan deserves better.

Anyone know what the fail state is? Like, how do you "die" in a Wolverine game?

I mean the 90’s x men show had a lot of these themes as well did it not? It was in the 80’s they started introducing the more blatant stuff. Bryan Singer took it next level maybe but it was definitely there pretty strongly before.

Now I am not saying I love it when it beats you over the head with the themes, I don’t - I like metaphors and subtext. And I thought SM2 was almost cringeworthy in this respect, to the point of seeming like corpo pandering. But x-men is, and has been specifically tackling “woke” themes for the past 40 years.

Mr.Phoenix

Do you see what you did here? Now this is not talking it down. This describes a genre of game, also known as third-person action-adventure games. Now how easy or difficult it can be is subjective. But the analysis you made here is not talking it down.

What was done before however, calling it "generic" because it's a "third person" "superhero" game with "set pieces"... that is talking it down, because none of the stuff said there is actually bad or makes it generic.

and what would have been it not being generic? Being a puzzle game? A first-person game? what?

If you or people like you are gonna jump on a game back and call it generic simply because of its chosen genre or that it's based on an established IP... then you are being disingenuous or pushing some sort of agenda. If we start calling shit generic based on their genres, then damn... EVERYTHING is generic.

And that shit you are saying about the mechanics of the game is flat-out you talking outta your ass... how can you tell about a game's mechanics from a prototype video? What reasonable human being would even judge anything about a game based on a prototype?

Last edited:
So I watched the full 25ish minute leak and, huh, I mean I guess it's what one should expect from a Sony first party game, so I'm not disappointed per se, but I'm not excited either. It's looks competent, but nothing about it is drawing me in.

It needs some kind of hook to set it apart from all the other Sony mono-games. The combat needs to be more in depth and they should really lean into the M rating with the gore. I mean, for fuck's sake, Logan is stabbing and slashing people with three blades on each hand that are at least a foot and a half long.

Right now, I'll probably buy it like I have with most Sony first party games, but not at full price.

Eiknarf

Banned
So was the only gameplay footage leak that of Wolverine??

The game that should have MORE assets ready, and more trials, would be Venom, seeing as it’s releasing next.

Any leaked Venom gameplay?

themonk

Neo Member
Do you see what you did here? Now this is not talking it down. This describes a genre of game, also known as third-person action-adventure games. Now how easy or difficult it can be is subjective. But the analysis you made here is not talking it down.

What was done before however, calling it "generic" because it's a "third person" "superhero" game with "set pieces"... that is talking it down, because none of the stuff said there is actually bad or makes it generic.

and what would have been it not being generic? Being a puzzle game? A first-person game? what?

If you or people like you are gonna jump on a game back and call it generic simply because of its chosen genre or that it's based on an established IP... then you are being disingenuous or pushing some sort of agenda. If we start calling shit generic based on their genres, then damn... EVERYTHING is generic.

And that shit you are saying about the mechanics of the game is flat-out you talking outta your ass... how can you tell about a game's mechanics from a prototype video? What reasonable human being would even judge anything about a game based on a prototype?
Every single person who watched the prototype clips judged what they saw. Some people are voicing their opinion and some aren’t.

Yes it looks to similar to the Arkham games and there are multiple elements of the game that remind of the new Spiderman games too.

There obviously is some level of lock on system which allows you to go from bot to bot and based off what I SEE I FEEL this will be another generic game.

Why do you virtue signalers have an issue with this?

“HE’S JUDGING WHAT HE SAW” “HOW CAN SOMEONE POSSIBLY WATCH SOMETHING AND HAVE AN OPINION???”

Not all 3rd person action games play like Assasins Creed and Batman…

Last edited:

I saw someone criticize the detective mode.... It's literally one of Wolverine's powers and one that has not been highlighted enough in gaming media if at all.

His senses are top notch, particularly his sense of smell.

It's like criticizing Spider-Man for having a traversal element or criticizing Wolverine for healing because Halo kicked off self-healing as a game mechanic...

I saw someone criticize the detective mode.... It's literally one of Wolverine's powers and one that has not been highlighted enough in gaming media if at all.

It's like criticizing Spider-Man for having a traversal element or criticizing Wolverine for healing because Halo kicked off self-healing as a game mechanic...
What you're saying about his senses is all true. But that doesn't change the fact that it is yet another detective mode to find hidden things in the environment which then trigger cutscenes. We've seen this gameplay before many times and it's totally fair of people to say they're uninterested in that style of gameplay.

Crayon

What does arkham combat even mean? I just watched the gameplay where he's fighting the red ninja guys and it looks nothing like that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I don't think people are criticizing the ability, but rather the boring implementation of said ability. We've done it too many times before in other games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What does arkham combat even mean? I just watched the gameplay where he's fighting the red ninja guys and it looks nothing like that.
Arkham combat is pretty easy to define. Snap lock on attacks to keep a rhythm with characters snapped together over long distances to make the animations work. Counter prompts. Unblockable attacks that must be dodged. Arkham, Spider Man, Shadow of War. Similar to old Assassin's Creed / Ghost of Tsushima but not the same.

Wolverine reminds me more of God of War. But it does some new stuff on its own with the jumping. And then out of combat you have Horizon / Uncharted style stealth and platforming with a light wall run.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I keep seeing newer and newer content of the leak on YouTube.

Pardon my ignorance, but can Sony or Insomniac demand YouTube remove said videos?

Like this;

This looks so lame to me. Tap l1 to activate batman vision and follow ghost trails while Wolverine solves the puzzle out loud. This was played out in 2015 when the witcher 3 came out.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't think people are criticizing the ability, but rather the boring implementation of said ability. We've done it too many times before in other games.
And we can make that criticism from this leak because we are certain how exactly the game is going to play or how these mechanics are going to be implemented.

That's like writing a game off because you hear its a FPS. We all know that you move forward and back and strafe with one stick and turn and look up and down with the other. We all know there's going to be a gun in the middle of your screen. We know there is a fire button and an aim button that makes you zoom in. So yeah, every single FPS over the last 20 years is generic.

You see how stupid and unreasonable I sound? Yeah... exactly.

Top Bottom